NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 07-26-2016, 04:06 PM
K&v!/\/ R@g$d@/3

Default New Hall of Fame Voting Rules

According to MLB a new Veterans Committee voting format is being instituted this year. The real kicker is that the committee to vote on the newly established era of 1871 to 1949 eligibles will meet only once every 10 years.
This to me makes the buying and speculation business more interesting. Granted I purchased many autographs 8-15 years before the players were eventually inducted but I had at least a shot every year of somebody I speculated on getting into the HOFor every 3 years in the past rotation,
Just interested if this will affect any of you advanced HOF autgraph collectors like myself and ultimately change your speculation philosophy or buying habits. It also could be argued that it will give collectors more time to search and acquire the harder to find HoFers since there will be alot more time between elections of the rarer guys getting in.
i also wonder if it will discourage any more collectors from trying to get into the 280-290s like I did.
Any comments?
Old 07-26-2016, 06:33 PM
Fra.nk Rein.stein

Thanks for bringing this up. I think a lot of it still has to do with who sits on the committee. If Bert Blyleven, who did his research on Wikipedia, and Joe Morgan, who thinks no-one should ever get in again if he had his way, their will still be a challenge to get veterans in. I personally think the people that will get the most benefit are the managers/umps/execs of the baseball world whom never had a chance with the BBWA.

I also believe that prices will fall on the Bill Dahlens and Jack Glasscocks of the world, as collectors will not have the patience to sit and wait for their autographs to receive a HOF spike.

Interesting to read also that Negro League players will be eligible again also.

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by tazdmb; 07-26-2016 at 06:40 PM.
Old 07-26-2016, 07:54 PM
Wayne Walker

First step towards PED guys getting in. I already have all of them, though, so this doesn't change much in my HOF auto collecting.

http://s236.photobucket.com/albums/f...NFT/?start=all
Old 07-27-2016, 10:28 AM
Vincent Hecksel

My thoughts as a humble collector of baseball autographs. If first vote under the new rules occurs this year, given my age, I will likely only witness three such votes over the next 21 years. Doubt that I will still be collecting by the time that third vote occurs.

Also wonder if it more likely that a larger group (5-10 ?) of Veteran picks get elected each session, or will it be 1-3 new electees per session ?

One given; individual player and team stats will certainly not change for those from the period of 1871 to 1949. So what will be different during the next 20+ years to get ballplayers from those years elected, that is not present now ?

Personally, over the past 10 years or so, I too have put autographs of some “potentially” HOF qualified baseball-related individuals away. But I am not holding my breath that any of the, get elected, as I figured they would have been elected into the Hall of Fame by now any ways.

That said, I think collecting themes likely to continue to hold strong collector demand include baseball Hall of Fame members, and possibly World Series championship teams. Unfortunately, I get the impression that team-specific collectors, such as myself, are a dying breed.

Last edited by HexsHeroes; 07-27-2016 at 10:29 AM.
Old 07-27-2016, 10:42 AM

Here are the rules

Four separate electorates considered by era will create a single composite ballot of managers, umpires, executives and long-retired players on rotating basis, with the Today's Game Committee candidates to be considered at the 2016 Winter Meetings for induction in 2017 and again at the 2018 Winter Meetings for induction in 2019; the Modern Baseball Committee candidates to be considered at the 2017 Winter Meetings for induction in 2018 and again at the 2019 Winter Meetings for induction in 2020; and the Golden Days and Early Baseball committees candidates to be considered at the 2020 Winter Meetings for induction in 2021. The cycle then repeats with the Today's Game and Modern Baseball committees each meeting twice every five years, the Golden Days Committee meeting once every five years and the Early Baseball Committee meeting once every 10 years

Today's Game (1988-2016)

Modern Baseball (1970-1987)

Golden Days (1950-1969)

Early Baseball (1871-1949)

My guess if Golden Days and Early Baseball players do not make the Hall in 2020 then they will never make it.
Old 07-27-2016, 05:40 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

What do the time frames (in parenthesis) mean?

Can you please clarify...

Is it the time frame in which the bulk of player's career occurred?

Is it the time frame in which the player started his career?

Is it the time frame in which the player retired?

A player (like Nolan Ryan, for example) could fall into the "Golden era" "Modern era" or "Today's Game", unless those dates are clarified.

And how would they classify a player who's contributions transcend his playing days (such as Lefty O'Doul, Gil Hodges and the like...)

Thanks in advance for clarifying,
Mark

Last edited by perezfan; 07-27-2016 at 05:49 PM.
Old 07-28-2016, 07:51 AM
d.ean

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazdmb View Post
Thanks for bringing this up. I think a lot of it still has to do with who sits on the committee. If Bert Blyleven, who did his research on Wikipedia, and Joe Morgan, who thinks no-one should ever get in again if he had his way, their will still be a challenge to get veterans in. I personally think the people that will get the most benefit are the managers/umps/execs of the baseball world whom never had a chance with the BBWA.

I also believe that prices will fall on the Bill Dahlens and Jack Glasscocks of the world, as collectors will not have the patience to sit and wait for their autographs to receive a HOF spike.

Interesting to read also that Negro League players will be eligible again also.

Just my 2 cents.
LOL! You are spot on with Morgan! Morgan seems to think that any talent in baseball died the day he retired. Future hof induction wise, there are a few years were someone being voted in by the BBWAA is questionable.

http://baseballhall.org/hall-of-fame...2017-eligibles

The hall wants to ensure that a repeat of 2013 when no one was elected never happens again. Paragraph number 13 of this story reinforces the HOF thinking: http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/88...l-fame-writers

I hate to use the word rare, but I don't know how often that an inductee mentions a player who they feel should be in the hall in their induction speech. Sandberg mentioned Santo. Maddux and Glavine mentioned Smoltz. This year Griffey mentioned Edgar Martinez.

The Gil Hodges voting percentages are interesting. http://joeposnanski.com/the-hall-of-fame-percentage/
Old 07-28-2016, 09:08 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

In 2000, Perez mentioned Minoso, Tiant and Oliva...none of whom appear to have much chance.
Old 07-28-2016, 09:09 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Can someone clarify how the time-frames are applied?
Old 07-28-2016, 10:20 AM
d.ean

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
Can someone clarify how the time-frames are applied?
http://baseballhall.org/hall-of-fame/eras-committees

There is a cut-and-paste error for the Early Baseball era which the hall has yet to catch.