NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

View Poll Results: Would you have Frank Robinson sign it or leave it single signed?
Add Frank's signature to complete the card 28 62.22%
Leave it alone 17 37.78%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-19-2012, 12:58 PM
J@RR0D

Default Maris Signed Dual Card - Add Another Sig or Keep It Single Signed?

Some discussion started up on the June Pickups thread about this and I'm curious about others opinions. Would you have Frank Robinson sign it or leave it single signed? Remember, Frank's auto is not near as scarce as Maris and his signature quality has gone down drastically in the past few years.

Would having Frank add or take away value? Make it look better or perhaps worse?

Opinions? Thoughts?

Last edited by scmavl; 06-19-2012 at 01:02 PM.
Old 06-19-2012, 01:41 PM
$teve O.

I would leave it as it is.Robinsons signature is really bad.The Maris is nice.
I think it would take away from the Maris.
Old 06-19-2012, 01:45 PM
Sean Brennan

most definetly add robinson. I can't stand incompletes! I have a marx brothers photo signed only by chico whom died first and everyone I see it I think "why didnt the original owner get the others?!?!". you owe it to posterity
Old 06-19-2012, 01:51 PM
James Graham
James Gra.ham

Although I love Maris, I would get Robinson. It would complete the card. Unless you were planning on framing the Maris as a cut, I would add Robinson.
"What I have done after my baseball career -- being able to help people with their lives and getting their lives back on track so they become productive human beings again -- that means more to me than all the things I did in baseball" - Don Newcombe

https://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/jgmp123
Old 06-19-2012, 01:54 PM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Well, first off I think both points that have been brought up are valid and normally I would be on the fence. However, I recently had Stan Musial sign a 3000 hit Sports Illustrated (the one when Aaron got his 3000 and his picture is surrounded by the other, at the time, 3000 hit members). Aaron's sig is perfect but Musial's sig is sooooo bad that it really bothers me. I mean, it is what it is, but if Robinson's sig is getting as bad as others have said, then I'd skip it...or at least prepare for what the possible outcome might be.
Old 06-19-2012, 02:05 PM
Banned

if money is your motivator, keep it single signed.

if you want it complete, and think robinson makes the piece look nicer, then get robinson, but it will be worth more with just maris. thats just a fact.

babe ruth single signed ball is worth more than if you added hank aarons sig to it. if not, then people would be getting aaron, who is still alive, to sign their single signed ruth balls, but they aren't. it's subtraction by addition in some cases.

either way is fine though. it is perfectly fine to look at value over aesthetics or completeness, and also perfectly fine to do it the other way around.

Last edited by travrosty; 06-19-2012 at 02:06 PM.
Old 06-19-2012, 02:44 PM
keith janosky

Jarrod, I have the same example with a 1959 Topps dual card with Nellie Fox and Luis Aparicio. The card has the Fox autograph on it encapsulated with PSA and I thought of breaking it open and putting Aparicio on it to so both have signed it but decided not to so I bought another one of the cards unsigned and got Aparicio to sign it and I'll put both cards in some kind of display.

Last edited by keithsky; 06-19-2012 at 02:45 PM.
Old 06-19-2012, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2686 View Post
Well, first off I think both points that have been brought up are valid and normally I would be on the fence. However, I recently had Stan Musial sign a 3000 hit Sports Illustrated (the one when Aaron got his 3000 and his picture is surrounded by the other, at the time, 3000 hit members). Aaron's sig is perfect but Musial's sig is sooooo bad that it really bothers me. I mean, it is what it is, but if Robinson's sig is getting as bad as others have said, then I'd skip it...or at least prepare for what the possible outcome might be.
Frank Robbie used to have one of the nicest, stylish sigs going, but here is what I believe is a current look at what his autograph looks like.

Perhaps this will help guide your decision...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Frank Robinson ball.jpg (42.3 KB, 169 views)
Old 06-19-2012, 02:51 PM
M@rk Cl@ry

Quote:
Originally Posted by travrosty View Post
if money is your motivator, keep it single signed.

if you want it complete, and think robinson makes the piece look nicer, then get robinson, but it will be worth more with just maris. thats just a fact.

babe ruth single signed ball is worth more than if you added hank aarons sig to it. if not, then people would be getting aaron, who is still alive, to sign their single signed ruth balls, but they aren't. it's subtraction by addition in some cases.

either way is fine though. it is perfectly fine to look at value over aesthetics or completeness, and also perfectly fine to do it the other way around.
Not sure if I agree with the Ruth ball analogy. Apples and oranges. With both guys pictured on the card, it's begging for both to sign it.

Interesting discussion...

Is Frank's autograph that bad? I saw him sign some stuff last year at the HOF induction and it looked fine.
Old 06-19-2012, 02:52 PM
M@rk Cl@ry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Garner View Post
Frank Robbie used to have one of the nicest, stylish sigs going, but here is what I believe is a current look at what his autograph looks like.

Perhaps this will help guide your decision...
Eeeeh, that does look rough. Too bad.
Old 06-19-2012, 03:24 PM

My opinion is from a value POV.

I think the card is one of the least desirable Maris cards to have signed. That's not to say it isn't a great card and a great signature. I just think its not on a lot of Maris collectors' want lists because it wasn't issued during his career and he shares it with another player.

I think adding Robinson would increase the appeal of the card to general autograph collectors, which would then make your card more valuable.

I could see it selling for more to someone because both players signed it than I can for it to sell to a Maris collector.
Old 06-19-2012, 04:29 PM
J@RR0D

Thanks for all of the opinions guys... Keep it going.

Personally, I really like that Maris sig and would hate for it to be "compromised" if FRobby signed it and ran his sig into Maris. Or if it was just an awful sig... However, Frank would balance it out...
Old 06-19-2012, 05:01 PM
Banned

single signed by a long deceased player is almost always more desirable than adding a current living player to it.

if an old card featured lou gehrig and bobby doerr sharin a card, and it was signed by gehrig, would you go and get doerr to sign it now? looking at it from a $$$ perspective it would be worth more with just gehrig. but from another perspective you might want both. there is no wrong way but adding robinson doesnt make sense if you look at it strictly froma $$$ angle.
Old 06-19-2012, 05:19 PM

I'm not sure if that's true when we're talking about this particular card. For Gehrig to sign a card it would have had to have been issued during his career. That's an entirely different scenario. If this particular Maris card was issued during his career and featured Frank Robinson, then I would say no, don't add a signature. However, this card was not issued during Maris' career. I think most Maris collectors would pass on this card and wait for a card issued during his career.

I think Robinson's signature with Maris' would appeal to a different set of collectors than the card presently does.

Just my opinion.
Old 06-19-2012, 05:53 PM
Banned

i respect your opinion. its definitely maris collectors vs. autographed card collectors in general.
Old 06-20-2012, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by travrosty View Post
i respect your opinion. its definitely maris collectors vs. autographed card collectors in general.
Travis,
I would agree with this, FWIW.
Old 06-20-2012, 09:07 AM

I say get it signed. The card is incomplete as is, with Frank's signature the complete version will get more interest, especially from 1975 autographed set collectors.

Last edited by jmhockey23; 06-20-2012 at 09:07 AM.
Old 06-20-2012, 09:38 AM
Josh K.

Default Maris/Robinson signed card...

I would have said to get it signed by Robinson before seeing that signature. But I kind of like the suggestion of getting the same card and having Frank sign it and then displaying them together somehow. Just my 2 cents.

Josh
Old 06-20-2012, 10:06 AM
James Graham
James Gra.ham

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcking2722 View Post
I would have said to get it signed by Robinson before seeing that signature. But I kind of like the suggestion of getting the same card and having Frank sign it and then displaying them together somehow. Just my 2 cents.

Josh

Completely agree with going this route.
"What I have done after my baseball career -- being able to help people with their lives and getting their lives back on track so they become productive human beings again -- that means more to me than all the things I did in baseball" - Don Newcombe

https://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/jgmp123
Old 06-20-2012, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgmp123 View Post
Completely agree with going this route.
Or, alternatively, pick up an autographed Frank Robinson signed version of this card from when his signature still looked great, and display them together. If you could find a nice Frank Robbie signed in blue sharpie, you would have a winner, IMHO...
Old 06-20-2012, 01:31 PM
Chuck Tapia

Here's my dilemma.... many of you have seen this, but the thought had crossed my mind on having Yogi sign it too before it's too late?

I already have it professionally framed and displayed, so I'm never gonna break it out, but i thought I'd get your views on it here....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg my casey yogi.jpg (69.2 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg my Stengel h44805.jpg (78.3 KB, 67 views)
Old 06-20-2012, 01:37 PM
C@rl Greenfeld

I posted on the other thread. From a value standpoint, given that this is probably one of Maris' least popular cards, I think it more valuable signed by both. The main market for this card I think would be set collectors, and when Robinson can no longer sign the card, I think that will significantly impact the value. As I said in the other thread, that 1968 topps card on ebay signed by Mays and Mantle and not Killebrew is in my opinion worth probably $200-$300 less than it wouldbe otherwise. Also, there are a bunch of those Maris signed cards around, but one signed by both would be that much rarer in my mind From a personal viewpoint, I am a sucker for multi signed cards

Last edited by pooh528; 06-20-2012 at 01:39 PM.
Old 06-20-2012, 01:38 PM
C@rl Greenfeld

And I would add Berra to that Stengel for the same reasons.
Old 06-20-2012, 02:36 PM
Steve Zarelli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuddjcal View Post
Here's my dilemma.... many of you have seen this, but the thought had crossed my mind on having Yogi sign it too before it's too late?

I already have it professionally framed and displayed, so I'm never gonna break it out, but i thought I'd get your views on it here....
I would have that magazine in the mail tomorrow to Berra.

While his signature has declined slightly, it still presents well and still bears a strong resemblance to his signature from the era of that magazine. I would send him a black fiber tipped pen similar to what Casey used.
Old 06-20-2012, 03:10 PM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Chuck, I would also have it in the mail to Yogi tomorrow. He still has a good sig but I'm not sure how much longer it will last. I have the same mag but with only Yogi and would kill to have it with both of them. Any chance that this one will ever be up for sale?
Old 06-20-2012, 03:29 PM

Default Autos

Maris/Robinson - If Frank signature had not deteriorated recently, I would have said have him sign it; however, having seen that recent signature - there is no way I would have him sign that card. It would drive me crazy to look at that beautiful Maris signature and see the Robinson scribble.

Stengal/Berra - I agree with others and would have Yogi sign that soon. I had him sign a ball for me about 6 months ago and his signature was still very good! I know it would be tough to break something out of a custom framing (cost, etc); however, you can always reframe something, you ony have a limited time to have Yogi sign that item.

Best of luck to both of you in your decision.

Andy
Old 06-20-2012, 03:35 PM
M@rk V3l@rd3

My answer to both item is to get the second signature.

I can understand the person searching for just a Maris sig might prefer to have just him on the card alone. On the other hand, I think the card collector will pay significantly more for a card with both. This will be especially true once Robinson passes.
In my mind, someone looking for just a Maris example can probably find nicer examples to display. That is not a shot at this card. It's just that a nice 3x5 will display more nicely than a signed card like that one. If it were a Maris Rookie or 61 topps card the situation would be entirely different. Obviously, they would sell for way more than a 3x5, but then we wouldn't be thinking of getting anyone else to sign it either.
I liken getting those items signed to this. If you had a "league batting leaders of 1927" card of Ruth and, say, Paul Waner. Would you rather have the card signed by Ruth alone or Waner as well? Perhaps, at that time, Waner wasn't nearly as important, but now I think the value would be much higher with the pair together, even for a non set collector.
The same holds true for the Sports Illustrated. As a signed Sport magazine collector, I cannot tell how many times I have repeated the phrase "Gee it's too bad they didn't get so and so to sign it before he passed" Will Berra's sig make it worth more tomorrow? Not a lot, but a week after Yogi passes...it'll be a different story.
Just my 2c.

Other interests/sets/collectibles.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/96571220@N08/albums

My for sale or trade photobucket album
https://flic.kr/s/aHsk7c1SRL
Old 06-20-2012, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zipper View Post

While his signature has declined slightly, it still presents well and still bears a strong resemblance to his signature from the era of that magazine. I would send him a black fiber tipped pen similar to what Casey used.
I absolutely agree with Zip! The minimal cost of re-doing the framing job would not stop me from making that happen. Yogi's autograph is still pretty solid, IMHO.
Old 06-20-2012, 04:09 PM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Actually, the cost of reframing could be quite small depending on how the framer put the magazine in. If it has an attachd back matting, then I'd take out the whole thing and send it to Berra, mat and all. If it's floating, meaning that it's encapsulated in a magazine plastic holder, then the mag will come right out and can be replaced. The only problem would be if no back plate...I would then recommend detaching the magazine completely and sending only it in. But the cost of putting it back in and closing it up shouldn
't be more than 20 bucks tops.
Old 06-22-2012, 09:26 AM
M@tt McC@rthy

Default Robinson exemplar on ball...

I would see if you could find an exemplar of Robinson on a flat, not a ball, before making your decision. Signing a ball has to be one of the hardest things to do as you get older...and since you'd be asking him to sign a card, looking at his current signature on a flat would be more representative of what you'd end up with.

Assuming you are comfortable with the quality of Frank's signature today, I say finish the card...the completist in me would go nuts seeing only half the card signed...just as having all three guys on Cal Ripken's rookie card would be what I'd want, not just Cal alone...

Whatever you decide to do, you'll have a great piece! Take care Jarrod...Matt
I collect Hal Chase, Diamond Stars (PSA 5 or better), 1951 Bowman (Raw Ex or better), 1954 Topps (PSA 7 or better), 1956 Topps (Raw Ex or better), 3x5 Hall of Fame Autographs and autographed Perez Steele Postcards. You can see my collection by going to http://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/BigSix.
Old 06-22-2012, 12:27 PM
M@rk V3l@rd3

Here is a flat I had signed by Robinson last September at a show.
I think it is also a good exemplar, because he signed in a small space, like would be needed on a card.

Other interests/sets/collectibles.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/96571220@N08/albums

My for sale or trade photobucket album
https://flic.kr/s/aHsk7c1SRL
Old 06-22-2012, 12:50 PM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Garner View Post
I absolutely agree with Zip! The minimal cost of re-doing the framing job would not stop me from making that happen. Yogi's autograph is still pretty solid, IMHO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zipper

Thanks for the input guys....Maybe when I feel adventurous, I'll give it a try....

I have never done anything like this through the mail. Maybe you can PM me Zip and coach me through the best way to accomplish it:? Where to send it and what not. I know you have done it many times. It's a pretty thin Mag cover. I can just see Yogi trying to sign it ripping it to shreds.

Last edited by Fuddjcal; 06-22-2012 at 12:51 PM.