NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-29-2005, 10:00 AM
Administrator

Default A memorial to a fallen oldcardboard collector

Posted By: Darren J Duet MD

On this day in 1991 my brother passed away as a result of suicide. He was a fellow collector and good friend. As I've mentioned in previous threads his favorite was collecting Ernie Banks-because he was always smiling in his photos. He would be 33yrs old if he still were with us, but to us he will be perpetually 19.

Old 04-29-2005, 10:07 AM
Administrator

Posted By: rob

10 years is a difficult anniversary to swallow...on may 2nd, three days from, it will be 12 years since my fathers' passing at the ripe old age of 48. I remember 10 years as being a marvel that it had been so long. While my father was not a card collector, we made a yearly pilgrimage to cooperstown from 1980-1989, staying at the Otesaga, until I went off to college. He was a SABR member and had a true love for the history of the game, growing up a brooklyn dodger fan from NYC. My recent interest in vintage cards has only proven to evoke feelings from long ago, and I feel lucky to have touched the passion he once felt.

Old 04-29-2005, 10:08 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barry arnold

Darren,

The depths of your heartfelt memorial moved me greatly.
The image of Ernie brings it such clarity and warmth.

We all remember with you our fellow, brother collector.

All the best

Barry Arnold

Old 04-29-2005, 12:55 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rich Klein

I went through a course about 3 1/2 years ago so I could do a crisis line and the one class which is the hardest for all the students to get through are the survivor's stories.
If you think you are strong enough to do it -- I'd recommend finding a "crisis center" and seeing if they do any courses like that so you can talk about your brother and his struggles. While we can't bring him back, we can certainly use his example to hopefully save some other troubled young man (or woman) some day.

Regards and continued good luck in dealing with it -- it will never be easy

Rich Klein

Old 04-29-2005, 01:27 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

Darren, my thoughts are with you. My father passed away in 1991 at the age of 46. It still seems like yesterday to me.

Old 04-29-2005, 01:35 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bryan Long

I know how it feels. I lost my grandfather this past Sunday. He was actually my wife's grandfather but since I never knew mine he was the one that I never had. Keep your head up and remember the good times.

Old 04-29-2005, 07:59 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Darren J Duet

Thank you for your comforting words and allowing me this outlet. It's amazing how people I've never met could exude such warmth. maybe had kevin been able to realize the good that is in this world things would be different.

Old 04-29-2005, 10:15 PM
Administrator

Posted By: tim Mayer

Darren,

Sorry for your loss,

I know you think of your brother everyday...

it's great that he is still with you in cards....
I am sending out a prayer for you, as it is always difficult remembering...

best...

Old 04-29-2005, 11:12 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

My sympathies. ..take care

Old 04-30-2005, 06:23 AM
Administrator

Posted By: andrew

My thoughts go out to you. I lost my fathers in August of last year and I am not sure I will ever get over it. I am 41 years old but my father and I started collecting cards when I was 16 and we went to every card show and card shop in the area. Most of the dealers knew the 2 of us and I am not sure if they would recognize either one of us if the other was not there!!!

Going to the national is going to be very difficult for me as he looked forward to these shows. But I know he is in a better place and will be there in spirit.

I just realized that I kind "hijacked" this thread. What was supposed to be heart felt sympathy for one turned into rememberances of my own.

Darren and the others my heart goes out to you!! You and your families will be on my thoughts and prayers!!

Old 04-30-2005, 10:27 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Adam J. Moraine

Darren,

I know how you feel. I have lost three friends to suicide. One in 2000 (age 17) one in 2002 (age 20) another in 2003 (age 45, The 17 year olds'father)One in particular, the 20 year old, one of my best friends' Donnie, loved our game more than life itself. Baseball was Donnie's pride and passion, it even said so in his obituary.He played the game the same way, with pride and passion. My thoughts and prayers are with you, Darren.

Best Regards,

Adam J. Moraine

Old 04-30-2005, 10:44 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie

turn 70. Don't forget to get everything straight with your parents while they're still around! Can't say, "Hey, mom, do you still remember--" when she's been dead 10 years.

My sympathies to those of you who have had untimely losses,
natural, or painfully otherwise...

Old 04-30-2005, 12:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

Darren, I'm sure that in the future when I see Ernie Banks items I will be reminded that he was your brother's favorite. I hope that the fact that your brother will in the minds of others, like me, is of comfort.

Old 04-30-2005, 12:28 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Darren J. Duet

Thanks again everyone,
I empathize and pray for all who have suffered losses. I appreciate your sharing.

Kevin was an excellent baseball player and artist--He had just flunked out of a Mississippi JuCo where he a starting left fielder--that apparently crushed him more than we could realize at the time. He had a very quick bat and great hitting eye- he once hit 3 home runs in an American Legion game.

I remember once in an American Legion game in Houma, La.; Kevin was 15 and I was 17, we faced Scott Sanderson of the Thibodaux Legion team. Well it was Sanderson's last year before he moved onto bigger and better things, and he was mowing us down like crazy. In the seventh Sanderson had a perfect game going and was leading 2-0, I came up and struck out(again) but this time the catcher missed the ball and I reached first on his error. Sanderson then fanned the next two batters and our coach decided to let kevin(the rookie)pinch hit. Fourteen pitches later, Kevin cranked one out to right center.

In the bottom of the inning Thibodaux scored to win the contest. After the game Scott said he tried everthing to get that kid out but the kid kept fouling all his good pitches off until he got a hold of one. After the game Kevin said,"I was just waiting on my pitch."

Old 04-30-2005, 02:35 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

My brother died in an accident when he was fourteen. It was the most traumatic time of my life. My family was never the same after it. My sympathies to anyone who has to go through such a heartwrenching experience, to Darren and to anyone else.