NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 02-21-2016, 07:16 PM
Curt

Default Rick Anderson 81T

Wondering if someone here won this. I was watching this, but it was already at $1500+ when I spotted it, so no bids from me!

I am aware of his story and have looked on and off for his autograph because I am trying to get as many of the 77T-87T Mariners cards signed as I can find, but looks like this one will be a hole in my collection forever if this is the market rate for a Rick Anderson signed card!

However, something strikes me funny about this signature too. There is another Rick Anderson who is still alive, also a MLB pitcher, and his signature is similar. If the deceased Anderson is so scarce, and i am sure it is fairly uncommon to say the least given his short and unimpressive career, how did the PSA experts determine this was real? Did the other Anderson sign this card (but why would he), is this a fake thinking nobody would ever be able to tell or is this really that Rick Anderson?

I'd love to know that this is real and if other signatures are out there. I think this is his only MLB card.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rick Anderson 81T Auto.jpg (76.4 KB, 288 views)
Old 02-21-2016, 10:04 PM
Derek 0u3ll3tt3

That's an insane price, and if another surfaced I would bet it wouldn't go nearly as high, since one of the two competitors already won this one. This was a perfect storm of bidding.

Side note - It's a shame Rodney Craig didn't sign this one to finish it off, as he passed away last year.
Old 02-22-2016, 12:55 AM
Steven Finley

The seller is a frequent poster on another board, and with his reputation I wouldn't question the signature for a moment. He actually had cracked the card and had it in the hands of Craig's family to be signed at the time they found him diseased so it was literally days if not hours from being completed. I wouldn't, however, doubt that a second card couldn't match that price. Set collectors are a furious bunch, plus there are collectors like the OP who collect teams. Great card and a strong price.
Old 02-22-2016, 08:03 AM
T0m C@rf@gn0

Rick Anderson is super tough. I have one of his signatures...not sure if it is on a postcard or an index card. I can imagine that his only baseball card would be nearly impossible.

Tom C
Old 02-22-2016, 05:10 PM

The seller does have a very good reputation on the other board.
Old 02-22-2016, 06:25 PM
Derek 0u3ll3tt3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbfinley View Post
He actually had cracked the card and had it in the hands of Craig's family to be signed at the time they found him diseased so it was literally days if not hours from being completed. I wouldn't, however, doubt that a second card couldn't match that price. Set collectors are a furious bunch, plus there are collectors like the OP who collect teams. Great card and a strong price.
Wow, I didn't know how close it was to having Craig on it, what a story! I know Anderson is tough, but he didn't pass away until 1989, hard to imagine there aren't more signed copies out there. He was found with an autograph request in his hand when he passed away so I always assumed he was repsonsive to TTM requests, was this not the case? Was he a notorious non-signer when he was alive?
Old 02-22-2016, 07:53 PM
Steven Finley

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmopar View Post
Wondering if someone here won this.
Someone mentioned on the other board that KO won the auction and matching up feedbacks verifies this. Looks like from the bid history he just put in a nuclear bid and it held up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgo71 View Post
Wow, I didn't know how close it was to having Craig on it, what a story! I know Anderson is tough, but he didn't pass away until 1989, hard to imagine there aren't more signed copies out there. He was found with an autograph request in his hand when he passed away so I always assumed he was repsonsive to TTM requests, was this not the case? Was he a notorious non-signer when he was alive?
From what I understand with his situation he struggled with depression and other issues most of his short life after baseball. When had it under control he was very gracious, but unfortunately those times were few and far between. I can't imagine this is the lone example out there (I was told of collector who found a signed copy in a bargain bin at the National or another major show a few years back, but I haven't seen it to verify it), but yes indeed it is very rare.
Old 02-22-2016, 08:24 PM
Curt

Craig seems to be tough, but not super tough. His demise was a tragic case as well. That card triple signed would be amaze like Andersonng, as all 3 are not "common" common autographs!

The whole 81T Mariners team set is loaded with tougher than normal players. A nightmare for a Mariners auto collector like myself!
Old 02-27-2016, 01:23 PM
John Smithwick

This card, too, piqued my interest. Like the OP, I think the signature on the card is similar to the auto of the New York Mets Rick Anderson.

Several years ago, I purchased a few thousand baseball autographs from the estate of a collector/dealer I had known for several years who actively collected into the early 1980's. I found these two Rick Anderson signed index cards in that collection. The first he identified as the Rick Anderson who pitched for the Mariners:

This one he identified as the Mets' pitcher:

Obviously, both are quite different. So, did PSA err?