NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 10-20-2008, 07:10 PM
Administrator

Default Pennant Info

Posted By: Tim

I've never given pennants a lot of consideration, but looking at pictures of other collectors displays on the main page, I really like the way they look nicely framed.

I would like to add one or two to my collection but know nothing about what to look for, good or bad.

Is there a good resource to read about them? Pricing? Any advice would be helpful.

And lastly if anyone has a Boston National they are interested in parting with, let me know.

Old 10-20-2008, 07:29 PM
Administrator

Default Pennant Info

Posted By: Mike H

Tim, Pennants are one of my favorite niches of the hobby. I picked up a few over the last 20 years, but dove in head first about two and a half years ago. There are many collectors here who will gladly offer advice (honest advice). While he may not admit it, Mark Steinberg has taught me the most by far and has one of the most impressive pennant collections in the country.

There are no books or guides, although you see examples in various memorabilia books. Auction results are the best gauge of price I suppose. Collect what you like, but avoid poor condition (torn off tips, rips, large holes, stains and major fading) unless the pennant is exceedingly rare. Watch out for trimmed pennants which are pretty easy to spot(some trim a piece to form a new tip when missing).

What else would you like to know about pennants?

Old 10-20-2008, 09:47 PM
Administrator

Default Pennant Info

Posted By: Mark

Mike nailed it... those are some great basics of pennant collecting. Go after what you like, whether it is the artistry, a favorite mascot or logo from days gone by, or a pennant that commemorates something special to you (World Series, All Star Game, Championship Season, etc.) These dated or year-specific pennants tend to be more expensive, and are always more in demand.

The "holy grails" of pennant collecting are the Jumbo Oversized beauties from the teens (and earlier). These pennants measure 34" to 40" long (not counting the tassels). Mike and I tend to salivate all over these, as do many other collectors. They are rare, and command a big premium. I'll attach a couple of photos, just to give you an idea...

Lastly, beware of reproductions. There are many repros out there. Many were made not so much to deceive people, as just to copy the beautiful graphics (and make them available to the public at an affordable price). Mitchell and Ness manufactures most of them, and some are so close to the originals, it's tough to tell them apart. The telling factor is that most of the repros have raised velvet type graphics, instead of painted (screened) graphics. If you see puckering and some crazing/cracking, that's actually a good sign.

Shown for size difference comparison... the Vander Meer Pennant is full sized! Hope this helps...

Old 10-21-2008, 06:26 PM
Administrator

Default Pennant Info

Posted By: Tim

Mike and Mark,

Thanks a lot for exactly the kind of information I was looking for. If either of you don't mind discussing a specific item with me, email me at abravefan@msn.com

Edited* Typo

Old 10-21-2008, 06:33 PM
Administrator

Default Pennant Info

Posted By: Aaron M.

Mark, I've never seen that Giants pennant before - it's a real beauty! Also love that Iffy pennant!

Old 10-21-2008, 07:14 PM
Administrator

Default Pennant Info

Aaron, There was an example of Mark's Tigers pennant with the caricature of (Cobb maybe?)at the National this year, but it was very trashed.

Mark, I've said it before and I'll say it again, you are a lucky man to have such amazing pieces to look at each day. As for me, I'll have to settle for the pictures of your pennants I have saved on my computer.

Old 10-21-2008, 08:13 PM
Administrator

Default Pennant Info

Posted By: Rob D.

Pennants also are among my favorite pieces of memorabilia. The one thing I would add, and this really is dictated more by personal taste, is don't always assume that a pennant without tassels is worth less than the same one that has them. I've come across a number of dealers who will price a pennant 20-30 percent higher simply because it has tassels. And I've seen more than one collector pass on a really tough pennant because it did not have them. Again, it's personal preference, and if a pennant having its tassels is important to you, that's certainly fine. Just don't accept it as gospel that they're a must to command maximum value. And remember, not all vintage pennants were made with tassels.

Old 10-22-2008, 04:55 AM
Administrator

Default Pennant Info

Great point Rob. I much prefer tassels, but have many pennants without that I love. I am more of a stickler when the tassels were clearly present at one time, then ripped or cut off. I'll still buy them, but will pay more for tassels.

Old 10-22-2008, 10:03 AM
Administrator

Default Pennant Info

Posted By: Greg Theberge

I've said it before, Mark, awesome stuff.

Thanks for showing that Sox pennant...gorgeous.

Greg

Old 10-22-2008, 10:22 AM
Administrator

Default Pennant Info

Posted By: Dan

WOW! Those are awesome pennants! Thanks for sharing.

Dan

Old 10-22-2008, 10:33 AM
Administrator

Default Pennant Info

Posted By: Mark

Thanks Greg...

Wish I could do the Sox Pennant justice, by framing it as nicely as some of yours, but have decided to save money by going with a uniform look for the entire collection (plain black). I could conceivably dump so much money into framing, that I would have to sell a good part of my collection, just to pay for it!

Perhaps there will come a day in which all pennants are graded/slabbed in triangular plastic holders, and we won't even have to worry about framing. "Raw" Pennants will eventually be looked down upon, and will sell for just a fraction of graded examples. My Naps Pennant might receive a "1" (Poor) Grade from PSA, due to the partial tassel loss and the pin hole.

Check out the Card Side of the board... there is a current thread on Grading that makes me glad I stick with memorabilia. Some gorgeous (otherwise perfect) looking cards issued a "1" because of minute paper-loss on the reverse side. I sure hope the day never comes when some random person's personal opinion affects the value of items we collect.

Old 10-22-2008, 10:48 AM
Administrator

Default Pennant Info

Posted By: Brock G.

I could not agree more Mark. I just dont understand the card grading stuff and dont care to learn. Lets just hope grading never reaches pennants or any kind of memorabilia because it will be a cold day in hell when I start sending my stuff off to have some randon person tell me how nice they think it is (and charge me for it).