NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-28-2021, 11:32 AM
Peter Spaeth

Default Mia Hamm RC in Goldin Auctions

34K. There are no words but geez that's remarkable. Wonder if my 9 is worth anything?

https://goldinauctions.com/1992_SI_f...-LOT94223.aspx

Not to mention 440K for the card of some kid.

https://goldinauctions.com/2019_20_T...-LOT92917.aspx

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 06-28-2021 at 11:33 AM.
Old 06-28-2021, 11:37 AM
Bill K@sel

I for one am very happy to see this! The greats of all time deserve recognition whether it be Pele, Maradona, Messi or someone like Mia Hamm, who was absolutely the cream of the crop in her time. Sometimes that recognition is in the form of a high selling trading card. Doesn't hurt that I'm a huge fan of the USWNT as well

Bill
Old 06-28-2021, 11:37 AM

A “Gem Mint” perforated card?
Old 06-28-2021, 11:39 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D. View Post
A “Gem Mint” perforated card?
Mine deserved a 10 damn it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hamm.jpg (78.1 KB, 869 views)

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 06-28-2021, 11:57 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Mine deserved a 10 damn it.
You should put it in one of those dam auctions we were talking about last week instead of whining.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 06-28-2021, 12:10 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Great job by Ken and Goldin auctions! That provides a preview about what rookie cards of Diana Taurasi, Sue Bird, Candace Parker and Brianna Stewart should be worth.

Last edited by oldjudge; 06-28-2021 at 12:16 PM.
Old 06-28-2021, 12:50 PM
Peter Spaeth

And Serena, etc.

Old 06-28-2021, 12:56 PM
Chris Kim
Banned

The first round of those "rare" rookies always win in terms of hammer prices. Look at the first 50 lots of the recent Goldin auction.... lot of "pass", i guess many consignors expect too much but market has been leveling off.
Old 06-28-2021, 02:27 PM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

I had to look up the population of that Mia Hamm card when I saw how crazy the price was going. That card is a population one.

I was also watching the Lewis Hamilton Topps Formula 1 cards in yesterday's Goldin auction. Formula 1 cards, especially the 2020 Topps' release, have been on fire in recent months. Several of the Hamilton cards sold significantly lower than they have been going for in the same grade on eBay.

Long term, I think Lewis Hamilton is another big winner investment wise.

Last edited by Bored5000; 06-28-2021 at 02:28 PM.
Old 06-28-2021, 03:10 PM

This was as far as I dipped my toe in this area but I am glad I did. I really enjoy this card:

Old 06-28-2021, 03:27 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

I'm sitting in my chair until the music stops

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 06-28-2021, 03:59 PM
Joe M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republicaninmass View Post
I'm sitting in my chair until the music stops
. Yup, me too. Lol

Collecting Detroit 19th Century N172, N173, N175.
N172 Detroit. Getzein, McGlone, Rooks, Wheelock, Gillligan, Kid Baldwin Error, Lady Baldwin, Conway, Deacon White

Positive transactions with Joe G, Jay Miller, CTANK80, BIGFISH, MGHPRO, k. DIXON, LEON, INSIDETHEWRAPPER, GOCUBSGO32, Steve Suckow, RAINIER2004, Ben Yourg, GNAZ01, yanksrnice09, cmiz5290, Kris Sweckard (Kris19),Angyal, Chuck Tapia,Belfast1933,bcbgcbrcb,fusorcruiser, tsp06, cobbcobb13
Old 06-28-2021, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
You should put it in one of those dam auctions we were talking about last week instead of whining.
Dam auctions are the type that hold back the flow of tears caused by all that whining.

Brian
Old 06-28-2021, 04:43 PM
P.aul Orl,in

You have to really question this, who is paying $34k for THAT card? I would like to meet them. Have some other items for them.
Old 06-28-2021, 05:01 PM
Joe M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckpaul View Post
You have to really question this, who is paying $34k for THAT card? I would like to meet them. Have some other items for them.
A die hard soccer fan, maybe someone outside the US ?

Collecting Detroit 19th Century N172, N173, N175.
N172 Detroit. Getzein, McGlone, Rooks, Wheelock, Gillligan, Kid Baldwin Error, Lady Baldwin, Conway, Deacon White

Positive transactions with Joe G, Jay Miller, CTANK80, BIGFISH, MGHPRO, k. DIXON, LEON, INSIDETHEWRAPPER, GOCUBSGO32, Steve Suckow, RAINIER2004, Ben Yourg, GNAZ01, yanksrnice09, cmiz5290, Kris Sweckard (Kris19),Angyal, Chuck Tapia,Belfast1933,bcbgcbrcb,fusorcruiser, tsp06, cobbcobb13
Old 06-28-2021, 05:14 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmtiger View Post
A die hard soccer fan, maybe someone outside the US ?
Or the same person convinced spending 750K on a 3rd year Jordan was a good idea?

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 06-28-2021 at 05:15 PM.
Old 06-28-2021, 06:17 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

If that is a 1/1 PSA 10 of the rookie card of arguably the greatest woman soccer player ever then it may turn out to be a bargain. If you are a women’s soccer fan that card will mean a lot more to you than one of the many T206 Cobbs.
Old 06-28-2021, 06:31 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
If that is a 1/1 PSA 10 of the rookie card of arguably the greatest woman soccer player ever then it may turn out to be a bargain. If you are a women’s soccer fan that card will mean a lot more to you than one of the many T206 Cobbs.
If you've separated a lot of SIFK cards from sheets as I have, a 10 vs a 9 is pretty meaningless as they all come out looking pretty ragged, but I guess if the flip matters then perhaps.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 06-28-2021 at 06:32 PM.
Old 06-28-2021, 06:41 PM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

Quote:
If you've separated a lot of SIFK cards from sheets as I have, a 10 vs a 9 is pretty meaningless as they all come out looking pretty ragged, but I guess if the flip matters then perhaps.
Sure, the flip is what matters. As soon as I saw how crazy the price was, I had to look up the population to see if that card was a population one.
Old 06-28-2021, 09:48 PM
Eric Perry

Quote:

...if the flip matters...
Of course the flip matters. These days, the card within doesn't even have to be real.

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (190/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra
Old 06-28-2021, 10:04 PM
Tony Conte

Quote:
Agreed!

Peter,

Time to cash out while the getting is good. Take the money and run.
If Billy Joe would, you should too.
Old 06-28-2021, 11:37 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Why do they even grade perforated cards?

Blow the picture up to its largest size... The perforation "teeth" are all fuzzy, there's a deep scratch to the her left thigh and another to the right of her left foot, as well as a bunch of scattered white dots on the card's surface.

I just don't see it... a couple hundred bucks maybe, but there are at least a million other things I'd buy for that kind of moolah. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I suppose.
Old 06-29-2021, 12:01 AM
Rob

For me, it's inflation gone to hell in a hand-basket. My rule has been, I'm not paying more than 5k for a baseball card. There are other hobbies. I'm looking at them now. The guy's a foos-ball player. table soccer, right? He spins those dials...450K You can by a Church's Chicken with a lease expiring for that money.
Old 06-29-2021, 12:10 AM
Rob

I have 25 Bob Horner Kelloggs cards, those should be worth more than anything. Like 25 million dollars. He hit 4 homers in a game. Much more awesome than Mia Hamm, or the German game boy soccer guy.
Old 06-29-2021, 04:44 AM
Chris Kim
Banned

I wonder who made those Goldin banners, final prizes are all messed up. LOL

No one ever checks before they made them live??

that MIA HAMM card only sold for $34.440 Not quite sure what currency that was.... with a '.' and not ',' LOL

Last edited by chriskim; 06-29-2021 at 05:26 AM.
Old 06-29-2021, 06:30 AM
T!.m H.
Tim Hu,nt

In defense of the 2019 Bundesliga card, those are pretty rare as most LCS's didn't order them and they average about $3000 per was box now... Pretty sick... The racing cards are catching up as the same story...
Successful B/S/T deals with asoriano, obcbobd, x2dRich2000, eyecollectvintage, RepublicaninMass, Kwikford, Oneofthree67, jfkheat, scottglevy, whitehse, GoldenAge50s, Peter Spaeth, Northviewcats, megalimey, BenitoMcNamara, Edwolf1963, mightyq, sidepocket, darwinbulldog, jasonc, jessejames, sb1, rjackson44, bobbyw8469, quinnsryche, Carter08, philliesfan and ALBB, Buythatcard and JimmyC so far.

Last edited by chalupacollects; 06-29-2021 at 06:30 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-29-2021, 07:31 AM
Chris Kim
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskim View Post
I wonder who made those Goldin banners, final prizes are all messed up. LOL

No one ever checks before they made them live??

that MIA HAMM card only sold for $34.440 Not quite sure what currency that was.... with a '.' and not ',' LOL

Goldin just made the change but still wrong.. Oh well..
Old 06-29-2021, 07:36 AM
Bill K@sel

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalupacollects View Post
In defense of the 2019 Bundesliga card, those are pretty rare as most LCS's didn't order them and they average about $3000 per was box now... Pretty sick... The racing cards are catching up as the same story...
Besides the fact Haaland is the next great player of the worlds most popular sport. You're likely getting a lot of global bids for soccer/futbol cards in these auctions compared to baseball.

Bill
Old 06-29-2021, 09:34 AM
Br.ent So.bie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fkm_bky View Post
Besides the fact Haaland is the next great player of the worlds most popular sport. You're likely getting a lot of global bids for soccer/futbol cards in these auctions compared to baseball.

Bill
Fair enough.... but where did the market suddenly come from??

Baseball and other sport cards have been collected primarily in Canada and the US for well over a century, with most male youths exposed to varying degrees at some point. This has allowed "the market" to grow and prosper, with valuation following once demand was created.

There has never been a LARGE market outside North America for sports cards, but all of sudden, countries with absolutely zero history of collecting cards, and people that have never been exposed are feverishly collecting out of thin air? In large numbers?? Really??

What history of collecting is there for soccer or NASCAR cards that people are currently spending huge sums of money on them? They went from almost no value to priceless overnight??
It makes no sense, hence it's NOT primarily collectors, but those just trying to make money off the hobby buying these and inflating the values.... nothing more.
Old 06-29-2021, 10:11 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by aconte View Post
Agreed!

Peter,

Time to cash out while the getting is good. Take the money and run.
If Billy Joe would, you should too.
No, it was Bobby Sue.

Old 06-29-2021, 10:24 AM

All due respect to Mia Hamm but I don’t think there is a good reason to spend 34K on a perforated kids magazine card.
Old 06-29-2021, 10:24 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
No, it was Bobby Sue.
Peter, wrong again. Go to the blackboard and write the following 100 times

BOBBIE SUE
BOBBIE SUE
BOBBIE SUE
BOBBIE SUE
BOBBIE SUE

BOBBIE SUE
BOBBIE SUE
BOBBIE SUE
BOBBIE SUE
BOBBIE SUE

BOBBIE SUE
BOBBIE SUE
BOBBIE SUE
BOBBIE SUE
BOBBIE SUE

BOBBIE SUE
BOBBIE SUE
BOBBIE SUE
BOBBIE SUE
BOBBIE SUE

BOBBIE SUE
BOBBIE SUE
BOBBIE SUE
BOBBIE SUE
BOBBIE SUE

BOBBIE SUE
BOBBIE SUE
BOBBIE SUE
BOBBIE SUE
BOBBIE SUE

BOBBIE SUE
BOBBIE SUE
BOBBIE SUE
BOBBIE SUE
BOBBIE SUE

BOBBIE SUE
BOBBIE SUE
BOBBIE SUE
BOBBIE SUE
BOBBIE SUE

BOBBIE SUE
BOBBIE SUE
BOBBIE SUE
BOBBIE SUE
BOBBIE SUE

BOBBIE SUE
BOBBIE SUE
BOBBIE SUE
BOBBIE SUE
BOBBIE SUE

BOBBIE SUE
BOBBIE SUE
BOBBIE SUE
BOBBIE SUE
BOBBIE SUE

BOBBIE SUE
BOBBIE SUE
BOBBIE SUE
BOBBIE SUE
BOBBIE SUE

BOBBIE SUE
BOBBIE SUE
BOBBIE SUE
BOBBIE SUE
BOBBIE SUE

BOBBIE SUE
BOBBIE SUE
BOBBIE SUE
BOBBIE SUE
BOBBIE SUE

BOBBIE SUE
BOBBIE SUE
BOBBIE SUE
BOBBIE SUE
BOBBIE SUE

BOBBIE SUE
BOBBIE SUE
BOBBIE SUE
BOBBIE SUE
BOBBIE SUE

BOBBIE SUE
BOBBIE SUE
BOBBIE SUE
BOBBIE SUE
BOBBIE SUE

BOBBIE SUE
BOBBIE SUE
BOBBIE SUE
BOBBIE SUE
BOBBIE SUE

BOBBIE SUE
BOBBIE SUE
BOBBIE SUE
BOBBIE SUE
BOBBIE SUE

BOBBIE SUE
BOBBIE SUE
BOBBIE SUE
BOBBIE SUE
BOBBIE SUE

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 06-29-2021, 10:29 AM
Andrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
All due respect to Mia Hamm but I don’t think there is a good reason to spend 34K on a perforated kids magazine card.
Clearly, sir, you don’t understand. This particular perforated kids magazine card is the only example of that perforated kids magazine card that has been certified by a notoriously shoddy and corrupt business as being in infinitesimally (and imperceptibly) better condition than all the other examples of that perforated kids magazine card. QED.
Old 06-29-2021, 10:38 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Peter, wrong again. Go to the blackboard and write the following 100 times

BOBBIE SUE
BOBBIE SUE
BOBBIE SUE
BOBBIE SUE
BOBBIE SUE

BOBBIE SUE
BOBBIE SUE
BOBBIE SUE
BOBBIE SUE
BOBBIE SUE

BOBBIE SUE
BOBBIE SUE
BOBBIE SUE
BOBBIE SUE
BOBBIE SUE

BOBBIE SUE
BOBBIE SUE
BOBBIE SUE
BOBBIE SUE
BOBBIE SUE

BOBBIE SUE
BOBBIE SUE
BOBBIE SUE
BOBBIE SUE
BOBBIE SUE

BOBBIE SUE
BOBBIE SUE
BOBBIE SUE
BOBBIE SUE
BOBBIE SUE

BOBBIE SUE
BOBBIE SUE
BOBBIE SUE
BOBBIE SUE
BOBBIE SUE

BOBBIE SUE
BOBBIE SUE
BOBBIE SUE
BOBBIE SUE
BOBBIE SUE

BOBBIE SUE
BOBBIE SUE
BOBBIE SUE
BOBBIE SUE
BOBBIE SUE

BOBBIE SUE
BOBBIE SUE
BOBBIE SUE
BOBBIE SUE
BOBBIE SUE

BOBBIE SUE
BOBBIE SUE
BOBBIE SUE
BOBBIE SUE
BOBBIE SUE

BOBBIE SUE
BOBBIE SUE
BOBBIE SUE
BOBBIE SUE
BOBBIE SUE

BOBBIE SUE
BOBBIE SUE
BOBBIE SUE
BOBBIE SUE
BOBBIE SUE

BOBBIE SUE
BOBBIE SUE
BOBBIE SUE
BOBBIE SUE
BOBBIE SUE

BOBBIE SUE
BOBBIE SUE
BOBBIE SUE
BOBBIE SUE
BOBBIE SUE

BOBBIE SUE
BOBBIE SUE
BOBBIE SUE
BOBBIE SUE
BOBBIE SUE

BOBBIE SUE
BOBBIE SUE
BOBBIE SUE
BOBBIE SUE
BOBBIE SUE

BOBBIE SUE
BOBBIE SUE
BOBBIE SUE
BOBBIE SUE
BOBBIE SUE

BOBBIE SUE
BOBBIE SUE
BOBBIE SUE
BOBBIE SUE
BOBBIE SUE

BOBBIE SUE
BOBBIE SUE
BOBBIE SUE
BOBBIE SUE
BOBBIE SUE
Was it Me and Bobbie McGee?

Old 06-29-2021, 10:52 AM

Default North American market

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huysmans View Post

Baseball and other sport cards have been collected primarily in Canada and the US for well over a century, with most male youths exposed to varying degrees at some point. This has allowed "the market" to grow and prosper, with valuation following once demand was created.

There has never been a LARGE market outside North America for sports cards, but all of sudden, countries with absolutely zero history of collecting cards, and people that have never been exposed are feverishly collecting out of thin air? In large numbers?? Really??

What history of collecting is there for soccer or NASCAR cards that people are currently spending huge sums of money on them? They went from almost no value to priceless overnight??
It makes no sense, hence it's NOT primarily collectors, but those just trying to make money off the hobby buying these and inflating the values.... nothing more.
The market for baseball cards might be limited to North America and Japan but for sports like basketball where there is a huge global market and hockey, which has a huge European market it is different. Soccer would attract all collecting markets. Not just North America.

Personally, I don't think the Hamm card is ultimately that rare (I believe S.I. circulation is around 950,000) and as mentioned PSA grading of S.I. for kids is even more inconsistent than their general grading. So that particular price seems way out of line. But women's sports and interest in women's sports is taking off.

The supply for RC's of future HOFers and all-time greats like Diana Taurasi, Sue Bird, Breanna Stewart, Megan Rapinoe, Serena Williams, Flo-Jo, Simone Biles etc. is very limited compared to what the demand ultimately could end up being.
Old 06-29-2021, 11:36 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Was it Me and Bobbie McGee?
Bobby McGee predominates as does Bobbie Sue.

Some folks get their bobbies mixed up and others get their boobies mixed up.

274/1000 Monster Number

Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 06-29-2021, 12:12 PM
Br.ent So.bie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aro13 View Post
The market for baseball cards might be limited to North America and Japan but for sports like basketball where there is a huge global market and hockey, which has a huge European market it is different. Soccer would attract all collecting markets. Not just North America.

Personally, I don't think the Hamm card is ultimately that rare (I believe S.I. circulation is around 950,000) and as mentioned PSA grading of S.I. for kids is even more inconsistent than their general grading. So that particular price seems way out of line. But women's sports and interest in women's sports is taking off.

The supply for RC's of future HOFers and all-time greats like Diana Taurasi, Sue Bird, Breanna Stewart, Megan Rapinoe, Serena Williams, Flo-Jo, Simone Biles etc. is very limited compared to what the demand ultimately could end up being.
That's my point... traditionally, there are no "markets" for sports cards outside North America, so where did the demand suddenly come from and how did it sprout instantly out of thin air??

With all due respect, it's impossible... common sense says it's investors and speculators.... and almost zero "collectors".
Old 06-29-2021, 12:43 PM
Dave

Quote:
That's my point... traditionally, there are no "markets" for sports cards outside North America, so where did the demand suddenly come from and how did it sprout instantly out of thin air??

With all due respect, it's impossible... common sense says it's investors and speculators.... and almost zero "collectors".

It sprouted because people (all around the world) see a Tom Brady card selling for $2 million+, and wonder why there can't also be a liquid market for dominant and recognizable athletes in the worldwide sports arena.

I love the NFL and have almost zero interest in soccer, but to be honest, nobody gives a rat's ass about the NFL, outside the U.S.. It's strictly a regional sport. No more popular around the world then Rugby or Cricket.

.............and also, people outside the U.S., have been producing and collecting an untold number of cards for just as long as we have. They just hadn't com-modified it quite to the level as we have since the 80's.

But as far as pure "collecting" goes....the Brits were preserving their cards in albums and pages pages, pumping out card catalogues, and enjoying them for their aesthetic value, looooonnnng before we were.

It's why lots of 20's and 30's sets from that part of the world can still be found in tip top condition today. The Germans were also huge card producers/collectors.
Old 06-29-2021, 01:06 PM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

Quote:

There is no comparison at all in terms of worldwide fan interest between NASCAR and Formula 1. Formula 1 makes NASCAR teams and drivers look like paupers. -- and Lewis Hamilton in particular transcends his sport. Hamilton has over 20 millions followers in Instagram, his own clothing line and his own chain of restaurants. He wanted a $50M salary for this year -- and he got it.

NASCAR in akin to American football in that is it primarily popular in only one country in the world; Formula 1 is akin to soccer in that its appeal is international. Every F1 race draws as many viewers as the NFL's Super Bowl.

Fprmula 1 drivers are superstars in Europe and South America and Asia. Go look at all the $5,000+ Hamilton cards that have sold on eBay just in the short time since the Topps F1 cards have been released. His top autograph cards are well into five figures. His Topps 1/1 cards will be six figures, IMO, if they go to auction. Formula 1 has also been experiencing a surge in U.S. interest due to the Netflix series covering the sport.

There is not any precedent for a mainstream, international Formula 1 set like what Topps has out right now.

Last edited by Bored5000; 06-29-2021 at 01:18 PM.
Old 06-29-2021, 01:17 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored5000 View Post
There is no comparison at all in terms of worldwide fan interest between NASCAR and Formula 1. Formula 1 makes NASCAR teams and drivers look like paupers. -- and Lewis Hamilton in particular transcends his sport. Hamilton has over 20 millions followers in Instagram, his own clothing line and his own chain of restaurants. He wanted a $50M salary for this year -- and he got it.

NASCAR in akin to American football in that is it primarily popular in only one country in the world; Formula 1 is akin to soccer in that its appeal is international. Every F1 race draws as many viewers as the NFL's Super Bowl.

Fprmula 1 drivers are superstars in Europe and South America and Asia. Go look at all the $5,000+ Hamilton cards that have sold on eBay just in the short time since the Topps F1 cards have been released. His top autograph cards are well into five figures. His Topps 1/1 cards will be well into six figures, IMO, if they go to auction. Formula 1 has also been experiencing a surge in U.S. interest due to the Netflix series covering the sport.
I put a very nice Jackie Stewart rookie on ebay recently and it sold for about 20 dollars, I was expecting much more.

Old 06-29-2021, 01:22 PM
Br.ent So.bie

Quote:

Fprmula 1 drivers are superstars in Europe and South America and Asis. Go look at all the $5,000+ Hamilton cards that have sold on eBay just in the short time since the Topps F1 cards have been released. His top autograph cards are well into five figures. Formula 1 has also been experiencing a surge in U.S. interest due to the Netflix series covering the sport.
Yeah, that's how popular THE SPORT is.... but the collecting of cards traditionally for these sports is non-existent.

All people can say is how popular these sports are, which has always been the case to different people in different parts of the world... but the SPORT card market in any non North American locale has never been popular until now.

Also as mentioned, it's true the English were feverish card producers and collectors, but primarily not of SPORTS cards.... that has never been the case.
Old 06-29-2021, 01:27 PM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

Quote:
Yeah, that's how popular THE SPORT is.... but the collecting of cards traditionally for these sports is non-existent.

All people can say is how popular these sports are, which has always been the case to different people in different parts of the world... but the SPORT card market in any non North American locale has never been popular until now.

Also as mentioned, it's true the English were feverish card producers and collectors, but primarily not of SPORTS cards.... that has never been the case.
You can say it was non-existent (which is not really true), but there has also never been a product marketed and as mainstream as Topps is. Past F1 cards have been smaller releases and very hard to find outside individual countries. Hamilton has several different cards that are all but impossible to find that predate these Topps cards be many years.

Last edited by Bored5000; 06-29-2021 at 01:31 PM.
Old 06-29-2021, 01:30 PM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

Quote:
I put a very nice Jackie Stewart rookie on ebay recently and it sold for about 20 dollars, I was expecting much more.
Mario Andretti, who can make a serious case as the greatest racer of all time, doesn't attract nearly the prices that current F1 drivers do. Like I wrote earlier, Hamilton transcends his sport in modern times.

As far as retired or deceased drivers go, Ayrton Senna and Michael Schumacher blow away Jackie Stewart in terms of prices.

Last edited by Bored5000; 06-29-2021 at 01:33 PM.
Old 06-29-2021, 01:36 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Mario Andretti, who can make a serious case as the greatest racer of all time, doesn't attract nearly the prices that current F1 drivers do. Like I wrote earlier, Hamilton transcends his sport in modern times.

As far as retired or deceased drivers go, Ayrton Senna and Michael Schumacher blow away Jackie Stewart in terms of prices.
From what I've seen Andretti rookies are fairly pricey?

Old 06-29-2021, 02:01 PM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

Quote:
From what I've seen Andretti rookies are fairly pricey?
His 1969 Panini rookie is fairly pricey (and his 1970 Panini to a lesser extent), but almost all of his other cards are pretty cheap. Even his 1969 Panini seems cheap IMO relative to his place in the sport when you look at what the current Topps F1 cards are going for. Modern F1 drivers are pretty difficult to get autographs from (especially the top drivers), and Mario still signs for free through the mail on all kinds of items.

With this current Topps release, every driver on the roster has autograph cards in the set.

There was no option at all when it came to getting an autographed Michael Schumacher or Ayrton Senna card unless a collector had the foresight and luck decades ago.

Last edited by Bored5000; 06-29-2021 at 02:08 PM.
Old 06-29-2021, 02:02 PM
Sco.tt Mar.cus

Isn’t this the same Lewis Hamilton who tried to trademark the name ‘Hamilton’, then sued Hamilton Watch Co. over it?
Old 06-29-2021, 02:07 PM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

Quote:
Originally Posted by egri View Post
Isn’t this the same Lewis Hamilton who tried to trademark the name ‘Hamilton’, then sued Hamilton Watch Co. over it?
Yes.
Old 06-29-2021, 02:10 PM
Dave

Quote:

Sorry man, that's not true at all. They made tons of sports cards. Just not American Sports Cards...........from the Big 4 American Sports anyways. Plenty of Sports Cards of Americans who participated in more International Sports.
Old 06-29-2021, 02:17 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Bergin View Post
Sorry man, that's not true at all. They made tons of sports cards. Just not American Sports Cards...........from the Big 4 American Sports anyways. Plenty of Sports Cards of Americans who participated in more International Sports.
One of my favorites.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg owens,j37.jpg (79.7 KB, 346 views)

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 06-29-2021 at 02:18 PM.
Old 06-29-2021, 02:28 PM
Bob
Bob Comm.entucci

Hamm was so good, she ruined Garciaparra.