NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 02-23-2019, 08:56 AM

Default Does anybody enjoy the...

Professionally done "Cards that Never Were".

Its like collecting a Topps traded set for those particular years.

Your thoughts.
Old 02-23-2019, 11:37 AM

I will sometimes pick up the ones on Ebay - "ACEO" art cards on Ebay if I like them.

They do some cool League Leader stuff that wasn't put out by Topps.

They have flooded the market now though.
Old 02-23-2019, 01:15 PM
je.sse @rnot

They're interesting to think about, but I wouldn't buy them or compare them to topps traded cards.
Old 02-23-2019, 01:48 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

I will pass.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Last edited by vintagebaseballcardguy; 02-23-2019 at 01:49 PM.
Old 02-24-2019, 09:56 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Depends on the subject and price. I collect all sorts of 'Broders' especially from the 1970s, so I have a soft spot for unlicensed cards, especially if they are well done or depict someone not otherwise available. I do not expect them to go up in value, though. Look at the TCMA, SSPC, Galasso, Fritsch, Parker, Broder, Rowe, etc. issues from the 1970s. Some of them are approaching 50 years old and are pretty tough to find yet they are nearly all sub-$10 cards. I think it is insane what some of these modern 'Broder' cards are bringing on eBay. I watched a new Helmar card, which was really nicely done, sell for over $60, when a 100 year old card of the same boxer in nice condition could be had for less.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 02-24-2019 at 09:57 AM.
Old 02-24-2019, 11:49 AM
Dan Be$$e++e

I hate them all, just like I hate all unlicensed cards.
Old 02-24-2019, 06:03 PM
Curt

Quality is the key. Those Helmars are really nice, but many sellers are offering cheap color copies on paper not much thicker than letterhead!

Once a seller gets a taste of good money for junk, they won't stop churning out different images of the same player, so beware if you feel you need to have every one that hits the market
Old 02-24-2019, 07:16 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

If they're photos new to me and the card stock and size is up to standard, I get 'em.

I picked up a '34 Goudey Ruth and a Wilson's Wieners Mantle from Steve Mitchell on the 'bay this past week...paid too much, but they're purdy.

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente

Last edited by clydepepper; 02-25-2019 at 07:36 AM.
Old 02-25-2019, 09:03 AM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmopar View Post
Quality is the key. Those Helmars are really nice, but many sellers are offering cheap color copies on paper not much thicker than letterhead!

Once a seller gets a taste of good money for junk, they won't stop churning out different images of the same player, so beware if you feel you need to have every one that hits the market
How do you know if they are "real" Helmars - does only a particular seller offer them? I've seen these before and they've always looked interesting, but I've never bought one. Since I decided recently that real prewar is generally out of my price range, I was wondering if a Helmar here and there might be an affordable alternative to still get a nice piece of certain players who might otherwise be out of reach. Would be curious to hear from anyone who actually has some of these. Do you enjoy them? Do they smack of being "fake" or some type of later day reproduction? I think I might could get behind something actually with the knowledge that it was hand crafted with some thought behind what it was, and not just a cheap reprint.

Last edited by jchcollins; 02-25-2019 at 09:06 AM.
Old 02-25-2019, 06:56 PM

Default Bob Lemke's "Cards That Never Were"

I have the remaining inventory of Bob Lemke's incredible "Cards That Never Were," and am selling them on behalf of his widow, with all proceeds going to her. I suspect many of the people on this forum are familiar with Bob's work. I have a pretty good listing at my website at: oconnellandsonink.com.
Old 02-25-2019, 07:01 PM
Chris Counts

I'd never pay for one, but I've had fun making a few in Photoshop. Here's an example:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 40pb_paige.jpg (35.6 KB, 546 views)
Old 02-26-2019, 12:36 PM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.S. OConnell View Post
I have the remaining inventory of Bob Lemke's incredible "Cards That Never Were," and am selling them on behalf of his widow, with all proceeds going to her. I suspect many of the people on this forum are familiar with Bob's work. I have a pretty good listing at my website at: oconnellandsonink.com.
Very cool. I will have to check this out - I have wondered from time to time what happened to those cards.
Old 02-26-2019, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyvintage62 View Post
Professionally done "Cards that Never Were".

Its like collecting a Topps traded set for those particular years.

Your thoughts.
There are cards with the 1965-1969 designs that are better quality that some of the uninspired dreck that Topps printed.
Old 12-10-2019, 08:59 AM
Phil Apostle
Ph,il Ap0stle

Hello! New to these forums. I like some of the art cards, obviously. I find almost everything people collect interesting. The motivations behind human beings collecting anything at all is a study in itself!
Old 12-10-2019, 11:42 AM

Yes, I do.

For example, "valiantmann" on eBay produced a smashing version of a 1962 Topps Mickey Mantle. I have hated the 1962 Topps regular Mantle from day 1.
Valiantmann came to my rescue, so to speak. He tastefully selected a perfect photo of Mickey that traces to about 1960. He then gave it a unique horizontal design, with the correct dark wood frame that Topps used in their third series cards. The 18-point cardboard stock is superb, and in a Pro-Mold 1-screw it is perfect! I've placed it with my period Mantles, and I LOVE IT, I LOVE IT, I LOVE IT!

I acknowledge it is not worth diddly squat, but our hobby is about what makes us happy and content. This elegant 1962 Topps Mickey Mantle card that never was is 100 times better than the actual one. Were Topps to design only one card horizontally, they would probably have chosen someone special.... like Mr. Mantle.

I'm happy........Brian Powell
Old 12-11-2019, 10:32 AM
Phil Apostle
Ph,il Ap0stle

Hi Brian. Can you post a pic of the Mantle? If it's here, I'm missing it. I love '62s...the photos are not the best, as you mentioned.
Phil
Old 12-11-2019, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil68 View Post
Hi Brian. Can you post a pic of the Mantle? If it's here, I'm missing it. I love '62s...the photos are not the best, as you mentioned.
Phil
As embarassing as it sounds, I honestly do not know how to post a picture. However, I found it on eBay, and here's the listing title:

"1962 Style Mickey Mantle New York Yankees HOF Novelty Custom Art Card"

Valiantmann charges $7.99 for the card, plus $3.89 shipping. While the shipping charge is excessive, the card much, much, much more than makes up for the entire cost to you. If you're adroit at posting photos, would you please kindly do the honors in posting his listing photo for us, to reinforce what I've been expressing about this fantasy card?

He simply uses the backside of the regular Topps card for his own creation. Stunning, and I must say essentially perfect.

Have a peaceful day, friend, and happy collecting! -- Brian Powell
Old 12-11-2019, 11:39 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian1961 View Post
As embarassing as it sounds, I honestly do not know how to post a picture. However, I found it on eBay, and here's the listing title:

Valiantmann charges $7.99 for the card, plus $3.89 shipping. While the shipping charge is excessive, the card much, much, much more than makes up for the entire cost to you. If you're adroit at posting photos, would you please kindly do the honors in posting his listing photo for us, to reinforce what I've been expressing about this fantasy card?

He simply uses the backside of the regular Topps card for his own creation. Stunning, and I must say essentially perfect.

Here is a picture of both versions listed. I am also a big fan of custom cards.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mantle2.jpg (20.0 KB, 401 views)
File Type: jpg mantle1.jpg (20.0 KB, 400 views)
Old 12-11-2019, 08:23 PM
Curt

I doesn't get much easier than this site. Click on the paperclip when you are drafting a message and it opens an image manager. You browse for the pic you want and attach it. Voila!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian1961 View Post

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2019-12-11 at 7.21.28 PM.jpg (16.1 KB, 358 views)
File Type: png Screen Shot 2019-12-11 at 7.21.13 PM.png (3.4 KB, 349 views)