NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 05-03-2010, 01:04 PM
Sean Brennan

Default pre world war 2 baseball action figures

I have this dream of creating a line of baseball action figures. Unfortunately lack of sculpting and sewing skills keep me from making this happen. Anyways here is my idea:
Pre ww2 baseball action figures (hal chase, bobby Wallace, riggs Stephenson, etc.)
built like the old six inch GI Joe guys with movable limbs.
Have real wool uniforms.
Removable hats gloves bats etc.
Comes with a little reprint card (or better yet a miniature unopened box or pack that you can open and get a surprise card like a little sweet caporal box or cracker jack or unopened 1933 goudey pack.
Could have little stadiums that are sold at a premium.
I know mcfarland has made a few but I'm not crazy about them. Too much statue and not enough playability.
Of course this is a small market so the number produced and price per could be an issue.
Just seeing if I'm the only dork here into this. Looking for any and all feedback.
Old 05-03-2010, 01:08 PM
Sean Brennan

Could also sell little stands for the action figure that would have a sleeve to display a vintage card. Would be a neat way to show off an old card.
Old 05-03-2010, 01:59 PM
M@rk V3l@rd3

Sean,
Cool idea.
Would the Chase come with the retractable arm that moves away when a ball is rolled at it? Perhaps a two pack with the rare companion gambler figure?
How about Cobb with detachable flying spikes?

Mark

Other interests/sets/collectibles.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/96571220@N08/albums

My for sale or trade photobucket album
https://flic.kr/s/aHsk7c1SRL

Last edited by Lordstan; 05-03-2010 at 02:11 PM.
Old 05-03-2010, 02:48 PM
Sean Brennan

Mark
Love the retractable arm idea for chase! He could also come with a wallet full of money and a pool cue too! Also he could have the trophy from his t206 card too!
The sharpened spikes could be an accessory for players like kid elberfield and Joe medwick as well!
Mike donlin could have a tuxedo because he's going to a Broadway show.
Rube waddell could have little windup toys to keep him amused.
Ok how can we mke this happen?
Old 05-03-2010, 02:50 PM
Sean Brennan

Maybe graig knows some sculptors?
Old 05-05-2010, 09:34 AM
Sean Brennan

Ouch this topic went over like the hindenburg.
Old 05-05-2010, 10:54 AM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkit1 View Post
Ouch this topic went over like the hindenburg.
Well, it's already been done. Kenner in the 1990s made baseball dolls in the old GI Joe 12" style and you can find them on ebay or at flea markets for less than the original retail price. Kids won't play with them, because...well they're dressed as baseball players and not superheroes or monsters....adult men won't collect them because they're dolls.
Old 05-05-2010, 12:31 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidekellyslide View Post
Well, it's already been done. Kenner in the 1990s made baseball dolls in the old GI Joe 12" style and you can find them on ebay or at flea markets for less than the original retail price. Kids won't play with them, because...well they're dressed as baseball players and not superheroes or monsters....adult men won't collect them because they're dolls.
Even as an enthusiastic collector of Baseball Figurals, I agree with Dan... everything but the "Dolls" comment, that is! I can't come to call my beloved Hartlands "dolls"... they are statues or action figures! I do have one true doll in my collection... that Jackie Robinson childlike thing you see every so often. So some men DO collect dolls, I suppose.

Anyway, your idea is a tough concept... as Dan said, kids won't care about pre-war baseball players, and adults are more focused on the vintage (not modern) stuff. I don't know anyone who collects those new Hartlands, and the Starting Lineups are just so cheap looking and unattractive. Truly vintage figures carry lots of allure, but anything made currently is basically cheap looking garbage (except for some of the Danbury Mint stuff... they do have some very nicely done pieces if you're willing to lay out the cash).
Old 05-05-2010, 01:28 PM
Sean Brennan

I disagree.

First off the original starting Lineup guys aren't all valuable but some have maintained value. I know because I can't get an 88 Utah jazz teamset for $25. The starting lineups (just like the macfarlane guys) had to be successful because they did them for years.
Secondly regarding market I covered that. I'm not talking mass distribution. I'm talking just enough to sell on websites like here it eBay. If done well I think they would have appeal even if somewhat small. If someone created the entire 1908 cubs at a reasonable price and looked good I'd buy them for sure.
Old 05-05-2010, 01:54 PM
Dan Bretta

I wasn't really talking about the 4" Starting Lineup figures...I was talking about the dolls that Kenner made under the Starting Lineup brand. They didn't sell well at all and you can find them very cheap now.

These things: http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_npm...tarting+lineup

I don't even consider the Hartlands to be dolls...they are statues. I don't don't disparage doll collectors either...in fact my mother makes them in a folk art style for me on a regular basis.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg baseballdolls 002.jpg (73.6 KB, 135 views)
Old 05-05-2010, 01:54 PM
Mike Rich@rds0n

mark me down for a 1919 blacksox team
Old 05-05-2010, 02:51 PM
Sean Brennan

Neat! Maybe your mother could help with the uniform knitting in these guys. Wish I knew how to knit like that. She did a very good job!
Hoping graig will see this in hopes that maybe he knows some good sculptors.
I'm gonna see if I can post a poll on the main forum showing exactly what my product would be and see how many would buy one based on description and price. Who knows maybe with enough positive feedback I could find a company interested in doing it!
Old 05-05-2010, 02:56 PM
Dan Bretta

Sean, I'm a bit confused as to what size you want these to be. You said 6" GI Joe, but there never was a 6" Joe line. The original dolls were 12" from the 60s and 70s and the action figure line of the 80s was 3 3/4" size. Mego made a great line of dolls in the 70's that were 8" size...they ran the gamut from Superheroes, Planet of the Apes to Star Trek.
Old 05-05-2010, 03:28 PM
Sean Brennan

I'm talking the same size as the 80s action figures though I'd be fine with an inch or two bigger. The key is the smallness and attention to detail. I also think having a little mini unopen pack would be cool to show the buyer somewhat what it was like to open say a sweet caporal pack (no ciggies included of course)
Old 05-05-2010, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkit1 View Post
I disagree.

First off the original starting Lineup guys aren't all valuable but some have maintained value. I know because I can't get an 88 Utah jazz teamset for $25. The starting lineups (just like the macfarlane guys) had to be successful because they did them for years.
Secondly regarding market I covered that. I'm not talking mass distribution. I'm talking just enough to sell on websites like here it eBay. If done well I think they would have appeal even if somewhat small. If someone created the entire 1908 cubs at a reasonable price and looked good I'd buy them for sure.

I am pretty sure you will run into legal problems.
Unless you have some sort of written permission from MLB, the Players Association, and / or the players estate's?

You can't just make and market an item like this.
Old 05-05-2010, 04:24 PM
Sean Brennan

Im wondering that as well. Does these fall into public domain? The likeness of a player dead for over 40 years? Might be able to get around MLB by not using players that would be in uniforms that show an emblem i.e. the 1900 cubs. Would an old emblem be considered copyrighted anyways? Would MLB be able to sue me if i am using a team that doesnt exist anymore? ok where is a copyright expert?
Old 05-05-2010, 05:11 PM
Dan Bretta

I would bet all of the defunct emblems are still copyrighted...if not by the teams them I'm sure by MLB. Also the deceased players may fall under the MLB Players Union or the family of certain players. IOW I'm sure you won't be able to make a Christy Mathewson figure without getting permission or paying for rights.
Old 05-08-2010, 11:52 AM

A company called CMG handles licensing rights for the estates of most pre-war ballplayers. They have a list on their web site.
Old 05-08-2010, 12:35 PM
Sean Brennan

neat!
thanks for the heads up
Looks like mostly hall offamers. I wonder how to find out but non hall off fame players?