NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 12-14-2017, 10:14 PM
Mike Navarro

Default How many lineup cards per game in MLB?

I've seen some MLB authenticated game used lineup cards. How many of these are used in a typical MLB game? Just one per team or are there multiples?
Old 12-15-2017, 12:13 AM
Dewey St. Germaine

From what I know there are only one in each dugout per game. These are usually the larger 11x17 size lineup cards. There are also the smaller manager lineup cards and some teams, not sure how many, also have clubhouse lineup cards. The clubhouse ones generally do not have any markings on them from what I've seen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenavarro View Post
I've seen some MLB authenticated game used lineup cards. How many of these are used in a typical MLB game? Just one per team or are there multiples?
Old 12-15-2017, 06:50 AM
Jeff Lazarus

There are 2 kinds of lineup cards, the ones that hang on the clubhouse wall and the ones the managers fill out and give a copy to the opposing manager and the home plate ump.

In the first example there are generally just a single copy for each team, but for important games teams/mlb often make replicas. They will sell these and at times they are authenticated as well. You need to check what the authentication was since sometimes it is a replica with an authentic signature.

For the smaller ones (which only have 1 teams lineup on it) there was usually 3 copies (one for each manager and one for the ump). These were what established the official lineup for each team for the game. For decades they used carbon paper so that they wrote one and 2 copies were made. Recently they have just been printed and signed so no more carbon copies (can’t speak for every team but I’ve seen printed ones from a few teams). I saw a listing last week from the Twins where the seller (eBay) said that the molitor signature was also printed on. I read somewhere iirc that they made 6 lineup cards for Ripken’s record breaking game so at times the number may vary.
Old 12-15-2017, 07:10 AM
Mike Navarro

Thank y'all for the info.

Purchased my 1st one this week so trying to learn a little about them

http://auctions.mlb.com/iSynApp/auct...tionId=2118528
Old 12-15-2017, 07:37 AM
Mike

I would love to own a Yankees line up card.

Someday Mike, someday.

Mike
Old 12-15-2017, 01:34 PM
Alex

My wife bought me this one, from a game we attended together. It used to have pink highlighting on the pitchers that were used but it's faded over time (despite being behind museum glass).

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
SLers = 33/48
Horizontals = 6/6

ALWAYS looking for T206 with back damage.
Old 12-15-2017, 02:39 PM

Default Lineup cards

Traditionally there have been one home and one visitor larger dugout card as well as an original smaller home and visitor lineup card which is delivered to the home plate umpire prior to the game. Carbon copies are sometimes used with the smaller cards, but not always depending on the team.

The last poster made me remember this Tigers Home dugout card from my wife's & my 1st date at old Tiger Stadium in 1989. Both of us are die-hard Tigers fans. By pure serendipity I stumbled onto a guy selling dugout cards on eBay about 9-10 years ago. He seemed to have some that were close to our 1st date game. I sent him an e-mail asking if he had one from our game & told him the significance of why I was asking. I struck gold and bought it for $14 delivered.
I had it framed up with some photos of our wedding and other items related to our early beginnings and gave it to my wife for our 20th anniversary.

Oh, the game itself was perfect. The Tigers throttled the Evil Empire Yanks in what was a runaway laugher....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Scott & Mary 20th anniversary.jpg (49.9 KB, 451 views)

Last edited by Scott Garner; 12-15-2017 at 02:44 PM.
Old 12-15-2017, 05:29 PM
Chris Wood

In the early-mid 2000’s (don’t know if they still have them or not) the Blue Jays also printed a full size lineup card for the outfield bullpen wall. It didn’t have the manager’s sig nor any player change amendments but looked just the dugout versions. I picked many of these up from the Grounds Crew after games.
Old 12-15-2017, 07:25 PM
Mike Navarro

The Blue Jays got the last laugh on me lol

The lineup card I purchased from them is from the game where Odor popped the bat flipper a good one. Even though the game was in Arlington, they evidently took it back to Canada with them. I was really excited to win the item at auction for my RANGERS collection.

I received my package from them today and when I picked up the package, I thought it odd that the box was big and heavy. When I opened it up, to my surprise it is some sort of big Blue Jays Opening Day authenticated banner. As a Rangers fan it adds insult to injury.

Hopefully whomever got my lineup card does the right thing and returns it to them so they can send it to me. Have left the Jays Team Shop a message asking them to instruct me how and where they want me to ship this banner too as its now a blight in my house lol

Last edited by thenavarro; 12-15-2017 at 07:27 PM.
Old 12-16-2017, 12:40 PM
D@vid Fel@

Just got this back from steiner. From my sons first Yankees game. Didi hit hr number 25 for most by a Yankees short stop and judge and Sanchez went back to back. I’m trying to get all the players that made it into the game to sign it for him
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (78.5 KB, 403 views)

Last edited by felada; 12-16-2017 at 12:46 PM.
Old 12-16-2017, 02:03 PM
Chris Wood

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenavarro View Post
The Blue Jays got the last laugh on me lol

The lineup card I purchased from them is from the game where Odor popped the bat flipper a good one. Even though the game was in Arlington, they evidently took it back to Canada with them. I was really excited to win the item at auction for my RANGERS collection.

I received my package from them today and when I picked up the package, I thought it odd that the box was big and heavy. When I opened it up, to my surprise it is some sort of big Blue Jays Opening Day authenticated banner. As a Rangers fan it adds insult to injury.

Hopefully whomever got my lineup card does the right thing and returns it to them so they can send it to me. Have left the Jays Team Shop a message asking them to instruct me how and where they want me to ship this banner too as its now a blight in my house lol
You’ve given me a great idea, I need to try and track down the lineup card from the ALDS game in 2016 when the Jays swept the Rangers, with Odor making the throwing erorr to lose it!
Old 12-16-2017, 02:34 PM
T0m C@rf@gn0

I have about 250 lineup cards. Mostly from 2006-2009, mostly the Minnesota Twins and teams that visited the Twins. Several Yankee lineup cards signed by Torre or Girardi. A bunch signed by Joe Maddon and Jim Leyland.
Old 12-16-2017, 02:45 PM
Mike Navarro

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseball tourist View Post
You’ve given me a great idea, I need to try and track down the lineup card from the ALDS game in 2016 when the Jays swept the Rangers, with Odor making the throwing erorr to lose it!
That would be cool to put with your Kreindler painting. If you do find that lineup card, I'm sure it will cost a good bit of Canadian dollars. Would make a neat autograph project as well if the cards hold graphs well.

Good luck with finding it, from some of your prior posts I know you'd cherish it. I can hate Bautista, and the Jays, but still respect their fans. (At least the ones that weren't acting like imbeciles that game)

M
Old 12-16-2017, 08:19 PM
Belltown Vintage

I only have a few. The first few were handwritten with the manager's signature. Then handwritten with no manager sig. Now preprinted with no manager sig.
Old 12-16-2017, 10:58 PM
Jeff Lazarus

I'm a huge fan of line-up cards (the smaller ones). Primary focus are lineup cards signed by HOF managers. My total went up recently when Trammell was elected to the HOF. I think that brings the total I have to 17 different HOF out of the 80+ HOF'ers who were managers. (Although some likely played before they made line-up cards like these...)

Here are a few of my highlights:
- George Brett 3000 hit game
- Phil Niekro 300 win game
- 1999 World Series Game 2 Yankees (also have Braves card from the same game)
- 1997 World Series Game 6 Marlins (also have Indians card from the same game)
- Tom Glavine 1st Win
- 1934 Cleveland Indians signed by Manager Walter Johnson
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Brett, George 3000 Hit.jpg (74.1 KB, 359 views)
File Type: jpg Niekro, Phil 300th Win.jpg (72.7 KB, 363 views)
File Type: jpg 1999 WS - Game 2 - Torre, Joe.jpg (72.6 KB, 359 views)
File Type: jpg 1997 Game 6 - Marlins - Leyland.jpg (72.9 KB, 355 views)
File Type: jpg 1987 - Glavine First Win 8-22-1987.jpg (69.1 KB, 362 views)
File Type: jpg Johnson, Walter Line-Up Card.jpg (69.7 KB, 360 views)

Last edited by Topnotchsy; 12-16-2017 at 11:02 PM.
Old 12-17-2017, 08:17 AM
Bill H@e1ig

Mike:

I certainly hope that you're able to get that lineup card from the Jays...It's a very cool item and I know it will make a great addition to your Rangers collection...

Personally, I love both the Dugout and handheld lineup cards and have quite a few in my collection...

Here are just a couple of my favorite.....

Orioles dugout lineup card from Opening Day 2001, which was Cal Ripken Jr.'s last one:

In 2015, the Orioles celebrated the 20th Anniversary of Cal breaking Lou Gehrig's Consecutive Game Streak (Cal threw out the first pitch)

My favorite is the Homeplate Umpire's copy of the lineup cards from the May 30th 1982 game from the Orioles & Blue Jays which happened to be the first game of Cal's consecutive game streak:

Old 12-17-2017, 08:31 AM
Jeff Lazarus

Quote:
Originally Posted by roarfrom34 View Post
Mike:

My favorite is the Homeplate Umpire's copy of the lineup cards from the May 30th 1982 game from the Orioles & Blue Jays which happened to be the first game of Cal's consecutive game streak:

That is remarkable! All the more so because while everyone knew to save the record breaking lineup card, there was no reason for quite a few years to assume any significance to the first game as it took years of playing every day for the streak to begin to matter.

I have the lineup card (carbon copy) from the game that broke Steve Garvey's consecutive game streak. I believe that is still the NL streak. Kind of interesting for the fact he is not in the lineup...

Last edited by Topnotchsy; 12-17-2017 at 09:54 AM.
Old 12-17-2017, 11:09 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topnotchsy View Post
I'm a huge fan of line-up cards (the smaller ones). Primary focus are lineup cards signed by HOF managers. My total went up recently when Trammell was elected to the HOF. I think that brings the total I have to 17 different HOF out of the 80+ HOF'ers who were managers. (Although some likely played before they made line-up cards like these...)

Here are a few of my highlights:
- George Brett 3000 hit game
- Phil Niekro 300 win game
- 1999 World Series Game 2 Yankees (also have Braves card from the same game)
- 1997 World Series Game 6 Marlins (also have Indians card from the same game)
- Tom Glavine 1st Win
- 1934 Cleveland Indians signed by Manager Walter Johnson
I have seen a few signed by Rogers Hornsby while managing in the minors.
Old 12-17-2017, 11:48 AM
Jeff Lazarus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
I have seen a few signed by Rogers Hornsby while managing in the minors.
Hornsby is near the top of my list of guys I'd love to get. I have 3 line-up cards filled out by him, but none were signed.

Some more recent guys like Molitor, Berra and others are surprisingly hard to find.

At the top of my list are legendary managers like Mack and McCarthy. I'd also love to get a Stengel from his Yankee days (I have one from when he was managing the PCL Oakland Oaks.) A member here has a Mack which I've tried to deal for over the years, but so far no luck. Maybe one day.

I've also started looking for lineup cards that came from a WS winning season. I think it's a pretty cool and unique collectible from the season. Have 1982 Cards, 1988 Dodgers, 1995 Braves, 2002 Angels and 2004 Red Sox so far...

Last edited by Topnotchsy; 12-17-2017 at 11:48 AM.
Old 11-28-2019, 10:25 PM
Jeff Lazarus

Don't know if anyone else cares much about these, but I've continued to collect them.

I've been able to pick up some really cool ones from World Series games, and vintage ones such as this from Clemente's rookie season.

Would love to see if anyone has any more
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1974 World Series Game 4.jpg (72.2 KB, 298 views)
File Type: jpg 1979 World Series Game 1.jpg (76.6 KB, 302 views)
File Type: jpg 1991 World Series Game 1 - Braves - smaller file.jpg (74.4 KB, 304 views)
File Type: jpg Pirates 6-25-1955 - Clemente rookie.jpg (75.3 KB, 300 views)
Old 11-29-2019, 04:13 PM
And.rew Whi.te

As you know Jeff...I love your collection!!

These things are a history of each game and should be preserved but sadly many are lost to the garbage can. I may have mentioned this previously but I remember a time when I was walking the concourse of Wrigley Field near the Umpires room I saw a grounds crew member looking at two pieces of paper that he tore in half and let the pieces flutter to the ground. I knew right away what they were and picked them up and taped them back together. What the grounds crew guy tore up was the umpire's line up cards for that days game, one of which was signed by Pete Rose. I kept this and all of my other line up cards for years until I liquidated everything a few years ago.

I was able to find a photo of some of the dugout lineup cards I was able to save from the trash heap in my time working for the Chicago Cubs. These would be left taped to the dugout wall only to be tossed the next day when the teams arrived back at the ball park. I would simply go down to the dugout after the ball park was cleaned and pulled them off the wall. Nobody cared as these were going to be trashed anyway and I gained a very cool collectible.

Keep up the great work Jeff. I love seeing your collection grow.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lineup cards.jpg (64.7 KB, 255 views)
Old 11-30-2019, 04:15 PM
Bill H@e1ig

Here is the lineup card that hung in the Orioles dugout during Game 3 of the 1970 World Series....After the game it was saved by a fan (with the help of an usher) who then taped their ticket stub to the back of it.

This game was significant for two reasons, one being Dave McNally hit a Grand Slam becoming the first and only pitcher in WS History to hit one and secondly it was the game that Brooks Robinson made a diving catch to his left off the bat of Johnny Bench...The image of Brooks holding the ball up in the air while prone on the ground is iconic to this day....

Old 12-01-2019, 07:29 PM
Jeff Lazarus

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitehse View Post
As you know Jeff...I love your collection!!

These things are a history of each game and should be preserved but sadly many are lost to the garbage can. I may have mentioned this previously but I remember a time when I was walking the concourse of Wrigley Field near the Umpires room I saw a grounds crew member looking at two pieces of paper that he tore in half and let the pieces flutter to the ground. I knew right away what they were and picked them up and taped them back together. What the grounds crew guy tore up was the umpire's line up cards for that days game, one of which was signed by Pete Rose. I kept this and all of my other line up cards for years until I liquidated everything a few years ago.

I was able to find a photo of some of the dugout lineup cards I was able to save from the trash heap in my time working for the Chicago Cubs. These would be left taped to the dugout wall only to be tossed the next day when the teams arrived back at the ball park. I would simply go down to the dugout after the ball park was cleaned and pulled them off the wall. Nobody cared as these were going to be trashed anyway and I gained a very cool collectible.

Keep up the great work Jeff. I love seeing your collection grow.
Awesome story. Happy to keep sharing the one's I've picked up. Have a couple of really interesting ones coming in the mail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roarfrom34 View Post
Here is the lineup card that hung in the Orioles dugout during Game 3 of the 1970 World Series....After the game it was saved by a fan (with the help of an usher) who then taped their ticket stub to the back of it.

This game was significant for two reasons, one being Dave McNally hit a Grand Slam becoming the first and only pitcher in WS History to hit one and secondly it was the game that Brooks Robinson made a diving catch to his left off the bat of Johnny Bench...The image of Brooks holding the ball up in the air while prone on the ground is iconic to this day....

I've seen you post that one in the past. What a spectacular piece. I know it's part of your PC, or I'd be trying to come up with an offer to get it from you
Old 12-01-2019, 08:11 PM
T0dd M@rcum

the best one I ever saw was in Salem VA, but it could not be obtained. The Prince William Pirates manger had written his lineup one the visitors dugout wall in sharpie (I was friends with the GM at the time, the field is now a high school facility) and Barry Bonds was in the lineup.
Old 12-10-2021, 09:55 AM

I thought it would be good to revisit the question that started this thread since the answer has changed:

- Dugout cards: Still 2 per game.

- Bullpen cards: Still 2 per game if both teams have bullpen cards, but not all do.

- "Other" cards: More and more "other" lineup cards are being sold, including clubhouse and replica cards. Many of these are "authenticated" for marketing purposes even though the replica cards are made after the fact.

Batting order cards: Pre-2020, there were there typically 3 batting order cards per team per team, per game, so six in total: one for each team to the home plate ump, and each manager keeps one of his and gets one for the opposing team.

Since Covid, batting order cards are now longer traded at home plate right before the game. Lineups are now submitted to the league office a couple/few hours before the game, and then sent back to the stadium where the cards are computer-printed. (I was told by an MLB umpire there were still a couple teams submitting handwritten cards through the 2019 season. That is no longer allowed.) So the umpire cards go directly to the home plate umpire in the locker room before they enter the field. This means that the managers no longer need to sign their cards. In fact, they can't sign the opposing team's card or home plate umpire's card because they don't touch them. So in the attached example, Scott Servais's signature is computer printed rather than hand-written.

Also, there is now a "version number" printed on the card. This way, if a change is made after the initial lineup is sent to MLB, there will be a new version. The version number is supposed to help the managers and home plate umpire be sure that they have the correct version of the card when they meet at home plate.

The "A" in the upper right hand corner of the card is for "Away". I'm not sure why this is necessary since the "away" cards continue to be light blue, and home cards are still white.

Finally, because umpires now need to track more things because of rules changes (e.g., mound visits, who the runner on 2nd should be in extra innings, etc), at least one of the base umpires also has a card and keep notes. Each umpire crews chooses how it wants to do it, so one crew may have just one additional card, while another crew may have two or even all three base umpires have cards. So there now could be as many as 6 batting order cards for each team for a regular season game (1 for each manager, and 1 for each umpire), or 12 in total.

- Tom O'Reilly
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Buff1.jpg (76.7 KB, 138 views)

Last edited by DannyNoonan; 12-10-2021 at 12:51 PM. Reason: adding name to post
Old 12-10-2021, 01:31 PM

I should add that I am currently in the process of doing research and interviews for a book on the history of lineup cards. Lineup cards have played a small but important and unique role in the history of baseball, and I was surprised that no one has ever written anything in-depth about them, so I am doing it myself. But I look at this as a group effort, and have been very fortunate to already collect a lot of great info from collectors like yourselves among many others in and around baseball. If you have any knowledge to share about lineup cards, especially before the year 2000, please let me know.

Also, I'm including sections profiling high-end lineup cards (e.g., the cards from Ripken's 2,131 game, the 2004 World Series G4 dugout card bought for $165k, etc) as well as lineup card collections (I'm interested in all sorts of collections, not just high end ones). If you have a high-end card or an interesting collection and are up for it, please message me or email me at oemtom at aol . com.

Thank you!

- Tom O'Reilly
Old 12-10-2021, 08:33 PM
Jeff G@rf!nkel

Jeff Lazarus (Topnotchsy) and I talk all the time about line-up cards. I probably have 400 or more (many Mets related) line-up and dugout cards and would be happy to share any information I can with you.

Jeff G.

Last edited by ibuysportsephemera; 12-10-2021 at 08:33 PM.
Old 12-11-2021, 12:03 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

If anyone has a Reds Lineup Card (signed by Sparky) between the years of 1970-76, I would definitely be interested. The game needn't carry any historical significance, and it doesn't matter who won. But preferably one from a game in which Tony Perez was listed as a starter.

Would love to have just one from that era, as I regret letting mine go a while back. Thanks!
Old 12-14-2021, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibuysportsephemera View Post
Jeff Lazarus (Topnotchsy) and I talk all the time about line-up cards. I probably have 400 or more (many Mets related) line-up and dugout cards and would be happy to share any information I can with you.

Jeff G.
Thanks, Jeff. PM send. - Tom