NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-04-2009, 05:33 PM
Doug C.

Default O/T RIP Steve McNair

I just saw on ESPN that former Titans/Ravens QB Steve McNair was found shot to death. This just keeps adding to what has been a sad week. Here's a link to the article: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4306275
Old 07-04-2009, 05:47 PM
Rhett Yeakley

I saw that today as well, I was in complete shock.

ebay store: kryvintage-->https://www.ebay.com/sch/kryvintage/...p2047675.l2562
Old 07-04-2009, 06:02 PM
Barry Sloate

He was only 36. A lot of tragic deaths lately.
Old 07-04-2009, 06:04 PM
Brock

I can't believe how many stars have died so far this week/year, and whats also sad is that they are passing away at earlier ages.
Old 07-04-2009, 06:45 PM

He seemed like a normal, nice guy in interviews. He was a Southern country boy and when he got rich he still on a farm/ranch during the off season.

Last edited by drc; 07-04-2009 at 06:57 PM.
Old 07-04-2009, 08:11 PM
David

Default Nothin' but trouble.....

Out with someone other than his wife.......asking for trouble (remember Lyman Bostock).

Last edited by OldSchoolBaseball; 07-04-2009 at 08:12 PM.
Old 07-04-2009, 08:23 PM

My thoughts and prayers are with Steve's family.... I don't know who he was with or why, because it really doesn't matter...
Someone chose to kill Steve.....

I'm saddened Brian

PS I'm not fond of the asking for trouble argument..... In fact I think it sucks...
Old 07-04-2009, 09:23 PM
JeR@Me

Default Tough Afternoon in Nashville...

The details are sketchy at this point, although it does not look too good (Possible Murder-Suicide situation)...

McNair was a important piece of the Nashville community and has always been very active with charity here in the city. He was our first great Pro and more importantly he was well respected for how he carried himself off the field in the community. He was the real deal. Genuine as can be...

We will sorely miss him -

JJ
Old 07-08-2009, 12:30 PM
Mark M

Default O/T RIP Steve McNair

"Out with someone other than his wife.......asking for trouble (remember Lyman Bostock). "

Not the same as Bostock. Circumstances not even close.

He was batting .296 and hot enough to expect to once more hit .300 for the season the day the Angels left Minnesota for Chicago shortly before the end of the season. When Bostock played in Chicago, he always stayed in Gary, Indiana, with his uncle, Thomas Turner.

Bostock went 2-for-4 on a September Saturday afternoon game in Chicago, then drove to Gary.

Bostock told Turner that he hadn't seen childhood friend Joan Hawkins for years, so Turner called Hawkins' sister, Barbara Smith, who said Hawkins would be by soon. Bostock and Turner drove to Smith's house, where friends began to gather to meet Bostock. He chatted and signed autographs for friends of Smith, whom he had known for about 30 minutes when she asked Turner if she and Hawkins could catch a ride to a friend's house.

Bostock and Smith got into the back seat of Turner's Buick Limited. Six blocks later, Turner heard a shotgun blast and thought it had come from outside a nearby store. It had come from a car next to them. Leonard Smith, the estranged husband of Bostock's seatmate, had driven beside the Buick and pulled the trigger on a sawed off shotgun.

Reports suggested Smith wanted to kill his ex-wife, but those close to the case later said Smith mistook Bostock for his estranged wife's boyfriend.
Old 07-08-2009, 05:14 PM
Tim Newcomb

Default Bostock/ McNair

I'm glad you clarified the details on the Bostock situation. And thanks Brian, for calling out the "asking for trouble" argument. I think it sucks too, especially when it's used so loosely that somebody just riding in a friend's car like Bostock is blamed for his own murder. Poor taste.
Old 07-08-2009, 06:03 PM

THanks for the Bostock info, I always liked him when he played.

McNair issue is very bothersome from a family standpoint.

Frank L.
Old 07-08-2009, 08:21 PM
Chris Counts

Default Steve McNair RIP

The deaths of star athletes always seem to hit me harder than those of other celebrities. The circumstances of Steve McNair's death, understandably, have received a lot of media attention. But I hope that doesn't detract from what, in my opinion, matters most ... that McNair was a man among men on a football field. He had a great game, and he played the game with a ton of heart. Hopefully, when all the dust is settled, there will be a place for him in the Pro Football Hall of Fame. In my estimation, he's a worthy candidate. Rest in peace, Air ...
Old 07-08-2009, 09:10 PM
David

Default Don't get me wrong...

I love the rant on McNair.....how great he was on the field is one thing, but I blame McNair for what he got. I feel bad...ONLY for his kids and wife. 4 of them without a father and a wife who probably cannot understand what the hell just happened.

My guess he had no idea this psycho bitch with the tight ass would ever do such a thing........BUT I am sure he promised her a "future" divorce and Escalade to keep ass coming. You do this and it's sure to end ugly, and this ended very ugly.

So yea, I blame McNair
Old 07-08-2009, 09:14 PM
Peter Spaeth

Interesting perspective on McNair from Jason Whitlock.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/9...-McNair-a-hero

The police said today they think the girlfriend may have acted because she suspected he was cheating on HER. A very sad story.
Old 07-08-2009, 09:33 PM
David

Default McNair article

That was a great article by Whitlock

Last edited by OldSchoolBaseball; 07-08-2009 at 09:33 PM.
Old 07-08-2009, 10:38 PM
JeR@Me

Default The Ugly Side is coming out...

I never hold athletes in high esteem, and I certainly don't want to take a position on something I trully don't know the full circumstances of, but as with a lot of folks whether they are famous or not, we never know the private side of their lives until something tragic like this occurs. I won't pass judgement b/c for all we know McNair was a solid father, human being, etc. up until about 3 months ago... (Probably not, but none of us trully know) I know I have seen him at Vandy Football games with his family, and he has littered the landscape with his time, money, and good hearted community service for over a decade. Could it be possible his marriage was felling over the past year, he goes on a bender with a young lady as a mid-life ex-athlete crisis and pays dearly for it with his life ? His actions are dispicable, and he is no example for anyone, but he has done an enormous amount of good in Nashville. I would not speculate on what he has done for his family b/c only his wife, family can answer that one... I kind of want think that he was a novice at this whole cheat on his wife thing, made a terrible mistake, and it cost him. If I were going to speculate, I would take that angle... I think he had a good heart, became undisciplined, and paid the price. Tragic.
Old 07-09-2009, 07:07 AM
Josh K.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSchoolBaseball View Post
My guess he had no idea this psycho bitch with the tight ass would ever do such a thing........BUT I am sure he promised her a "future" divorce and Escalade to keep ass coming. You do this and it's sure to end ugly, and this ended very ugly.

So yea, I blame McNair

Im sorry, but this is idiotic - while I dont condone cheating on one's wife, Im also not going to stereotype the situation and argue that all who do are sure to end up dead - which is essentially what you are saying.

The man may have had a flaw, but it certainly doesnt mean he deserved to be shot to death or otherwise had it coming.