NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 10-23-2018, 07:56 PM

Default 2019 national chicago. Cash or no cash, thats the question...

So I live just a few hours from the convention center in chicago. Never been to the national due to a big golf outing the same weekend. Next year im going for sure. My trouble is deciding if people bring cash, or do a paypal transaction while there. I understand bringing 1-2k along, but walking around downtown chicago with say 15-20k just doesnt seem like the best idea. So if anyone has any suggestions on typical protocol, that would be great. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-23-2018, 08:43 PM

https://www.flickr.com/photos/149024462@N04/albums
Old 10-23-2018, 10:15 PM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

The National is in Rosemont, not Chicago. It is right behind O'Hare Airport. If you were staying in that area you would be 6-8 miles from downtown Chicago. It seems like a relatively safe area. There are a number of hotels within walking distance and others with shuttles that will drop off and pick up at the front door. If you are discreet it is very easy to carry large amounts of cash, especially is you split it up between several pockets and the bottom of a backpack or briefbag that does not leave your person. I was making a sale to someone at the food area in Cleveland this year. He went to pay me and pulled out packs of $100's. You could not even tell he had them on his person.

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”
Old 10-24-2018, 01:43 AM
James
James Kin.chen

As Michael said, cash in that area shouldn't be a problem. Not all dealers are willing to take Paypal and the ATMs in the convention center ran out of money by Saturday at last year's show
James
Old 10-24-2018, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael B View Post
The National is in Rosemont, not Chicago. It is right behind O'Hare Airport. If you were staying in that area you would be 6-8 miles from downtown Chicago. It seems like a relatively safe area. There are a number of hotels within walking distance and others with shuttles that will drop off and pick up at the front door. If you are discreet it is very easy to carry large amounts of cash, especially is you split it up between several pockets and the bottom of a backpack or briefbag that does not leave your person. I was making a sale to someone at the food area in Cleveland this year. He went to pay me and pulled out packs of $100's. You could not even tell he had them on his person.

Thanks for the advice everyone, and yes its a decent area and assuming most people around the convention center are doing the same thing makes it an easier decision

Old 10-25-2018, 01:01 PM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyboggs View Post
Thanks for the advice everyone, and yes its a decent area and assuming most people around the convention center are doing the same thing makes it an easier decision

Most people in the area will be there for that. In 2011 or 2013 the outlet mall down the street had its grand opening at the same time which increased traffic on the main drag, but it is not really a pedestrian area.

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”
Old 10-29-2018, 10:59 AM
Rick McQuillan

Default Cash

I would be vigilant if you bring your own car and park in the huge parking ramp. Some areas are a little dark and isolated. The same things applies to the elevators and stairwells coming to and from the parking area.

As far as dealers accepting other methods of payment, it seems outdated to me that they won't accept PayPal, etc. I started accepting PayPal, Debit and Credit cards, along with Venmo and Google Pay at card shows. My sales have increased because of this. There is a paper trail, so I would guess that the reason for dealers accepting only cash has to do with tax avoidance.

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.
Old 10-29-2018, 02:09 PM
Steve Birmingham

I'm old fashioned so I like cash. But I usually don't have all that much to take to a show.

A friend of mine that does craft shows has Square, a setup for cards that works on the phone or tablet. Hardly any of his stuff is expensive. usually around $30. He says that almost all of his sales were done through square.

When we started accepting cards at the bicycle shop back around 2001 or 2002, our sales doubled.

The way technology is today, I can't see someone not taking cards or electronic payments in some way
Old 10-30-2018, 09:53 AM
je.sse @rnot

I prefer not to carry large amounts of cash if it's not necessary. My plan at the last national if I found a dealer not willing to accept PayPal or a check from me despite hobby friends who would vouch for me would have been to uber to the bank and back to get cash.
Old 10-31-2018, 09:09 PM
Jim Makar

Honestly, the cost involved in setting up at the national weeds out many of the dinosaurs. This isnt your weekend $20 card show. And while cash is king, lets get real about walking around with 20k, 50K or more. Now that I think about it, maybe I should offer cash for paypal ff.....of course there would be a small traansaction fee lol.
Old 11-09-2018, 02:35 PM
Tim Hadley
Tim Ha.dley

I plan to start burying wadded up bills in coffee cans outside the convention center in spring after the thaw. That way I don't have to carry around a lot of cash, my wife doesn't know how much I have and I avoid atm fees! Just have to remember where I buried them.