NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-16-2017, 05:40 AM

Default When will your collection be complete?

I was just wondering if for financial or other reasons you could not add anything more to your collection, would you still enjoy it the same as you do now. Is there any point in the future where you would consider your collection complete, or will there always be just one more item to acquire? Is collecting all about continuous acquiring, or enjoying what has already been collected? Is collecting a sickness that never has an end? What good is a collection if you have so many thousands of items that you don't even know what you have?
Old 11-16-2017, 06:02 AM
Gary McNabb

Default Passion for collecting

I am a retired cancer surviver, my cards are my serenity !! I'm on a fixed income and don't have the means to purchase much anymore. I have come to enjoy trading some of my more valued cards that I've had for a long time to get some new ones to finish team sets. I think there are many ways to enjoy card collecting, one that I like is just meeting people and talking about my cards.

"The joy is in the journey".......life is good !!!!
Old 11-16-2017, 06:05 AM
Jim Boushley
Jim Bou.shley

I don't think my collection (collecting) will end until I pass. I have too much fun enjoying looking at (for) items I don't have. I have everything on a flash drive (or two) so I can see what I have if I forget. Lots of times I remember but the item is a variation I haven't seen so I go for it. To me the fun is the hunt and the enjoyment I get looking at stuff I haven't seen before.
Old 11-16-2017, 06:13 AM
Lou Simcoe
L0u Sim.coe

Quote:
Originally Posted by garymc View Post
I am a retired cancer surviver, my cards are my serenity !! I'm on a fixed income and don't have the means to purchase much anymore. I have come to enjoy trading some of my more valued cards that I've had for a long time to get some new ones to finish team sets. I think there are many ways to enjoy card collecting, one that I like is just meeting people and talking about my cards.

"The joy is in the journey".......life is good !!!!

I will always find something to buy. I too am a cancer survivor and to echo Gary's thought, cards are my serenity. While I am not spending hundreds, or even a hundred on a card, what I do buy I like and have enjoyment in.

My cards and collecting keep me in a happy place!

Wishing you good health Gary, and to all who may be dealing with or survived cancer. One day at a time everyone.
Old 11-16-2017, 06:17 AM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

I have just plunged into collecting the PCL. Those issues will occupy me for a very long time.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 11-16-2017, 06:24 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I don't think collectors quit collecting. It is a mentality. And the journey and people are a lot of the fun. I actually think I like the hunt almost as much as owning the items.

Last edited by Leon; 11-16-2017 at 06:28 AM.
Old 11-16-2017, 06:27 AM
Greg Z@y@tz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georj View Post
Is collecting a sickness that never has an end?
THIS!!!

I tried to collect "everything" as a kid, but now I am happy to part with some items that I only have 1 of in order to get other items that I "need"!

I will have NO problem selling MUCH of my personal collection at some point...I think...

But SOME of my personal collection I WILL die with!!! (And NOT necessarily the most valuable stuff either...)
Old 11-16-2017, 06:57 AM
Kyle May

Q1: I was just wondering if for financial or other reasons you could not add anything more to your collection, would you still enjoy it the same as you do now?
A1: I would put a pause on collecting if the financial situation is minor/temporary. I don't think that would constitute as not collecting; I think of it as Ross and Rachel on a break. However, if the financial situation is more serious, I would probably sell the collection. It's all about priorities at that point.

Q2: Is there any point in the future where you would consider your collection complete, or will there always be just one more item to acquire?
A2: I don't think a collection can ever be 100% complete. It's like wealth. Nobody hits $1M and says, "Well, that's good. My life is complete."
They work to build more wealth. Collecting takes on those same characteristics where even if certain aspects of a collection are complete, the entire body of work will just grow to include other aspects and focuses. I'm currently working on a Hall of Fame PC, with 1 playing days card of each Hall of Famer possible. When that's complete, I'll probably finish up what's left of The Monster. After that, I'll probably target another Tobacco set, '33 Goudey,
or Cleveland team sets. The list can go on from there.

Q3: Is collecting all about continuous acquiring, or enjoying what has already been collected?
A3: It certainly isn't about continuous acquiring, at least not when an unlimited amount of funds are at your disposal. You absolutely have to enjoy what you've already collected, but the desire for more is what keeps collectors going.

Q4: Is collecting a sickness that never has an end?
A4: Before I answer this, I need to know. Do you or have you ever worked for the government?

Q5: What good is a collection if you have so many thousands of items that you don't even know what you have?
A5: Every collector is different. I do think order and organization is key with any collection, but some people prefer quantity over quality, while others prefer quality over quantity.

- Hall of Famers
Progress: 318/340 (93.53%)

- Grover Hartley PC
Needs: T207 Anonymous Factory 25 Back, 1914 New York Evening Sun Supplements, 1917 D328 Weil Baking Co., and (possibly) 1917 Merchant's Bakery

- Jim Thome PC

- Cleveland Indians Franchise Hall of Fame
Old 11-16-2017, 07:47 AM
Al Richter

No
Old 11-16-2017, 01:34 PM
T@yl0r $ch0ck

As others have noted, it will probably never stop. But it may go through a transmogrification now and then.
Old 11-16-2017, 01:46 PM
Ran-jodh Dh.ill0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubman1941 View Post
I don't think my collection (collecting) will end until I pass. I have too much fun enjoying looking at (for) items I don't have. I have everything on a flash drive (or two) so I can see what I have if I forget. Lots of times I remember but the item is a variation I haven't seen so I go for it. To me the fun is the hunt and the enjoyment I get looking at stuff I haven't seen before.
+1
Old 11-16-2017, 01:55 PM

I got to that point and sold everything shortly after with no regrets. I still work in the hobby and keep up with it but am very happy where I'm at.
Old 11-16-2017, 02:24 PM
Rich v@n He$$

I view my collection in terms of sets. Ive been working on 1 rather tough set for more than a decade. I completed 1 very short set in about a year. I have a list of sets that I will get to as I come close to completing others. Just on the set ideas I have right now, I'll die before I finish the ones I'd like to start someday.
Old 11-16-2017, 02:53 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

It never ends.
It never, ever ends.
It never, ever, ever ends.
It never, ever, ever, ever ends.
It never, ever, ever, ever, ever ends.
It never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever ends.
It never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever ends.
It never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever ends.
It never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever ends.
It never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever ends.
It never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever ends.
It never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ends.
It never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ends.
It never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ends.
It never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ends.
It never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ends.
And so on...

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 11-16-2017, 03:14 PM

My will be BASEBALL collection "complete" when I get 1923 W572s of Barbare, Duncan, Heilmann, Rapp, Rigney, and Wambsganss. (I will likely still pick stuff up from time to time - but those 6 cards mark baseball collection as complete).

The non-baseball stuff ... I have a LONG way to go on those.

Cheers,
Patrick
Old 11-16-2017, 03:55 PM
rob.ert int.rieri

When I'm 6 feet under.
Old 11-16-2017, 05:18 PM
Bruce Mattioli

You are either born a collector or burn out..
Old 11-16-2017, 05:20 PM

I think I'm going to disagree with everyone here. I've got a project. When it's done* that might just be it for baseball cards.

*Not that I expect to ever finish it, so it might be a moot question anyway.
Old 11-17-2017, 03:30 AM
Glyn Parson

Default never

Impossible
Old 11-17-2017, 06:22 AM
Paul

I would need therapy and pharmacological intervention to ever stop.

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206
Old 11-17-2017, 07:16 AM
Al Richter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nat View Post
I think I'm going to disagree with everyone here. I've got a project. When it's done* that might just be it for baseball cards.

*Not that I expect to ever finish it, so it might be a moot question anyway.

Nat....the footnote does not make the question moot, it just makes the answer no
Old 11-17-2017, 02:34 PM
Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
I don't think collectors quit collecting. It is a mentality. And the journey and people are a lot of the fun. I actually think I like the hunt almost as much as owning the items.
Absolutely!

Regards,

Larry
Old 11-17-2017, 03:39 PM
C0nor D0na.hue

When my wife's shoe collection is complete.
Old 11-17-2017, 04:06 PM
Sam Sw@rtz

I came to a point where I checked almost every pre-war card off my personal want list, so I decided to go another round or two and collect multiples. At some point, might have to check out post-war cards. And then maybe Garbage Pail Kids.
Old 11-17-2017, 08:25 PM
Mike

Default Maybe ...

In about 70 cards or so. I'll stop, really I will ... not that they're all known to exist or anything mundane like that...

It is a sickness - I suspect therapy won't help.