NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-15-2018, 08:34 AM

Understood, but there is a reasonable cost that can be associated with the sale with regard to shipping. I've bought thousands of cards on ebay over the years and maybe had 3 or 4 times when a card arrived damaged. Those were from cards thrown in a paper mailer with no protection at all. Hey, you don't mind paying 50 or 100 dollars for shipping on your cards, then by all means be my guest. As for me, I believe there's always a happy medium.

Jim
Old 05-15-2018, 09:04 AM
David Peck

Quote:
Originally Posted by soxandcubbies View Post
Understood, but there is a reasonable cost that can be associated with the sale with regard to shipping. I've bought thousands of cards on ebay over the years and maybe had 3 or 4 times when a card arrived damaged. Those were from cards thrown in a paper mailer with no protection at all. Hey, you don't mind paying 50 or 100 dollars for shipping on your cards, then by all means be my guest. As for me, I believe there's always a happy medium.

Jim

I have never purchased a card that would require such a fee as they insure the cards shipped. That said if I bought a card for 20k or 50k I wouldn't blink at paying that fee to feel confident it was coming in the condition I purchased it.

One of the major issues with collectibles is many are low population and aren't exactly replaceable at the snap of a finger. PWCC packaging and shipping takes all concern out of the equation. I think everyone has opened their mailbox with excitement to get their recent purchase and looked at the package and said "I can't believe this motherF+++++ shipped it this way!!" to themselves. Most of the time even with awful packaging the card arrives in fine condition and you move on. But what if it doesn't? The transaction went from exciting to stressful to potentially infuriating.

If I am running a business I am taking the route of dramatically higher quality shipping supplies and packing and passing it on to the customer. The first time I purchased a card from PWCC I paid $8 for shipping and thought it seemed steep. As soon as I got it in hand I was thrilled to pay it.

So many consumer business's spend a ton of money on packaging because it helps create a brand. Everything PWCC does from their listings on EBAY to their shipping to their advertising to their graphs and charts are done to build their brand. Everything is high quality.

I have never consigned a card but after dealing with both PWCC and Probstein it wouldn't even take a second of thought to make my decision and the dramatically better packaging is one of the factors in this.
Old 05-15-2018, 09:42 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dpeck100 View Post
I have never purchased a card that would require such a fee as they insure the cards shipped. That said if I bought a card for 20k or 50k I wouldn't blink at paying that fee to feel confident it was coming in the condition I purchased it.
Nor would most people who had that kind of money to spend on cards.

My problem with their shipping, and others is, it doesn't make much sense paying more or equal amounts for shipping than what you paid for the card.

I was glad to read the OP got a rebate. I asked once, after winning a $20 card from them if there was anything they could do with the shipping, but all I got was a sorry, those are our fees.

I knew the cost going in so it's no ones fault but mine, but after that transaction, and others, I quickly started looking around a little more carefully/patiently and found many others out there who don't charge near what they charge, and that was before they raised their current shipping fees.
Old 05-15-2018, 11:34 AM

I agree with Irv.
Old 05-15-2018, 12:55 PM
Bob Davies

Quote:
Originally Posted by irv View Post
Nor would most people who had that kind of money to spend on cards.

My problem with their shipping, and others is, it doesn't make much sense paying more or equal amounts for shipping than what you paid for the card.

I was glad to read the OP got a rebate. I asked once, after winning a $20 card from them if there was anything they could do with the shipping, but all I got was a sorry, those are our fees.

I knew the cost going in so it's no ones fault but mine, but after that transaction, and others, I quickly started looking around a little more carefully/patiently and found many others out there who don't charge near what they charge, and that was before they raised their current shipping fees.
+1. I won't pay $35 shipping on a $35 card. It limits me to purchasing four figure cards (or close to it) at minimum.

Their fees were not always that high. It just sticks with me that it's a bit of a cash grab.

The good is their shipping is quick. The bad is if you win another item the next day, it's another full shipping charge.

Last edited by Stampsfan; 05-15-2018 at 12:56 PM.
Old 05-15-2018, 01:00 PM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampsfan View Post
+1. I won't pay $35 shipping on a $35 card. It limits me to purchasing four figure cards (or close to it) at minimum.

Their fees were not always that high. It just sticks with me that it's a bit of a cash grab.

The good is their shipping is quick. The bad is if you win another item the next day, it's another full shipping charge.
There are too many other sellers on Ebay other than the big two to be gouged on shipping. Period.
Old 05-15-2018, 01:16 PM
David Peck

Who is charging $35 on a $35 card?

My last purchase through PWCC was a $45 card and the shipping was $4.
Old 05-15-2018, 08:42 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Who is charging $35 on a $35 card?

My last purchase through PWCC was a $45 card and the shipping was $4.
Close enough, and in case it shows something different stateside, here it is copied.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1952-Topps-...a81&rmvSB=true

Condition:--
Ended: Mar 12, 2018 , 9:37PM
Winning bid:US $42.57
[ 13 bids ]
Shipping: $35.00 UPS Worldwide Saver
Item location:Lake Oswego, Oregon, United States
Seller:
pwcc_auctions (149593 ) | Seller's other items

Last edited by irv; 05-15-2018 at 08:44 PM.
Old 05-15-2018, 02:15 PM
James
James Kin.chen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampsfan View Post

I have bought cards from PWCC before and waited to pay because there is something else ending a day or two later that I also want. They have always combined shipping. If you win a card and pay that day then a day or two later win another one that won't combine because the first one is already packed and probably shipped.
James
Old 05-16-2018, 08:50 AM

Quote:
I think everyone has opened their mailbox with excitement to get their recent purchase and looked at the package and said "I can't believe this motherF+++++ shipped it this way!!" to themselves. Most of the time even with awful packaging the card arrives in fine condition and you move on. But what if it doesn't? The transaction went from exciting to stressful to potentially infuriating.
At least for me ... close to 100% of the time I think this is NOT because someone sent something in a flimsy manner. It's because they covered the package with enough tape to wrap an elephant, put it in a box large enough for a TV, had multiple layers of bubble wrap and taping inside ... and I need to go to school to get a PhD just so I could figure out how to open the freaking thing! And it was all for a low grade, $4 common.

Those sellers I stop buying from immediately. I figure since I'm not driving a hybrid ... this is my contribution to saving the planet. You're all welcome.

Cheers,
patrick
Old 05-16-2018, 09:16 AM

It seems like most people are blaming P.W.C.C.. and I don't think it's all their fault. I think Dale mentioned it in one of his threads. Several years ago, e-bay was going after sellers who overcharge on shipping. It was listed in e-bay's rules. It seems today that has changed. Today P.W.C.C. is considered one of the top auction houses in the country, so e-bay gets a lot of business from them. They most likely will not say anything about it. My complaint with P.W.C.C. is shipping time. Here in N.J., we have problems with U.P.S.. Packages take longer to receive from this company using U.P.S. than shipping the items first class. All card purchases are over $2000., P.W.C.C. ships U.P.S. You must contact them to request you want your shipping sent a different way.