NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 04-22-2011, 03:48 PM
Marc Powers

Default Autograph Ball Help!

Thanks to all that helped me out before on some Autograph Balls that I put on here. Please help me out with these 4 Autographs! Please let me know what you think? Thanks, Marc You can email me at mpowers23@verizon.net. Thank you!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dimaggio.jpg (45.2 KB, 171 views)
File Type: jpg koufax.jpg (63.7 KB, 169 views)
File Type: jpg mantle.jpg (72.9 KB, 168 views)
File Type: jpg williams.jpg (61.5 KB, 169 views)
Old 04-22-2011, 06:05 PM
Marc Powers

Default Autographs

I guess no one wants to help me this time!
Old 04-22-2011, 06:52 PM
Sean Brennan

The Koufax looks a bit strange but the others seem to look good.
Old 04-22-2011, 07:10 PM
Marc Powers

Default Auto Balls

Thank you very much Sean! I want to buy these but I want to make sure they are all ok! Maybe someone else could give me there opinion on the Koufax! Again Thanks Sean for your help! Marc
Old 04-22-2011, 07:18 PM
Sean Brennan

no problem marc, be careful with mantle williams and dimaggio though, there are a LOT OF good fakes of those guys. I would stick strictly to authenticated ones on them.
Old 04-22-2011, 07:23 PM
Marc Powers

Default Auto Balls

OK Will Do! I am hoping that these are all good! Mainly Mantle, Williams, Dimaggio. Thanks, Marc
Old 04-22-2011, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pow323 View Post
Thank you very much Sean! I want to buy these but I want to make sure they are all ok! Maybe someone else could give me there opinion on the Koufax! Again Thanks Sean for your help! Marc
Hi Marc,
I will try to help with the Koufax, but could you please show me a scan of the league president on this ball?
Thanks,
Scott
Old 04-22-2011, 09:18 PM
FredYoung

In my unscientific opinion, in comparing Mantle, Williams & DiMaggio to my in-person autos, I think they are very good but the only one I think MAY be authentic is the Koufax.
Old 04-22-2011, 09:20 PM
Marc Powers

Default Auto Ball

Scott, Thank you for your help! Here is a picture of the Ball. Do you think that the others are ok also? Thanks again, Marc
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FRENEY.jpg (41.0 KB, 123 views)
Old 04-23-2011, 04:18 AM

Default Koufax signature

Hi Marc,
Thanks for sending over the scan of the backside of the Koufax ball.

Since Charles Feeney is the NL President (President 1969- 1986), your Koufax ball would have to have been signed 1969 or later. I have compared your Koufax signature to literally a dozen different exemplars that I know to be real and can be directly linked to the year in which they were signed.

Unfortunately, I cannot find any examples of his sig during the time period of 1969 to present that his signature even remotely looks like the one on your ball. I personally would not feel comfortable with this signature. BTW, I collect signatures to all no-hit pitchers in my own personal collection. Growing up in So Cal I had the opportunity to get Sandy's signature in person many times through the years.

I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news. I wish that I had better news to report. I will pass on commenting on the Joe D. and Teddy Ball Game signed balls. I'll allow some of the other board members with better expertise to check in on these two.

Good collecting!
Old 04-23-2011, 06:01 AM
Marc Powers

Default Auto Balls

Scott, Thanks for getting back on the Koufax! You to Fred! Thanks to all who helped me on the Autograph Balls. I am able to return any of the Balls if they are not real autos. I am still wondering about the Mantle, Williams, Dimaggio, but will return the Koufax. Hope someone will know for sure about those three. Thank you again Guys you are a big help! Have a good Easter!
Old 04-23-2011, 07:37 AM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

A little more specifics on the ball itself. The 3 dot Rawlings Haiti ball with the larger size Feeney facsimile would date the ball to 1978. So the time frame for the auto would be 1978-present. Aside from that, I'd have to agree with everything else that Scott said.
Old 04-23-2011, 08:47 AM
Steve Zarelli

Quote:
Originally Posted by pow323 View Post
I guess no one wants to help me this time!
I was hoping to see some responses to learn a bit myself.

With the Mantle, I think I'm adept at spotting obvious fakes and then there are examples that are pretty clearly good. It's the "tweeners" that are tough.

I'm not quite sure what to think of the Micks with the sharply pointed tops on the Ms. I guess it could be real and just a more rushed style. But, I always feel more comfortable when the M's have a softer rounded top. If I recall correctly, the fakes sold through the Home Shopping Network tended to have the more pointed style M.

Here is a page of UDA authentic Mantles. Most have the softer M, but a few are a bit pointed at the top.
http://www.theswearingens.com/mick/autos.htm
Old 04-24-2011, 05:09 AM
Dave Millhouse
Banned

I think the Mantle is authentic. Not really feeling good about the DiMaggio or Williams.