NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 11-27-2011, 08:22 PM

Default Lowe and Campbell question

Does anyone know when Lowe and Campbell started making sports equipment? I am trying to date a basketball jersey. Does anyone have a cloth label on their Lowe and Campbell equipment that they are certain of the year? Can you show them, here? Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks, Andy Sandler alwysyakn@aol.com (845) 331-8610 NY
Old 11-28-2011, 10:23 PM

Default turn of the century

Andy, I don't know the exact date they started...but I do know George Lowe was the buyer for Schmelzer Arms Company who were a large sports equipment maker and retailer in Kansas City from the later 19th century...Kansas City was also the home of Lowe and Campbell...

George Lowe probably felt he could do it better than Schmelzer and ventured out on his own...I would speculate he started around the turn of the century..probably started small and grew....I scoured the net but it looks like you'd need deeper research...like micorfilm of the leadng newspaper of Kansas City at turn of the century.

http://www.sportsantiques.com/portlandpg6.htm
See above link, 8th paragraph down for a snipit of a reference in a brief profile I wrote on the Shmelzer Arms Company...which I culled from a 1930 Sporting Good Illustarted magazine.

Old 11-29-2011, 10:12 AM

Default Hi Carlton!

Hi Carlton! Thanks for your help. The item I have that I am trying to figure out the year is a Yale basketball jersey. My guess it is from around 1895 to 1915. I looked on the internet, as well, and found nothing. I do not have a Yale school yearbook from the era, either.
Thanks, Andy
Old 11-29-2011, 02:29 PM

Default photos please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Sandler View Post
Hi Carlton! Thanks for your help. The item I have that I am trying to figure out the year is a Yale basketball jersey. My guess it is from around 1895 to 1915. I looked on the internet, as well, and found nothing. I do not have a Yale school yearbook from the era, either.
Thanks, Andy
Andy, Sounds like a very cool jersey...please post a photo...also with close ups of the tag....That's a coincidence....I just got outbid on a vintage Yale basketball jersey a couple days ago...but it was a Spalding....had a large Y on the chest flanked with smaller B's on each side.

Old 11-29-2011, 07:30 PM

Default Carlton, here is a photo

Hi Carlton! Here is a photo.
Andy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001.jpg (78.3 KB, 170 views)
Old 12-01-2011, 05:44 PM

Default Yale Uniform

Andy...

That is a gorgeous item! I might be able to date it through guides and yearbooks. I'll check into it this weekend.

Pat
Old 12-02-2011, 05:22 AM

Default Yale University?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Sandler View Post
Hi Carlton! Here is a photo.
Andy
http://www2.yalelock.com/Yale/Templa...l____1630.aspx
Andy, It's a nice looking uniform but I'm suspicious it may not be Yale University...I beleive there were a lot of company teams in the 1920’s...I'm thinking your uniform may have been for the Yale Lock company...

It's orange and black and I can't imagine Yale University not wearing the school colors blue and white...orange and black were the colors of Yale U's biggest rivalry...Princeton...(not Harvard as most assume)...and I can't imagine wearing the colors of your rival..see link above...Nevertheless it's still a very nice uniform.

Old 03-23-2012, 07:07 AM

Default Yale Jersey

Hi Andy...

I can confirm what Carlton said. I looked in my old Spalding guides and both all the Yale images are a "Y" flanked by to "b"s. Interestingly, the Harvard jersey has an "H" flanked by the same two "b"s.

Pat
Old 03-23-2012, 07:22 AM

I had a large Football photo once from Ohio and it was a semi-pro team and they were called the "Massilon Yale's" and had Yale on their jersey so perhaps it is the same area of the Country and used the same Mascot for their Basketball team? At least it confirms that other teams besides the University were using this nickname. The jersey is a beauty regardless.

Rhys
Old 03-23-2012, 09:07 PM

Default Thank you!

Thanks for everyone's help!
Regards, Andy Sandler alwysyakn@aol.com