NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 02-26-2016, 01:00 PM
M.att C H A R L T O N

Default Got back my first sub from JSA

Quite happy with the Mantle & Maris. The Umbricht & Farrell I didn't see the reason to grade the auto. They are both so-so and really just wanted them authenticated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (78.6 KB, 294 views)
Old 02-26-2016, 01:19 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

two SLuggers and two toughies

Nice sub!

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors

Last edited by Republicaninmass; 02-26-2016 at 01:49 PM.
Old 02-26-2016, 02:43 PM

And a waste of money.
Old 02-26-2016, 03:13 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

I have to think that a Mantle with the 10 auto grade would appeal to some.

Old 02-26-2016, 06:28 PM
M.att C H A R L T O N

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Atkatz View Post
And a waste of money.
Why? I knew they were good but since everyone seems to think that everything is fake; I decided to get an opinion. It isn't a waste of money to me. I've thrown away more when I used to drink. Literally.

So.... Back to cards. Can anyone tell me what an average ball point signature grades at? I'm guessing they knock it down majorly for not being felt tip. Does it have to do with the skipping and invention?
Old 02-26-2016, 09:47 PM
M@rk V3l@rd3

Matt,
I think his point about a waste of money is because, you spent money to get someone to tell you they are real even though you stated that you knew they were real. I have plenty of autos that I know are real and I have no desire to spend money to have someone tell me they are real. I happen to share the opinion that slabbing and grading is a waste of money unless you are about to sell the items and think the grade/slab will increase the selling price more than the cost of slabbing. You may do what you wish as you obviously have a different opinion and that is perfectly fine.
Fortunately for you that Mantle got a 10. There are a lot of people out there who chase grades and you might make a nice bundle if you sell it.

I would think that on PSA's website they might have some sort of guides as to how they grades autos, but I have no idea. Personally, I think it would be terrible to downgrade an auto for not being a sharpie. I would much rather have a vintage signed card, which is more likely to be ball point, for a 60's card, than a new Sharpie sig. There was even a thread not that long ago asking for people's opinion on vintage vs new and almost everyone came down on the side of vintage.
Good luck with your collecting.
Mark

Other interests/sets/collectibles.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/96571220@N08/albums

My for sale or trade photobucket album
https://flic.kr/s/aHsk7c1SRL
Old 02-26-2016, 10:58 PM
M.att C H A R L T O N

Thanks for the replies. I was only going to get them slabbed but was talked in to the auto grade on the M&M's. Very happy with all. I'm getting most of my auto PC slabbed. I know which ones I'll get the auto graded and which ones I want to authenticate. This is purely for peace of mind. My father was an avid TTM guy, he promoted shows(mantle) and struck up pen pal friendships(Maris), and obtained tons at Colt .45 games(Umbricht & Farrell).

I have a few thousand in my collection. I won't be getting them all slabbed but I will be slabbing my Maris run and a few others.

I am the only one in my family that knows much about this stuff. I want them to be protected and authenticated in case anything happens to me. I know I'm young but, unfortunately, I know that means zilch. I really don't want anyone else to have to deal with the headache of "proving" that the autos are real if they ever decide to sell them.
Old 02-26-2016, 11:15 PM
Lou Simcoe
L0u Sim.coe

Nice cards Matt!
Old 02-27-2016, 12:02 AM
M@rk V3l@rd3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laxcat View Post
T
I am the only one in my family that knows much about this stuff. I want them to be protected and authenticated in case anything happens to me. I know I'm young but, unfortunately, I know that means zilch. I really don't want anyone else to have to deal with the headache of "proving" that the autos are real if they ever decide to sell them.
I can totally understand this sentiment, but if I may offer a counterpoint for you to consider.
1) Having them certed doesn't "prove" they are real. It's only an opinion and everyone has an opinion on how good their opinion actually is.

2) What happens if JSA or PSA goes out of business due to scandal like GAI did? Everything slabbed by GAI is now looked at with suspicion and is almost worth less than something unslabbed. If something like that happens all the money you spent on slabbing will be wasted.(Money you could have used buying more autographed cards)

3) If you are concerned about your family, then leave them explicit instructions about which Auction House to bring your items to should you pass suddenly. Whichever auction house you choose will employ the authentication team that is the most in favor at that moment in time and authenticate the as part of the sale. This is pretty standard procedure for all auction houses except for perhaps Lelands. This way you don't spend money now on authentication and have to risk the TPAs ruining their own reputation.

This why I stated what I did before. I would only cert things that I think I am going to sell in the short term if it will make the price go up more than the cost of the cert. The only reason to cert for personal use, IMHO, is if your insurance company demands it as part of your coverage.

Regardless of what you decide, they are great cards and I hope you enjoy collecting.
Mark

Other interests/sets/collectibles.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/96571220@N08/albums

My for sale or trade photobucket album
https://flic.kr/s/aHsk7c1SRL

Last edited by Lordstan; 02-27-2016 at 12:04 AM.
Old 02-27-2016, 12:47 AM
Steven Finley

Great stuff. I love seeing tough autos on playing day's issues. I, for one however, don't get a hard on knocking TPA's so congrats on the solid grades as well.
Old 02-27-2016, 01:00 AM
M.att C H A R L T O N

Thanks guys.
Mark- I agree with the ball point autos. I prefer them. I don't understand the sharpie sigs. They streak and bleed too much for my liking. To me the Maris is more visually pleasing than the Mantle. Here's what I know about how these were obtained: Mantle is from a signing at Fingers Furniture in 1978. The Maris was obtained by my father by simply writing Mr. Maris a letter. Overtime he signed a complete run.

My dad did the TTM to kill boredom while in the Army and while programming. He never really liked the autos. Saw them as "fluff". Direct quote," Why would anyone want a signature they didn't get themselves?"

He might not get it, but I do.

The autographs connect me to a time before I was born. To know that these guys put pen to these cards makes them special to me.

First time I heard about Jim Umbricht I teared up. Still do.
Old 02-27-2016, 03:34 AM
Nick

thats a great looking maris - congrats !!!
Old 02-27-2016, 07:38 PM
Al

great looking cards!

just a few thoughts,
when it comes to selling autographs if something happens to me unexpectedly, i tell my wife to just box everything up and take it to pawn stars in vegas! i feel rick or chumlee will give the most fair price and not try to screw over my wife too much with low ball offers.

when it comes to sharpie. i like pen on vintage cards, for some reason they just look better. sharpie just doesnt look that good to me personally on vintage cards. i think cards before 1980 should be pen and cards after 1980 should be sharpie signed. im a big believer sharpie fades over time, i dont have proof at all they do, but my cards signed in sharpie seem to look different over time (the sharpie ink)

enjoy these cool cards and do what makes you happy, it is your collection after all.
Old 02-29-2016, 08:04 AM
Steve Zarelli

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian bam bam View Post
when it comes to selling autographs if something happens to me unexpectedly, i tell my wife to just box everything up and take it to pawn stars in vegas! i feel rick or chumlee will give the most fair price and not try to screw over my wife too much with low ball offers.
Let's hope you are around for a long while and there is no need for this.

I agree that you'd want to avoid Corey. He is a shameless lowballer... to the point of being unethical in my opinion. (As an aside, I love it when Corey -- someone who has no grasp of anything beyond partying, motorcycles and video games -- stares into the camera and stiffly recites the scripted historical background of an item when he clearly has no clue. This is what passes for a reality TV "expert.")

In all seriousness, just tell her to contact a reputable auction house to take care of it. She ships it off and then waits for the checks.
Old 02-29-2016, 09:29 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

I have my difficult and higher quality autos authenticated, the others there is no need