NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Football Cards Forum

Old 02-12-2015, 09:45 AM
John

Awesome! Thanks Jeff. Very nice items. And thanks for providing some additional info on Latone.

Its so interesting the difference between remembered and forgotten sometimes. Could it also be because Nevers overshadowed Latone? Sometimes with all-decade or anniversary teams, etc., maybe the energy isn't spent to look at another fullback from 90 years ago. Not saying its right. I'm glad he's mentioned here. Its definitely an aspect of collecting I enjoy to remember some of these forgotten players and try to bring up their names when I can - he'd have my HOF vote.

Question - I'm always looking for a Chicle connection - is George Kenneally in the Bulldogs team photo?

Finally, didn't want to hijack the thread - I'd love to see more of the star player candy set.
Old 02-12-2015, 12:55 PM
Jeff P

Quote:
Originally Posted by DezHood View Post
Awesome! Thanks Jeff. Very nice items. And thanks for providing some additional info on Latone.

Its so interesting the difference between remembered and forgotten sometimes. Could it also be because Nevers overshadowed Latone? Sometimes with all-decade or anniversary teams, etc., maybe the energy isn't spent to look at another fullback from 90 years ago. Not saying its right. I'm glad he's mentioned here. Its definitely an aspect of collecting I enjoy to remember some of these forgotten players and try to bring up their names when I can - he'd have my HOF vote.

Question - I'm always looking for a Chicle connection - is George Kenneally in the Bulldogs team photo?

Finally, didn't want to hijack the thread - I'd love to see more of the star player candy set.
I could go all day on Pottsville perhaps a separate thread on the Maroons (and other related teams from Pottsville!) would be good at some point.

Kenneally is holding the football in the Bulldogs picture. He is also second from the right kneeling down in the reunion picture.

I have a copy of the agreement Kenneally and other players signed with Doc Striegel to "own" the team for a year and then have the right to purchase it outright (if I remember correctly). I'll have to find it to see exactly what the terms were.

jeff
Old 02-12-2015, 02:24 PM
John

Thanks Jeff. Happy to learn Kenneally is in those photos although I believe he missed playing on the famous 25 team by one year. Definitely agree on getting a Maroons thread going at some point.
Old 02-13-2015, 03:13 PM
Jeff P

Quote:
Originally Posted by DezHood View Post
Carl or others are gonna have to show you the other Stars in the set. The rest of the ones I have are commons.

I can show some of the stars in the other set Carl showed in a pile: Packers Walkers Cleaners. Some of these players have no other cardboard images so they are pretty cool!

Packers Walkers Cleaners were premium photos of the Green Bay Packers to commemorate their three consecutive NFL Championships from 1929 - 1931. The marketing information says they were distributed by Walkers Cleaners in Green Bay Wisconsin and that if you collected the entire set of 27, they would give you an album to put them in. There are so few singles available as compared to complete sets that some believe the were only distributed as complete sets in the end.

Here is what the front cover of the album looks like:

As distributed, these premiums had a white tab attached to the upper left corner that introduces the player and the set. They also have hole punches on the left side so they can be put in the album.

Some collectors removed the white tabs so you could see the entire picture. Premiums without tabs are worth significantly less (50%-60% of full value).

I have most of the premiums but quite a few are trimmed down to the size of a picture and look like they were once taped up to a wall by a collector. Here are some of the stars:

Arnie Herber played for his hometown Green Bay Packers for 11 seasons, winning four NFL Championships and being selected first or second team All-Pro 3 times. He led the league in passing several times and, along with Don Hutson, rewrote the NFL passing record book before retiring. Besides being in the PWC set, Herber is depicted on a 1933 Diamond Matchbook cover. He is a member of the 1930s All-Decade Team and was elected to the Pro Football HOF in 1966.

Cal Hubbard also has a 1933 Diamond Matchbook. He is best known as the only player inducted into both the Pro Football and Baseball Hall of Fame's. Hubbard is also in the College Football Hall of Fame, a member of the 1920s All-Decade Team, NFL's 50th Anniversary Team, NFL's 75th Anniversary Team.

Johnny "Blood" McNally was quite a character. His off field antics are legendary while playing RB in the NFL from 1925 until 1938 before turning to coaching. He is also depicted on a 1934 Diamond Matchbook cover. Johnny Blood, as he often went by, is a member of the 1930s All-Decade Team and was elected to the Pro Football HOF in 1963. He is also know for scoring the last touchdown in franchise history for the Pottsville Maroons.

Mike Michalske was an All-American Fullback at Penn State before playing in the AFL and then NFL for the New York Football Yankees and Green Bay Packers. He convinced Lambeau to move him to the line and became the first guard elected to the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 1964. Michalske was a 6x All-Pro and won three consecutive NFL Championships with the Packers in 1929, 1930, 1931.

jeff

Last edited by jefferyepayne; 02-13-2015 at 04:31 PM.
Old 02-13-2015, 04:15 PM
MikeHealer

Jeff, those are great. I remember back in the early 70's as a kid, my brother and I used to read about the early days of the NFL and our 2 favorite players from the early years were Bronko Nagurski and Johnny "Blood" Mcnally. Thanks for posting.

Mike