NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you give an opinion of a person or company your full name needs to be in your post. Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Football Cards Forum

Old 08-30-2017, 08:29 PM
Carl Lamendola

It's not a myth. The cards at the end of the sheet are tough because bowman went from a small size card to a large format. I think cards #1, 9, 63, 72 in the low series are tough in nice shape. Also, the corresponding 4 corner cards on sheet #2 (with Ronzani and Lansford in the bottom corners. Being the last card may contribute a little.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-30-2017, 08:31 PM
Carl Lamendola

If everyone posted an image of their Schweder card, I'll bet it's off center

Old 08-31-2017, 03:46 AM
Mike M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clamendo View Post
If everyone posted an image of their Schweder card, I'll bet it's off center

Yes my Scweder is off center, but the same could be said for most of my set lol, maybe with time I'll upgrade and maybe not, I'd love to have a centered set but first I just need to finish my set. I may have some time tomorrow and I'll try and scan some cards and figure out how to post them. I used to use photo bucket but I heard that's not an option now so we'll see what I can figure out.
Old 08-31-2017, 07:42 AM
Jeff P

Quote:
Originally Posted by clamendo View Post
It's not a myth. The cards at the end of the sheet are tough because bowman went from a small size card to a large format. I think cards #1, 9, 63, 72 in the low series are tough in nice shape. Also, the corresponding 4 corner cards on sheet #2 (with Ronzani and Lansford in the bottom corners. Being the last card may contribute a little.
Every population report analysis I've seen done says that it is a myth that the first and last cards in a set (in general) are found in lower grade. That's what I stated above. Cards on the borders of sheets tend to be found in lower grade with the corners particularly susceptible to damage. As the SPs in the Bowman Large set are all on the borders, this definitely makes them not only more scarce (as SPs) but more likely to be found in lower grade (as border cards).

However, there is no evidence that Lansford is found in lower grade than the rest of the SPs. Here is the current PSA on the Bowman Large SPs. Across the top is Total Population, Population at high grade (PSA 8 and above), and the percentage of high grade cards.

While the percentage of high grade cards for Lansford is on the low side, there are numerous other SPs that have a lower percentage of high grade cards. Why aren't these cards as pricey as the Lansford? The only logical explanation is that the Lansford card is perceived to be more difficult to find in higher grade due to it being the "last card in the set".

It's simply not true.

jeff
Old 08-31-2017, 05:23 PM
L@rry T1p+0n

staining? check
creases? check
staple holes? check
oh, and WAY off centered
Larry
Old 08-31-2017, 05:40 PM
Mike M.

Larry, I love your set, there is nothing like a well loved set that you can handle and enjoy. Your posts about building it helped inspire me to go after the set myself. I trully thank you for that, it was fun to see your journey on building it.

Here is a sample of my 1952 Bowman larges:

Last edited by mmier118; 08-31-2017 at 05:49 PM.
Old 08-31-2017, 05:42 PM
Mike M.

Ok a few more since I love this set so much:

Old 08-31-2017, 06:04 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmier118 View Post
Ok a few more since I love this set so much:

Holy cow, Mike, please stop!! Just kidding...those are really nice!! Thanks for sharing. Maybe someday I will be able to build a set like that. Is your entire set graded??

I also give Larry BIG kudos. He is an inspiration!
Old 08-31-2017, 07:55 PM
Mike M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagebaseballcardguy View Post
Holy cow, Mike, please stop!! Just kidding...those are really nice!! Thanks for sharing. Maybe someday I will be able to build a set like that. Is your entire set graded??

I also give Larry BIG kudos. He is an inspiration!
I didn't originally intend to go for a graded set, but I liked the set so much and I started looking at the populations, and the set registry and decided to go for the whole set in psa. I'm probably about 35 to 40 cards short of a graded set but I have all the stars and almost all the sp's. I was surprised that there are only 10 complete sets on the psa registry. I've never done a registry set and don't know if I'll put this on there when complete but it's something I will consider. If you decide to go for it I would say it's a fun journey and at only 144 cards it's a good size where you feel you are always making progress.
Old 08-31-2017, 08:27 PM
Jeff P

Awesome cards, Mike! Love that Otto Graham.

jeff