NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 03-22-2014, 12:42 AM
Bill Gregory

Default Ok, here's a question...

Hey guys,

I'm wondering if anybody can answer this question for me. I'm in the process of upgrading my baseball movies from DVD to Blu Ray. Some are not yet available on Blu Ray, among them Eight Men Out, apparently.

Yet, I have it saved on my DVR, and it's in high def.

If it's not been released on Blu Ray, how was EPIX able to acquire a high definition copy of the movie to broadcast? I don't know if it's 1080p, but it's at least 720p.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 03-23-2014, 01:52 PM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the 'stache View Post
Hey guys,

I'm wondering if anybody can answer this question for me. I'm in the process of upgrading my baseball movies from DVD to Blu Ray. Some are not yet available on Blu Ray, among them Eight Men Out, apparently.

Yet, I have it saved on my DVR, and it's in high def.

If it's not been released on Blu Ray, how was EPIX able to acquire a high definition copy of the movie to broadcast? I don't know if it's 1080p, but it's at least 720p.
As far as HD quality, I'd assume it's probably more of a digital upscale, than it is actual HD.. Simply playing the dvd in a bluray player or an upscaling dvd player, would probably net you the same results..

Last edited by novakjr; 03-23-2014 at 01:54 PM.
Old 03-23-2014, 11:35 PM
Bill Gregory

That makes sense, David, for home use. My Sony Blu Ray player does a phenomenal job of upconverting my DVDs. Would a premium channel like EPIX do that though?

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 03-12-2015, 10:50 AM
Bill Gregory

Bumping this up for further discussion.

I've had a nice run adding to my baseball movie/documentary collection. My goal is to build an unrivaled baseball collection.

Since listing my five favorite baseball films, I've picked these up:

The Essential Games of the Milwaukee Brewers(not pictured)-a nice 4 disc collection including four of the most memorable games from our team's history. Game 5 of the 1982 ALCS, which gave Milwaukee its first pennant since the Milwaukee Braves won the National League in 1958. Game 4 of the 1982 World Series. The 2008 Wild Card clincher, which put us into the post seasons for the first time since 1982. And, game 5 of the 2011 NLDS, the first post season series we've won since the 1982 ALCS. Also included are a series of highlights from other games, including Ben Sheets' 18 strikeout performance, the game in Arizona where both Jeromy Burnitz and Richie Sexon hit three home runs in the same game, and the first of Ryan Braun's three home run games. It also has a nice retrospective of the 1982 Brewers, and a Hall of Fame profile of Robin Yount. Yes, I know, pretty slim pickings, but I still love my team, no matter how infrequently they win any meaningful games.

Legends in Pinstripes-From HBO films, three of their New York Yankee-related documentaries: Babe Ruth, Where Have You Gone, Joe DiMaggio and The Definitive Story of Mickey Mantle. This is the Mantle one I've had sitting on my DVR for the last three years or so, narrated by Liev Schriber. So, at least I have it should the DVR die on me. I'd never seen the documentary on DiMaggio. Loved it. I've always been a fan of the Yankee Clipper. Hell, I've always been an admirer (though somewhat begrudgingly) of the Yankees. DiMaggio was the perfect ballplayer. The Yankees really couldn't have won any more World Series rings than they did with him already, but I shudder to think how invincible the Yankees might have been had Mantle and Whitey each been born about 5 years earlier. Take 1950, for example. They won 98 games. The lineup with Mantle would have been...frightening.

Eight Men Out, the Twentieth Anniversary Edition. I didn't have this in my collection already. I just had it saved on my DVR from when HD Net showed it. It was worth the $10 just to get the new documentaries that weren't on the first DVD release.

Warner Brothers 4 Film Favorites-Classic Baseball. This was a steal for me. $11.29 delivered for these great films:

Pride of the Yankees.
Fear Strikes Out
Bang The Drum Slowly
Cobb

I've seen Cobb, and have it, too, on the DVR after appearing on Cinemax. The others, interestingly enough, I have never seen. So, I will be watching them starting this weekend.

Abou $60 for all of these (the Brewer collection I did not include in this picture). I am a happy baseball fan!

I also have to say that I have very much enjoyed Million Dollar Arm. I wasn't sure what to think of it, but I gave it a chance, and liked it quite a lot, especially the second half. It won't crack my top five, but it's one I'll buy on Blu Ray for sure. It gets back to what baseball is all about, it my opinion.

Speaking of Blu Rays, I added Bull Durham, The Natural, A League of Their Own, 42, and the HBO doc When it Was a Game complete set. I am also going to add Moneyball and Trouble With the Curve, which I have been watching on Vudu since getting those for my father on Blu Ray, as well as Major League and Field of Dreams. I have already ordered Fever Pitch, too.

Last edited by the 'stache; 03-12-2015 at 10:52 AM.
Old 03-12-2015, 11:16 AM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Default My baseball movie collection:

Well, I can't believe I never responded to this thread before. I guess I have more Baseball Movies than most. As far as which are my favorites - well, that has changed over time...I don't seem to appreciate Major League or The Natural as much as when they first came out, but that doesn't mean they're not good movies.

Feel free to ask me about any of these and I will give my honest opinion:

BULL DURHAM
EIGHT MEN OUT
FIELD OF DREAMS
FOR LOVE OF THE GAME
MAJOR LEAGUE (B-R)
MILLION DOLLAR ARM (B-R)
MR. BASEBALL
MONEYBALL (B-R)
PASTIME
42- THE JACKIE ROBINSON STORY (B-R)
61*
SOUL OF THE GAME
SUMMER CATCH
TALENT FOR THE GAME
THE BINGO LONG TRAVELING ALL-STARS AND MOTOR KINGS
THE BRONX IS BURNING
THE NATURAL
THE PRIDE OF ST. LOUIS
THE ROOKIE
THE SANDLOT
THE SCOUT
THE WINNING TEAM
TROUBLE WITH THE CURVE (B-R)

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 03-14-2015, 09:39 PM

Hey 'stache, Unless this hasn't been mentioned, and by some chance you are unaware of this firm, you ain't seen nothing yet until you tap into:

www.raresportsfilms.com

Owned and operated by long-time sports card collector Doak Ewing of Naperville, Illinois, his selection of baseball, football, auto racing, and a few etcs. is second to none. His web site is very easy to maneuver, and he provides the rundown on each of his titles. He'll do a bulk-purchase discount, too. His stuff isn't cheap, but this is truly an instance where quality does not come with a discount. I have a bunch of Doak's VHS tapes, and love them all. I believe all his offerings are now on DVD. ---Brian Powell
Old 03-14-2015, 11:21 PM
J Ryan
Banned

not the babe ruth movie with john goodman, finally watched it on the MLB network and it sucked.
Old 03-14-2015, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian1961 View Post
Hey 'stache, Unless this hasn't been mentioned, and by some chance you are unaware of this firm, you ain't seen nothing yet until you tap into:

www.raresportsfilms.com

Owned and operated by long-time sports card collector Doak Ewing of Naperville, Illinois, his selection of baseball, football, auto racing, and a few etcs. is second to none. His web site is very easy to maneuver, and he provides the rundown on each of his titles. He'll do a bulk-purchase discount, too. His stuff isn't cheap, but this is truly an instance where quality does not come with a discount. I have a bunch of Doak's VHS tapes, and love them all. I believe all his offerings are now on DVD. ---Brian Powell

Great resource there, I have purchased four of his DVDs, three of which were World Series from the 1960s.

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente

Last edited by clydepepper; 03-16-2015 at 01:27 PM.
Old 03-16-2015, 05:01 AM
Bill Gregory

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian1961 View Post

www.raresportsfilms.com

Oh...my...God...Brian.

I hate you. I really hate you! Seriously. I wish you'd never shown me that site, haha. I have to forget about it, or I may go broke buying up every baseball game he has.

In all seriousness, thank you! I have bookmarked it, and when I calm down a little on my Blu Ray buying, I'm going to peruse his collection, and see what I'd like to get. Just a cursory glance at some of the items he has listed has my eyes popping out, and my heart fluttering like a 16 year old boy trying to unfasten a bra in the back seat of a car for the first time.

I saw an archive site maintained by NFL Films, but I think the films were very expensive, and I saw a lot of my "dream games" were missing. If this man has even a small portion of what I want, I might be going poor very soon, lol.

See, this one alone is giving me an excited twitch:

Please note this image belongs to Rare Sports Films. Linking here for illustrative purposes only!

He has a 1972 Brewers-Angels game from County Stadium. Oh my...

Old 03-16-2015, 11:55 AM

Bill, I am relieved you don't actually hate me, but I do realize the sheer cost is enormous. You simply must read on his website what Doak actually does with his films that he purchases before he puts a given title on the market. I think you will be impressed and convinced that he does not offer any junk. He's very proud of what he does and rightly so.

The official World Series films, the films that were produced by a team sponsor and shown at civic groups, and other kinds of public relations venues, and the documentaries of various sports stars are staggering. One I have not purchased is an actual TV broadcast of Happy Felton's Knothole Gang, a Brooklyn-area kids show that was aired prior to a Dodgers game. Happy would have a Dodger player as a guest, and I vaguely recall that on one of the few episodes Doak offers the guest is Jackie Robinson. These are black 'n white kinescopes, so it's far removed from HD, but pretty much the same quality as what a little guy would see on his black 'n white TV back in 1955. I give this as an example, not that I know whether you're a Dodger fan, but to convey that Doak Ewing offers things that no one does. He comes up with some Dueseys. Let's just say, other than maybe the World Series films, you shan't find these at Wal-Mart.

As you have already come to know, these films complement our sports card collecting.

Cheers, bro. Have a swell day. ---Brian Powell
Old 03-16-2015, 01:25 PM

Bill- I have four DVDs from RareSportsFilms and they are wonderful. I will suggest, however, that you notice the length of each before purchasing.

I bought Summer of 1957 as it is 3 hours and 24 minutes long. Great Stuff !!

Old 03-16-2015, 02:44 PM
Sco.tt Mar.cus

In no particular order:

61*
Field of Dreams
Fever Pitch
Bull Durham/A League of Their Own

I keep going back and forth on whether to put Bull Durham or ALoTO as the last one. My anti-Yankees tendencies are strong enough to keep Pride of the Yankees off there, but I will give it an honorable mention.
Old 03-16-2015, 06:50 PM
Steve P
Steven Pacc.hiano

I winder if "they" will ever make a movie called ..."73*"
Successful transactions with: Drumback, Mart8081, Obcmac, Tonyo, markf31, gnaz01, rainier2004, EASE, Bobsbats, Craig M, TistaT202, Seiklis, Kenny Cole, T's please, Vic, marcdelpercio, poorlydrawncat, brianp-beme, mybuddyinc, Glchen, chernieto , old-baseball , Donscards, Centauri, AddieJoss, T2069bk,206fix, joe v, smokelessjoe, eggoman, botn, canjond

Looking for T205's or anything Babe Ruth...email or PM me if you have any to sell.
Old 03-16-2015, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilKing00 View Post
I winder if "they" will ever make a movie called ..."73*"
I have often windered that myself.

Old 03-16-2015, 09:09 PM
Jim H

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydepepper View Post
I have often windered that myself.
Does anyone know if any other baseball movies are being made?
Old 03-17-2015, 07:19 AM
Pete Sycks

Top 5

Major League
Sandlot
Bull Durham
Pelotero

Over rated list:
Field of dreams

http://syckscards.weebly.com

Always looking for 1938 Goudey's
Old 03-17-2015, 02:01 PM
Mike Dugan

Jim- While not a movie, Ken Burns has a documentary set for 2016 on Jackie Robinson.

Also from a selfish point, there is another documentary due in October; The First Boys of Spring" produced by 4 time Emmy winner Larry Foley on the birth of Spring Training in Hot Springs, Arkansas.
Old 03-18-2015, 03:38 PM
Bill Gregory

See, this thread is emblematic of why I love Net 54 so much. The discussion, and the knowledge, is incredible.

Last edited by the 'stache; 03-18-2015 at 03:41 PM.
Old 03-18-2015, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the 'stache View Post
See, this thread is emblematic of why I love Net 54 so much. The discussion, and the knowledge, is incredible.
That's a huge compliment coming from someone whose own contributions and tireless research are without par on this forum.

Old 03-20-2015, 06:05 AM
Bill Gregory

Appreciate the compliment, Raymond.

Old 03-20-2015, 09:26 PM
I@n Cl@rke

I second Raymond's comment. Bill "James" Gregory posts some pretty awesome stuff. I thought I was a stat geek (used to memorize player stats and doodle them in class as a kid), but I've got nothing on Bill. It's fun because I always go straight to baseball reference after reading one of his breakdowns, usually learning something new or seeing something it from a new angle. Keep em coming Bill.

Speaking of which, I can't wait for baseball season!!
Old 03-23-2015, 02:32 AM
Bill Gregory

Thank you, Ian. I appreciate the kudos. I really do. It makes me feel good to know that my little baseball obsession will occasionally lead to something thought provoking, and interesting. I may draw conclusions that others don't agree with, but that's part of the fun, isn't it? I appreciate any opinion expressed here, especially when that opinion differs from my own, as it makes me rethink my position, and analyze things further. And like you, Ian, I was a stat geek, too, as a kid. I used to burn through pages of notebook paper, writing out baseball player statistics from memory.

What can I say? I have loved baseball since I was a little kid. I began playing organized baseball when I was ten years old. I was always the smallest player on my W.P.R. (Waukesha Park & Recreation) baseball team. I couldn't run very fast, nor could I throw the ball very far. And, I couldn't hit the ball very far, either, so I was always near the bottom of the order. I didn't strike out. I had a pretty good eye. I just didn't hit the ball all that hard.

The very little 11 year old guy holding the bat in the front row is me, circa summer 1983.

But one thing I could do, however, was catch anything hit within ten feet to my right or left. I became a darned good second baseman, and since I didn't have to throw very far, I found my home there. I was the Jimmy Gantner of the W.P.R. Braves. My dad, the tall, skinny drink of water in the white t shirt, saw my defensive genius, and coached me up. We spent a lot of time going to the batting cages, too. And I didn't stay in the bottom of the order for long. By age 15, my final year playing organized baseball, I'd hit a growth spurt. My father is 6'1", and my mom 5'8", so it was inevitable. I never got as tall as my father, but I did fill out. And the years of playing tennis, and the hand-eye coordination that came with it, finally paid off. I was a line drive machine. I hit third in the lineup, and I was driving people in left and right. But, a broken elbow that fall pretty much put an end to my baseball aspirations, and ever since then, I have watched the game enthusiastically. I have learned everything I could about the game's history. But I will always wonder how good a hitter I could have been. Not long before messing up my back, I made a trip out to Las Vegas to see my friend, Brett. And we went to a batting cage that was unique as far as I knew. It was a series of cages lined up next to each other, and the outfield walls were patterned after the walls of Major League stadiums. You had the Green Monster in left. You had the ivy of Wrigley Field. You had the short porch in right field like in Yankee Stadium. I got in the cages one last time, and I was hitting 80 mph pitching all over the field. I just missed clearing the Green Monster twice. I don't think it was full sized, but in my heart, I like to believe it was.

Old 03-23-2015, 07:36 AM

From one whose father was gone way too early, everyone who had or has one should cherish the times, both good and bad.

Good stuff...as usual, Bill...thank you.