NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 11-11-2014, 08:54 PM
Jeff P0tter

Default Single Signed Baseball Qualifications

Hoping to get some thoughts from folks about when and what they consider "single signed " in regards to an autographed baseball Is other writing on the ball acceptable, if it's penned in the hand of someone other than the signer (ie, a notation from the owner, date, etc)? How about the owners name itself written or signed on it (assuming they are not famous themselves, I have seen this a few times most recently with a Ty Cobb ball I had). How about writing on a ball that has been obscured (worn off or can't tell if exactly what it is, other then ink marks). The reason I ask, is I am looking at a ball with one signature, and one clubhouse signature. I would think in most minds this would not qualify as single signed, but interested to hear opinions. I am sure there have been examples of Ruth clubhouse and Gehrig side panel, and that these aren't considered single signed by Gehrig (the example I am looking at isn't Ruth/Gehrig). Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
Old 11-12-2014, 08:19 AM
Shelly Jaf.fe

I would think that the name says it all. Single (one) signed ball. If there is another signature on the ball real or fake it is a multi signed ball.
Old 11-12-2014, 11:59 AM
M@rk V3l@rd3

Jeff,
I think you have 2 separate issues.
Shelly answered the first. By definition, a single signed ball is signed by only one person.
The second part is what is "acceptable". That is a personal decision and I don't think there is one right answer. It depends on multiple variables, including how does it display, how nice or meaningful is the most important sig, how much is the sale price, and how much does the buyer have to spend.
For example, If I found a ball, in my price range, signed on a side panel, "To Mark, my friend, Best Wishes, Lou Gehrig", I wouldn't care who else is on the ball. It still would not be considered a single signed ball, but that wouldn't matter to me.

Also, I don't think extra writing like a date or a description by a third party would change it to a multi signed ball, but it might change how desirable the ball is to an individual collector, either better or worse.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Mark

Other interests/sets/collectibles.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/96571220@N08/albums

My for sale or trade photobucket album
https://flic.kr/s/aHsk7c1SRL

Last edited by Lordstan; 11-12-2014 at 12:10 PM.
Old 11-12-2014, 01:12 PM
Jeff P0tter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordstan View Post
Jeff,
I think you have 2 separate issues.
Shelly answered the first. By definition, a single signed ball is signed by only one person.
The second part is what is "acceptable". That is a personal decision and I don't think there is one right answer. It depends on multiple variables, including how does it display, how nice or meaningful is the most important sig, how much is the sale price, and how much does the buyer have to spend.
For example, If I found a ball, in my price range, signed on a side panel, "To Mark, my friend, Best Wishes, Lou Gehrig", I wouldn't care who else is on the ball. It still would not be considered a single signed ball, but that wouldn't matter to me.

Also, I don't think extra writing like a date or a description by a third party would change it to a multi signed ball, but it might change how desirable the ball is to an individual collector, either better or worse.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Mark
Thanks for the response guys. I am of course familiar with what the strict definition of what single signed meant, the purpose of my post is to see what people who say they collect "single signed" find to be acceptable in their collection. For example, I have several people that only collect single signed baseballs, nothing else, that I have sold to on a repeat basis. One won't accept anything other than a signature, and it has to be sweet spot. One is fine with the signature on any part of the ball, and is okay with an inscription or even date or info notation from another person. One was okay with a clubhouse and an authentic signature. One doesn't care what's on the ball as long as it looks single signed (removals, additional writing, etc) as long as it looks like one signature when put in his locked display case. They all say they only collect "single signed" baseballs, but their interpretation differs from the definition, I believe. Personally for me, I would be okay with other writing like inscriptions or dates, but not okay with removals and I don't think I would want a clubhouse on it either, if I was to consider it for a single signed collection.