NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 06-20-2012, 04:57 PM
keith janosky

Default Campanella pre stroke autograph. Are you crazy?

Saw this on Ebay and this guy thinks it's Campanella's pre stroke autograph on a 1988 Pacific card. http://www.ebay.com/itm/ROY-CAMPANEL...item3cc7c6ec70 Really? Don't people do any research?
Old 06-20-2012, 05:01 PM
Richard Simon

He could not bring himself to call it a pre stroke rubber stamp.
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 06-20-2012, 05:39 PM
James Graham
James Gra.ham

So basically this guy WANTS the buyer to pay the $100 for PSA to tell him it's a stamp... Ridiculous....Richard, Have you mentioned anything to the seller?
"What I have done after my baseball career -- being able to help people with their lives and getting their lives back on track so they become productive human beings again -- that means more to me than all the things I did in baseball" - Don Newcombe

https://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/jgmp123

Last edited by jgmp123; 06-20-2012 at 05:39 PM.
Old 06-20-2012, 05:44 PM
Richard Simon

I have not communicated with the seller.
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 06-20-2012, 07:46 PM

Heres an authenticated stamped signature

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Roy-Campanel...item3f18a36a66
Old 06-20-2012, 07:56 PM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Well...it is an authentic stamp.
Old 06-20-2012, 07:57 PM
James Graham
James Gra.ham

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOFAUTOS View Post

Now I've seen everything....
"What I have done after my baseball career -- being able to help people with their lives and getting their lives back on track so they become productive human beings again -- that means more to me than all the things I did in baseball" - Don Newcombe

Old 06-20-2012, 08:20 PM
keith janosky

Seller just ended the listing. Did the right thing
Old 06-20-2012, 08:30 PM
James Graham
James Gra.ham

I sent him a message a while ago...hopefully he heard from a few of us. There was a time when I was new to the hobby and had a hard time finding this stuff out on my own...very glad that I found Net54 and other sites to educate me.

Glad the seller did the right thing.

Old 06-20-2012, 08:37 PM
Richard Simon

Quote:

WOW and double wow,,, oh man, way to go PSA with a real royal screw up.
Got a nice screen shot of it too, this is one for the books.
Also got a screen shot of the verification page.
First they authenticate laser prints and now rubber stamps. Is anyone over there paying ANY attention??
--

Last edited by RichardSimon; 06-20-2012 at 08:44 PM.
Old 06-20-2012, 08:37 PM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithsky View Post
Seller just ended the listing. Did the right thing
Way to go guys, glad to see a good seller out there.

Let's be sure to get the record straight here, the first one was withdrawn , the rubber stamp with the PSA plastic tomb is still up on ebay and firmly ensconced in the PSA database. If I did not see it I would not believe it.
--

Last edited by RichardSimon; 06-20-2012 at 09:30 PM.
Old 06-20-2012, 09:44 PM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Yeah Richard, the topic actually came up this morning when James mentioned he still needed a Campanella and I asked if he was looking for pre or post accident. I went out on the bay and took a quick look and saw that one and a couple others and was able to tell (without ever seeing one before) that they were stamps, yet PSA could not? I guess the B-team was doing the authentication that day
Old 06-20-2012, 10:25 PM
"Thumbs Down Guy"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2686 View Post
Well...it is an authentic stamp.
Authentic stamps of Joe DiMaggio, Larry Doby, Willie Stargell and Ted Williams will be issued by the U.S. Post Office on July 20.

Old 06-20-2012, 10:39 PM
Mike Rich@rds0n

If I'm going to lick a stamp, I prefer
Attached Images
File Type: jpg monroe.jpg (5.0 KB, 147 views)
Old 06-20-2012, 11:52 PM
Banned

This is ridiculous, how can they cash their paycheck over there at psa?

who is passing these? who is looking at them? I assume since Grad is the lead authenticator, he is overseeing all of this? What the heck is going on?

Is a slabbed autograph worth anything these days when it could be a stamp or a copy? unbelievable. There are still people that stick by these companies saying they are the best in the business. Good heavens, help us all.

They can't tell a stamp from a real signature. what a black eye for the hobby, and uncovering these is not a tedious search, they just pop right up all the time.
Old 06-21-2012, 06:21 AM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by travrosty View Post
This is ridiculous, how can they cash their paycheck over there at psa?

who is passing these? who is looking at them? I assume since Grad is the lead authenticator, he is overseeing all of this? What the heck is going on?

Is a slabbed autograph worth anything these days when it could be a stamp or a copy? unbelievable. There are still people that stick by these companies saying they are the best in the business. Good heavens, help us all.

They can't tell a stamp from a real signature. what a black eye for the hobby, and uncovering these is not a tedious search, they just pop right up all the time.
+1
Here is a pic of a rubber stamp Campy that I have had in my hands. It is so easy to tell what it is.
I would find it hard to believe that Grad had the piece in his hand and misidentified it, but that begs the question, who is doing the work over there??
Attached Images
File Type: jpg campanella-rubber-stamp.jpg (24.8 KB, 136 views)
--

Last edited by RichardSimon; 06-21-2012 at 06:56 AM.
Old 06-21-2012, 07:22 AM

Default JimStinson

I'm confused , Is anyone even looking at the submissions ? what gives ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg campystamp.jpg (77.5 KB, 136 views)
Old 06-21-2012, 07:33 AM
James Graham
James Gra.ham

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2686 View Post
If I'm going to lick a stamp, I prefer
As opposed to Mr DiMaggio...I don't blame you....

Old 06-21-2012, 02:28 PM
Ke.n Su.lik

Quote:

Must've been pulled, it doesn't come up. I was in contact with the seller, but he refused to look at the rubber stamps here, he gave the standard "PSA OK'd it, it must be good" response.

Ken
Old 06-21-2012, 02:59 PM
Richard Simon

Ebay pulled it. I do have the screen shot and the cert verification page from the PSA site. I thought it would be wise to save those things.
First they are caught authenticating laser prints, then they are caught on ebay with an authentication of a rubber stamp. IMO the rubber stamp is a much worse incident. Who is minding the store? Who examined that one? Obviously a person who does not know anything about a Campy rubber stamp and that is inexcusable, if they are having people work for them who know so little.
How can they continue to hold themselves out as the top of the business authenticators when things like this happen.
Mistakes are inevitable, authenticators will make them, authenticators will actually disagree on things too. But this Campy is just too far out there for them to excuse it in any way.
--
Old 06-21-2012, 02:59 PM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlywynnfan View Post
Must've been pulled, it doesn't come up. I was in contact with the seller, but he refused to look at the rubber stamps here, he gave the standard "PSA OK'd it, it must be good" response.

Ken
Totally typical.
--
Old 06-21-2012, 03:03 PM
Lar.ry Mur.phy

Ebay didn't pull it as I can still view the item. Where did it say PSA passed it?

Fun.

Larry
Old 06-21-2012, 03:06 PM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkereversandme View Post
Ebay didn't pull it as I can still view the item. Where did it say PSA passed it?

Fun.

Larry
Larry,
the item has been pulled. Hit your refresh button and you will no longer have it up.
The item is in a PSA plastic tomb.
--
Old 06-21-2012, 04:25 PM

Default JimStinson

Pre kindergarden error, along with the famous $50,000 spectrograph machine or whatever it is that call it they should have an optometrist on staff 24/7

Optometry is a health care profession concerned with the health of the eyes and related structures, as well as vision, visual systems, and vision information processing in humans. Optometrists (also known as ophthalmic opticians outside the United States and Canada are licensed medical professionals trained to prescribe and fit lenses to improve vision, and to diagnose and treat various eye diseases.
Old 06-21-2012, 04:29 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Never underestimate the genius of stupidity...

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 06-21-2012, 08:28 PM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimStinson View Post
Pre kindergarden error, along with the famous $50,000 spectrograph machine or whatever it is that call it they should have an optometrist on staff 24/7

Optometry is a health care profession concerned with the health of the eyes and related structures, as well as vision, visual systems, and vision information processing in humans. Optometrists (also known as ophthalmic opticians outside the United States and Canada are licensed medical professionals trained to prescribe and fit lenses to improve vision, and to diagnose and treat various eye diseases.
Sign up & receive my autograph price list. E mail me,richsprt@aol.com, with your e mail. Sports,entertainment,history.
-
Here is a link to my online store. Many items for sale. 10% disc. for 54 members. E mail me first.
--
Old 06-21-2012, 09:55 PM
Banned

its their job to know this, i know they have seen the stamp before, why couldnt they recognize it? they have b team, maybe c team and d team and the stuff gets shoveled in and out, too busy sending several teams to several shows each weekend. it ends up being brute force authentication.

Last edited by travrosty; 06-21-2012 at 09:59 PM.
Old 06-21-2012, 10:22 PM
Wayne Walker

Interestingly, PSA has taken campy's name off of this cert number on their site.

http://s236.photobucket.com/albums/f...NFT/?start=all
Old 06-22-2012, 06:25 AM
Richard Simon

This story gets more interesting every day.
Would be nice to know the name of the person who examined this item but of course with their COA's and the multiple facsimile signatures on them, we will never know.
--

Last edited by RichardSimon; 06-22-2012 at 06:26 AM.
Old 06-22-2012, 07:06 AM
James Graham
James Gra.ham

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardSimon View Post
This story gets more interesting every day.
Would be nice to know the name of the person who examined this item but of course with their COA's and the multiple facsimile signatures on them, we will never know.
Sounds like it would be someone who frequents Net54 since everything basically fell into place once the thread started here...

Old 06-22-2012, 09:23 AM
Richard Simon

Unusual that the cert verification does not list the item.
Could this have been a counterfeit PSA plastic tomb and a seller scam?
--

Last edited by RichardSimon; 06-22-2012 at 09:24 AM.
Old 06-22-2012, 09:42 AM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Richard, I was thinking the same thing. I mean, I know we bag on the 3rd party guys, and rightfully so sometimes, but this was just waaaaaaaay to easy to spot.
Old 06-22-2012, 09:51 AM
Richard Simon

Has anyone ever seen a PSA tomb for autographs that was fake?
A fake plastic tomb together with a cert verification that does not mention the item??
Very unusual circumstances.
--

Last edited by RichardSimon; 06-22-2012 at 09:53 AM.
Old 06-22-2012, 01:44 PM
Ke.n Su.lik

Quote:
Originally Posted by mighty bombjack View Post
Interestingly, PSA has taken campy's name off of this cert number on their site.
Was Campy's name actually listed on the PSA site when this thread started? I never bothered to look it up.

Ken
Old 06-22-2012, 01:54 PM
Wayne Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlywynnfan View Post
Was Campy's name actually listed on the PSA site when this thread started? I never bothered to look it up.

Ken
I don't know, this was the first time I'd looked.

It is not normal for a PSA website verification listing to say "cut" but not have the subject's name. That tells me that they took his name down from their site hastily, not that the slab was faked.

http://s236.photobucket.com/albums/f...NFT/?start=all
Old 06-22-2012, 04:20 PM
Richard Simon

I called PSA customer service and told Veronica the cert number.
She called me back in an hour and the certificate verification page on their website now reads Roy Campanella.
Of course I took a screen shot of it.
--

Last edited by RichardSimon; 06-22-2012 at 04:35 PM.
Old 06-22-2012, 04:25 PM

Default JimStinson

Like Rod Serling would say while exhaling his cigi into the air "We've just walked into THE TWILIGHT ZONE" .......

There is a fifth dimension beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call "The Twilight Zone".
I think he is talking about COA's
Old 06-22-2012, 04:32 PM
Richard Simon

Maybe the COA reads "authentic rubber stamp of Roy Campanella's signature." .
--
Old 06-22-2012, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mighty bombjack View Post
I don't know, this was the first time I'd looked.

It is not normal for a PSA website verification listing to say "cut" but not have the subject's name. That tells me that they took his name down from their site hastily, not that the slab was faked.
If you go through PSA/DNA (blue flip) and have the autograph graded, only the item will be in the database. I had several that we're like this. If you opt out of getting the autograph graded then the player will be listed as well as the item. At least that is from my experience.
Old 06-23-2012, 05:18 PM
Banned

I am assuming Orlando is busy with other stuff than to approve each authentication of autographs since he has the grading division to oversee also.

That leaves Grad, and if he isn't okaying the autographs that others are authenticating, and stupid authentications like these occur, then shame on all of them. If he is okaying these, then they need to reboot and start over.

I would start over, pinpoint the problem, and fix the problem. hello?
Old 06-23-2012, 06:38 PM

Default JimStinson

priorities...lol
1) Did the checks clear
2) Whats for dinner
Old 06-23-2012, 10:29 PM
Banned

If they revamped their system, and accuracy went way up, but profits went down, guess how long the new way of doing it will last?

the board of directors, and stockholders care about one thing, the stock going up. if doing it the quick way gets the stock up, then who cares about accuracy?

it's gonna continue this same way only until consumer confidence is undermined and their loa is tarnished in the marketplace. If that doesn't happen, then they will continue to do it this same way.

They know the problems, they know how to fix them. they weighed the pros and cons and figured it will cost too much to fix them, so they do it the same way. I could fix it right away.
Old 06-24-2012, 03:39 PM
Banned

Someone had posted this on another thread a while back, but here is Campanella using his signing aid device.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg campysign.jpg (20.3 KB, 57 views)