NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-20-2017, 09:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
In the recent miniseries about how the FBI finally tracked down the Unabomber, that phrase took a front seat in the examinations and comparisons of text/writings in the case. I was laughing because I always hated the way the phrase is generally said (wrongly) in our country, "You can't have your cake and eat it too," and one of the things that led them to Kaczynski was his repeated use of the 'correct' wording of the phrase. Fascinating stuff.
Just finished that show last night on Netflix. Quality show. Lead character was a bit lacking in my opinion, still a fine show. I think Mindhunter one-ups it however. Also on Netflix.

Last edited by OsFan; 11-20-2017 at 09:35 PM.
Old 11-20-2017, 09:52 PM
Sam Sw@rtz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
have it to what? To hold? To eat again? To smash in someone's face? I need to know
If you have cake, you can end a sentence in a preposition.
Old 11-21-2017, 05:58 AM
Adam Goldenberg

Default Absolutely

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
I may or may not agree with you on your first point, depending on the circumstances. If you're offering something for sale, it's your responsibility as the seller to throw out the first number. If you've done that and the potential buyer asks, "What is your best offer?" then I can understand your point. If you throw out the first number, then he ball is in their court to counteroffer. However, if you list something without a price and you're just fishing for offers, then shame on you.

On the second point I agree with you.
+1
Old 11-21-2017, 06:55 AM
Brock

Quote:
Originally Posted by the-illini View Post
My pet peeve is when someone comes on a message board and repeatedly asks other people’s opinion on the value or authenticity of an item so that they can buy it and sell it for a profit instead of doing their own research...

If only I could like this a thousand times.
Old 11-21-2017, 07:03 AM
Mark Fox

In the BST if a seller doesnt have a price listed, I click the back button and continue on my way. At a show, if a dealer does not have items priced visible to the customers, I keep walking to the next table.

Do I miss out on things this way, of course. But I have more important things to worry about and at the end of the day I never find myself sitting around saying to myself "Man, I have all this money to spend...and nothing to spend it on."
Old 11-21-2017, 07:06 AM
T!M R10rd@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batpig View Post
I hate this saying. What the heck is the point of having the cake if you can't eat it? I know the point is you can't eat the cake and still have it, but the phrasing is still annoying. For an alternative, I suggest "You can't sit in two chairs with one butt." Or maybe a more appropriate alternative for this situation is "You can't keep your card and sell it too."

Carry on.
Umm . . . if you eat enough cake you can!
Old 11-21-2017, 07:16 AM
Pete Sycks

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanks12025 View Post
If only I could like this a thousand times.
I always found this interesting. If you don't know much about a certain subject maybe don't make it a business.

http://syckscards.weebly.com

Always looking for 1938 Goudey's
Old 11-21-2017, 07:24 AM

Here's another one from my pet peeve book: If you've taken the same cards to the last 10 White Plains shows and haven't sold any of them, take a long look at why that is and stop showing up. I absolutely hate walking around a show and being surrounded by museums of not even quality cards that could be easily sold but are being sold by guys who want the world for them. It's nice that you're taking up space and the show looks filled out, but if you could put on a show filter for guys who aren't interested in actually selling their cards, you'll only have a few tables to look at.

Last edited by packs; 11-21-2017 at 07:25 AM.
Old 11-21-2017, 07:25 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Originally Posted by sycks22 View Post
I always found this interesting. If you don't know much about a certain subject maybe don't make it a business.
I’ve decided to become an architect today. What kind of pencil do I need to get?

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 11-21-2017, 07:34 AM
T@yl0r $ch0ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanicalman View Post
Actually, you would be ending it in an adverb (assuming you meant "too" and not "to", that is).
/thread derail
Old 11-21-2017, 08:01 AM
Paul S

I guess I'm in the minority, but I feel that what a seller previously paid for a card is relevant. Unless you're using them as fuel to heat your home, cards don't have value independent of what people are wiling to pay for them. So what someone previously paid for a card helps set the value. If I want a card, I may be willing to pay above market, but no one wants to feel like they're getting fleeced.

Also, providing the seller with information about what comparable cards have sold for doesn't seem wrong to me. Maybe the seller doesn't know that his price is unlikely to be met. I'll do that on eBay sometimes, simply let someone know that the going price for something is such and such, that I'll give them a bit more than that, but that they're free to try and sell it for more if they want to.
Old 11-21-2017, 08:07 AM

Relevant in what way? If you overpaid for something, how does that have any impact on me as the buyer? Why would I overpay you for something because you overpaid yourself when I could just buy it from someone else? If the first thing a dealer has to say about a card is what it cost them, that's not a card I'm going to buy.
Old 11-21-2017, 08:12 AM
P. Sp.ec.tor

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
I’ve decided to become an architect today. What kind of pencil do I need to get?
Take your pick. Or, if you ever happen to be sitting near Jackie I suggest a felt tip.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lottapencils[1].jpg (81.8 KB, 329 views)
File Type: jpg attachmentDPF5KJWB.jpg (16.1 KB, 329 views)
File Type: jpg attachmentVKYVAZOL.jpg (23.6 KB, 325 views)

Last edited by Paul S; 11-21-2017 at 08:14 AM.
Old 11-21-2017, 08:41 AM
Bill Avery

I think it is also relevant to know when the seller bought the card in question. Just because someone paid top dollar for a Mark McGwire rookie back in 1998 doesn't mean it is still going to sell for that price today. Just like any other card out there that has recently trended up just because you bought at the peak of interest doesn't mean the value is going to hold.
Old 11-21-2017, 08:45 AM
Tom Boblitt

I get the offer thing for sure. I've started setting a low threshhold thing on most BO items on ebay. I just can't tolerate the $10 offer on the $100 item. I figure I set a $60-$70 floor and then I weed all the jackwagons out of the equation. If someone REALLY wants something, they'll find a way to offer whether there's a best offer option or not.
Old 11-21-2017, 09:09 AM
St3phen M@rchillo

I guess to the original point. I look at past sales and negotiate trying to stay on the low end as a buyer. Just as dealers pay lower prices when buying collections. If you picked up an item for $500 and you say it's worth $1500 why didn't it sell for $1500? Wrong audience? Bad marketing etc. I don't think it's insulting for someone to offer $650 on that item. If you don't want offers then make the prices firm.

On eBay I've come across some high volume dealers that accept 50% of a BO price. This has caused me to sometimes make these similar type offers with other sellers. Many times I get a flat out not accepted and other times I get a counter that is lower than I was willing to pay. So as a buyer who doesn't sell who has a modest budget if you want me to make an offer don't take offense if you feel it's too low. Just flat out say no or counter it. But why pay more when I don't have to.

I do agree to the point that if you paid $80 for a McGwire Olympic card in 98 and the market says it's worth $10 I don't give a d@mn. But recent sales do matter. That's why people shell out good money for VCP.

Last edited by Marchillo; 11-21-2017 at 09:11 AM.
Old 11-21-2017, 09:10 AM
St3phen M@rchillo

Quote:
Originally Posted by autograf View Post
I get the offer thing for sure. I've started setting a low threshhold thing on most BO items on ebay. I just can't tolerate the $10 offer on the $100 item. I figure I set a $60-$70 floor and then I weed all the jackwagons out of the equation. If someone REALLY wants something, they'll find a way to offer whether there's a best offer option or not.
And yes. If you set a threshold and an offer is made much lower you don't deal with it. Problem solved on eBay.
Old 11-21-2017, 09:12 AM
pariah1107

If you know the market value of an item, mark a price, end of problem. If you have a problem with negotiating, eliminate the Make an Offer option, end of problem. I'm not sure the point of these posts, and one of the reasons I have not posted on net54 in months. How does this increase my knowledge of the hobby? It doesn't. Carry on collectors.
Old 11-21-2017, 09:37 AM
Stephen
Stephen Abb.ondandolo

I want to just say that I believe some of my first post was misconstrued and I probably should have been more clear.

In regards to the first scenario, I was referring to ebay.

I assumed everyone already understood I had a number up and wasn't just blindly saying make an offer.

Anyone that watches my BST sees that I rarely do not put a price, unless it is something unique that I am not 100% sure of the market so want to field offers to get an idea as there are not many comps out there.

In regards to the second scenario,

I do not mean instances in which an item has a VCP etc.

Here is one example.

I recently purchased a 1919 World Series guest pin on ebay. I paid $750. The dealer knew it was worth more as did I, however he needed quick cash for a auction that was ending soon.

We agreed on a price and now it is public knowledge. I sent out some photos to people (dealers and collectors) to see if there was interest, and I would get back the same thing...

Is this the one that just sold on ebay for $750? I'd do X on it.

Ok so in my opinion an item like this is worth anywhere from 1500 up to 5000 or even more depending on how many are out there and how many people want to compete over it.

Low ball offers based on what I spent on the item in this case are insulting and plain wrong.

This is the context in which I meant it.

Hope that clarifies some of the qualms.
Old 11-21-2017, 09:40 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanicalman View Post
"Where are you at?"

"Don't end sentences in a preposition."

"OK: where are you at, jackass?"

On the OP, I agree w/r/t eBay listings with a Best Offer. My opening price is my offer, so I am soliciting actual offers, not requests to revise my offer. Not something to get bent out of shape about, though. The world is full of trolls, so just politely tell them to make an offer and you will consider it. Also, make sure you put a floor on your best offer by automatically rejecting anything below a specific level. It will weed out the bottom feeders. Eventually these trolls quit or make an actual offer. I had one of these perpetual tire-kickers who finally made an offer and it was more than I'd have accepted for the item, so you never know. Sometimes they will dust the cobwebs off their wallets and step up.

I also hate that "what's the best you can do" inquiry. It is one of those down-home-isms that creeps into commercial language because it feels less confrontational than asking a more direct question. Marty (hi Marty) has the best response: The best I can do is my listed price. Instead of that silly question I now ask "what is the absolute lowest price you will sell this for?" It is more direct and sort of rude but at least it is honest. Yes, I am aware that I end the sentence in a preposition; saying "for which you will sell this item" sounds like I am having tea with the queen.

I also agree that the "you paid this" tactic is annoying. It is also a bad negotiation technique. If I know what you paid and when you bought something, why would I let you know that I know? Divulging information about your strategy or resources gratuitously gives your opponent potentially useful data in countering you. The better strategy would be to offer something reasonable without explaining it. Account for the low price the seller paid to tempt the seller to accept and generate a quick profit. If I see a dealer pay $250 for a $1000 card I may offer him $750 to sell it immediately. I get a substantial discount to market and I put him into a quandary. A smart trader understands that a quick flip at a good profit and putting that money back to work is often a better strategy than sitting on inventory hoping for a top price buyer. I know I consider how much I paid and how long I held an item when I try to sell it. I learned that watching Alan Rosen in action at a show in San Francisco in the 1980s. He bought a great collection of 1950s cards for $5400 and within hours wholesaled pieces of the deal to other dealers. He didn't retail the cards to eke out top prices over the course of a year, he got in and got out and put the money back to work. Of course, that assumes you have the faith that you will continue to get deals. If you treat every deal like a live-or-die one, you can't take a reasonable offer and you end up with a lot of inventory.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 11-21-2017 at 09:42 AM.
Old 11-21-2017, 09:48 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
Back to some of the original thoughts >gasp< I post a price on everything I sell, and the vast majority of my inventory at any given show is stickered. That still doesn't stop people from approaching me live, and online, with "what's the best you can do on that." It happens a lot. It doesn't bother me so much on a $20 card, but I don't want to try and make a living constantly selling at "the best I can do" on $1000 items!
there are dealers that just say price firm or if its volume they give universal discount for totals over X amount. maybe also give free shipping or discount on payment method

Some buyers will walk if cant think they can negotiate but then you dont have to deal with 'whats the best you can do' stuff ...its your decision but always a downside on either.....
Old 11-21-2017, 09:49 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
check VCP or consumer reports
Old 11-21-2017, 09:52 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
Relevant in what way? If you overpaid for something, how does that have any impact on me as the buyer? Why would I overpay you for something because you overpaid yourself when I could just buy it from someone else? If the first thing a dealer has to say about a card is what it cost them, that's not a card I'm going to buy.
i dont care what a seller paid....but it doesnt bother me if they tell me. For one, i know every buyer in the world always points to a past sale of a 'better conditioned card' that sold for less...

In your statement you are assuming you can just buy it from someone else, what if you cant because the centering is unique from the card and it doesnt come up often etc. At least if the seller tells you what they paid for the card that will save time if you arent willing to pay more than that..
Old 11-21-2017, 09:54 AM

In my experience someone only says "I have X into it" regarding cards commonly bought and sold.

How much are you looking to get for that Cobb bat off?

Well, I have X into, so how about double X?
Old 11-21-2017, 09:58 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
In my experience someone only says "I have X into it" regarding cards commonly bought and sold.

How much are you looking to get for that Cobb bat off?

Well, I have X into, so how about double X?
i get you...but if its one of those 10 or so hot cards....like a green centered cobb....they are going 3x the price in some grades versus 6 months ago......for 99% of the cards i agree with you..

i usually comment like 'well everyone doesnt make money on every card...look at vcp, you can see specific cards go for more than later less.....someone taking a little loss is better than a big loss..

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 11-21-2017 at 09:59 AM.
Old 11-21-2017, 10:30 AM
Paul S

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector View Post
At least if the seller tells you what they paid for the card that will save time if you arent willing to pay more than that..
Prescisely. Now, if they are lying about how much they paid for it, that's a different story.

Meanwhile, if someone only paid $250 for what would ordinarily be a $1000 card, it raises some questions about whether the exact item they have is actually worth $1000.

If you're buying a house, is it relevant what the house previously sold for? Or what the identical model across the street sold for a year ago?

A lot of people don't like being called out on how much of a profit they're making, but there may be legitimate reasons to bring up a prior sales price. As a seller, you can always refuse to sell if the offer is too low in your estimation.

Last edited by pbspelly; 11-21-2017 at 10:41 AM.
Old 11-21-2017, 11:48 AM
Mark Fox

Quote:
Originally Posted by EYECOLLECTVINTAGE View Post
I sent out some photos to people (dealers and collectors) to see if there was interest, and I would get back the same thing...

Is this the one that just sold on ebay for $750? I'd do X on it.

Ok so in my opinion an item like this is worth anywhere from 1500 up to 5000 or even more depending on how many are out there and how many people want to compete over it.
So none of the multiple dealers who you contacted about this pin were interested in offering you more than you had paid for it. Dealers. People who are in this business to make money, were not willing to offer you more than you paid for it. You think its worth $1500 to $5000, or more...so if it WAS worth that much, dont you think that one of those dealers you contacted would have snatched it up at say $1000 ir $1200 if they knew it was worth $1500 to $5000? I mean, they would make a 25-50% profit at a minimum...right up a dealers alley! Or maybe your valuation of this pin is way off base and the true valuation of what is a relatively non-descript pin that simply says "1919 world's Series" of which no other examples can be found...is closer to, or less than, the price you actually paid for it.

Just a thought.
Old 11-21-2017, 11:57 AM
Stephen
Stephen Abb.ondandolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by markf31 View Post
So none of the multiple dealers who you contacted about this pin were interested in offering you more than you had paid for it. Dealers. People who are in this business to make money, were not willing to offer you more than you paid for it. You think its worth $1500 to $5000, or more...so if it WAS worth that much, dont you think that one of those dealers you contacted would have snatched it up at say $1000 ir $1200 if they knew it was worth $1500 to $5000? I mean, they would make a 25-50% profit at a minimum...right up a dealers alley! Or maybe your valuation of this pin is way off base and the true valuation of what is a relatively non-descript pin that simply says "1919 world's Series" of which no other examples can be found...is closer to, or less than, the price you actually paid for it.

Just a thought.
I was being offered 900-1000 (because they knew I paid $750.

Would you sell a 1919 guess pass for a 25% profit? Be honest. And do you really think it's worth less than $1500?

Last edited by EYECOLLECTVINTAGE; 11-21-2017 at 11:57 AM.
Old 11-21-2017, 12:05 PM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Would you sell a 1919 guess pass for a 25% profit? Be honest. And do you really think it's worth less than $1500?
Yes....and not think twice about it. You got lucky to get it as cheap as you did. I thought I got lucky to get my 1932 US Caramel Lefty Grove as cheap as I did. Until someone won it for $300 less than me. Then I realized I wasn't lucky at all. I was a fool. Take the profit and run.
Old 11-21-2017, 12:19 PM
Stephen
Stephen Abb.ondandolo

I disagree with that (no hard feelings as I respect your opinion). When holding a piece such as this, the reward far outweighs the risk in my opinion. The down side is $750 (which it's not, but if I lost it then yes). The upside is... Who Knows?

On a baseball card, where the market is set for the most part, the ceiling is only so high.
Old 11-21-2017, 12:19 PM
Mark Fox

Quote:
I was being offered 900-1000 (because they knew I paid $750.

If a dealer thought there was money to be made by paying more, they would have. They're goal is to make money so if they thought it was valuable enough to buy from you at say 1400 and sell in excess of say $1750 for a profit of at least 25% then I'm pretty sure every dealer would have jumped at that chance. They're in the business to make money, its all percentages to them. They dont care what they have to pay for an item, as long as they get it for under a certain percentage of what they feel the can comfortably sell it for and none of those dealers you offered it to felt the item was that valuable...the story spells that out. Just because you think its value is between $1500 and $5000 does not mean the market will bear out your valuation.

As for me? I wouldnt think to purchase that pin for anywhere close to what you paid for it. The market might prove me wrong and so be it. But a non-descript pin that simply says "1919 World's Series" on a generic baseball medallion...that makes no mention of the Reds, Cincinnati, the White Sox, or Chicago...just doesnt hold the value it does to me, that it apparently does to you. Just my opinion.
Old 11-21-2017, 12:26 PM
Stephen
Stephen Abb.ondandolo

Quote:
If a dealer thought there was money to be made by paying more, they would have. They're goal is to make money so if they thought it was valuable enough to buy from you at say 1400 and sell in excess of say $1750 for a profit of at least 25% then I'm pretty sure every dealer would have jumped at that chance. They're in the business to make money, its all percentages to them. They dont care what they have to pay for an item, as long as they get it for under a certain percentage of what they feel the can comfortably sell it for and none of those dealers you offered it to felt the item was that valuable...the story spells that out. Just because you think its value is between $1500 and $5000 does not mean the market will bear out your valuation.

As for me? I wouldnt think to purchase that pin for anywhere close to what you paid for it. The market might prove me wrong and so be it. But a non-descript pin that simply says "1919 World's Series" on a generic baseball medallion...that makes no mention of the Reds, Cincinnati, the White Sox, or Chicago...just doesnt hold the value it does to me, that it apparently does to you. Just my opinion.

You are entitled to your opinion on this. I guess time will tell. You are failing to mention collector's and not just dealers which I mentioned. In total 3 people answered me. 2 dealers and 1 collector.

A lot of times, I find that dealers are scared to pay up on a item with no history. Like I said, there is no exact market on this piece as it has never traded. It came from Muchinsky's collection who said it came from a White Sox executive.

I don't mind taking chances on weird items. Maybe to a fault, but it's what makes this hobby fun to me. Seeing stuff that's never been seen etc.
Old 11-21-2017, 12:36 PM
Mark Fox

Perhaps this was a poor example for this specific pet peeve of yours then? You can hardly blame anyone who is skeptical of paying the valuation you think it has, when its a unique item where the only market history, is the history you established when you bought it.
Old 11-21-2017, 12:38 PM
T!M R10rd@n

I've yet to see a business make money sitting on inventory.

Turning $750 into $100 is a 33% increase. By the third flip you've more than doubled your money.
Old 11-21-2017, 12:50 PM
Stephen
Stephen Abb.ondandolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by timzcardz View Post

Turning $750 into $100 is a 33% increase. By the third flip you've more than doubled your money.
And $750 into $2000 is a 275% increase and will probably take the same time as flipping 10 items for 33%
Old 11-21-2017, 12:51 PM
Stephen
Stephen Abb.ondandolo

Quote:
Perhaps this was a poor example for this specific pet peeve of yours then? You can hardly blame anyone who is skeptical of paying the valuation you think it has, when its a unique item where the only market history, is the history you established when you bought it.
It was just one example lol I said numerous things happened. You are right though it wasn't the absolute best example, just the most recent.
Old 11-21-2017, 01:18 PM
Bob Davies

Man oh man, I miss a couple of days, and lots of entertaining banter. I have opinions on these subjects too, so in summary...
I feel everyone is entitled to place whatever price they want on any item, and everyone is entitled to make whatever offer they like. People getting offended and getting their panties in a knot is a little silly. Make the offer, don't accept the offer, and simply move on. Getting personally offended is a waste of energy.

In terms of interest and entertainment...
Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
In the recent miniseries about how the FBI finally tracked down the Unabomber, that phrase took a front seat in the examinations and comparisons of text/writings in the case. I was laughing because I always hated the way the phrase is generally said (wrongly) in our country, "You can't have your cake and eat it too," and one of the things that led them to Kaczynski was his repeated use of the 'correct' wording of the phrase. Fascinating stuff.
This one surprised me. So using proper grammar helped pin this guy down? Wow!!! That is sad on so many levels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
How about people who say they want to trade up to an iconic card worth six figures by stating clearly that their plan is to repeatedly give board members something worth less than what they receive in return.
Love those guys.
Just sayin.
This one made me laugh this afternoon, I thought it couldn't be topped...

Quote:
... until this statement. I snorted out loud here at work over lunch. Well done Frank.

Last edited by Stampsfan; 11-21-2017 at 01:19 PM.
Old 11-21-2017, 01:27 PM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by timzcardz View Post

Tell that to the people that have sat on ANY of the high grade rookies listed below...
NAMATH
CLEMENTE
AARON
JIM BROWN
MANTLE

I would love to have some of those beauties back.
Old 11-21-2017, 02:18 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

It really depends on the card and the timing. If the card is rare, you are justified in holding out for your price. Maybe you are wrong and the card won't sell, but maybe you are right and the card will sell to that collector who has to have one and is willing to pay up to get it. It is a calculated risk that can pay off. Worst case scenario, you end up with a great card to enjoy for a while. I don't consider that the same as having inventory of mainstream common stuff. That stuff needs to move, in and out, get the money back to work. But for rare cards, I am just dandy with waiting. When someone balks at my ask for that kind of card, I tell them to go find one. If they can, vaya con dios. If not, I am still here, but you will pay my price for the card or you won't own it. And if you come back then I know you cannot find it elsewhere so my willingness to compromise is going to be lower...because I know.

Sorry if that seems cold-blooded or mercenary, but I cheerfully admit to it. At least I am polite...

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 11-21-2017 at 02:24 PM.
Old 11-21-2017, 05:02 PM
Stephen
Stephen Abb.ondandolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by exhibitman View Post
it really depends on the card and the timing. If the card is rare, you are justified in holding out for your price. Maybe you are wrong and the card won't sell, but maybe you are right and the card will sell to that collector who has to have one and is willing to pay up to get it. It is a calculated risk that can pay off. Worst case scenario, you end up with a great card to enjoy for a while. I don't consider that the same as having inventory of mainstream common stuff. That stuff needs to move, in and out, get the money back to work. But for rare cards, i am just dandy with waiting. When someone balks at my ask for that kind of card, i tell them to go find one. If they can, vaya con dios. If not, i am still here, but you will pay my price for the card or you won't own it. And if you come back then i know you cannot find it elsewhere so my willingness to compromise is going to be lower...because i know.

Sorry if that seems cold-blooded or mercenary, but i cheerfully admit to it. At least i am polite...

+100000
Old 11-21-2017, 06:52 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
It really depends on the card and the timing. If the card is rare, you are justified in holding out for your price. Maybe you are wrong and the card won't sell, but maybe you are right and the card will sell to that collector who has to have one and is willing to pay up to get it. It is a calculated risk that can pay off. Worst case scenario, you end up with a great card to enjoy for a while. I don't consider that the same as having inventory of mainstream common stuff. That stuff needs to move, in and out, get the money back to work. But for rare cards, I am just dandy with waiting. When someone balks at my ask for that kind of card, I tell them to go find one. If they can, vaya con dios. If not, I am still here, but you will pay my price for the card or you won't own it. And if you come back then I know you cannot find it elsewhere so my willingness to compromise is going to be lower...because I know.

Sorry if that seems cold-blooded or mercenary, but I cheerfully admit to it. At least I am polite...
Well a few years later if you still have the card and no takers...it doesnt maker the seller position stronger...
Old 11-21-2017, 07:31 PM
Luke Lyon

In my opinion, all you guys who complain about offers on ebay are just doing it wrong. If a low offer can bother you, then don't use Best Offer. Or if you want to use Best Offer, just set the threshold so you don't have to respond to the offers you deem ridiculous. I haven't had a single thing to complain about on ebay in the last 2 years, and it's because I just know what my price is and I list it for that price.

If you feel like you gain something from taking offers, then you just have to take the bad with the good.
Old 11-21-2017, 07:37 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke View Post
In my opinion, all you guys who complain about offers on ebay are just doing it wrong. If a low offer can bother you, then don't use Best Offer. Or if you want to use Best Offer, just set the threshold so you don't have to respond to the offers you deem ridiculous. I haven't had a single thing to complain about on ebay in the last 2 years, and it's because I just know what my price is and I list it for that price.

If you feel like you gain something from taking offers, then you just have to take the bad with the good.
All 100% true. After the last few silly offers I received I always now put some kind of a reasonable floor on automatically rejecting silly low ball offers.
Old 11-21-2017, 07:59 PM
Jeff G@rf!nkel

Quote:

Well said.....+1000
Old 11-21-2017, 08:10 PM
Banned

Quote:

yes, selling on eBay isn't rocket science. nor is saying "no" to an offer and moving on. at least to most people.
Old 11-21-2017, 09:38 PM
Steven

How difficult is this?

If you don't like "offers" then set a floor or a BIN...I guess coming to a national message board and debating this is more productive somehow. If its in the BST then set a price. Either way, make it clear in the OP what in the hell you are talking about.

Coming to the same place to complain about buyers where you gain "knowledge" is bad form...argue with the same people you learn from. Others learn from past sales, similar examples and analyzing trends in the market place which seems to be over your head while you rely on these opinions to create a business model that quite frankly comes off as predatory. How about make some contribution to this board? Where is your expertise? This is a community, not some place to displace your passive-aggressive attitude to get what you want.

S Suck0w
Old 11-21-2017, 10:13 PM

Quote:
LOL aren't you the one that offers me $8 on 15 stubs? stop it.
I've never made an offer on anything. Ever. Period. Made one inquiry via net54 months ago on bst about you saying you are in NY though your ebay store says otherwise.

Is this where I insert the obligatory lol?
Old 11-21-2017, 10:41 PM

Quote:
The best is when people talk smack (like you two) but when I get something you need you come slithering out of your holes acting like everything is cool lol

I PRAY I get something you guys need bad, because I will never sell to either of you again.

Especially since you both nickel and dime me on $20 error cards and $15 undated ticket stubs lol
Just to be clear. One more time. You and I have never made a deal. I've pm'd once on an item asking about the location disparity between ebay and net54. I asked for clarity. You gave little. That is the sum total of our communication. I never even got to the point of a number because, right or wrong, I didn't trust you. You have me confused with someone else.

Last edited by Dewey; 11-21-2017 at 10:42 PM.
Old 11-22-2017, 04:41 AM
D@vid Fel@

Well stated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainier2004 View Post
How difficult is this?

If you don't like "offers" then set a floor or a BIN...I guess coming to a national message board and debating this is more productive somehow. If its in the BST then set a price. Either way, make it clear in the OP what in the hell you are talking about.

Coming to the same place to complain about buyers where you gain "knowledge" is bad form...argue with the same people you learn from. Others learn from past sales, similar examples and analyzing trends in the market place which seems to be over your head while you rely on these opinions to create a business model that quite frankly comes off as predatory. How about make some contribution to this board? Where is your expertise? This is a community, not some place to displace your passive-aggressive attitude to get what you want.

S Suck0w
Old 11-22-2017, 07:18 AM
Stephen
Stephen Abb.ondandolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainier2004 View Post
How difficult is this?

S Suck0w
Ok I want to address this post.

If you don't like "offers" then set a floor or a BIN

I will be doing so after this thread. I used to and got away from it and don't know why I haven't gone back yet. I forgot in all honesty.

I guess coming to a national message board and debating this is more productive somehow.

It is definitely not productive, however I rarely vent, so I would like to to invoke my first amendment right.

If its in the BST then set a price. Either way, make it clear in the OP what in the hell you are talking about.

I have attempted to clarify myself through numerous replies on this thread. Not sure if you have seen them or read through them but I stated very clearly in replies and did my best to answer questions.

Coming to the same place to complain about buyers where you gain "knowledge" is bad form...argue with the same people you learn from.

This was not my intention, and I never made mention of any specific buyer on Net in my initial post. It was only after being provoked by certain buyers whom are culprits of what I am speaking about that I said something direct. As a "dealer" now, I am sure I am speaking for a lot of dealers with this post whether or not they will chime in and agree is another thing.

Others learn from past sales, similar examples and analyzing trends in the market place which seems to be over your head while you rely on these opinions to create a business model that quite frankly comes off as predatory.

It's not rocket science in all honesty. I don't deal much in cards, so I rely more on worth point, and past auction results at auction houses as well as advice from certain dealers that have taken me under their wings so to speak when making prices, due to the types of items I sell. I try to only offer unique items that are not easily attainable on the open market, and by effectively marketing them I hope to bring a profit. I by no means am predatory and you can ask anyone on here who has ever dealt with me.. I am as honest a person as they comes and truthfully I hope someone will chime in here in regards to this. I always work with people on price, and am a pretty easy person to deal with when I buy as well, as many can attest to.

How about make some contribution to this board? Where is your expertise?

I have tried numerous times to make contributions, most recent example being offering my advice of the message board to anyone that wanted help with Jackie Robinson autographs about a month ago. (feel free to go check) My expertise lies in Brooklyn Dodgers and Jackie Robinson, and I have definitely chimed in and helped those with questions pertaining to my area of knowledge.

This is a community, not some place to displace your passive-aggressive attitude to get what you want.

I totally agree with you here and maybe I should not have made this post, but I was getting a mad run of squids (term I use for slimy cheap buyers) and felt compelled to create a thread. Not sure what you mean by me using this thread to get what I want though. I did not want anything from this, just a mere outlet to let out my bottled up frustration, and I ran out of pages in my diary

As for you Mr. Dewey. Oh man oh man what shall we do with you?

Mr. Fake News himself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey View Post
I've never made an offer on anything. Ever. Period. Made one inquiry via net54 months ago on bst about you saying you are in NY though your ebay store says otherwise.

Is this where I insert the obligatory lol?

no this is where I insert this from October 27th

Keep in mind I get this literally the day after the one at Leland's sells for $1650. Yea thanks for the offer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey View Post
Just to be clear. One more time. You and I have never made a deal. I've pm'd once on an item asking about the location disparity between ebay and net54. I asked for clarity. You gave little. That is the sum total of our communication. I never even got to the point of a number because, right or wrong, I didn't trust you. You have me confused with someone else.

to this i say

as well as you nickel and dimed me on a undated Boston Red Sox grand stand ticket back in February and actually purchased it because "it had Ted Williams number on it"

Last edited by Leon; 11-22-2017 at 10:53 AM.