NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 08-30-2017, 03:54 PM
Andrew Aronstein

Default Napoleon Lajoie photo by Louis Van Oeyen

Looking for some opinions on this Lajoie piece. It's definitely a Luis Van Oeyen photo mounted to board. Looks like maybe it was setup to be used in a publication but I'm wondering if anyone might have more insight. Thanks .

Old 08-30-2017, 04:40 PM
Graig Kreindler

It sure is puurrrdddy! That's fo' sho'.
Old 08-30-2017, 05:47 PM
Andrew Aronstein

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKreindler View Post
It sure is puurrrdddy! That's fo' sho'.

Agreed . Did you happen to see the two Conlons I posted in the other thread?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-30-2017, 08:49 PM
Paul Herbener

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCMA View Post
Looking for some opinions on this Lajoie piece. It's definitely a Luis Van Oeyen photo mounted to board. Looks like maybe it was setup to be used in a publication but I'm wondering if anyone might have more insight. Thanks .
]
Great photo Andrew!! Wish I could give you more insight but I love the image!
Old 08-31-2017, 12:34 PM

Default Awesome

Great photo. Thanks for sharing. It is so cool how you just find these items in your files. If this was my archive, I am not sure I could keep myself from immediately going through every image in the group. Super collection! Please post more gems as you uncover them.

Last edited by horzverti; 08-31-2017 at 12:35 PM.
Old 09-01-2017, 02:32 PM
Bill Boyd

Andrew,
That is a great Lajoie photo.

The Western Reserve Historical Society has a VanOyen Collection of photos that came our of the archives of the Cleveland Press where VanOyen worked, but many of the photos were taken before that newspaper went out of business.
I have a list of photos by VanOyen, but there is only seven LaJoie photos in the collection. Six give descriptions that do not match yours, but a seventh one does not have much of a description.
It only states "Cleveland's Peerless Baseball Leader", and states it was on the front page of the Plain Dealer, year of 1908, no exact date. The folder number is 2053. You can call them and with any luck, maybe you can find a match. It may be just the negative in their file.
Good Luck.
Old 09-01-2017, 04:40 PM
Peter F

Wow Bill, that's great information.

I checked Marc Okkonen's Uniform book and looking at Indians unis from 1902-1914 when Nap was with them, it has to be a road uniform and is most likely from 1905.

I say most likely because although the shows that year as being gray, the uniform style, hat, and socks match. All the other years either the uniform is different, or the hat and socks dont match.

This said, maybe it was spring training (did Van Oyen travel w the team?) and Nap was wearing any old uniform, or he wore different socks that day, etc.

Hope this helps.
Old 09-01-2017, 07:58 PM
Bill Boyd

Andrew,
Going through the VanOyen inventory list, there are many unknown players with these photos. It was apparent, VanOyen did not mark all his photos with the players names. After his passing, depending on who handled these photos for listing them in this index, they may not have recognized Lajoie.
So to be on the safe side, I want to send you two other possibilities. The first is in folder #2204, which lists the following.

Unidentified baseball player, Cleveland
Unidentified baseball player, Cleveland, n.d.
Unidentified baseball player, holding a bat, posing for camera.

The second one in Folder #2206 states;

Unidentified baseball player, n.d.
Unidentified baseball player, n.d.
Unidentified baseball player, holding a bat, posing for camera

There is no year for either photo. The first one does sound interesting. It may not help in for what information you are looking for, but who knows.

I noticed that Getty images also has the same photo, just to let you know, many of the VanOyen photos in the VanOyen collection, the image is owned by Getty. Getty bought out all the photos from the Cleveland Press when they folded, but for some reason, many of the images owned by Getty ended up in the WRHS.

I hope this helps, good luck.
Old 09-03-2017, 08:51 AM
Andrew Aronstein

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyb View Post

I have a list of photos by VanOyen, but there is only seven LaJoie photos in the collection. Six give descriptions that do not match yours, but a seventh one does not have much of a description.

It only states "Cleveland's Peerless Baseball Leader", and states it was on the front page of the Plain Dealer, year of 1908, no exact date. The folder number is 2053.

Bill, thanks for that GREAT info. I will definitely be in touch with them this week. Will update this thread when they get back to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-05-2017, 12:07 AM

People forget the Great Van Oeyen was just a diminutive little guy with a floppy hat and glasses who worked at a newspaper, no different really than a copy-editor or obituary writer at the time. The vast majority of his work (and I mean at LEAST 90%++) was never credited and a lot of the NEA sports stuff after WWI through the 1930's was taken by him. Every now and then you see something with his name on it, but from 1918-1930's and beyond, he was just a salaried employee in Cleveland living in a small house, and working in a small office, taking daily assignments to take pictures of... whatever the newspaper wanted him to do. Most of the images taken by him were developed by other guys at the newspaper and identified by others off his negatives. Only the early stuff and a small vein in the 1920's and 1930's actually bears his handwriting on the back for the most part. It is sad that these guys were forgotten for so long, but researching them and their photography now 100 years later is almost impossible. Even the library that has his "collection" knows next to nothing about his life and photography.