NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 08-12-2017, 04:23 PM
George

Default "Bob" vs "Roberto" Clemente

Topps Anglicized Roberto Clemente's name as "Bob" from 1957 to 1969, but I only recently noticed that just about every other card maker was calling him Roberto in the '60s. Included here are a '62 Salada coin, '63 Post and Fleer, '68 KDKA and Atlantic Oil and '69 Nabisco and Transogram cards.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bob clemente.jpg (20.4 KB, 404 views)
Old 08-12-2017, 06:22 PM
Dave_Berg

I thought I've read he didn't like being called "Bob" as his given name was Roberto.
Old 08-13-2017, 06:07 AM
Bob F.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonepony View Post
I thought I've read he didn't like being called "Bob" as his given name was Roberto.
How could someone not like being called "Bob"?
Old 08-13-2017, 06:16 AM
D@le Irv*n

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...y-of-his-debut

9. Although many media organizations and the Topps baseball card company often referred to him as “Bob,” Clemente adamantly rejected that name and repeatedly insisted he be called Roberto.
Old 08-16-2017, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irv View Post

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...y-of-his-debut

9. Although many media organizations and the Topps baseball card company often referred to him as “Bob,” Clemente adamantly rejected that name and repeatedly insisted he be called Roberto.

Thanks Irv, enjoyed reading that. I did not realize he perished on the plane he rented....and was only on the flight because the previous shipments he sent over were hijacked. What an incredible person.

Z
Old 08-13-2017, 07:59 PM
Howard Chasser

Default Perhaps a better question.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsbbcards View Post
How could someone not like being called "Bob"?
Is how would someone named bob like being called Roberto?!
Old 08-15-2017, 08:35 PM
Sc0tt Sp@id

I think the Topps typesetter got lazy.
Old 08-15-2017, 10:19 PM

[QUOTE=spaidly;1691153]I think the Topps typesetter got lazy.[/QUOTE

Don't think that's it.
Old 08-16-2017, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcv123 View Post
Is how would someone named bob like being called Roberto?!
I have a friend that we have called Roberto, he doesn't mind it. Bob Prince was close friends with Roberto and always called him Bob or Bobby. I think that the root of the problem is the racism and bigotry against Spanish speaking people that Roberto faced when he came to the continental United States from Puerto Rico. Some of those media members that called him Bob in their articles, in the same article made fun of his broken English.
Old 08-12-2017, 06:31 PM
Brad

As a Clemente fan, his Topps issues from the '57-69 era have always driven me nuts. I've also read before that the "Bob" references supposedly irked Clemente.

Last edited by BradH; 08-12-2017 at 06:31 PM.
Old 08-12-2017, 06:36 PM
Peter Spaeth

It made even less sense because he was Roberto on his first two Topps cards.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 09-02-2017, 11:59 PM
Todd Schultz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
It made even less sense because he was Roberto on his first two Topps cards.
Indeed.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.
Old 08-13-2017, 10:40 AM
Jason A. Schwartz

At least they didn't go with Bob Walker!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Collecting interests and want lists at https://jasoncards.wordpress.com/201...nd-want-lists/
Old 08-16-2017, 10:42 AM
Jason A. Schwartz

This graph shows Topps was really in the minority during this time.

Collecting interests and want lists at https://jasoncards.wordpress.com/201...nd-want-lists/
Old 08-30-2017, 06:01 PM

Neat graph. Extra insulting is that they happily named his caucasian contemporaries by whatever name they preferred (e.g., Sandy Koufax rather than Sanford, in fact even putting Sandy in quotes on his '55 card, so it's not like they didn't know it wasn't his formal name), but for Clemente they assign him a name he doesn't want to replace his actual name. That was f'd-up.
Old 08-30-2017, 06:03 PM
Jason A. Schwartz

Also weird is that other players with Latin names tended to keep them on their cards these same years. Example: Luis Aparicio.

Old 08-30-2017, 06:13 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Racism, plain and simple.

see also 'Chief' Bender, etc.

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 08-31-2017, 07:04 PM
M@tt McC@rthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydepepper View Post
Racism, plain and simple.

see also 'Chief' Bender, etc.

Yet Jacoby Ellsbury's nickname is Chief as he had that on his Player's Weekend jersey...just sayin'...

Jacoby Ellsbury: "Chief"
Ellsbury is part Navajo, and he is honoring his heritage this weekend with a nickname a lot of his teammates have called him over the years.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.mlb...names.amp.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I collect Hal Chase, Diamond Stars (PSA 5 or better), 1951 Bowman (Raw Ex or better), 1954 Topps (PSA 7 or better), 1956 Topps (Raw Ex or better), 3x5 Hall of Fame Autographs and autographed Perez Steele Postcards. You can see my collection by going to http://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/BigSix.

Last edited by Big Six; 08-31-2017 at 07:05 PM.
Old 08-31-2017, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Six View Post
Yet Jacoby Ellsbury's nickname is Chief as he had that on his Player's Weekend jersey...just sayin'...

Jacoby Ellsbury: "Chief"
Ellsbury is part Navajo, and he is honoring his heritage this weekend with a nickname a lot of his teammates have called him over the years.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.mlb...names.amp.html

It's understandable that not every member of a given minority has an issue with race-specific nicknames.

I'm Guessing that it is also true that Jacob Ellsbury's personal connection to his cultural past may not be as strong as those who, in the first half of the 20th century (at least) were the objects of far worse abuse than the playful 'Chief' called out Ellsbury's way.

IMO, the root of racism is not in the actual word, but rather the intent behind that word.

I doubt very seriously if Jacoby's teammates are aiming to demean him by calling him that and his choosing to use it for the 'nickname event', indicates that.

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 08-31-2017, 07:20 PM
M@tt McC@rthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydepepper View Post
It's understandable that not every member of a given minority has an issue with race-specific nicknames.

I'm Guessing that it is also true that Jacob Ellsbury's personal connection to his cultural past may not be as strong as those who, in the first half of the 20th century (at least) were the objects of far worse abuse than the playful 'Chief' called out Ellsbury's way.

IMO, the root of racism is not in the actual word, but rather the intent behind that word.

I doubt very seriously if Jacoby's teammates are aiming to demean him by calling him that and his choosing to use it for the 'nickname event', indicates that.

Completely agree. My softball buddies all call me "Mick" (I'm Irish and a McCarthy) and I take no offense...surely things would be different 100+ years ago as Mick was a negative term. Intent makes a difference. Just want to point out that we also have the power to dictate certain things. Ellsbury wears Chief as a badge of honor...hard to turn that around and take it in a negative connotation as he owns that nickname. Guess that's the way I look at team names like Braves and Redskins. I see them as being homages and something to take pride in, not racist. But I digress...

I collect Hal Chase, Diamond Stars (PSA 5 or better), 1951 Bowman (Raw Ex or better), 1954 Topps (PSA 7 or better), 1956 Topps (Raw Ex or better), 3x5 Hall of Fame Autographs and autographed Perez Steele Postcards. You can see my collection by going to http://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/BigSix.
Old 08-31-2017, 07:23 PM
M@tt McC@rthy

BTW...Bender, too, embraced his nickname...had it emblazoned on his tombstone...so I think he didn't necessarily see it as racist...

Last edited by Big Six; 08-31-2017 at 07:24 PM.
Old 09-03-2017, 04:24 AM
Jason A. Schwartz

This is from the Encyclopedia Brittanica, if anyone remembers what that is!!

"While Clemente amassed a mountain of impressive statistics during his career, he was often mocked by the print media in the United States for his heavy Spanish accent. Clemente was also subjected to the doublediscrimination*of being a foreigner and being black in a racially segregated society. Although the media tried to call him “Bob” or “Bobby” and many of his baseball cards use “Bob,” Clemente explicitly rejected those nicknames, stating in no uncertain terms that his name was Roberto. There was also confusion over the correct form of his*surname. For 27 years the plaque at the National Baseball Hall of Fame read “Roberto Walker Clemente,” mistakenly placing his mother’s maiden name before his father’s surname. Only in 2000 was it changed to its proper Latin American form, Roberto Clemente Walker."

Old 09-03-2017, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason.1969 View Post
This is from the Encyclopedia Brittanica, if anyone remembers what that is!!

"While Clemente amassed a mountain of impressive statistics during his career, he was often mocked by the print media in the United States for his heavy Spanish accent. Clemente was also subjected to the doublediscrimination*of being a foreigner and being black in a racially segregated society. Although the media tried to call him “Bob” or “Bobby” and many of his baseball cards use “Bob,” Clemente explicitly rejected those nicknames, stating in no uncertain terms that his name was Roberto. There was also confusion over the correct form of his*surname. For 27 years the plaque at the National Baseball Hall of Fame read “Roberto Walker Clemente,” mistakenly placing his mother’s maiden name before his father’s surname. Only in 2000 was it changed to its proper Latin American form, Roberto Clemente Walker."

Great Info, Jason. Thanks!

-

Old 09-03-2017, 01:22 PM
Jason A. Schwartz

From the SABR bio of Pirates broadcaster Roberto Prince...

"Over the years, Clemente and Prince became close. Prince was one of the few people, perhaps the only one, who regularly got away with referring to Clemente as "Bob" or "Bobby," an Americanization of his name that the proud Clemente despised.*"

Old 09-03-2017, 01:25 PM
Jason A. Schwartz

Am curious who at Topps--if anyone--decides what name to put on a player's card. One possibility could even be that Topps jist worked off some list provided by the teams. Anyone know?