NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-16-2004, 11:29 AM
Administrator

Default NEW eBay Fraud - just wanted to warn you all!

Posted By: Jon Canfield 

I justr eceived this email...

Dear eBay member,

During our regular update and verification of the accounts, we could not verify your current information. Either your information has changed or it is incomplete.As a result, your access to bid or buy on eBay has been restricted. Please re-updateyour account. You HAVE to fill all the tabs in the form.
Do not respond to this email, as your reply will not be received. In order to enjoyyour services and keep your account active please click on the link below,and update your credit/debit card that we have on the file:
http://pages.ebay.com/update/eBayDLLupdate.dll

Thank you for your patience in this matter.

Regards, Customer Support (Trust and Safety Department)
eBay Inc

===============

Now, when you click on the link, it appears to be real, but it is not. If you get this email, do not log in otherwise your name and password can be hijacked. I know we all have posted on eBay fraud before but usually the emails ask for your name and password to be emailed. This new message doesn't ask for it - in fact it says DONT RESPOND. This is much more deceptive!

Old 06-16-2004, 01:56 PM
Administrator

Posted By: andy becker

it did look real. i went out of email, and checked my account (that's how real it looked!!).

Old 06-16-2004, 02:18 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

another tip off that it is bogus is that every CS letter I've ever gotten from eBay always had a person's name at the end. I have yet to see a hoax that put a person's name at the end.

Jay

Old 06-16-2004, 02:33 PM
Administrator

Posted By: hankron

The key for any of these emails-- real or fake--, is to not follow the links in the email. Freshly open up the internet, type in the site's address (i.e. www.ebay.com, www.paypa.com) and proceed from there.

Old 06-16-2004, 02:38 PM
Administrator

Posted By: bcornell

Any suspicious email like this one can be forwarded to spoof@ebay.com for confirmation as to whether it came from eBay; spoof@paypal.com provides the same service for supposed PayPal emails.

The Anti-Phishing Working Group maintains a website that explains "phishing" (attempted account takeovers) and regularly reports on bogus email threats like the one Jon cited.

Also, eBay provides a free toolbar that has a visible alert when a browser is showing a spoof site.

One general rule about these spoof emails is that the English is usually atrocious (misspellings, poor grammar, etc.). That's no surprise, as they almost always come from outside of the US. The senders would get their due here: prosecution and jail time.

Old 06-16-2004, 04:02 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff S

I can't think of a single time eBay actually REQUIRES you to respond to something from an e-mail! (They do notify you of stuff like account suspensions, but you can deal with it other ways.) You can access almost everything via "my eBay." Ever since the spoof e-mails started bouncing around, I haven't responded directly to anything--spoof or not. Somehow my vaunted powerseller status is intact!

Old 06-30-2004, 08:39 PM
Administrator

Posted By: walter ruether

I was fooled twice by this email & as a result my account was hacked into , I went to check my auctions one day & there was a boat listed for 15,000 I had to have ebay suspend my account to investigate, then change my email & password before my account was reinstated, so thats what will happen if you take these bogus emails seriously! Basically its a way for people to get all your info list on your account & divert the money to them by tapping into your email, a stupid scam if you ask me!