NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 08-06-2008, 07:35 PM
Administrator

Default A frame job with a pleasant ending

Posted By: Rob D.

A recent memorabilia pickup was lot No. 1247 (page 312 in the catalog) in Huggins & Scott recent auction. It's a 1905 Sporting News fold-out premium that features 10 athletes of the day in nine sports, highlighted (at least to me) by Nap Lajoie. I had hoped to post a photo of the item from the H&S site, but it's already been removed. Regardless, it measures 45 x 7 inches, and the paper can best be described as almost being like parchment paper. Very fragile.

When it arrived, I was thrilled, because it looked even better than the photos on the Web site. It was shipped folded (cringe), but after unfolding it to its full size, I felt it was a pretty impressive piece. Kind of like a panoramic photo from the era at a fraction of the price.

Anyway, after the thrill wore off, I was struck by the question, "Now what?" I didn't want to leave it folded, and to display it unfolded would call for some serious framing. I'm not a big fan of getting vintage pieces framed, but I had little choice with this if I was going to do anything with it other than store it in a drawer.

The result is below. I wanted to share the photos not only because I'm really happy with how it turned out, and this is the first significant piece of Cleveland-related memorabilia I've added to my collection in some time, but also because I think it illustrates that if you can find the right person to work with you in framing a piece, it makes it very worthwhile.

The person who did this was knowledgeable about the right way to frame a fragile, vintage piece, and she understood my apprehension and answered every question I had (and there were a lot).

It was tough to photograph this, but I hope you'll get the idea.

Thanks for letting me ramble.

Old 08-06-2008, 08:00 PM
Administrator

Posted By: CarltonHendricks

Very nice Rob, what are the framed dimensions?....I saw a very similar item at the National, I'd never seen before...same type foldout, advertesing for Hickey's Department Store in Detroit...offered by basketball collector/dealer extrodinaire Hank Reizes....40" wide by 7 1/2" tall, $3,500.00...enough play time, back to sorting 1.5 million photos for my National coverage

Old 08-06-2008, 08:05 PM
Administrator

The framed dimensions are about 10 x 48.

The asking price on the piece you saw at the National has me feeling good about this one. Of course, I'd feel great if you said it sold for close to that ...

Old 08-06-2008, 08:11 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark

Rob... Beautiful/rare piece, and a gorgeous framing job! It can be so aggravating leaving these fragile pieces in the hands of others, but it looks like they framed it to perfection. I am sure they took the proper precautions to protect the piece as well.

This is so much nicer than leaving it folded up and tucked away. You could not have chosen a better way to dsplay this piece. Congrats on a great pickup and good photo, too. These long panoramas are nearly impossible to photograph with any clarity.

Old 08-06-2008, 08:35 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Keith

Beautiful piece Rob and equally nice framing job. For curiousity, who is the Yale football player pictured a couple down to the right of Nap.

Old 08-06-2008, 08:56 PM
Administrator

Posted By: MikePugeda

Nicely done Rob.

I remember seeing that in the H&S auction and thought it was a neat piece. You must have an incredible Cleveland collection.

Mike

Old 08-07-2008, 06:10 PM
Administrator

Keith,

The football player is identified as Captain Hogan of the Yale eleven.

Old 08-07-2008, 09:51 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jim VB

Rob,

Scanned from the catalog. Not great quality, but...

Your framed version looks great.