NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 05-07-2017, 07:02 AM
Dave Grob

Default Steiner Sports Auctions

I had never registered or bid in a Steiner Auction unitl now. After 11 hours of "extended bidding", the auction remains open. Yes, I am well aware of the "15 minute rule" and how this works and I knew this was part of their set of auction rules, but it is typical for them to run their auctions like this.

Would love to hear from others, because if this is typical for them, this will be my first and last Steiner Auction.

Dave Grob
Old 05-07-2017, 07:14 AM
Matthew
Ma.tt Wy.llie

I woke up this morning, and the auction was still going on. I couldn't believe it. I tapped out last night, as the items I was watching went up pretty high very quickly. Strange. Waymore than market value.
Old 05-07-2017, 07:39 AM
Matthew
Ma.tt Wy.llie

I think the main problem with the auction is that they allow any person to bid on any item at any time, as long as the auction is open, even if that person has never bid on that item. I think they are doing that because previous actions have not been as robust as they had wanted and they are trying to bump up prices. Doesn't seem very fair to the prelim bidders.
Old 05-07-2017, 08:54 AM
Dave Grob

Default Steiner Sports Auctions

I will preface these next comments with the fact that I can remember a time, when for auctions I would get a catalog, fill out a bid sheet, and then either fax or mail it in. At this time there was also the concept of extended bidding. This concept of extended bidding was executed primarily by phone bids. Later this began to be accomplished by on-line bids as well.

The concept was a good one, because at the time it provided a last or late minute outlet for bids. The purchase of sports memorabilia is largely an impulse purchase as none of us really NEED these items. Our interest in bidding is piqued more when we feel we are risk at missing the item or losing out. In short, the more time you give someone to think about an “impulse purchase”, the more time you give them to convince themselves “it’s the other guy” who is paying the silly above market price.

Take this auction format for example and look at the bids and bidding patterns, making special note of the items with no bids or only one. At the time I am writing this, this is just over 700 lots, or almost 1/3 of the auction. By leaving this auction opened ended for such a long time, they have done nothing to stimulate the notion in the mind of the bidder that “I have to get in on this now.” Some of their starting prices are also a likely factor in this sluggish and anemic bidding. While they may, and apparently are picking up incremental bids, the number of low to no bids is the number they should be most concerned with as those items represent time effort and cost to produce, yet yield no return.

This no return yield also has second and third order effects, beyond simply absorbing resources. It creates the perception of “you can’t sell”, so this is going to likely turn off future consigners. I would suggest that they conduct a professional development seminar of their staff by watching the movie “Money Ball”. It’s not about the home run numbers, but about getting on base and scoring in aggregate.

Dave Grob
Old 05-07-2017, 01:42 PM
Matthew
Ma.tt Wy.llie

They just announced that the auction will be ending at 6 PM. A mere 20 hours after they started last call. Really!?
Old 05-07-2017, 01:59 PM
Dave Grob

Default Steiner Auctions

I contacted Steiner Auctions earlier today and even sent them a link to this thread to which this reply came:

All of the points in your thread are valid and we'll taken and I will personally take a better look at what you mentioned for our other catalog auction and see how we can improve. Feedback like yours is invaluable in making our processes better.

You can contact me directly at anytime with any other suggestions you might have. I'll make sure to hop on GUU to express the same to anyone else”.

I guess he has this forum confused with the one run by Game Used Universe (GUU). You are as likely to see me posting there as you are to see me bidding in another Steiner Auction.

Dave Grob
Old 05-07-2017, 04:44 PM
Dave Grob

Default Steiner Auctions

I won my lot. I was the only bidder and placed that bid WELL in advance of the initial close before the 18 hour extended bidding period. The auction experience was beyond silly, but in the end I got something I have been after for years and WELL below what I was prepared to pay.

Dave Grob
Old 05-07-2017, 05:32 PM
T0m C@rf@gn0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Grob View Post
I won my lot. I was the only bidder and placed that bid WELL in advance of the initial close before the 18 hour extended bidding period. The auction experience was beyond silly, but in the end I got something I have been after for years and WELL below what I was prepared to pay.

Dave Grob
I won the one I was after as well but had to put up with the silliness of being outbid at 4:30 this afternoon and then being in a minor skirmish off and on with that person for an hour or so.

Tom C

Last edited by btcarfagno; 05-07-2017 at 05:32 PM.
Old 05-07-2017, 05:45 PM
Matthew
Ma.tt Wy.llie

They obviously kept extending it because nobody was bidding on the majority of the lots. I can't imagine people were up all night placing a bid once every 15 minutes. Is that possible?

What did you guys win?
Old 05-07-2017, 05:57 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

I avoid them. Problem solved.
Old 05-07-2017, 06:00 PM
Dave Grob

Default Steiner Auctions

I won the Jerry Zimmerman bat and was beyond thrilled that they decided to “phone in” the description on the Lot (#59).

Lot Description: Jerry Zimmerman was an American professional baseball player and coach. He played all or part of eight seasons in Major League Baseball for the Cincinnati Reds and the Minnesota Twins from 1961 to 1968, primarily as a catcher.

Wikipedia Entry for Jerry Zimmerman: Gerald Robert Zimmerman (September 21, 1934 – September 9, 1998) was an American professional baseball player and coach. He played all or part of eight seasons in Major League Baseball for the Cincinnati Reds and the Minnesota Twins from 1961 to 1968, primarily as a catcher. Born in Omaha, Nebraska, he attended Milwaukie High School in Oregon.

Zimmerman is considered the primary catcher for the 1961 Reds National League Champion team (76 game to 52 for Johnny Edwards) and also played on the 1965 Twins World Series team. Anyone who has ever tried to put together a team set of game used bats from a season such as these knows that players like Zimmerman are much much tougher than the stars. I have been looking for a Zimmerman bat for almost a decade. I tried to buy one a few years ago for $850 and couldn't because it was part of a 1965 Twins set.

Getting this one today ($120 with hammer) now gives me a game used bat of every position player on the 1961 Reds team who appeared in more than 70 games that year.

Dave Grob
Old 05-07-2017, 06:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
I won the Jerry Zimmerman bat and was beyond thrilled that they decided to “phone in” the description on the Lot (#59).

Lot Description: Jerry Zimmerman was an American professional baseball player and coach. He played all or part of eight seasons in Major League Baseball for the Cincinnati Reds and the Minnesota Twins from 1961 to 1968, primarily as a catcher.

Wikipedia Entry for Jerry Zimmerman: Gerald Robert Zimmerman (September 21, 1934 – September 9, 1998) was an American professional baseball player and coach. He played all or part of eight seasons in Major League Baseball for the Cincinnati Reds and the Minnesota Twins from 1961 to 1968, primarily as a catcher. Born in Omaha, Nebraska, he attended Milwaukie High School in Oregon.

Zimmerman is considered the primary catcher for the 1961 Reds National League Champion team (76 game to 52 for Johnny Edwards) and also played on the 1965 Twins World Series team. Anyone who has ever tried to put together a team set of game used bats from a season such as these knows that players like Zimmerman are much much tougher than the stars. I have been looking for a Zimmerman bat for almost a decade. I tried to buy one a few years ago for $850 and couldn't because it was part of a 1965 Twins set.

Getting this one today ($120 with hammer) now gives me a game used bat of every position player on the 1961 Reds team who appeared in more than 70 games that year.

Dave Grob
that's awesome. so nice to read a story like this about real collecting instead of what the "market" might be for jerry zimmerman bats and-or why this one sold for "below Market."
Old 05-07-2017, 06:27 PM
T0m C@rf@gn0

I got the Wajo original centennial stamp artwork. But am more interested in what is on the back in the item in the second picture.

Tom C
Old 05-07-2017, 06:53 PM
Matthew
Ma.tt Wy.llie

I had my eye on a Mickey Mantle baseball but the price escalated to a level I wasnt comfortable with paying pretty quickly. The Mantles were the few items that seemed to sell for more than I was expecting.
Old 05-07-2017, 07:07 PM
T0m C@rf@gn0

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjim View Post
I had my eye on a Mickey Mantle baseball but the price escalated to a level I wasnt comfortable with paying pretty quickly. The Mantles were the few items that seemed to sell for more than I was expecting.
Steiner auction. Yankees. Steiner. Yankees.

Tom C
Old 05-07-2017, 07:18 PM
Matthew
Ma.tt Wy.llie

Quote:
Originally Posted by btcarfagno View Post
Steiner auction. Yankees. Steiner. Yankees.

Tom C
I know, I know.... 😀
Old 05-07-2017, 07:26 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Congrats on conquering your quest. (assuming that was your quest )

Quote:

Dave Grob
Old 05-07-2017, 07:35 PM
Rob

Quote:

Dave Grob
I think it's great that you were able to complete what must have been kind of a tough collection of bats....and at a cheap price, to boot. Congrats!
Old 05-07-2017, 08:13 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

Dave,
I am wondering why you are so anti Steiner considering you got your item for what is considered way below market value for a great item. I have no love for Steiner, but I have won an item from them in the past. Mine too was significantly discounted. Anyways, I assume you are upset that you wanted the item so bad that you had to pretty much monitor the auction to ensure you got it, but in the end you did really well. I would assume with a Steiner auction there are many middle of the road items that go for under market value because most people assume Steiner means big time prices.
Old 05-07-2017, 09:28 PM
Clint

Congrats Dave on adding a tough bat to your collection.
Old 05-08-2017, 06:10 AM
Dave Grob

Default Steiner Auctions

Thanks for all the congratulatory comments on the Zimmerman bat. Much of the Reds stuff I picked is very targeted in helping to close gaps that the Reds Hall of Fame and Museum have.

As far as my issues with Steiner, for me it is the classic example of the ends not justifying the means. When I complained about their "horrid management of extending bidding", I was told that "Almost, if not all online auctions have a 15 minute rule. Once there are no bids for 15 minutes the auction will close, with lots all closing at the same time."

1. The justification is that everyone does it has never set well with me, in any facet of life.

2. It suggests that all applications of the "15 minute rule" are the same and that Steiner is powerless to control the application of this rule.

3. It suggests I had not read the auction rules and needed to be reminded of them.

In their (Steiner's defense), I did read the rules they posted, and I registered and bid in their auction. They did exactly what they said they would do and I got in bed with this. But just because I may have met my future wife on the Titanic, doesn't mean I need to or want to book another cruise with the White Star Line.

Dave Grob
Old 05-08-2017, 07:08 AM
Ja.son Hugh.es

No big deal, I just figured you should be happy you got it so cheap, despite the auction drama. I have to admit that it would be quite aggravating to have to "monitor" an auction to ensure you get the item as you have been looking for so long.

BTW, I have read a number of detailed game worn articles you have written and I appreciate the detailed analysis you go in to when evaluating. It's nice to be able to learn something new nowadays. I have been meaning to pick up a copy of the new book you just put out. Take care, Jason