NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-25-2007, 08:18 PM
Administrator

Default Thought this might slip by at HUNT auction

Posted By: Jim Clarke

I was wrong... I tried bidding twice the expected amount... No go

http://www.huntauctions.com/online/imageviewer.cfm?auction_num=30&lot_num=898&lot_qual=

http://www.huntauctions.com/online/imageviewer.cfm?auction_num=30&lot_num=547&lot_qual=

Old 02-25-2007, 08:48 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian

Was anyone else surprised by the price of this Ruth and some of the other cards, including the Maple Crispette Ruth?
By contrast, I thought the photos were more "reasonably" priced and picked up a couple.
Brian

Old 02-25-2007, 08:58 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Glenn

I'm not familiar with the grading of silks, but VG-EX for that? What must Good look like?

Old 02-25-2007, 09:12 PM
Administrator

Posted By: BRAD

Not all! I believe Maple card are extremely undervalued and there finally getting the respect that they deserve.
http://www.huntauctions.com/online/imageviewer.cfm?auction_num=30&lot_num=904&lot_qual=&url_referer=view_featured_items_list.cfm

I personal only know of 12 Maple Ruth's to exist.
( Virtual Maple Crispette Babe Ruth Cards)
http://s79.photobucket.com/albums/j136/MapleCrispetteV117/Virtual%20Maple%20Crispette%20Babe%20Ruth%20Cards

Mastro Auction ~ Maple Ruth (Did it really sell for that low price? (I'd just buy it back, Right!)
http://www.mastronet.com/index.cfm?action=DisplayContent&ContentName=Lot%20Information&LotIndex=65973&CurrentRow=1

Old 02-25-2007, 10:52 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Cat

I was really hoping to get that DiMaggio Zeenut (sin Coupon). It opened at $2,250 which generally means that the highest FAXed bid was $2,000. Most of the Hunt lots that I have bid on tend to only get a few bids since the FAXed bids are fairly competitive. So I had a good feeling at the start. Another bidder and myself slugged it out until the other bidder won it at $4,500 + vig. DANG!!! I probably should have gone one more bid.

Edited to say: It would not mean that the HIGHEST faxed bid was $2,000. It would mean that the SECOND highest FAXed bid was $2000, to push the opening bid to phone callers to $2,250.

Old 02-25-2007, 11:34 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jim Clarke

Probally not a bad idea to go a little higher on the Dimaggio.. Rookie card and zeenuts are just now becoming very popular....

Old 02-25-2007, 11:51 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Richard

Jim, I agree. They are becoming popular and are extremely undervalued.

Old 02-26-2007, 06:59 AM
Administrator

Thanks guys. I feel a lot better.

Old 02-26-2007, 07:00 AM
Administrator

Brad,
that was my basis for not bidding higher on the Maple Ruth. I did think the Mastro was incredibly "cheap," in retrospect, and had immediately regretted not going higher when the Mastro auction ended. But the one in the Hunt auction had a huge crease, making it less appealing.

Question about that DiMaggio Zeenut--I assume that a grading company will give it a numerical grade??

Also, did the other lot of Zeenuts fetch a high price because the coupons were intact or because there was a Rosenberg in the pile?

Brian

Old 02-26-2007, 09:48 AM
Administrator

The auction moves pretty fast, so it is somewhat hard to keep up especially if you are on the phone. The other set of Zeenuts with coupons attached is one of the three lots that I "bid" on. I passed on that lot without officially putting a bid in since the opening was higher than I wanted to go (again, you have to be willing to beat any FAXed bids and that is why some start pretty high if you are bidding by phone). I believe that lot ended at $675.

Old 02-26-2007, 02:40 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Hal Lewis

The Maple Ruth in the last Mastro auction was mine...

and I was peeved that it went so cheap.

You guys really let me down!!!

If nothing else... it just goes to show that I don't shill bid on my own stuff.

Old 02-26-2007, 02:53 PM
Administrator

Posted By: cmoking

The last few sales I've seen for SGC 30 Maple Crispette Ruths were $800, $826 and then the WTF price on the card in the Hunt auction. Good for you that you got a good price. I hope you are kidding thinking it went cheap.

Old 02-26-2007, 04:34 PM
Administrator

Posted By: BRAD

Cmoking,

Your right about the SGC 30 Maple Ruth selling for around $800.00 on EBay year ago (I was very please to find one so cheap!)

I sold the same card 4 months later for $2300.00!
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Like I said before Maple cards are extremely undervalued!

The Mastro Maple Ruth sold for very cheap (IMO) if you look at the price guide in EX condition its list at $3000.00, NM $7250.00 (I think that card is worth 5+K if not more!).

Old 02-26-2007, 04:56 PM
Administrator

Hal, I agree your Maple Ruth was very nice, and if you have another one, please let me know! I will do better than what you got in Mastro. I was not willing to pay $2800+BP yesterday for a card with a major crease through the Babe's mouth.
If anyone else has a Maple Ruth, please let me know.
Brian

PS how does the Crispette Cobb compare in rarity? I have seen far fewer Cobbs than Ruths. It went for $900 less than the Ruth and is in better shape.

Old 02-26-2007, 05:04 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brad

Hunt Crispette Cobb: That's the nicest V117 Cobb I have ever seen! I think ones graded higher, only 5-7 known to exist ($1900.00 was very cheap!)
http://www.huntauctions.com/online/imageviewer.cfm?auction_num=30&lot_num=907&lot_qual=&url_referer=view_featured_items_list.cfm

Old 02-26-2007, 05:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: cmoking

Brad, thanks for the data point, always useful info.

Old 02-26-2007, 05:27 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Richard

Rarity does not always equate to stoopid prices. There may be 5-7 Maple Crispette Cobbs, but how many Kotton Type 2 Cobbs have you ever seen? Maybe 1? Would that single example be worth 10-20k or more?

Canadian issues are also often underappreciated because they are Canadian. Look at the WWG counterparts to the 33 and 34 Goudey sets. Much rarer, but worth less. The 1936 WWG and the 1937 OPC is rarely even considered Joe D's rookie by the mainstream. Instead the 38 Goudey is. Unfair? Maybe. Maybe things will change in the future.

Old 02-26-2007, 05:43 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brad

Maples Crispette Cards (Basaeball)

1)A B&W set of 30 cards with 14 hofers

2)Yes their very rare! why? Cards were redeemed (as advertised on the reverse) for prizes!

3)Is there any other per war set from Montreal Canada, 1st?? Montreal has always been a baseball town (oldest city in North America) and lets not forget how liberal Montreal is (Jackie Robinson!)