NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 10-20-2013, 09:36 AM
Tho.mas Car.ter

Default Ruined Ted Williams Check

Wow. Just awful.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg $T2eC16RHJF0FFZ0TG7ojBSYqqtRSTg~~60_57.jpg (65.4 KB, 535 views)
Old 10-20-2013, 10:41 AM
Steve Zarelli

Thanks goodness there is only one like this.

Beyond belief.
Old 10-20-2013, 10:44 AM
$teve O.

I hate when the card companies do this.What a waste!
Old 10-20-2013, 11:13 AM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

For all we know, the signature is Charlie Williams.
Old 10-20-2013, 11:27 AM
M@rk V3l@rd3

Too bad.
With the e on the end, it could've been a beautiful "Theodore" Williams. We'll never know.

Other interests/sets/collectibles.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/96571220@N08/albums

My for sale or trade photobucket album
https://flic.kr/s/aHsk7c1SRL
Old 10-20-2013, 11:51 AM
Chris B.

They look nice if they are done right, but that one is garbage.
Old 10-20-2013, 12:04 PM
And.rew Mil.ler

WTF?

That sucks!
Old 10-20-2013, 05:33 PM
Richard Simon

F--- you Topps, and whoever did this at your stinking company really sux.
And my name is here on the post, why not write back to me to explain crap like this.
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 10-20-2013, 05:38 PM
Tho.mas Car.ter

This isn't the first time they have done this. They already made an "Eodore William" cut card.
Also let us Not Forget 2010s Fake Ruth and Gherig 1/1 and the 2009 Fake Ruth Book. I vow I will never purchase another topps product made after 1980.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg teddyballgame.jpg (76.7 KB, 251 views)
Old 10-20-2013, 06:12 PM
Wayne Walker

Ack! Makes me wanna puke.

http://s236.photobucket.com/albums/f...NFT/?start=all
Old 10-20-2013, 06:15 PM
Wayne Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SikSyko View Post
They look nice if they are done right, but that one is garbage.
Agreed. I like the cut cards when they are done aesthetically and with care about the overall appearance of the auto. This and many others made by Topps and Upper Deck definitively do not do that. A real shame.

Old 10-20-2013, 06:22 PM
Steve Zarelli

It really is stunning that Topps can destroy signed memorabilia in this manner and there is not a great hue and cry from the card collecting community.
Old 10-20-2013, 07:16 PM
Tho.mas Car.ter

That's cause new collectors want shiny garbage. I sent them a nasty email. Not that it will do any good but maybe if they get a few hundred nasty emails it will. This should have been a redemption for a full check, framed with the topps logo or something. They could have done this real nice.
Old 10-21-2013, 02:59 AM
And.rew Mil.ler

Is it possible the rest of the check is under the card itself? If one were to try to 'rescue' the cut, I mean, would the whole thing be under there?
Old 10-21-2013, 06:12 AM
Scott

if its just cut like that, its disgusting and is a disturbing thing. All in the name of greed, just like all these "chase cards"

looking for numbered cards or things with purported pieces of bat or jersey. I see kids buy a pack, if they don't get the "hit" they toss the cards away , or whatever.

Legalized gambling and the adults are jut as bad who go after this artificially worthless crap.

RANT OVER
Old 10-21-2013, 10:34 AM
Belltown Vintage

I personally hate these things, but if they are going to do it, it would make more sense for them to cut 'Theodore' and 'Williams' separately, then place one above the other. It would look a lot nicer.
Old 10-21-2013, 10:45 AM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7nohitter View Post
Is it possible the rest of the check is under the card itself? If one were to try to 'rescue' the cut, I mean, would the whole thing be under there?
I really could not say for certain, but I have never heard of that. I would doubt it very much.
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 10-21-2013, 11:18 AM
T0dd M@rcum

Maybe I'm alone, but I don't see a cancelled check to the gas company as a priceless connection to a baseball icon. Done well, these have a much more productive life as part of a card, in my opinion...that said, the one shown in the op was not done well.
Old 10-21-2013, 12:11 PM

I've said this before but before you condemn the card company I think you need to know that this check wasn't cut before they bought it and put it on a card. I see all kinds of things on eBay, from people who cut the two parts of someone's signature up into 2 signatures to people who cut up entire letters and sell them one word at a time. I think until someone finds the source document complete and in tact and can tie it to a mangled card, there might not be any history being destroyed by the card company.

Last edited by packs; 10-21-2013 at 12:11 PM.
Old 10-21-2013, 12:22 PM
Tho.mas Car.ter

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
I've said this before but before you condemn the card company I think you need to know that this check wasn't cut before they bought it and put it on a card. I see all kinds of things on eBay, from people who cut the two parts of someone's signature up into 2 signatures to people who cut up entire letters and sell them one word at a time. I think until someone finds the source document complete and in tact and can tie it to a mangled card, there might not be any history being destroyed by the card company.
That would be even worse as there would be no real way to authenticate it if purchased that way. Also WHY would they purchase it this way? If they purchased it like that then they knew in advance they would be making a piece of crap card.
Old 10-21-2013, 12:27 PM

I have no idea why, but I would think if you're going to cut it up anyway whoever buys these things for them might be looking for something like this.
Old 10-21-2013, 01:14 PM
Wayne Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbcard1 View Post
Maybe I'm alone, but I don't see a cancelled check to the gas company as a priceless connection to a baseball icon. Done well, these have a much more productive life as part of a card, in my opinion...that said, the one shown in the op was not done well.
You are not alone, as I agree with you and think you have stated it nicely (including the "not well done" part). I like baseball cards and I like when they incorporate an auto of a deceased player. Int his instance, this autograph should NOT have been used for this card.

Old 10-21-2013, 01:16 PM
Scott

There is no excusing desecration of a great autograph for this. These cards can be nice if done right, this is a travesty and a disgrace
Old 10-27-2013, 07:14 PM
"Thumbs Down Guy"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbcard1 View Post
You may not be alone, but a cancelled check IS a connection to the person who wrote it... maybe not a "priceless" one in the case of a check to the gas company, but still, it's a complete document signed by the person in question. I collect checks signed by celebrities and I'm repulsed when I see ANY check cut up and used as a "cut" signature.

The only exception MIGHT be in cases when the checks are "damaged" by the family before going out. The only Bowie Kuhn checks I recall seeing are those where only the right half exists, maybe the family tore them to protect sensitive information (addresses, routing numbers). If a cut signature comes from a check that is known to have been already "damaged," then using it as part of a card might be acceptable.
Old 10-27-2013, 07:17 PM
"Thumbs Down Guy"

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
I see all kinds of things on eBay, from people who cut the two parts of someone's signature up into 2 signatures to people who cut up entire letters and sell them one word at a time.
I've seen those, from names like George Washington and Abraham Lincoln. To the best of my knowledge such items come from documents that have been verified to have no historical significance, such as surveryor's papers or mundane legal documents. Yes, in an ideal world even documents like these wouldn't be cut, but they do allow the true collector an opportunity to own an example of handwriting from a historical figure for a contextually low price.