NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 01-31-2010, 03:02 PM
Dewey St. Germaine

Default Looking for any Alameda, CA related memorabilia

I collect sports memorabilia related to my hometown of Alameda, CA. Looking for any old Alameda jerseys, Alameda Winter League signs & programs, Alameda Elks Charity Baseball Game Programs, Alameda athlete related items, etc.

If you have anything please contact me at: deweystg@berkeley.edu. Even if you are not looking to sell at this time please drop me a line, I'd like to see what's out there.

Thanks!

P.S. here is a link to my website: http://www.alamedasportsproject.com/
Old 01-31-2010, 09:45 PM

Default Alameda Oars

Hi Dewey,
I don't know how far back you're interested in but I picked up this pair of oars last summer that were made by an Alameda race boat builder named Al Rogers...They are 82 1/4" long. I believe they are 19th century competitive sweep oars based on the design. Normally I'd only be interested in decorated trophy oars but these are significant because they are a rare example of early oars made in San Francisco bay area...I wasn't really looking for a pair of oars like them, but the makers marking had me and I went back and got them....the old, get'um or you'll probably never see another pair like'um! Of course it helped they were only a Benjamin Franklin

If you review the link below you'll see Rogers indicated as from Alameda. Also below copy of an email from a rowing historian. Interestingly they are remarkably light weight in relation to their 82" length. I've got some early 12 fot long sweep oars for 8 man boats that are probably 3 times heavier.
http://74.125.155.132/search?q=cache...&ct=clnk&gl=us

....Al Rogers was a boatbuilder in the Bay Area in the late 1800s - about 1880 or so - to around 1915. As I recall, he was located in San Francisco originally, then his operation to Alameda. You can certainly email a photo of the oars: send to ___________. I would be very interested in seeing the picture. I'll look up more detail, if you like.
The South End Rowing Club had some small boats built by Rogers - mainly Whitehall boats, maybe some racing shells. The club still has a recreational barge built by Al Rogers in 1915. Currently under restoration, some consider it the "flagship" of the South End fleet. Don't count me among those, however. These was also a skiff built by Rogers at the south end of Lake Tahoe about 15 years ago at an old large home on the water...

Old 01-31-2010, 10:23 PM
Dewey St. Germaine

[QUOTE=CarltonHendricks;779308]
Hi Dewey,
I don't know how far back you're interested in but I picked up this pair of oars last summer that were made by an Alameda race boat builder named Al Rogers...They are 82 1/4" long. I believe they are 19th century competitive sweep oars based on the design. Normally I'd only be interested in decorated trophy oars but these are significant because they are a rare example of early oars made in San Francisco bay area...I wasn't really looking for a pair of oars like them, but the makers marking had me and I went back and got them....the old, get'um or you'll probably never see another pair like'um! Of course it helped they were only a Benjamin Franklin

If you review the link below you'll see Rogers indicated as from Alameda. Also below copy of an email from a rowing historian. Interestingly they are remarkably light weight in relation to their 82" length. I've got some early 12 fot long sweep oars for 8 man boats that are probably 3 times heavier.
http://74.125.155.132/search?q=cache...&ct=clnk&gl=us

....Al Rogers was a boatbuilder in the Bay Area in the late 1800s - about 1880 or so - to around 1915. As I recall, he was located in San Francisco originally, then his operation to Alameda. You can certainly email a photo of the oars: send to ___________. I would be very interested in seeing the picture. I'll look up more detail, if you like.
The South End Rowing Club had some small boats built by Rogers - mainly Whitehall boats, maybe some racing shells. The club still has a recreational barge built by Al Rogers in 1915. Currently under restoration, some consider it the "flagship" of the South End fleet. Don't count me among those, however. These was also a skiff built by Rogers at the south end of Lake Tahoe about 15 years ago at an old large home on the water...

Hi Carlton, Quite a nice and interesting piece of Bay Area rowing history you have there. I punched Al Rogers name in NewspaperArchive dot Com and it got quite a few hits. Not quite what I had in mind but let me check with the Alameda Museum and see if it is something they might be interested in. I see from another thread you frequent the Alameda Point Antique Fair. Where in the Bay Area do you live? Best, Dewey
Old 01-31-2010, 10:39 PM

Default oops

Hey Dewey, I was just trying to share it...I'm not selling it sorry for not inputing that...if you've got a database I figured you might be able to use the reference. I'm in a coffee shop in Berkeley as I write this. Feel free to drop me an email anytime...maybe I'll see you out at Alameda Point.

Old 01-31-2010, 11:55 PM
Dewey St. Germaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarltonHendricks View Post
Hey Dewey, I was just trying to share it...I'm not selling it sorry for not inputing that...if you've got a database I figured you might be able to use the reference. I'm in a coffee shop in Berkeley as I write this. Feel free to drop me an email anytime...maybe I'll see you out at Alameda Point.
Carlton, no problem and thanks for sharing it! Definitely a unique piece. I work out at UC Berkeley. You know, I don't make it out to Alameda Point that often but I will drop you a line next time I plan on going out. I went to the Oakland Museum's White Elephant Sale this morning but didn't see anything worth buying. Anyhow, thanks again and have a great week!
Old 02-01-2010, 08:13 PM

Default photos

Now that I look at this thread again, I can see how the photos might be confusing...they're from when I first saw them in an antiques mall...those aren't my price tags...white elephant sale ay?....never been...would be nice to reel in a couple Spalding trophies from the Oakland Oaks...yeah drop an email when you go to Alameda....maybe you me and olsport Paul Richards can meet up for coffee

Old 02-01-2010, 11:52 PM
Paul

Default Alameda Point and 1889 Rowing Medal

Hey Carlton- Good idea! but I think there will be rain this coming Sunday for Alameda. Who is your Rowing historian? Mabye he can help with research on my 1886 SF Bay Gold Rowing Medal. Your oars look identical to the oars at the top of the medal! Don't forget the Hillsboro Showis coming up!! What day & when you wanna go?