NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 11-12-2014, 12:28 PM
Belltown Vintage

Default Walter Johnson?

I don't like the looks of this. Thoughts?

Last edited by Runscott; 11-30-2014 at 12:06 PM.
Old 11-12-2014, 12:40 PM
Gr3g N@z@r3th

FWIW, I think it is OK. Have seen similar pages like that.

Last edited by gnaz01; 11-12-2014 at 12:40 PM.
Old 11-12-2014, 12:55 PM
Belltown Vintage

Thanks Greg. At first look I liked it okay, but something didn't feel right. So I started checking letter slant, and I don't like the way the up-stroke on the small letters in 'Johnson' go up sharply - normally the upstroke goes out a little to the right before straightening up. There aren't that many people who change that aspect of their signature.
Old 11-12-2014, 01:19 PM
Jeff P0tter

Hi Scott,
I think that is the same Johnson that someone here offered this summer if memory serves me. I remember the "W" specifically. If so, it was part of a multi signed program or magazine, with dozens of other signatures, if that helps at all.
Old 11-12-2014, 01:58 PM
David Linardy

Default Wajo

Scott,
Here's the one I own, both have to be 33 or later
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (57.1 KB, 220 views)
Old 11-12-2014, 02:05 PM
Tom
T0m Rus.so

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATP View Post
Hi Scott,
I think that is the same Johnson that someone here offered this summer if memory serves me. I remember the "W" specifically. If so, it was part of a multi signed program or magazine, with dozens of other signatures, if that helps at all.
It appears to be a page from Who's Who in Baseball by Harold "Speed" Johnson, 1933.
Old 11-12-2014, 03:21 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by daves_resale_shop View Post
Scott,
Here's the one I own, both have to be 33 or later
Dave, notice how yours is 'loopy' beginning with the bottom of the 'h', whereas the example I showed is zig-zag (down, then straight diagonal up and to the right). To me that is significant, but perhaps I am wrong.
Old 11-12-2014, 07:10 PM
Belltown Vintage

Since initial bids deadline has passed - it's in RR tonight. Good deal if you had faith in it, but I did not.

Sent from my SM-G730V using Tapatalk
Old 11-12-2014, 11:38 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

This was asked about and featured by the seller with a group of other signed pages within the last year on Net54. He then tried to sell on eBay and I was either the high bidder not meeting the reserve or the under bidder and the seller promptly offered it to me stating the high bidder backed out. It was part of a book with other signed who's who pages as well mostly Cleveland Indians if I remember correctly. I think it is authentic, although the pen tore the paper, but the seller seemed like he was trying to run a scam when he was initially selling so I walked away. Probably would have bid if I saw it. Jason
Old 11-13-2014, 08:19 AM
Belltown Vintage

It was being sold in RR as a complete book, and I thought the one offered here was pages removed from the book. I really thought they were two different items.

Here's the auction link: http://www.rrauction.com/bidtracker_detail.cfm?IN=850

Maybe none of the pages sold and he inserted them back into the book? If so, this description isn't accurate:

Signed book: Who’s Who in Major League Baseball. First edition. Chicago: Buxton Publishing Co., 1933. Hardcover, 9 x 11.25, 544 pages. Signed on the portrait on his biographical page in fountain pen, “Walter Johnson.” Also signed on several other pages by fellow players. Interior book pages in fine, clean condition but for collector’s pencil notations throughout updating the ballplayers’ career details, and slight skipping to ink in Johnson’s signature; book in very good condition, with a cracked and loose spine, and dings to edges and corners of the covers. This was the first edition of the Who’s Who ever published and is considered one of the more important baseball books of its era; other versions, released in digest form, would be issued annually until 1955. In addition to the historical importance of the book, signed images of Johnson are scarce and highly sought after. Pre-certified Steve Grad/PSA/DNA and RR Auction COA.

Last edited by Runscott; 11-13-2014 at 08:35 AM.
Old 11-13-2014, 09:24 AM
Jeff P0tter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
It was being sold in RR as a complete book, and I thought the one offered here was pages removed from the book. I really thought they were two different items.

Here's the auction link: http://www.rrauction.com/bidtracker_detail.cfm?IN=850

Maybe none of the pages sold and he inserted them back into the book? If so, this description isn't accurate:

Signed book: Who’s Who in Major League Baseball. First edition. Chicago: Buxton Publishing Co., 1933. Hardcover, 9 x 11.25, 544 pages. Signed on the portrait on his biographical page in fountain pen, “Walter Johnson.” Also signed on several other pages by fellow players. Interior book pages in fine, clean condition but for collector’s pencil notations throughout updating the ballplayers’ career details, and slight skipping to ink in Johnson’s signature; book in very good condition, with a cracked and loose spine, and dings to edges and corners of the covers. This was the first edition of the Who’s Who ever published and is considered one of the more important baseball books of its era; other versions, released in digest form, would be issued annually until 1955. In addition to the historical importance of the book, signed images of Johnson are scarce and highly sought after. Pre-certified Steve Grad/PSA/DNA and RR Auction COA.
Scott, here is the original post selling it

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthr...ghlight=Walter
Old 11-13-2014, 09:33 AM
Belltown Vintage

I missed that listing!

I think RR did the book a disservice by not listing the other autographs, and providing some scans - it would have seemed much more credible and almost certainly would have brought more (I'm saying that based on all the positive opinions here regarding the Johnson signature).
Old 11-13-2014, 09:34 AM
Gr3g N@z@r3th

I think someone got a great deal......