NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 03-17-2017, 04:47 PM
David (30%) Hall

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian1961 View Post
TOP 6 MAINSTREAM MICKEY MANTLE CARDS (FOR BEAUTY, DESIRABILITY TO ME, AND MOST VALUABLE)

1. 1952 TOPPS

2. 1951 BOWMAN

3. 1953 TOPPS

4. 1956 TOPPS

5. 1953 BOWMAN

6. 1960 TOPPS (I know the '57 is much more valuable, but I honestly like the looks of the '60 more)

TOP 6 REGIONAL / FOOD MICKEY MANTLE ITEMS (FOR BEAUTY, DESIRABILITY TO ME, AND MOST VALUABLE)

1. ANY OF THE 3 STAHL-MEYER FRANKS

2. 1960 POST CEREAL

3. 1959 BAZOOKA

4. 1960 HOME RUN DERBY

4 1/2. 1959 Yoo-Hoo Chocolate Drink (So wish we knew the story behind this mysterious Mantle card - a real beauty)

5. 1966 - 1967 COCA-COLA premium, as produced by Dexter Press (TODAY, 3/16/17, I SAW KEITH OLBERMANN'S NICE WRITE-UP ON THESE CARDS IN THE SABR BASEBALL CARD COMMITTEE SITE. KEITH STATES THAT HE REMEMBERS SEEING THE 1966 DEXTER PRESS YANKEE CARDS SOLD INDIVIDUALLY AT THE STADIUM SOUVENIR STANDS THAT YEAR. THUS, THESE CARDS, SOMEWHAT SMALLER THAN THE COCA-COLA PREMIUMS OF 1967, ARE A REGIONAL ONLY SOLD AT THE STADIUM. FOR MANY YEARS I WONDERED HOW THEY WERE DISTRIBUTED, AND KEITH'S FIRST-HAND KNOWLEDGE PRESENTS VALUABLE INFORMATION TO US. SINCE THEY WERE ONLY SOLD AT THE STADIUM, THE CARDS ARE MUCH MORE SIGNIFICANT IN MY ESTIMATION. AS BEAUTIFUL AS THEY ARE, I'M SURE THE CARDS DIDN'T SELL THAT WELL, BEING THE YANKS WERE FALLING TO LAST PLACE FOR THE FIRST TIME SINCE BEFORE THE BABE CAME. REGARDLESS, TODAY THEY ARE UNQUESTIONABLY SOME OF THE MOST EYE-APPEALING CARDS TO BE HAD.)

6. 1962 JELL-O

(Why no Briggs? Why no Dan-Dee? These are both very, very special. Truly. The rarity of the Briggs far exceeds the Stahl-Meyer, but its claustrophobic cropping destroys its attractiveness. It is what it is. Furthermore, no one, young or old, seemed to know just how to cut the Briggs cards off their product package. Generations later, PSA and SGC both give the grade of "AUTHENTIC" to submitted specimens. A shame.

The Dan-Dee is gorgeous, with enough cropping of the great Mantle portrait to suffice. I well remember when I first saw the Dan-Dee in the mid-70s. I was extremely taken with it. Several years later I saw the Stahl-Meyer, with by-far the best use of the perfect Mickey Mantle portrait, taken by official Yankee photographer Bob Olen when Mick was a rookie. With just one glimpse of the Stahl-Meyer Franks Mantle, my feelings for the Dan-Dee were blown out of the water. The 1953 Stahl-Meyer is the most plentiful of the three years, but I think kids preferred the 1953's bone china white borders over the nice, stain-subduing neon yellow borders. Most 1953 PSA graded specimens (as of 3/14/2017, 32 of 46 submitted to PSA) came out PSA 1 POOR, which underscores how precious those cards were to the kids back then who saved their Mantles, creases, stains, and stamp marks notwithstanding. The very, very few that have graded PSA EX-MT or better trace to a find which I covered in my book.

Must get ready for work. Bye.

A LIST OF 6 VERY UNDERRATED MICKEY MANTLE ITEMS, IN NO PARTICULAR ORDER

1. 1969 TOPPS SUPER BASEBALL

2. EXHIBIT (STANDING BATTING IN HOME UNIFORM AS A ROOKIE)

3. DORMAND PC (STANDING BATTING)

4. SALADA COIN (1962 / 1963)

5. 1964 TOPPS STAND-UP

6. ALL OF MICK'S BAZOOKAS''

Though it really is a "pipe dream" and never actually issued, I want to make special mention of his 1961 Topps Dice Game card. Let's call it a "prototype".

When the U. S. Mint was accepting prototypes to replace its $20 gold piece, one of those it rejected was a beautiful coin with lady Liberty wearing a Native American head dress. While they chose the more beautiful design by Augustus St. Gaudens, the rejected design was used for the face of the $10 Gold piece the Mint was also upgrading. When the aforementioned prototype Lady Liberty $20 gold piece was last auctioned it went for over $1 million dollars. The exact figure escapes me.

My point, just because the beautiful 1961 Topps Dice Game Mantle was never actually issued does not mean genuine examples of this prototype should languish in price. I don't own one, but it is worth boo coo, I believe; particularly so if one would grade out at least a PSA Near Mint 7, as have a very few specimens that were numerically grade-worthy. At this point, I am beginning to doubt if there are any. Most were stapled to a paper with Woody Gelman's figurative question, "What do you think of this idea for a dice game, with picture game cards of players and dice number actions on the backside? Think it would sell?

A LIST OF 6 MODERN POST-CAREER MICKEY MANTLE CARDS THAT I FEEL ARE WORTH OWNING AND ENJOYING IF YOU CANNOT AFFORD ORIGINALS, OR WISH TO COMPLEMENT YOUR OWN PERIOD CARD COLLECTION, AND THAT MAY APPRECIATE A BIT BECAUSE OF THEIR ATTRACTIVENESS. THESE CONSTITUTE MORE THAN 6, BUT WHO REALLY CARES ANYWAY?

1. 1987 PEREZ-STEELE GREAT MOMENTS

2. 1988 PACIFIC LEGENDS

3. 2010 TOPPS HERITAGE #56B super short print

4. ALL TOPPS ALLEN & GINTER

5. 2012 TOPPS ARCHIVES 3-D (PRODUCED AND STYLED PRECISELY AS THE RARE 1968 TOPPS 3-D TEST ISSUE, THIS CARD LOOKS EXACTLY AS A '68 TOPPS 3-D SHOULD HAVE LOOKED. WEARING A BATTING HELMET, MICKEY HAS JUST BLASTED A SPACE SHOT HOME RUN. WATCHING THE BALL'S FLIGHT, HE BEGINS TO DROP THE BAT, AND BEGIN HIS BY-NOW HOBBLE AROUND THE BASES. PERFECT FOR IMAGINING A '68 TOPPS 3-D MICK!)

6. MOST OF THE TOPPS GYPSY QUEENS. THESE JUST LOOK SO COOL.

Well, that's a lot of lists, that took some time to think out. Given enough time, I'm sure I'd change my mind a tiny bit, or lengthen the lists to "Top 10 Mantles"! No doubt my list will differ from yours, but I am sure we all have some cards and items we'd all agree on. Nice topic for a question. I feel an interesting category would be for fantasy Mantles. I'd list the two Bob Lemke creations I am very fortunate to own, as well as the pair I made. I did purchase for the first time a fantasy from Mr. Oddball on eBay. The scan on the eBay listing was sensational. It was a 1955 Topps. The price was cheap, and the postage 70 cents. What I got was a flimsy, index card-thick non-glossy card. Maybe it did not cost much, but I was not amused, nor impressed in the least. The extremely poor execution of what portended to be a beautiful fantasy left a bad taste in my mouth. A good fantasy, as Bob Lemke's creations were, and I feel my two Micks were, complement a period collection, rather than detract. Now I realize I'm getting verbose and off the subject. Gotta make finish my supper for work, anyway.

Cheers. Happy collecting, guys and gals. ---Brian Powell

Picture of the 1960 Post Mic and the 2010 Heritage? Just curious as I didn't see any on the bay...

Last edited by mickey7mantle7; 03-17-2017 at 04:48 PM.
Old 03-17-2017, 04:49 PM
David (30%) Hall

Quote:
Originally Posted by CW View Post
Guess I'm a fan of the early years. Here's a visual aide to go with the above post.

Simply stunning😳
Old 03-18-2017, 01:24 PM
Ben W.hitener

Not the most iconic...or actual baseball cards but 6 of my favorites in my PC.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6_resize_resize.jpg (76.5 KB, 137 views)
Old 03-18-2017, 05:07 PM

Mickey7Mantle7---

David, The two Mantles you referenced are not that frequently found on eBay.

I am not that adroit at uploading images. It seems when I do, with my son's help (read "I watch while he loads the photos!") the image is always more bits than what Net54baseball can handle. I have given up.

However, I just did a Google search on both of the Mickeys, and images came right up. So, Google search, and type:

1960 Post Cereal Mickey Mantle images

(Note, the background color is usually lightened by a scanner. In real life it is a very rich salmon)

2010 Topps Heritage 56b Mickey Mantle images

(When I did this, David, a lot of images came up. However, look for the card on the top row of images designed as a 1961 Topps. Mickey is shown in a very pleasing rookie photo, batting, and you will see the "TOPPS HERITAGE" logo near the top left of the sky background. In all the write-ups I have encountered, Mickey (#56B), Roger Maris (#61B), and Babe Ruth (#60B) are considered super short prints. Sometimes when they are mentioned, the initials SSP are used, indicating "Super Short Print")

I trust this gives you enough directions to find the images you seek.

Happy collecting, bro. ---Brian Powell

Last edited by brian1961; 03-20-2017 at 11:05 PM.
Old 03-18-2017, 05:16 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Mickey7Mantle7---

I am not that adroit at uploading images. It seems when I do, with my son's help (read "I watch while he loads the photos!") the image is always more bits than what Net54baseball can handle. I have given up.

However, I just did a Google search on both of the Mickeys, and images came right up. So, Google search, and type:

(Note, the background color is usually lightened by a scanner. In real life it is a very rich salmon)

(When I did this, David, a lot of images came up. However, look for the card on the top row of images designed as a 1961 Topps. Mickey is portrayed as a rookie, batting, and you will see the "TOPPS HERITAGE" logo near the top left of the sky background. In all of the write-ups I have encountered, Mickey (#56B), Roger Maris (#61B), and Babe Ruth (#60) are considered super short prints. Sometimes when they are mentioned, the initials SSP are used, indicating "Super Short Print")

If I am understanding this post correctly, Brian, you need to resize your pics.
There are many free picture resizers on the internet and once downloaded, will always be in/part of your editing software.

Are these the pics you're referring too?
https://www.google.ca/search?q=1960+...hrome&ie=UTF-8
Old 03-18-2017, 08:43 PM

Yes Dale, those are the images I was referring to on the 1960 Post Cereal Mickey Mantle, as printed on their large boxes of Grape Nuts Flakes.

When it comes to picture editing and what you are trying to advise me, to quote dear 'ol Bugs Bunny, my "IQ is P-U". However, I will try to pass this info on to my son.

I still would love to sell you a copy of my book, if you're interested in post-war regionals from 1947 - 1971. If you have a working disc drive on your computer, and it is equipped with ADOBE READER software. PM me if interested. If not, no hard feelings, my friend.

Take care, Dale, and thanks ever so much for trying to help me with uploading photos. Honestly, I am touched. ---Brian Powell

Last edited by brian1961; 03-19-2017 at 09:30 PM.
Old 03-19-2017, 06:31 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Yes Dale, those are the images I was referring to on the 1960 Post Cereal Mickey Mantle, as printed on their large boxes of Grape Nuts Flakes.

When it comes to picture editing and what you are trying to advise me, to quote dear 'ol Bugs Bunny, my "IQ is PU". However, I will try to pass this info on to my son.

I still would love to sell you a copy of my book, if you're interested in post-war regionals from 1947 - 1971. If you have a working disc drive on your computer, and it is equipped with ADOBE READER software. PM me if interested. If not, no hard feelings, my friend.

Take care, Dale, and thanks ever so much for trying to help me with uploading photos. Honestly, I am touched. ---Brian Powell
There are a ton of them, Brian.
Here's a link for some you can look into. I chose filehippo as they have the least amount of add ons, imo.
https://www.google.ca/webhp?sourceid...ture+resizer&*
Also, have you tried right clicking on your photos to see what comes up?
Don't open them fully, leave them in the album so you can also see your other pics
Mine will take me to paint, to picture resizer, etc. From any of those, I can resize my pics. After I have resized, I just hit save, and I'm done.

Good luck.

Last edited by irv; 03-19-2017 at 06:31 AM.
Old 03-19-2017, 07:50 AM
Matt

Last edited by MattyC; 03-19-2017 at 07:54 AM.
Old 03-20-2017, 03:53 PM
Tim B
Banned

Wow. Matty! The above 4.5 is so nicely centered. Image and color are awesome. What a beauty! A great example of how grading is subjective. That's nicer than some 7s I've seen.
Old 03-20-2017, 05:10 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbegs View Post
Wow. Matty! The above 4.5 is so nicely centered. Image and color are awesome. What a beauty! A great example of how grading is subjective. That's nicer than some 7s I've seen.
X2! An incredible 4.5!
Old 03-20-2017, 05:21 PM

Very nice picks, Ben and Matt!

The cards are pretty cool, too.
Old 03-20-2017, 05:54 PM
Matt

Thanks so much, guys; that '52 makes me smile every time I think of it. A fun tidbit: I was contacted by the original family who owned it; the father pulled it from a pack! Then it was graded and sent to the auction where I obtained it.

And Tim, much appreciated and you nailed it— I passed on a few 7s and 6s at the time of purchase, as the 4.5 just blew them away in terms of sheer eye appeal. Then later on, was contacted by the Louisville Slugger Museum, which chose it over even a tilted 8 to display in their Topps Exhibit. I managed to snag a screen capture when Louisville Slugger took it on the TV news...

Last edited by MattyC; 03-20-2017 at 05:56 PM.
Old 03-20-2017, 06:32 PM
David (30%) Hall

Quote:
Mickey7Mantle7---

(When I did this, David, a lot of images came up. However, look for the card on the top row of images designed as a 1961 Topps. Mickey is portrayed as a rookie, batting, and you will see the "TOPPS HERITAGE" logo near the top left of the sky background. In all of the write-ups I have encountered, Mickey (#56B), Roger Maris (#61B), and Babe Ruth (#60) are considered super short prints. Sometimes when they are mentioned, the initials SSP are used, indicating "Super Short Print")

Thanks Brian! Great help!!
Old 03-26-2017, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CW View Post
Very nice picks, Ben and Matt!

The cards are pretty cool, too.
Hey CW, I know it's been 10 days since you posted your array of early Mantle gems, but let me simply say, thanks pal, for displaying your beauties of Mr. Mantle. That's a seriously impressive array, bro. Well selected, and well done.

With those, you can just get absorbed in wonder at their beauty. I envision them in an All-State display case, with their old midnight blue velvet pad.

Best regards, Brian Powell

Last edited by brian1961; 03-27-2017 at 11:35 AM.