NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-09-2004, 09:04 AM
Administrator

Default Missing N28 card, STOLEN!

Posted By: Nick

Hi Guys,
Although I am a regular reader of this forum, this is my first post and I could really do with your help. I recently purchased a psa 8 graded N28 Allen & Ginter Glassc**k card on ebay (item #2781827016)(sorry, I don't know how to post a link)

The card was posted to me via insured mail and all I received was an empty box. I picked the parcel up a few days ago from my local parcelforce office and signed for it. I also paid £202 cash in import duty for the "privilege" of picking up an empty box! The box was sealed with clear tape and the weight stated on the post office label was an ounce and a half heavier than when I weighed it after opening it, thus the card must have been in the package when sealed and posted.

The same card was sold in Superior's auction on 12/6/01 Lot #2 and a clear image is available on their auction archives page. The same card was then resold in Leland's Dec 2002 auction lot # 1703 and again a clear image is available.

The customs form on the package stated "baseball card, value $2000" and I presume the card was taken from the box somewhere in postal transit. As many of you have access to various auctions and card shows in the US, I was wondering if you could put the word out for me or keep an eye out for the card?

I am in the UK and have collected cards for nearly 30 years now. I am a member of PSA and SGC and I plan to write to both companies and explain what has happened should the card be cracked and resubmitted. It is 1 of 8 cards graded psa NM/MT and appears to be in beautiful condition but is centred slightly to the left. I would think that should the card come up for sale/auction it would be easily recognisable.

I am absolutely gutted by this whole experience and am contemplating giving up card collecting because of it. I'm finding it very hard to feel the same way about cards as I have been concentrating on the N28 set and it is the pride and joy of my whole collection. I am in contact with the seller regarding this loss and he is doing all he can at his end and is also in the process of filing a claim.

As vintage card collectors yourselves you will all, I'm sure, know how I feel. It is not simply a case of bearing the loss and claiming insurance, how can I hope to replace the card? Any thoughts on this would be much appreciated.

I have completed over 2000 transactions on ebay and submitted many hundreds of cards to the US for grading. This the first instance I have heard of an empty parcel arriving. It may have made more sense if the parcel had gone missing not the contents. I have contacted customs and they state "each parcel is tracked and weighed at each stop (perhaps 20 times?) along its journey" which may help to find where the card has gone missing?

Thanks for your time in reading this post.

Nick

UK based collector currently working on Ex/Mt N28's and mid grade T205's amongst others.

Old 02-09-2004, 09:42 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie Vognar

Mr. Glasscock's name.

Old 02-09-2004, 09:51 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Nick

Thanks Julie,
I wasn't sure as I posted a similar message on psa's message board and had to use the stars in order to be able to post it.

Nick

UK based collector currently working on Ex/Mt N28's and mid grade T205's amongst others.

Old 02-09-2004, 10:26 AM
Administrator

Posted By: ramram

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2781827016

Old 02-09-2004, 11:01 AM
Administrator

Posted By: petecld

Was the item shipped via USA registered mail? If so, the box was definitely broken into and resealed as the US post office doesn't allow any clear tape to be used on registered mail or parcels. It has to be paper tape and they postmark it several times along every seam to guard against theft of this nature.

I was always told by non-USA winners to NEVER claim the full amount on customs labels as the chances of theft are so great and to use a description of an item no one would want. My favorite is "family vacation photos" and thankfully I've never had a problem shipping anywhere.

I hope you get your money back but after looking at the left edge of that card - in my opinion - I think the thief did you a favor.

Old 02-09-2004, 07:03 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie

is the amorphous "photo card," with 5 or 10 dollars value on it. Always wanted to use "used bicycle manual" though...sent a big Japanese woodblock print recently, called simply "photo." But I'm always nervous till the thing arrives. You're sort of damned if you do and if you don't!

Old 02-10-2004, 07:48 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Mckee

Nick, I am deeply sorry to hear this! This is terrible! This hobby is like any hobby though, the hobby isn't the problem, it is the money. I wish I knew what to tell you but I do not. I can say, I honestly know EXACTLY how you feel!! I have lost a very expensive card as well. Mine wasn't removed in transit because no one would open a package sent priority with signature confirmation and no insurance. That is why I ship that way. I believe the fact that the contents and value were ADVERTISED on the outside of the box, tempted a person to take it. The customs form on the package stated "baseball card, value $2000

Old 02-10-2004, 12:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

I use Fed Ex and I don't state an insurance value. I send all my submissions to SGC that way and have never had a problem.

You are waiving a red flag if your label the items with their values for the post office or if you slap a big fat postage figure on the front to cover all the insurance.

I would strongly recommend you send an email to as many dealers as you can with the PSA # in it so that they can look out for the item.

Old 02-10-2004, 01:59 PM
Administrator

I just sent 3 cards, totalling 28.00 postage, by USPS priority, insured for the full amount, to American destinations--three different destinations. I asked the lady if she could simply write "insured"--I mean, affix labels to the packets with "insured" on them, and NOT put the price of insurance and postage in her stamp. She said NO. Each of the cards (and, I believe, all three together) were cheaper to send than the least expensive FedEx sending, and the most expensive one cost buyer $380.00, so I figured it was (just) O.K.

Thoughts?

I'm thinking of going FedEx with the one card over $600...

Old 02-10-2004, 05:56 PM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

Expense isn't the only factor. For my cards, if there is anything over $300 and an untried seller, I send the seller a fed ex package on my account and ask the seller to use it to send me the card. I also do it for cards that I really want to be sure I get, even if they are not that expensive. For example, I really needed one card from a very tough boxing set. I got it for less than $200, but from a novice seller, so I sent the seller a Fed Ex package with shipping materials.

When I sell, I generally leave it to the buyer's discretion up to $500. Anything more, I insist on Fed Ex shipping.

When I submit to a grader, I always send them Fed Ex. The incremental cost per card just isn't that great versus registered mail, and it is like using a power tool instead of a flint axe in terms of responsiveness, reliability and tracking.

Old 02-10-2004, 09:13 PM
Administrator

"Novice sellers"! I'll send the rest FedEx.