NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-26-2010, 04:51 PM
David Bowden

Default Charity Auction!?

I was drawn to Net54 from a charity auction a few years ago. I am suggesting the members do another one. I am not for or against any charity(or auction platform). Just would like to pass on our good fortune to others. Many have sold on the b/s/t not only to sell to our fellow collectors, but to save a few dollars. Ths is the time I ask to give back, no matter how small. Any suggestions?
Old 04-26-2010, 05:39 PM
Tim

David,

I think it's a great idea and would be happy to help or participate.
Old 04-26-2010, 06:23 PM
Brandon Brown

I have an item I am willing to put up for a charity auction. If we get the ball rolling on this, feel free to email me!

Brandon
Old 04-26-2010, 07:55 PM

I would like to participate in this as well. Perhaps a forum-run auction format using donated cards/items from members here? I have a few nicer cards I dont mind parting with for a good cause.
Old 04-26-2010, 08:14 PM
David Bowden

If there is any "elder" board member or moderator that would like to take this on, I am sure it would garner much more support.
Old 04-26-2010, 08:34 PM
Tim

David -

Here's a suggestion.

1) Pick a charity. (I vote St Jude's)

2) Have members that want to participate list the cards in the B/S/T auction section with a common end date and **Charity Auction** note in the title.

3) Once the transaction is complete with each listing have the seller send one person the money.

4) Have the collector of the funds make the one contribution to the charity.

Even if participation is limited it's something and doesn't infringe upon anyone that doesn't want to participate.
Old 04-26-2010, 09:00 PM

Default Donation

I would be willing to donate our software free of charge. We have a charity site that could be set up in minutes to host the charity auction if desired.

Bob
Old 04-26-2010, 09:07 PM
Dan Bretta

I think it should be a children's charity. (St Jude's ???) But, I think we need to make sure that ALL of the money goes to the intended target of the charity...some of these charities out there have huge overhead and costs and very little of the money actually makes it to the intended target.
Old 04-26-2010, 09:12 PM
Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidekellyslide View Post
I think it should be a children's charity. (St Jude's ???)
Dan that was my thinking exactly. This board seems to be very heavy with family oriented members and a children's charity would be fitting I think.

I'm not trying to hijack David's idea but want to volunteer as much of my efforts as possible to insure that as much if not all of the money raised goes to the charity.
Old 04-26-2010, 09:14 PM
Brandon Brown

Default St. Jude's

Is a great charity. I would definitely vote for them as the organization to donate to. Another good charity to think about that benefits children is the Ronald McDonald House. Again, please email me when everything gets set up!

Brandon
browncow75@gmail.com
Old 04-26-2010, 09:53 PM
David Bowden

As I have 7 children, St. Jude's sounds great!
Old 04-26-2010, 10:22 PM

Default charity

I organized the two previous Net54 charity auctions and would be happy to do so again. I stopped this year after politics got in the way with selecting a charity. It was just really frustrating.

I'm sure Heritage would let us sell through them again, or we can choose another auction house, or heck... B&L it up!

-Kyle
Old 04-27-2010, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylebicking View Post
I organized the two previous Net54 charity auctions and would be happy to do so again. I stopped this year after politics got in the way with selecting a charity. It was just really frustrating.

I'm sure Heritage would let us sell through them again, or we can choose another auction house, or heck... B&L it up!

-Kyle

Member Bob Freedman offered the auction software as a donation. By keeping this "in house" I think we can accomplish Dan's goal of 100% proceeds directly to the charity! As I have participated in a similar type of charity on the CU boards, may I make a suggestion? If all of the winning bids get sent to Leon , then he can PM the donors to send out the cards. For instance, member "x" bids (and wins) on my donated card. Member "x" then sends a money order to Leon. Leon then sends me a PM stating its ok to ship the card.

That format worked great on the CU auction. As long as Leon is willing to cash a few money orders and get a total proceeds check out to the charity.
Old 04-27-2010, 04:48 AM

Let me break the ice and get the goodwill ball rolling. I will commit the following lot to the 2010 Net 54 Charity auction.

Offered here is a 4 card T206 lot featuring a beautiful pair of American Beauty 350 backs as well as a Sovereign 150, and a highly sought after Carolina Brights. Although the Carolina Brights card does suffer serious paper loss, it presents well and would be a nice filler for the beginners collection.
Opening Bid $100....Estimate $300+

Old 04-27-2010, 05:00 AM
Banned

Quote:

-Kyle
Hi Kyle,

If you'll organize this, and the Net54 lot is again part of an auction house's auction (which will help ensure the most possible money is raised), I'm on board again. Please keep us posted.
Old 04-27-2010, 06:26 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default will help

I will help and utilize the board any way possible to help. I will also donate to the cause. Just let me know what ya'll want to do. Very nice gesture by all involved. St.Judes or anything to help children is always good. best regards
Old 04-27-2010, 06:47 AM

Default auction

I feel the best way to do it is to have one or two large lots in an actual auction, versus selling multiple individually donated groups on the board. I'd imagine that the charity auctions in the past with REA and HA generated a lot of web hits to Net54... and being linked helped generate some very substantial bids. The REA lot sold for a lot of money.
Old 04-27-2010, 06:53 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default good idea

Quote:
I feel the best way to do it is to have one or two large lots in an actual auction, versus selling multiple individually donated groups on the board. I'd imagine that the charity auctions in the past with REA and HA generated a lot of web hits to Net54... and being linked helped generate some very substantial bids. The REA lot sold for a lot of money.
Since we are using Net54 to get it going I would like to use one of our sponsor advertisers to do this. I am sure if I consult with any of them they will be willing to help. Maybe we pick one of them that has an auction in the next few months and go from there? I am open to any suggestions though, not just this one. regards

ps...I am not so concerned about web hits to Net54, we get quite a few already. I am more concerned about getting the most money we can to donate to a good cause.
Old 04-27-2010, 07:58 AM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Leon--Why not see if you can get the lot included in one of the live auctions at the National. BTW, I will contribute also.
Old 04-27-2010, 07:59 AM

Default web hits

Hey Leon... I didn't mean to come across that web hits are important, but its a nice free perk out of the whole ordeal. I 100% agree that the charity is the #1 priority in every auction's case.

If you wouldn't mind consulting with the current advertisers, find an upcoming auction that will give us through the end of May to collect, catalogue and ship to the auction house, that would be great.

-Kyle
Old 04-27-2010, 08:00 AM
Joe M.

My son is a Director at St Jude Hospital in Memphis TN, I can call him to see how the money should be sent to that organization. His responsibilities are to raise Money for St. Jude. His office is at the Hospital in Memphis. LMK if you want me to do this.

I am going golfing right now, so I won't be reading any emails until later in the day.
Joe
Old 04-27-2010, 08:37 AM

Default i want to donate

i have some material to add to the bounty; drop me a line and i will keep an eye on this post to help.
jim
Old 04-27-2010, 08:43 AM
Alan Zimmerman

Default I don't have much...

..but I'll gladly add it to the lot. Keep me in the loop/on the mailing list.

Alan
Old 04-27-2010, 08:55 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default Jay et al...

Hey Jay
That is a good idea about the live auction. The only thing with that is that it's still over 3 mos away. It is certainly an option.

Joe- we might take you up on your offer to get us in touch with your son at St.Judes, once it is decided that that is the choice. I don't want to be a ball hog here.....so it's up to our whole community. I just did a quick look at the St.Judes websites....wow, if you want to shed a tear hop on over there. There are certainly different charities but there just can't be a "better" one, at least not in my mind.

Please keep the feedback flowing in this thread.....
Old 04-27-2010, 09:15 AM
Banned

I would shy away from the Legendary/National live auction idea. I think the Net54 lot would get lost in the shuffle with all of the high-priced headliners that typically comprise that auction. It's just the wrong venue.

Plus, because it's a live auction, I think you'd lose a lot of potential bidders. Even though folks who don't attend can place bids, we've had numerous threads in which collectors have expressed hesitancy at bidding in live auctions that they don't attend.

Finally, because many board members previously have expressed their intent never to do business with Legendary/Mastro given the company's history, why go that route when there are plenty of less-controversial auction houses?

I think Huggins & Scott would be a good fit if they're willing. Many of their lots are similar to the type we'd be putting together.

Last edited by Rob D.; 04-27-2010 at 09:17 AM.
Old 04-27-2010, 09:25 AM
John Hanssen

Default St.Judes

St.Judes would be my #1 choice - well worth a donation form me
Old 04-27-2010, 02:51 PM
Brandon Brown

Goodwin has an auction planned for July, perhaps Bill would host a "mini auction" for donations from Net54 prior to the main auction? Either that or just a few combo lots of our donations in the main July auction. Just throwing out ideas!

Brandon
Old 04-27-2010, 02:58 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Rob--Heritage is also having a live auction at the National. I'm not married to the idea. I just have seen the live bidding and, once the bar is open, bidding gets spirited (sorry!).
Old 04-27-2010, 03:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
Rob--Heritage is also having a live auction at the National. I'm not married to the idea. I just have seen the live bidding and, once the bar is open, bidding gets spirited (sorry!).
Didn't know Heritage was having one, too.
Old 04-28-2010, 09:37 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default Heritage Live Auction at the National

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob D. View Post
Didn't know Heritage was having one, too.
I saw Chris Ivy yesterday and he says they have some great stuff already, for their live auction. I think the planned date is the same day as the Legendary Live Auction. Maybe there is a shuttle that can take us back and forth between the two? I will be needing a designated driver.
Old 04-29-2010, 07:27 AM
Scott Levy

I will contribute as well. Let's choose an auction that begins and ends somewhat soon so that we keep positive momentum.

-Scott