NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 09-01-2017, 03:01 AM
Jam.es Braci.liano

Default September Pickups

I love error cards but I don't usually collect blank backs, except when they are HOF'ers
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l1600.jpg (78.2 KB, 579 views)
File Type: jpg s-l1600_1.jpg (67.9 KB, 570 views)
Old 09-01-2017, 09:38 AM

Nice Snyder!

Just curious; wouldn't it make sense that the whole sheet that the Snyder card was originally printed on likely be blank backed?
Anyone have knowledge or insight on this?
RayB
Old 09-01-2017, 10:00 AM
Al Richter

I think it is virtually impossible to tell if such cards are cut from a proof shhet or a misprint. Unless they come directly from Topps Vault
Old 09-03-2017, 12:59 PM
J.O.N

Picked these up today. I really like the '65 and have always loved the image on the '72

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My PM box might be full.

Email:
jcfowler6@zoominternet.net

Want list:
Prewar Pirates items
1909 Pirates
BF2 Wagner
Cracker Jack Wagner and Clarke

Love the hobby.
Old 09-04-2017, 07:08 PM
D@le Irv*n

Some recent P/U's for my 52 Topps set. I normally try for better conditioned cards but I was admittedly impatient with the Reiser, Erskine and Gromek cards.
The Dickson, I am happy with, although I prefer a bit better centering, but it's in great shape so I can't complain.

The Reiser colors pop so it's a shame about the overall condition. The Erskine looks sunwashed to me, but maybe that's the way they all look?

Either way, glad to add these to my collection.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Carl Erskine.jpg (74.2 KB, 447 views)
File Type: jpg Pete Reiser.jpg (74.6 KB, 446 views)
File Type: jpg Steve Gromek.jpg (77.8 KB, 451 views)
File Type: jpg Murry Dickson.jpg (75.0 KB, 451 views)
Old 09-05-2017, 10:51 AM

Irv - Great Progress!

Here's a couple of 63T I'm excited about.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 63Tluplow8.jpg (78.5 KB, 419 views)
File Type: jpg 63TChance8.jpg (78.3 KB, 414 views)
Old 09-05-2017, 07:53 PM
David Linardy

Default Teddy ballgame

last summer I helped two of my friends (twins) clean out their late father's house. He was a spirited collector who seemed to have an interest in virtually everything... It was quite the journey... I wore my fair share of mouse feces, burnt out 3 pairs of shoes, and even pulled a few muscles in the process...

It was well worth it.

My friendship with the both of them grew.
I got to know their father box by box
And I got to take part in the unearthing of the coolest collection I have ever seen.

I've never been good at accepting gifts, and I always felt as though accepting something for doing a good deed cancels out the good deed.

Yesterday we were invited to a picnic at one of the Twins house... while I apparently wasn't looking they gave these cards to my wife and suggested that she give them to me tommorrow... came home to find a 40&41 play ball on my countertop... Both cards were part of their dads collection and among a grouping that were freshly graded... They will keep my 39 play ball company for years to come...

Thoughtful, unnecessary, and appreciated...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1458.jpg (78.9 KB, 389 views)
Old 09-05-2017, 08:07 PM
J.O.N

Quote:
Originally Posted by daves_resale_shop View Post
last summer I helped two of my friends (twins) clean out their late father's house. He was a spirited collector who seemed to have an interest in virtually everything... It was quite the journey... I wore my fair share of mouse feces, burnt out 3 pairs of shoes, and even pulled a few muscles in the process...

It was well worth it.

And I got to take part in the unearthing of the coolest collection I have ever seen.

I've never been good at accepting gifts, and I always felt as though accepting something for doing a good deed cancels out the good deed.

Yesterday we were invited to a picnic at one of the Twins house... while I apparently wasn't looking they gave these cards to my wife and suggested that she give them to me tommorrow... came home to find a 40&41 play ball on my countertop... Both cards were part of their dads collection and among a grouping that were freshly graded... They will keep my 39 play ball company for years to come...

Nice cards with priceless memories and friendships.

My PM box might be full.

Email:

Want list:
Prewar Pirates items
1909 Pirates
BF2 Wagner

Love the hobby.
Old 09-05-2017, 08:09 PM
M@tt McC@rthy

Quote:

It was well worth it.

Oh my. They wouldn't have given them to you if they didn't want you to have them! Congrats...and enjoy!

I collect Hal Chase, Diamond Stars (PSA 5 or better), 1951 Bowman (Raw Ex or better), 1954 Topps (PSA 7 or better), 1956 Topps (Raw Ex or better), 3x5 Hall of Fame Autographs and autographed Perez Steele Postcards. You can see my collection by going to http://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/BigSix.
Old 09-05-2017, 08:39 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayBShotz View Post
Nice Snyder!

Just curious; wouldn't it make sense that the whole sheet that the Snyder card was originally printed on likely be blank backed?
Anyone have knowledge or insight on this?
RayB
I have owned many many thousands of blank backs including several full sheets, also had many family/friends work for a major card company. Saying that, if one card is blank backed the whole sheet is blank backed. It is possible that a section of the sheet did not get ink for some reason but it would be insanely rare. Blank back sheets, not so much.
Old 09-05-2017, 09:30 PM
Ne@l K

nice pickups fellas!

Always liked this card .... looks pretty self assured as if he was about to have one of the greatest seasons a pitcher has ever had

1968 Gibson.jpg

Successful transactions with Peter Spaeth, Phil Garry, Don Hontz, JStottlemire, maj78, bcbgcbrcb, secondhandwatches, esehobmbre, Leon, Jetsfan, Brian Van Horn, Brian Dwyer, MGHPro, DeanH, canofcorn, Zigger Zagger, conor912, RayBShotz, Jay Wolt, AConte, Halbig Vintage and many others
Old 09-06-2017, 06:40 AM
Dan Be$$e++e

Wow, Dave, those Teds are awesome! I wish I had more of his cards. I loved the write up too. Seems like a good guy did a good deed and they just wanted to show their appreciation. Well done all around!
Old 09-06-2017, 11:31 AM

Great story-telling, David. I am so happy for you. As someone said, they rewarded you with the pair of Ted Williams gems because they are your friends, and you helped with a difficult, and an emotionally straining project that had to be done. I'm rejoicing with you!!!!!

Thanks for sharing with us.

---Brian Powell
Old 09-06-2017, 06:18 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Irv - Great Progress!

Here's a couple of 63T I'm excited about.
Thanks, Ray.

Nice P/U's there yourself!

Quote:

It was well worth it.

Great story!

Thanks for sharing.
Old 09-08-2017, 12:35 PM

One of my favorite baseball cards of all-time.
And a tremendous childhood memory maker.
Welcome The Koos!
RayB
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 69TKoosman9.jpg (78.9 KB, 287 views)
Old 09-08-2017, 01:10 PM
Todd

Default Foster (for) The People...

A minor addition to the rookie collection...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg foster853.jpg (78.2 KB, 287 views)
Old 09-08-2017, 01:48 PM
Jason A. Schwartz

It's been a week since I took a look here. I just LOVE what I see.

The Ted Williams cards with the story attached feels like what collecting is all about. Yeah, some guys make money off cardboard also, but what separates cards from gold or pork belly futures are the memories. So many of our cards tell stories, whether of the player's real or embellished feats from our youth, of the quirky way we acquired the card, or--maybe these days--the thrill of getting back a particular grade. Add a 1954 Bowman to those three Teds and you can retire from Williams collecting--what a great grouping!

The Koosman was really a beautiful card as well. Would look nice next to a 1969 Nolan Ryan. I love the color in both. And for that matter, why not throw in a 1968 Ryan/Koosman!

But what really made me happy was seeing the George Foster RC posted above. Whatever the final stat lines and Cooperstown voting were, there were no bigger giants on the diamond when I was a kid than George Foster, Steve Garvey, and Dave Parker. That none of the three made the Hall does little to diminish the memories.

Collecting interests and want lists at https://jasoncards.wordpress.com/201...nd-want-lists/
Old 09-08-2017, 01:54 PM
Jason A. Schwartz

I've been in a cardboard drought since nabbing the 1936 Hartnett, but I was thrilled to add this Hank Aaron "rookie" bobblehead to my Hank display. This was released only this past week to Braves "A-List" season ticket holders only, with a total of 1512 produced.

Still hoping to post actual cardboard again soon, but my want list is pretty much down to Ruth/Gehrig, which makes it really tough!

21369157_10154972447232916_3235756236979665439_n.jpg

Collecting interests and want lists at https://jasoncards.wordpress.com/201...nd-want-lists/
Old 09-08-2017, 02:20 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Quote:
Welcome The Koos!
RayB
That's so bizarre seeing Koos wearing number 47 and not his renown number 36.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 09-08-2017, 07:12 PM
Ch.ris Jenk.ins

Quote:
Welcome The Koos!
RayB
Nice card... Think mine can land a 9 like yours? It's in my stack to send to PSA.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1969 Jerry Koosman_090.jpg (78.4 KB, 264 views)
File Type: jpg 1969 Jerry Koosman_back090.jpg (79.3 KB, 266 views)
Old 09-08-2017, 09:12 PM
Patrick N.

Default No

No, that Raw Koos is no higher than a 7 due to touched corners and centering
Old 09-09-2017, 12:53 AM
Ch.ris Jenk.ins

Quote:
Originally Posted by mintacular View Post
No, that Raw Koos is no higher than a 7 due to touched corners and centering
Actually the centering qualifies for a 9... it looks off more than it is, but it is basically 60/40. No argument on the corners, though the touches are light and harder to see even with a magnifying glass than on that scan.
Old 09-09-2017, 12:56 AM
Ch.ris Jenk.ins

This might be my favorite pickup from the Sterling Sports Auction.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Carter_PSA_8.5.jpg (81.1 KB, 343 views)
Old 09-09-2017, 06:19 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenx34 View Post
This might be my favorite pickup from the Sterling Sports Auction.
Nice card! I was looking at the sales and wondered if anyone from here won that card?

Congrats.
Old 09-09-2017, 08:26 AM
Ch.ris Jenk.ins

I had a pretty nice night, I thought. Missed out on a '75 PSA 8 Thurman Munson and '55 PSA 6 Jackie Robinson, but picked up these cards...

1959 Topps #478 Bob Clemente PSA 6
1967 Topps #400 Bob Clemente PSA 7
1968 Topps #247 Johnny Bench PSA 6 *Rookie*
1975 Topps #30 Blyleven PSA 8 & #320 Rose PSA 7, Lot of (2)
1975 Topps #70 Mike Schmidt PSA 8
1975 Topps #223 Robin Yount PSA 7 *Rookie*
1975 Topps #620 Gary Carter PSA 8.5 *Rookie*
1975 Topps #640 Harmon Killebrew PSA 8
1975 Topps #660 Hank Aaron PSA 7

I thought I got good deals on the Clemente's and Bench. May have overpaid for the Schmidt, but I am building a nice '75 set and any PSA 8's can't hurt. I have the full set now and plan to send several cards to PSA (may have a 10 or 2, but should have a fair amount of 9's and lots of 8's. Trying to make it as high grade as I can without getting stupid. I'll sell doubles once I determine which ones to keep. May actually pull the trigger on 2 or 3 "high grade" sets this coming week. Will take a lot of work to meld all into one "master" set, but I love '75's so what the hell.
Old 09-09-2017, 10:52 AM
Todd

Default An Upgrade...

Glad the Foster rookie brought a smile to your face, Jason!

Here is an upgrade that arrived today...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ozzie8863.jpg (81.0 KB, 322 views)
Old 09-10-2017, 07:20 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Cool to get one from Gary Carter's Collection:

1955 Topps #200- Jackie Jensen SGC-84 NM - Gary Carter Collection.jpg

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 09-10-2017, 10:09 PM
Dan Be$$e++e

Love Jack jensen
Old 09-11-2017, 12:28 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

That is the second blank-back 63 Snider I've seen.

Another piece towards this very, very tough (in nice shape) issue:

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 09-11-2017, 03:18 PM
M@tt McC@rthy

Grabbed my seventh '52 Topps and 3rd Brownie...

I collect Hal Chase, Diamond Stars (PSA 5 or better), 1951 Bowman (Raw Ex or better), 1954 Topps (PSA 7 or better), 1956 Topps (Raw Ex or better), 3x5 Hall of Fame Autographs and autographed Perez Steele Postcards. You can see my collection by going to http://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/BigSix.
Old 09-11-2017, 05:01 PM
Kev1n @1les

Quote:
But what really made me happy was seeing the George Foster RC posted above. Whatever the final stat lines and Cooperstown voting were, there were no bigger giants on the diamond when I was a kid than George Foster, Steve Garvey, and Dave Parker. That none of the three made the Hall does little to diminish the memories.
We must be about the same age. Parker, Foster, and Garvey were the gods of the game from about '77 to '81 - right when I started following baseball and collecting. I still remember Parker's throw to home in the all-star game. I did not think it a possibility that Garvey would not be inducted to the HOF with his consecutive game streak, MVP season and year after year all-star notation on his card. As a Reds fan growing up, the '78 of foster with his 52 homers on the back of the card was one of my early prized possessions. It is crazy to think that none of them went and I think they (especially Parker & Garvey) were part of a forgotten generation where their stats were strong against their peers at the time but did not stack up against other eras. I also think that the 3-4 years that Parker gave away to his drug use in the early '80s probably cost him 100 homers and 700 hits that would have put him in easily.

53-55 Red Mans Complete Set
Old 09-15-2017, 08:28 PM
D@le Irv*n

Another one for my 52 Topps collection. For it not being a very expensive/rare card it sure was difficult to land one!

John Sherman “Sherm” Lollar (1924-1977) developed into an excellent backstop in the Chicago White Sox organization and won the very first Rawlings Gold Glove for catchers, but also succeeded at the plate striking out fewer times than walking in each of his 15 seasons after becoming an everyday starter (1949-1963). The Cleveland Indians signed Lollar in 1943 and he debuted in 1946, but played much of his first six seasons platooning at catcher with Hall of Famer Yogi Berra and All-Star Jim Hegan, among others. Lollar led the Major Leagues four times in fielding percentage at his position and is the third player in history to register two hits in one inning twice in the same game. Sherm was considered a “dangerous hitter with power” and he had his best season in 1959 when he batted .265 with 22 home runs and 84 RBI as he led the White Sox to the American league pennant. He was a member of the 1947 World Series champion New York Yankees, but lost the 1959 World Series as the “Go-Go White Sox” fell to the Los Angeles Dodgers. The seven-time All-Star and three-time Gold Glove winner posted a .992 career fielding percentage with a 47% caught stealing percentage. In 1954, Lollar led the American League with a 68% caught stealing percentage. Sherm Lollar finished his career with a .264 career batting average, 1,415 hits including 244 doubles and 144 home runs, 623 runs and 808 RBI over 18 seasons. He played for the Indians (1946), the New York Yankees (1947-1948), the St. Louis Browns (1950-1951) and the White Sox (1952-1963). Following his playing days, he joined the Baltimore Orioles coaching staff and won another World Series in 1966.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sherman Lollar.jpg (74.3 KB, 333 views)
Old 09-18-2017, 12:05 PM
Kris

This weekend I stopped off to pick up a collection from one of my college friends. He said he did not want his cards anymore and his kids were not at all interested. Part of his collection was handed down from his dad who started collecting in the late 40s.

Included was a 48 Leaf Jackie Robinson! which I was very excited to see. As you can see it is inked up. My friend said his dad wrote on some of them to indicated their team. "BD" for Brooklyn Dodgers. My guess is it would be 3ish without the ink. I am very happy to have this as part of the permanent collection and to save it from the dust bin.

Any advice for grading?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Jackie 1.jpg (9.8 KB, 288 views)
File Type: jpg Jackie 2.jpg (14.1 KB, 287 views)

Last edited by Puckettfan; 09-18-2017 at 12:07 PM.
Old 09-19-2017, 06:57 AM

Default Upgrade and Additions To Snider Stack O' Stuff

...Upgraded the '54 and added a kinda faded '58 and a 1952 Star-Cal Decal.....at one point 'way earlier in my unfocused collecting career I thought :" Hey ! it would be neat to get all the Brooklyn Dodgers cards of every Brooklyn Dodger who had ever hit a grand slam home run in Ebbet's Field ; maybe twenty years ago, when cards were cheap.....I did some financial calculations , picked myself up off the floor , and went out and bought a new Buick Park Avenue Ultra instead.....I love this hobby....

Old 09-19-2017, 07:31 AM
Larry More.y

Quote:
Originally Posted by irv View Post
Another one for my 52 Topps collection. For it not being a very expensive/rare card it sure was difficult to land one!
Nice p/u Irv, keep them coming. Not much for me this month, here is my most recent addition
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 52 319.jpg (70.7 KB, 258 views)
Old 09-19-2017, 07:47 AM
Ne@l K

Nice pickups!
I have been working on a HOF player set and decided on this Mathews as I go back and forth on a type set

1955 Bill and Bob PC

55bbmathews.jpg

I am probably going to submit this to PSA and am guessing a 3 or 4 would be the grade. Corner have some wear, but no creasing or wrinkles

Successful transactions with Peter Spaeth, Phil Garry, Don Hontz, JStottlemire, maj78, bcbgcbrcb, secondhandwatches, esehobmbre, Leon, Jetsfan, Brian Van Horn, Brian Dwyer, MGHPro, DeanH, canofcorn, Zigger Zagger, conor912, RayBShotz, Jay Wolt, AConte, Halbig Vintage and many others
Old 09-19-2017, 05:36 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by savedfrommyspokes View Post
Nice p/u Irv, keep them coming. Not much for me this month, here is my most recent addition
Thanks, SFMS.

That is a nice P/U yourself. Glad to see you are picking away at your high numbers now.
Your 5's are usually exceptional, and your Al Walker, again, proves that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal View Post
Nice pickups!
I have been working on a HOF player set and decided on this Mathews as I go back and forth on a type set

1955 Bill and Bob PC

Attachment 288204

I am probably going to submit this to PSA and am guessing a 3 or 4 would be the grade. Corner have some wear, but no creasing or wrinkles
Great card, Neal.
Old 09-19-2017, 05:44 PM

Agreed on that Mathews. Not sure I had seen that card before.
Eddie should look great when he gets his new suit of plastic.
Congrats Neal.
Old 09-20-2017, 08:39 AM
Abe Kulynych

Great Matthew Neal! I love the regionals and postcards.

I've admired this Rose for a long time, finally picked one up last week
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1968 Partridge Meats Pete Rose PSA 6.jpg (75.8 KB, 201 views)
Old 09-20-2017, 11:49 AM

I echo the comments of the others on the Eddie Matthews. Neal, simply perfect.

Congrats, Abe, on the swell Pete Rose. A very tough to find item.

I am a fellow fan of the immediate post-war regionals. In the spring of 2016, I released a 478-page book devoted to them. Entitled NEVER CHEAPER BY THE DOZEN, I believe you will find lots to learn, enjoy and savor about the original chase cards. Now, it's an E-book on a CD, but it's very easy to read on your computer or laptop, when you insert the disc into the disc drive.

If you wish to read the press release, GOOGLE the title. It will appear; just click on it.

Regardless of whether you choose to investigate and buy my book, sincerest of congrats again. Having collected since 1961, I know from many personal experiences what it means to hunt down a regional you would then consider a prized piece of your collection.

--- Brian Powell
Old 09-20-2017, 12:22 PM
Ne@l K

Thx for the comments fellas!
Sweet Rose Abe!

Old 09-21-2017, 11:11 AM
Dan Be$$e++e

Bought this in a small lot:

Old 09-21-2017, 05:53 PM
Andrew Hunt00n

Adam,

Are you going for the 10 SP's as well? That would be a very, very tough issue indeed.

AndyH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
That is the second blank-back 63 Snider I've seen.

Another piece towards this very, very tough (in nice shape) issue:

The Great T206 Back Stamp Project: Click Here
My Online Trading Site: Click Here
Member of OBC (Old Baseball Cards), the longest running on-line collecting club www.oldbaseball.com
My Humble Blog: Click Here
Old 09-22-2017, 05:40 PM
J.O.N

Finished this fun little set today.

My PM box might be full.

Email:

Want list:
Prewar Pirates items
1909 Pirates
BF2 Wagner

Love the hobby.
Old 09-23-2017, 11:34 AM

Old 09-23-2017, 12:24 PM
Abe Kulynych

Picked this up at the Valley Forge show last night
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1972 Frank Robinson Puerto Rican sticker PSA 5.jpg (39.8 KB, 235 views)
Old 09-23-2017, 03:20 PM
Banned

Nice stash Frank!
Old 09-24-2017, 06:26 AM

Abe - Great Pick up on the F Robby!
Old 09-24-2017, 06:56 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Bought this collection:
http://www.blowoutforums.com/showthr...hlight=vintage

Some are going to PSA. Some I put up for sale in the BST section, and some I'm keeping for personal collection ('52s and GT player Charlie Bishop). The Lefty Grove was a Super Short Print 1/1 lipstick kiss on back. The 1963 Veale has the two streaks in sky print defect over his head. I saw it mentioned in the variations thread; has it been checklisted anywhere? The 1970 Topps High Numbers were pretty sharp, but the Santo and Red Rookies are OC.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 09-25-2017, 05:12 PM

I picked up two HOF cards from the 1933 Goudey Set.

Rabbit Marranville

Earl Averill

Last edited by Chuck9788; 09-25-2017 at 05:13 PM.