NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-08-2004, 04:11 PM
Administrator

Default Darned good fake!

Posted By: nickinvegas

Hello,
I just got my package back from SGC and I was shocked when this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2777185723&category=31719&rd=1

came back marked counterfeit. I have emailed the seller and I am sure he will refund my money.

I could not believe how good this one looked! The counterfeit's are getting better and better.

Nick

Old 03-08-2004, 07:27 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JC

Can't someone do a class action against the companys who make reproductions of the early pre-war sets? I know Many of these original companies have gone out of business and no one can stop them. Maybe Cracker jacks can go after them.... Just a thought...

Reprints just hurt our hobby and they force people to the BIG BAD grading companies which is another hornet's nest.. Another thought!

Old 03-08-2004, 08:26 PM
Administrator

Posted By: petecld

JC,
I understand what you're saying but going after the guys who reprinted the cards is like going after the U.S. Treasury because people are making fake money. Just so you know, EVERY vintage set reproduced has been altered in some significant way from the originals. The problem isn't the producers, it's the buyers who don't do their homework before spending their money.

Nick,
Look at the image from that auction. I am not a fan of the bad scans some sellers use and maybe next time avoid auctions that don't post clear scans. NO chance at a card is worth loosing your money. I can see why you bid as the card "looks" genuine enough but if the guy was smart enough to post a scan then he/she should be are smart enough to post an image without all the background and focus in on the card - IF they wanted you to see the card clearly.

If someone spends the money for a scanner, they will learn how to use it properly. And if they want their card to sell for the best possible price then posting a good quality image is only common sense.

Old 03-09-2004, 05:46 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott P

I am the seller of this card and had no idea it was a fake. I purchased this card in JAN 03' see feedback I left. (Excellent transaction and great card. Thank You Seller glennmlerch( 130) Jan-30-03 16:49 2701093178). In looking at this seller now(glennmlerch) shortly after my pruchase he rang up 13 consecutive negatives. Send it back and I will refund you. This appears to be the new trend of scamming -- build up 100+ feedback and then go for the theft. It's a sad commentary on society. You all can see every day the pathetic efforts to scam on Ebay and Yahoo, I get a kick out of looking at all the scam attempts on the 52' Mantle. Right now a guy is selling a 52' mantle and a PSA Jordan rookie together. No chance he has that Mantle or it's a great fake. I've seen that scan floating around before. What's really bad is the, "looks real, feels real but since it's not graded i'll have to sell it as a reprint, but it might be a diamond in the ruff!!"

In regards to my scan, I recently upgraded to an HP device from that horrible Epson I had several months ago. I couldn't get better pictures at that time.

Old 03-09-2004, 06:39 AM
Administrator

Posted By: dan mckee

Nick, just a heads up, I have stopped buying most HOF strips because many have been reprinted and many are now slabbed. They were easy reprints due to the blank backs, poor printing quality, and the common cardboard. Dan.

Old 03-09-2004, 08:52 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Nickinvegas

Hello,
I just wanted to let everyone know that Scott has already refunded my money on the card. We could use more sellers like "Spolin" on ebay. I know he did not knowingly sell a counterfeit card. I have the card in my hands and I still doubt that it is fake.

Scott felt as though I "trashed" him my posting about this card. I apologize that was not my intent. I have to stop being suprised by the sensitivity of the general vintage card community. I really did not feel as though I said anything offensive in my opening post. I guess I have to think even longer before I press that "Respond" button to post.

In closing, Spolin is a great seller who handled this transaction in a speedy and professional matter.

Regards,
Nick

Old 03-09-2004, 09:19 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Lee Behrens

Hi Nick,

I felt your post was legit with no accusations towards Scott, you even mentioned he would probably refund the money. Maybe waiting a day or 2 for a response from the seller would be warranted, but I think everyone can see that Scott is an upstanding ebayer.

Just my thoughts

Lee

Old 03-09-2004, 09:38 AM
Administrator

Posted By: runscott

I thought ASA graded real cards?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2793072617&category=31719

Old 03-09-2004, 10:00 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Rob L

According to the ASA website, this "modern" card should be labeled M-8PQ. To bad there isn't a RP-8PQ for reprints or a F-8PQ for fakes.

Old 03-09-2004, 10:02 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

I just emailed the seller to let them know what's up. We'll see what they say.....regards all.......tough chat room last night....sheesh

Old 03-09-2004, 10:11 AM
Administrator

...what a brawl!

So you wanna do it again tonight?

Old 03-09-2004, 11:24 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

my Four Base Hits can't take it anymore....it went from vg to extremely poor in one fell swoop....even have substantiated documentation to prove it....with eye witnesses and senate subcommittee and chromosone research to back it up........oh well...guess I'll just keep him.....would hate for such a crappy card to be sold and someone get taken like I did... later

Old 03-09-2004, 08:34 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JC

Where was the brawl at??? In the chat room? I missed it... What thread was it under...

Old 03-10-2004, 05:14 AM
Administrator

I don't think anyone knows what you are talking about, or has ever seen an image of that card.

Old 03-10-2004, 06:09 AM
Administrator

Posted By: dan

Leon, please show a scan so the board members can decide for themselves what condition it is in. Now my 2 cents, when collecting 1 of a kind or almost 1 of a kind stuff, who cares about condition? Now if you are investing and not collecting, shame on you, stick to PSA 9 or better.

Old 03-10-2004, 04:47 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie

,,,and I'd give my right arm for it. If I hadn't already given it...

And unnoticed except by a very few, I got bashed for being mean to Elliot. ME being mean to Elliot--ROFLMAO!