NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-07-2018, 07:23 PM
Anson

Default Angry buyer over choice of shipping method

Just curious to hear opinions on a recent transaction I had. A buyer has contacted me twice, angry that I decided to ship FedEx ground with signature confirmation and insurance. In fairness, I listed FedEx ground as the shipping method but didn't include the other two bits. I only charged $3 for shipping and the total ended up being over $12.

He's upset that it's taking 8 days to arrive and that he has to take off work to sign for the shipment (roughly $100 value). I explained that I don't sell a lot and took a bath on the shipping cost. Now I'm at risk of getting crappy feedback.

Is his issue legit?
Old 08-07-2018, 07:25 PM
D3nn!s B@!!ou

Can't he sign the sticky receipt thing and leave it on the door for FedEx?
Old 08-07-2018, 07:29 PM
Peter Spaeth

For me USPS is far and away the best option and I typically won't do signature required for anything under $500. Not a huge deal though the guy should just chill and move on.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 08-07-2018 at 07:29 PM.
Old 08-07-2018, 07:32 PM
Mich@el K. Tr0tnic

Often on the buyers end, through Fedex website, that package can be redirected to a local FedEx retail location and he can get at his convenience.
Old 08-07-2018, 07:33 PM
Ben North

For a $100 item I would also be pissed if I had to sign for it. I wouldn't leave a negative though.
Old 08-07-2018, 07:58 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Yes, he can call FedEx and redirect the package to his nearest "FedEx Office" location. It will add a couple days of transit time to the mix, but at least he won't need to miss a day's work to be physically present, and can sign for it + pick it up at his convenience.

I also agree that regular US Mail is by far the best for these types of shipments. FedEx is next, and UPS is a distant 3rd. With UPS you have to labor through their 3 futile yet mandatory delivery attempts, after which you'll have to drive forever to their nearest warehouse. And when you finally have it in-hand, it is most likely beaten to hell.

Last edited by perezfan; 08-07-2018 at 08:05 PM.
Old 08-07-2018, 08:07 PM

You really should ask people before you ship Fed Ex. For me I have to have someone wait at the house all day and hope the driver can find my house. Otherwise, I have to drive 1 1/2 round trip to pick up the item. They don't have the number of locations that UPS has. Their drivers are independent contractors and can deliver the item or not. They have fewer deliveries and have to cover more area and often are not familiar with the area they are delivering to. I too would be pissed if someone did that with a 100.00 card. Send USPS insured with signature confirmation or UPS.
Old 08-07-2018, 08:40 PM
J3ff Thr0m

Default Walgreens

As soon as an auction house sends the FedEx number and it shows in transit, I have them redirect it to the Walgreens by my house. Very easy.....
Old 08-07-2018, 08:47 PM
je.sse @rnot

You also have the option to pick it up at your local fed ex office if you can't be home for delivery. $100 is a little low to require a signature, but you're just trying to protect yourself. Guys like your customer are why I dont like selling cards on my own. Especially lower value cards. Too much of a hassle. I would tell him to refuse delivery and cancel the transaction.
Old 08-07-2018, 08:51 PM
Ben Silva
Ben Sil.va

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruth-gehrig View Post
Often on the buyers end, through Fedex website, that package can be redirected to a local FedEx retail location and he can get at his convenience.
Yup, the buyer is a choad. FedEx is the best since you can have them deliver to Walgreens, your local grocery store, etc, and then pick up whenever. I divert mine too the Walgreens that's open late so I can go grab them after my day is done.
Old 08-07-2018, 09:00 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 View Post
You also have the option to pick it up at your local fed ex office if you can't be home for delivery. $100 is a little low to require a signature, but you're just trying to protect yourself. Guys like your customer are why I dont like selling cards on my own. Especially lower value cards. Too much of a hassle. I would tell him to refuse delivery and cancel the transaction.
That would be great IF you have a local Fed Ex location. My closest Fed Ex is 90 miles away. IMHO the seller caused the problem by adding the signature without advertising it on such a low priced card.
Old 08-07-2018, 09:13 PM
St3phen M@rchillo

I bought 200 card savers (yes 1 box) that had to be signed for via FedEx. Lucky for me, mine is 15 minutes away and was just an annoying inconvenience. That being said I didn’t say anything to the seller and wouldn’t leave a neg. but if it were 90 minutes away I’d be really annoyed.
Old 08-07-2018, 09:21 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Default Signature Confirmation with Fedex

A recent Fedex delivery rattled my front door loudly. I was home and immediately went out to investigate. The package had been thrown at the front door. The driver was just getting in the truck and pulled away before I could complain.

I guess he was just running late and yes I do have a doorbell. I wonder whose signature he used.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 08-07-2018, 09:27 PM
€dw@rd Sk€Łt0n

Besides picking up at a FedEx location, you can pickup at Kroger, Albertsons, or Walgreens. Use the redirect and hold tool. Works great for me.

Collecting PCL, Southern Association, and type cards.
http://hangingjudgesports.com
Old 08-07-2018, 09:31 PM
Mich@el K. Tr0tnic

And I was told by FedEx that "direct signature" doesn't really exist because anyone at that address can sign for it. I had always previously thought direct signature was for a specific person.

Frank you should check online with the delivery confirmation number and see who "signed" for it. I had a consignment sent to an auction house with direct signature required which was signed for by someone else. I panicked thinking it was delivered to wrong address. Luckily auction house quickly relieved my anxiety
Old 08-07-2018, 09:32 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
That would be great IF you have a local Fed Ex location. My closest Fed Ex is 90 miles away. IMHO the seller caused the problem by adding the signature without advertising it on such a low priced card.
I hadn't thought of that. However if you live in the sticks and a seller has listed fedex as their shipping method I feel it's on the buyer to say they would prefer USPS.
Old 08-07-2018, 09:34 PM
Luke Lyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
For me USPS is far and away the best option and I typically won't do signature required for anything under $500. Not a huge deal though the guy should just chill and move on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
For a $100 item I would also be pissed if I had to sign for it. I wouldn't leave a negative though.
I agree with both of these, and with Jeff. Though I realize I'm lucky to have a pickup spot so close to my house.
Old 08-07-2018, 10:15 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
Yes, he can call FedEx and redirect the package to his nearest "FedEx Office" location. It will add a couple days of transit time to the mix, but at least he won't need to miss a day's work to be physically present, and can sign for it + pick it up at his convenience.

I also agree that regular US Mail is by far the best for these types of shipments. FedEx is next, and UPS is a distant 3rd. With UPS you have to labor through their 3 futile yet mandatory delivery attempts, after which you'll have to drive forever to their nearest warehouse. And when you finally have it in-hand, it is most likely beaten to hell.
In my area there generally isn't any additional wait if I change the delivery location. Once I had to leave the day a Fedex package was to arrive and I just got online and changed the location to a nearby Walgreens and they had it there by 3:00pm the same day, and I only had to walk a few blocks.

UPS now delivers to a nearby locker facility if I miss the delivery. I don't even get the option of making that long slog out to the warehouse.

If someone ships USPS with signature required, it's the worst of the three - If I miss delivery I have to go to my local post office which is about ten miles away and it isn't there until the next morning. In addition, the line is always horrible and they frequently say that it isn't there, which requires that I get a manager and prove that it's there somewhere - they always eventually find the package, but it's a postal mentality.

Given that it's 2018, I don't see why each of the three can't figure out a way to give their customers an accurate and small delivery window.
Old 08-08-2018, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 View Post
I hadn't thought of that. However if you live in the sticks and a seller has listed fedex as their shipping method I feel it's on the buyer to say they would prefer USPS.
I live in a town of 33k. I wouldn't exactly call that the sticks. We have UPS and quite a few drivers/routes. Fed Ex just doesn't have enough business. They have 1 driver servicing multiple cities. My irritation is the driver turnover and drivers that can't find an address in the middle of a city with today's technology. I have had the same UPS driver for 25 years.
Old 08-08-2018, 07:31 AM
Br.ent So.bie

As a Canadian, anything bought from the US that is sent FedEx or UPS faces additional charges for crossing the border, fees that are NEVER incurred if the item is shipped USPS.
Additionally, I used to live in a city of just under a million people, and the pick-up locations for both couriers were at least a half hour drive. The packages also never arrived without some damage or wear-and-tear. So I learnt my lesson... any seller that insists on using those couriers.... I refuse to do business with.
Old 08-08-2018, 07:32 AM
Steve

Default Transaction

I wouldn't worry about requiring a signature on a $100 item. It's not unreasonable since there are so many ways to redirect packages. However, it's probably best practice to provide multiple shipping options.