NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 08-18-2023, 04:01 AM
Ry@n \/3tt3R

Default 72 OPC pack rip

Sometimes I buy unopened packs for the sheer enjoyment of opening.
I completely get that this is a losing proposition.

This 72 OPC pack caught my eye so I picked it up from REA. Not sure I understand the appeal of having a slabbed pack sitting around.

But once I rip this open to find a bunch of OC commons, its money out the door.

Do I open it?

Post opening, are there any OPC collectors that I can donate the cards too?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg item_152206_1_343656.jpg (199.2 KB, 412 views)
Deals Done: GrayGhost, Count76, mybuddyinc, banksfan14, boysblue, Sverteramo, rocuan, rootsearcher60, GoldenAge50s, pt7464, trdcrdkid, T206.org, bnorth, frankrizzo29, David Atkatz, Johnny630, cardsamillion, SPMIDD, esehombre, bbsports, babraham, RhodeyRhode, Nate Adams, OhioCardCollector, ejstel, Golfcollector, Luke, 53toppscollector, benge610, Lunker21, VintageCardCo, jmanners51, T206CollectorVince, hockeyhockey

Collecting: T206

Monster #236
Old 08-18-2023, 05:29 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I am.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 08-18-2023, 05:57 AM

Careful - Jabs (whom I know is not held in high regard by some - most? - here) broke a 1972 OPC box on YouTube and each pack was a disaster - almost every card was ruined to some degree by the gum deteriorating over the years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjCeLNgFyN8
Old 08-18-2023, 06:33 AM
Ry@n \/3tt3R

Oh man , terrible video …

I am probably going to open this on Sunday -
I’ll post some pics.
Deals Done: GrayGhost, Count76, mybuddyinc, banksfan14, boysblue, Sverteramo, rocuan, rootsearcher60, GoldenAge50s, pt7464, trdcrdkid, T206.org, bnorth, frankrizzo29, David Atkatz, Johnny630, cardsamillion, SPMIDD, esehombre, bbsports, babraham, RhodeyRhode, Nate Adams, OhioCardCollector, ejstel, Golfcollector, Luke, 53toppscollector, benge610, Lunker21, VintageCardCo, jmanners51, T206CollectorVince, hockeyhockey

Monster #236
Old 08-18-2023, 07:43 AM
Sean McGinty

Oh man, that video is painful to watch, especially that Aaron in the first pack.

I was fortunate enough to learn that lesson much more cheaply when I opened a box of 91-92 OPC hockey that I paid about 10 bucks for last year and found that the gum had glued about 70% of the cards I pulled together (put some pics here: https://baseballcardsinjapan.blogspo...-japanese.html )

Until seeing that video I thought it was the extreme humidity here in Japan that had melted the gum, but I guess this is just a feature of The aging process of OPC gum?

Its a shame, as a Canadian kid I remember liking the taste of OPC gum way better than that of Topps, which was basically inedible.

Last edited by seanofjapan; 08-18-2023 at 07:51 AM.
Old 08-18-2023, 07:58 AM
Dave.Horn.ish

I would not open it-as above, there seems to be a specific issue with the wrapper, card and gum interaction for '72 OPC.
Old 08-18-2023, 09:29 AM
β∪τ∁ℏ †∪RΩεΓ

Old packs of cards make me nervous. Grip it, and rip it!

Butch

Completed: 1969 - 2000 Topps Baseball Sets and Traded Sets.

Senators and Frank Howard fan.

I collect Topps baseball variations -- I can quit anytime I want to.....I DON'T WANT TO.
Old 08-18-2023, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanofjapan View Post
Oh man, that video is painful to watch, especially that Aaron in the first pack.

I was fortunate enough to learn that lesson much more cheaply when I opened a box of 91-92 OPC hockey that I paid about 10 bucks for last year and found that the gum had glued about 70% of the cards I pulled together (put some pics here: https://baseballcardsinjapan.blogspo...-japanese.html )

Until seeing that video I thought it was the extreme humidity here in Japan that had melted the gum, but I guess this is just a feature of The aging process of OPC gum?

Its a shame, as a Canadian kid I remember liking the taste of OPC gum way better than that of Topps, which was basically inedible.
Egad - it looks like a AAA battery was flattened in the pack and corroded there!
Old 08-18-2023, 11:03 AM
J@son Per1

If your focus is financial gain, then definitely don't rip it. If you just want to rip it, then rip it.

There's a PSA 9 '72 OPC pack that looks like yours on sale on eBay for $599. It's an old label though. The seller indicates it is series 2. Not sure if you know what series yours is, but it would good to know...
Old 08-18-2023, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deweyinthehall View Post
Careful - Jabs (whom I know is not held in high regard by some - most? - here) broke a 1972 OPC box on YouTube and each pack was a disaster - almost every card was ruined to some degree by the gum deteriorating over the years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjCeLNgFyN8
I saw that video a while ago, hard to watch! I think it was a bbce wrapped box too.
Old 08-18-2023, 01:31 PM
Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by deweyinthehall View Post
Careful - Jabs (whom I know is not held in high regard by some - most? - here) [/url]
Just out of curiosity, what is it that folks don't like about him? My son and I watch some of his videos. He doesn't seem to know a lot about vintage and is more into modern. He seems to get super excited about low grade vintage stuff that is more or less common.
Old 08-18-2023, 01:33 PM
David M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanofjapan View Post
I wonder if there's something that could be used to soak that block of cards in that would have allowed them to be separated without ripping them to pieces? Or perhaps a cold soak or heating them up could loosen the old gum? Does anyone have experience dealing with this issue?
Old 08-18-2023, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kzoo View Post
Just out of curiosity, what is it that folks don't like about him? My son and I watch some of his videos..
Same. I have just watched his vintage breaks. Doesn’t seem to be any more annoying than a lot of the other guys 🤣
Old 08-18-2023, 03:26 PM
Bru.ce Wil.s0n

Quote:
Just out of curiosity, what is it that folks don't like about him? My son and I watch some of his videos. He doesn't seem to know a lot about vintage and is more into modern. He seems to get super excited about low grade vintage stuff that is more or less common.

I’ve never watched nor do I watch any of these influencers but I do hear stories. I think it’s ethical with this guy Is to why people don’t like him. He had a big public divorce, said he had cancer etc. I heard he tries to use these things for monetary advantages. He wanted money back on that box from the video and cried until he got. These are just the commonly known stories. If the man is really sick and down I feel bad for him but I haven’t heard much positive things. I just don’t watch those things. I guess I’m too old for that kinda stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-18-2023, 04:30 PM
Ry@n \/3tt3R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kutcher55 View Post
If your focus is financial gain, then definitely don't rip it. If you just want to rip it, then rip it.

There's a PSA 9 '72 OPC pack that looks like yours on sale on eBay for $599. It's an old label though. The seller indicates it is series 2. Not sure if you know what series yours is, but it would good to know...
Not trying for financial gain….
I don’t know if it’s series 2 and not sure how to tell .
I’ll report back after I crack and rip

Monster #236
Old 08-18-2023, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcwcardz View Post
I’ve never watched nor do I watch any of these influencers but I do hear stories. I think it’s ethical with this guy Is to why people don’t like him. He had a big public divorce, said he had cancer etc. I heard he tries to use these things for monetary advantages. He wanted money back on that box from the video and cried until he got. These are just the commonly known stories. If the man is really sick and down I feel bad for him but I haven’t heard much positive things. I just don’t watch those things. I guess I’m too old for that kinda stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No clue about 90% of this re this guy. But from what I remember from the video, he bought it from BBCE, set up a break and sold spots. He gave all the people their money back. No idea what that wax box must have cost, but if I paid bbce pricing for that and it came back water/moisture damaged that bad, I’d probably bitch too.
Old 08-18-2023, 06:01 PM

Beautiful pack. Seems almost a crime to rip it.
Old 08-18-2023, 09:00 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

If you're ripping it, you gotta be filming it!! Nothing else will do. Get it on tape for posterity (and, of course, for your fellow members to totally enjoy). Please.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 08-19-2023, 06:55 AM
Ry@n \/3tt3R

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
If you're ripping it, you gotta be filming it!! Nothing else will do. Get it on tape for posterity (and, of course, for your fellow members to totally enjoy). Please.
I’ll see what I can do, Elm

Monster #236
Old 08-19-2023, 07:11 AM

Quote:
I've heard the stories, but in terms of actually watching his breaks, they can be fun - but I only watch the vintage stuff. He gets a little too excitable for my tastes some times.

A low point was when he busted a box of 1979 Topps from BBCE. After the first dozen or so packs, it was clear that he got a lemon - all the cards are from a single printing sheet that had only Robin Yount, no other starts, or even any team cards, checklists, leaders, record breakers, etc. And it was clear from printing defects that all 500+ cards came from the same few sheets.

His viewers whined about it obviously being a searched box, when it obviously wasn't. They were up in arms about his right to a refund, searched box or not, and he did eventually get something.

I commented on the video that had he gotten a box consisting only of cards from the Ozzie Smith sheet, and wound up with 5 or 6 mint Ozzies, no one would be suggesting he owed BBCE exchange anything, but it didn't seem to dim peoples' sense (including his own) that he was somehow entitled to something.

I will admit these sorts of videos do irritate me in the sense they help turn the hobby into a lottery. I watched him break a 2011 Topps Update looking for the Trout. Having opened a number of Topps jumbo boxes I knew for a fact he would be getting the whole set, including the Trout, but it took him until the the second half of the final pack - I have to say I was rooting for him to come away empty handed. Was that bad of me?
Old 08-19-2023, 08:20 AM
Adam Vanburen

Hi Ryan, if I were in your shoes, I would not open it. There is a chance that 3-5 of the 8 cards could be damaged by the gum soaking through the cards. Jabs broke a 2nd Series wax box and all of those packs had the gum bleed through half of the cards.

I would guess that your pack is a "2nd Series" pack with cards #264-525. This is the series that has the Clemente and Aaron. If you do decide to open it, I would be interested in buying the singles because I am actively working on this set.

Adam
Old 08-19-2023, 11:29 PM
"Thumbs Down Guy"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar_Stanage View Post
Not sure I understand the appeal of having a slabbed pack sitting around.
It serves as an extra hurdle to jump if you ever get tempted to open the pack. I mean, if you're going to open it you're going to open it, but if it's slabbed you have to make the effort to break the slab, and in doing so you have to be very careful that breaking the slab doesn't damage the pack or any cards.
Old 08-20-2023, 01:07 PM
Ry@n \/3tt3R

Thank you for all the comments.
Some have had me 2nd guess opening, but I think am still going to.

I got as far as setting up my YouTube account, but realized I don’t have the tools to crack this slab properly. It’s a bit stronger than a regular PSA slab.

I have to delay the opening, but do plan on making a video to share on this thread

Monster #236
Old 08-20-2023, 02:19 PM
J@son Per1

I think it looks great in the slab. There can’t be many of those out there. Very snazzy wrapper.
Old 08-20-2023, 03:10 PM
Ry@n \/3tt3R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kutcher55 View Post
I think it looks great in the slab. There can’t be many of those out there. Very snazzy wrapper.
yes, it is extremely clean.... here is the back:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg item_152206_2_343657.jpg (199.4 KB, 182 views)

Monster #236
Old 08-22-2023, 05:36 PM

dude...good luck with opening that. i hope you get some quality cards in there
Old 08-23-2023, 08:44 AM

I'm currently about 55% of my way through a 77' OPC Hobby Box.
The rip has been unbelievably enjoyable.
The results so far have been less so.

My guess on yours is that anywhere from 6 to 8 cards will be OC with some miserably OC. At least one, the back facing card will have wax and the gum may present issues too on at least one card.
I have been very lucky with my 77' OPC box as the gum side has presented no issues at all except for a little gum powder dust that cleans right off.

My best packs (only a few) have produced 2 gradeable cards that might be 9's.

I'm in it for the fun mostly. Certainly not the profit although I'm slowly working on a graded set.
If its me, I'm ripping it but I do hate trying to crack slabs. Its nerve wracking.
RayB