NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-30-2008, 01:20 PM
Administrator

Default PSA......HAS THIS EVER HAPPENED TO YOU?

Posted By: Paul Grubor

I sent in 45 absolutley gorgeous cards, and as an authorized dealer, I pretty much know exacly how to number them and write them up (not that difficult).
Well I just looked on the PSA site and my 45 cards are finished but the problem is, they're not in the order of the three sheets I wrote them on. This has NEVER happened to me before and I've been a PSA dealer for over 10 years. I paid $14.00 per card for the 5 business days guarantee and it took them nine business days. I asked for some sort of refund/credit and they told me "those are approximate times".

Part of the submission was from a collection that included over 15,000 1971's so I sent in 5 of those and 2 graded 9, 1 graded 8 and the other two were evidence of trimming! These cards are from a person that opened thousands upon thousands of packs in the late 60's and early 70's. There is NO WAY those two cards were trimmed. One of the cards was the most beautiful 71 Aaron I've ever seen. When I get that package back, I'm sending those 2 trimmed cards along with two others that were minimum size requirements to SGC for comparison. I'll keep you posted on the results.

Paul Grubor

Old 05-30-2008, 02:48 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve

I had a recent card rejected for "recoloring". I'd personally pulled this card from a fresh pack and immediately slid into a top loader never to be touched again -16 years ago... Just resub and hope for a different pair of peepers.

Old 05-30-2008, 06:50 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jason

The only real confusion of grading that I received was a 33 Goudey Foxx that I sent to PSA and it got graded a 1. I usually don't gripe about grades and when they do surprise me I can usually figure out what they noticed and can live with the grade. This one I couldn't. So I sent it to SGC and it came back as an SGC 40. This was about 4 years ago or so. I haven't sent a card to PSA since. (Not because of the Foxx episode, plus I still buy PSA cards and am usually happy with them)

Old 05-30-2008, 07:02 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rob

the two stories about that show PSA incorrectly deeming cards as altered can't make you feel good about them at all. Steve, why would you give them MORE money to grade your card that you already know is legit/authentic/unaltered? What if they return it as altered again? Its obvious that they don't know what they're doing.

maybe i'm looking at this wrong. thank god its friday, ugh.

Rob

Old 05-30-2008, 09:44 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve

Rob, I couldn't care less about numerical grades, my stuff is mostly Poor-Fair-Good ... I slab mainly for authentication and as I shouldn't need to sell to retire, this provides legitimacy for my unknowledgeable heirs who will drop my collection like a bag of dirt. Also, the holders prevent my armpit cardboard from additional damage.

Regarding the card mentioned above, It is a tough Draft Picks insert that I won't be resubmitting for a long while.

Old 06-03-2008, 01:34 PM
Administrator

Posted By: paul grubor

OK guys...Is this card trimmed? This is the Aaron from a virgin collection that was graded evid trim. I did match it up to other 1971's and yes, it is a 1/64th narrower than my other 71's but does does that mean its trimmed? I'm so confused by this minsizerq and evid trim that I guess a card has to be exactly 2.5 X 3.5 to get graded. I'm sending two 1971's back to psa because I need to know what side they think is trimmed. I've been in this business since 1983 and I would bet anything, these cards were not trimmed. When I examine the edges what am I supposed to look for on a trimmed card? Any help would really be appreciated.

Thanks,

Paul

Old 06-03-2008, 03:01 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brad Larson

I would rather have them be over cautious than let undersized cards fly through without question. I think if they find a slightly undersized card, they should do some research (as there are tell tale signs of trimming like paper color, etc.), before deeming them trimmed. On the other hand, I understand you're frusteration, but since the card is actually undersized, I don't think you can put all the blame on them. Like we all know, grading is done by humans, so we're gonna experience some errors no matter which company you decide to go with.

Also, since this was from a large collection, and you really have no way of knowing for sure that this card is not trimmed, you can't entirely blame PSA for giving their opinion on it. Especially given the fact that it is undersized.

Also, PSA's turnaround times have been "estimated" for many months.

Hope everything works out for you.

Old 06-04-2008, 08:21 AM
Administrator

Posted By: James Gallo

I had them return a 1993 Derek Jetter Rookie that I pulled from a sealed set. I knew it was fine, after I sent it back in, it got a 9. You could call them up and request a review, I don't think they will charge you for this, but I am not sure.

Good luck.

James G

Looking for 1915 Cracker Jacks and 1909-11 American Caramel E90-1.

Old 06-04-2008, 08:49 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bill

Should then translate to approximate prices. Meaning, if they cannot get the card graded in the timespan you checked off and paid for, you get a credit/refund for each day past that service requested. A small percentage but something to help with customer service. They can keep the customers and get a fire under their butts to grade on time.

Oh wait, I just hit my head and came back to reality. Disregard...

Change your socks, drink water, and drive on.

Old 06-04-2008, 08:55 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian

While I was putting together a 1915 and 1914 Cracker Jack set, I bought several raw cards, I checked dimensions as they came in and everything checked out. I sent them to PSA, and out of a lot of 6 cards that I sent, 2 were graded, 4 came back "evidence of trimming". I was bummed, but forged on. I made the decision to register the set with PSA, so I crossed a ton of cards over, and resubmitted these cards with the request of holdering them in "authentic" cases, IN THE HOLDERS THAT STILL HAD THE "EVIDENCE OF TRIMMING" STICKERS ON THEM.

the result?

two PSA 3's one PSA 4 and a PSA 2.

Old 06-04-2008, 09:08 AM
Administrator

Posted By: James Gallo

PSA is HORRIBLE with Cracker Jack grading. I think the biggest issue they have is with card that have diamond cuts.

I find it VERY funny that you sent in cards in PSA slabs that said trimmed and then they put them in holders with grades :-D

Ahhh PSA...

James G

Looking for 1915 Cracker Jacks and 1909-11 American Caramel E90-1.

Old 06-04-2008, 09:33 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jason

Well to be fair. To get grades on cards you asked to be put in authenticated "Trimmed" holders implies they realized the error of their ways the first time around. Probably someone with more experience with CJ's saw them the second time. Of course, there should be some sort of checking or second opinion before stuff like that is deemed altered.

Old 06-04-2008, 10:44 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian

My thoughts as well, a more experienced eye falls on the cards and they are graded as non altered cards, it just seemed funny to get such a different result out of 2 times through the grading process.