NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present)

Old 03-31-2015, 08:39 AM
Darrell

Default My Favorite Killer Card

Have a ton of Killebrew's cards but, this is my fave!

Old 03-31-2015, 08:45 AM

Default Cool card!

That's a neat card! Always like to see cards with a player and youngster. There are a few vintage cards out there with the player and kid. (Mascot)

Thanks for sharing!
Old 03-31-2015, 08:51 AM
T0dd M@rcum

I thought this was going to be an OJ Simpson/Aaron Hernandez/Hiroshi Ogawa thread. I much prefer my killers of a gentler nature.

Tough to beat the 56. I appreciate the effort on the foul ball.
Old 03-31-2015, 09:15 AM
Bry@n

You know what is tough to beat? That full-body wind breaker the kid is wearing in the OP's card!

BTW - is that you in that card, Delta?
Old 03-31-2015, 09:21 AM
Darrell

I agree! The 56 is nice and I know the Harmon and Drew card is not Vintage, but it will right next to his 56 Topps.

Old 03-31-2015, 09:44 AM
Darrell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobu View Post
You know what is tough to beat? That full-body wind breaker the kid is wearing in the OP's card!

BTW - is that you in that card, Delta?
Nope! Not me..
Old 03-31-2015, 10:38 AM

Thank you for posting your Drew & Killer card---how precious!

It was about September 20, 1967. My brother was working for NBC News. He was a motion picture cameraman. On that day, he was assigned to film a story Chick McCuen was doing at Comiskey Park when the White Sox were hosting the Minnesota Twins. Well, somehow my brother was able to get me--a quiet, shy 13-year-old, a field pass to be on the playing field with him while he was filming the story. My mother knew what my big brother was trying to do for me, and graciously called the school to say I would not be present. A present of a different sort awaited me. Being on a major league field, and one I'd seen often on TV, was so exciting, naturally. Since it was a couple hours before the game, it was a low-key time, with players limbering up here and there.

I worked up enough courage to get a few autographs. For some reason, most of the players I sought were Minnesota Twins. Most of them were very accommodating, including one Mr. Harmon Killebrew. He looked so massive, and his firm handshake was an extra large Vise Grip! This took place near home plate while the players were practicing and warming up.

Ok, so this guy with his family at the edge of the boxed seats hollers for me to come over. Being pretty innocent, I went over to see what he wanted. He asked me to get Harmon to autograph his scorecard. Naturally, he pleaded with me pretty hard, and so I agreed to try. I was scared caused I really did not want to do it, 'cause the last thing I wanted to do was annoy or upset Mr. Killebrew. Well, by this time Harmon was warming up with someone, and now I was in the way. I felt just awful. But Harmon, bless his heart, took it all in stride, and without saying a word, hurriedly signed the program, and I vamoosed pronto. I ran it back to the guy, and got away quick.

I will never, ever forget Harmon Killebrew's compassion and understanding to me that afternoon. He sure didn't have any right to be so agreeable. I was so touched and humbled by it all. The tears are welling up in me now as I remember the whole scene. It was just a little thing. Maybe Harmon faced something like this a few times a game by then. Still, that was the only time I met him, and he made me feel so at ease and was very nice. I was happy, and now relieved he was "ok" with this extra autograph.

As you can imagine, I became a Harmon Killebrew fan, among the many others I liked, for the rest of my life.

I remember a phrase Ted Williams used in his autobiography, MY TURN AT BAT, that comes back to me at this moment: "A man never stands so tall as when he stoops to help a kid."

Right on, Ted. Harmon was a prince of a man. I will never, ever forget him and how he treated me that afternoon in 67.

I guess your card of Harmon & Drew brought my memory of Mr. Killebrew back to me. I needed that. Thanks, pal. ---Brian Powell

Last edited by brian1961; 03-31-2015 at 12:38 PM.
Old 03-31-2015, 11:34 AM
Darrell

Thank you Brian for that story. Very touching to read. That story and many others are the reason I love Baseball.
Old 03-31-2015, 05:53 PM

Default The Killer

Brian,

neat story, thanks for posting.

Z
Old 04-06-2015, 12:25 PM
J@RR0D

I was just thinking today about putting up my entire Killebrew collection for sale. Now I'm torn, as you reminded me of the very reason I started collecting him in the first place.
Old 04-06-2015, 12:33 PM
Al Richter

Default Harmon

Old 04-07-2015, 10:35 AM

Ya know, Jarrod, unless you truly need the dough, do not sell your Killer collection.

I'm sixty, and I've liked a lot of players from different sports over the years. With some, it's an extra special appreciation. You might have "walked away" from your collection of Mr. Killebrew, with other interests, commitments, and things you have had to deal with that consumed a lot of time. But, when you are finally ready to sit down, relax, and want to really enjoy what you have taken a lot of time, effort, and expense to collect---is your collection of Mr. Killebrew among the things that comes to your mind first?

If so, simply, don't you dare sell them.

From a fellow collecting bro who cares---Brian Powell
Old 04-07-2015, 05:10 PM
J@RR0D

Brian, that was really nice to hear. Harmon is the only player I actually "collect", as in I have his full Topps run, tons of autos, photos, and a lot more. I was fortunate enough to correspond with him via email before he passed. I still occasionally get cards from his wife Nita.

Funny enough, the one thing I was needing some cash for fell through yesterday which I should take as a sign. I'll have to get my Killer collection out soon and look through it. Until then, here is my favorite piece- a 1960 Topps Flexichrome handpainted for a home run leaders card of Harmon and Rocky Colavito. It was never released because Rocky was traded at the beginning of the season. It's beautiful and vivid in person. I actually picked it up here years ago from Bob Lemke.

Old 04-08-2015, 07:11 AM
Al Richter

Default Duo

Great picture
Old 04-11-2015, 09:48 AM
Aa.ron Pa.tton
Banned

Yeah, Jarrod.....I've always absolutely loved that piece. Thanks for sharing it again.
Old 04-17-2015, 05:43 PM
rgpete

My 2 Cents
Attached Images
File Type: jpg killebrew 001.jpg (74.9 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg killebrew 002.jpg (67.2 KB, 46 views)
Old 04-18-2015, 08:16 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post

What's the story with Harmon wearing Cleveland uni ?

I was about to correct you thinking that it was Al Rosen at bat, but then I saw that the catcher is also wearing an Indians uniform, Was it a charity game or what?

-Raymond

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 04-19-2015, 07:28 AM
Al Richter

Default Rosen

Raymond-- you are correct, not Harmon, but Rosen in Spring training game. Bill Lobe is the catcher. One of 4 SI 's from 1954 and 1955 to include reprints of Topps cards from those years