NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 11-28-2014, 09:35 PM
Tom

Default 1963 Fleer Set

I know this is a short set at 66 cards plus checklist. Does anyone else love this set? Has anyone else completed it? I just wish Topps had left Fleer alone, I would of loved to have seen this set run it's full course.
Old 11-29-2014, 06:31 AM
Dave.Horn.ish

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1963Topps Set View Post
I know this is a short set at 66 cards plus checklist. Does anyone else love this set? Has anyone else completed it? I just wish Topps had left Fleer alone, I would of loved to have seen this set run it's full course.
I completed it maybe ten years ago and then eventually sold it off when my focus changed. Not one of my favorites but not one of my east favorites either. Centering is a major problem IIRC.
Old 11-29-2014, 06:48 AM
M@rk Comer

Default Fleer Set - Brooks Robinson

I like the front card design and also most of the photo's chosen for the set. The backs are a bit plane jane, but not bad. I don't really collect sets, but the Brooks Robinson Fleer card is one of my favorites.

I'm with you; I would have liked to have seen what would come next for Fleer.
Old 11-29-2014, 09:19 AM
P. Sp.ec.tor

I always liked them -- nice clean look and design. I'm not a set collector but I did pick up about 10 of them "along the way".
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fleer63ClementeMaysCKLST.jpg (68.0 KB, 231 views)
Old 11-29-2014, 09:30 AM
Anthøny N. ex

I always loved this set.Completed it years ago in PSA 8/9 but sold it in a purge.
Held onto a pack, box and panel

Old 11-29-2014, 11:19 AM
Al Richter

Default 1963 Fleer

Topps did not halt this set. It was stopped short by poor sales. Gum trumped cookies . It is a great set. I have the set and an unopened cookie. :-)

Last edited by ALR-bishop; 11-29-2014 at 01:23 PM.
Old 11-29-2014, 11:23 AM
Grant Rainsley

The cookies tasted awful. But I remember the anticipation of "the next series" and how much I wanted Frank Robinson on a card with that design. For some reason I never got the Clemente back then, so just completed the set some five years ago. In a rare fit of intelligence, I didn't mark up the Checklist like I did with many other sets.

What's the story on the panel? Sales sample or something?
Successful deals with dkbobasa, Mintacular, Hangman, Donscards, Bocabirdman, Goferboy00, Digdugdig, jimivintage, baseballart, jimmysuitcase, 39special, smokeyburgess, scooter, shorttmail66, KCDoughboy, Andrew1975, t206fix, Eggoman, others.

Member of OBC. www.oldbaseball.com
Old 11-29-2014, 01:27 PM
Al Richter

Default 1963 Fleer

[/IMG]
Old 11-29-2014, 01:42 PM
Anthøny N. ex

Quote:
Originally Posted by grainsley View Post
What's the story on the panel? Sales sample or something?
Nope, just a 3 card strip, normally printed back. The only salesman samples for Fleer that I've been able to track down is for the '59 set. There are tons of '60 strips out there and lots of '61 panels but I've never seen any salesman samples, and I've gone thru 30 years of auction catalogs.
Old 11-29-2014, 02:39 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

1963Fleer2.jpg

I made a sweet deal on this checklist in nice shape last year and have an extra Adcock SP to trade. (On a side note, in the 'old' days of posting on-line, listing this card was always blocked because of the semi-bawdiness of his last name. Flags would always go up!!)

Still need the Clemente, Wills and Gibson, unfortunately.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 11-29-2014, 09:33 PM
Tom

I completed the set on November 16, 2013 when I added Bob Gibson to the collection. I was very reluctant to go for this set because of it's small size, and the cards can be pricy. But it is my birth year, and I do like the cards design so I finally took the plunge.
Old 11-29-2014, 11:00 PM
Bill Gregory

I really like the cards from the set that I have seen, and will probably build the set eventually. Like the 1953 Bowman set, it's smaller in size, and it's different.

I love the Clemente and Brooks Robinson cards.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 09-03-2015, 05:28 PM
David M.

Default Given Out To Little League Teams?

I'm bringing back an old thread because this was always a favorite set of mine, and I had some information and a question. Around 30 years ago, I traded for some of the stars in the set. Nothing unusual about that, except the fellow I traded with had an envelope with several different cards (stars only), that he said were given out to little league teams in town back when these cards came out. I have no reason to doubt the story, and he did have a large group of star cards that look like vending cards in a large envelope. Anyone else heard such a story related to the 1963 Fleers?
Old 09-03-2015, 05:42 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Was the envelope an 'official' envelope of some sort from Fleer or was it just an envelope that anyone could buy in a store? That seems like the heart of the matter here. If it's the latter, a coach could've simply bought a ton of cards and divvied them up to give out to his players. My little league coach gave us Mets players (Topps cards) back in the day. That's what this reminds me of.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 09-03-2015, 06:43 PM
Al Richter

Default 63 Fleer

Data I saw from an FTC complaint proceeding against Topps indicated Fleer's sales of the 63 set were so poor they likely scuttled a plan for a second series. It could be they were giving out samples to generate interest.

Topps used to give out some cards trough boy scout troops in the early 60s along with elect your favorite rookie forms. And I have a few envelopes from Topps that we're used to send out send away promotions. They are pretty plain with had written designations of contents

But I have no personal knowledge if Fleer did anything similar
Old 09-04-2015, 12:27 AM
David M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
Was the envelope an 'official' envelope of some sort from Fleer or was it just an envelope that anyone could buy in a store? That seems like the heart of the matter here. If it's the latter, a coach could've simply bought a ton of cards and divvied them up to give out to his players. My little league coach gave us Mets players (Topps cards) back in the day. That's what this reminds me of.
As I recall, it was an envelope with the little league's return address on it. Of course it was a long time ago, so I can't say for sure. I still really feel they were samples from Fleer. He only had star cards. If the cards were from opened packs there would have been a mix of players (I would have liked to have seen a checklist!). There were like 10 cards each of Gibson, Yaz, Clemente, Koufax, etc. I was hoping someone might know if Fleer had a program to promote the set by giving out samples this way.