NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 03-31-2014, 09:21 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

Default Buck Weaver / Lee Quillen items / cabinet photos HELP

I was set up at a show this past weekend and a middle aged couple came in with some very nice items. The items originate from Lee Quillen (Quillin) who played for the Minneapolis Millers, Denver Bears / Grizzlies and Duluth (MN) White Sox. The cabinet photos are approximately 11x14 and the individual photo is about 25-30 inches tall. The one with the cards is probably 20 inches wide. Here are my questions:

1. This isn't George "Buck" Weaver is it? It looks too old to be him, but they both have some flared ears and Buck Weaver was with the White Sox in his rookie season of 1912. The individual photos appear to be thicker card stock, but I am not familiar with these if they are cards. Dutch Leonard is also in the group.

2. Please give me your estimates on values of each. I told them some prices based on what I know, but I am looking for additional help from photo experts as these are minor league items and I don't know what kind of interest Denver items would bring. I do know they are very nice.

Thanks for the help. Jason

Last edited by Duluth Eskimo; 07-24-2015 at 09:34 PM.
Old 03-31-2014, 10:34 PM
Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duluth Eskimo View Post
1. This isn't George "Buck" Weaver is it? It looks too old to be him, but they both have some flared ears and Buck Weaver was with the White Sox in his rookie season of 1912.
Not Buck Weaver - not even close. All facial features are quite different, and Weaver's ears stick out a lot more.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Buck Weaver 55.jpg (13.2 KB, 260 views)
File Type: jpg Buck Weaver not photo 1 (1).jpg (37.3 KB, 263 views)

Last edited by bmarlowe1; 03-31-2014 at 10:45 PM.
Old 03-31-2014, 10:36 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

I saw the same photos in my research. Thanks, Jason
Old 03-31-2014, 11:10 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

If they're all original, Quillen is pictured in each and the Quillen provenance is documentable/provable, then I'd say $2,000+ for the lot. Just a rough guess. If they're original, each is probably one of a kind (unique) and Quillen was a Major Leaguer and T206 player. For an example, if the one Duluth team photo was mine, I'd offer it for $500+. If original, the biggest one with the 'cards' was once quite a display piece, but has seen better days, perhaps is homemade, and I assume the names on the cards were added later. Duly note, all those photos are types that would be given to a team member, so the provenance is believable. Due to the huge size, the single player photo is quite unusual and rare and it shows a Minneapolis Millers player (I assume Quillen) which is a popular team. A unique collection. And my estimate is based on that that guy not being Buck Weaver.

P.s. the photos all appear genuine/original in your picks, though, as said, the writing on the 'cards' no doubt was added later, perhaps much later.

Last edited by drcy; 03-31-2014 at 11:29 PM.
Old 03-31-2014, 11:22 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

Thanks for the info, they're all original.
Old 03-31-2014, 11:34 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

As it's a unique, never before seen collection, and it's hard to predict what specific bidders would bid, pricing is guessing.
Old 04-01-2014, 05:01 AM

Jason,
The HB "Dutch" Leonard signed photo at the bottom is a scarce one and could command a price of $1000 or more IMHO by itself.

This is an item that I would be interested in personally. I cannot see the full year of this Grizzly team, but I'm assuming it is 1912. This was the only year that "Dutch" is reported to have played for the Grizzly's...

Definitely a terrific and unique collection, needless to say!

Last edited by Scott Garner; 04-01-2014 at 05:15 AM.
Old 04-01-2014, 07:23 AM

Quote:
This isn't George "Buck" Weaver is it?
Nobody named Weaver played for Denver that season; it may be a coach. I've attached below the Spalding Guide photo of the team, with names.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg spaldingsbaseb9131914chic_0200.jpg (77.6 KB, 235 views)
Old 04-01-2014, 09:06 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Garner View Post
Jason,
The HB "Dutch" Leonard signed photo at the bottom is a scarce one and could command a price of $1000 or more IMHO by itself.

This is an item that I would be interested in personally. I cannot see the full year of this Grizzly team, but I'm assuming it is 1912. This was the only year that "Dutch" is reported to have played for the Grizzly's...

Definitely a terrific and unique collection, needless to say!
Scott,
Thanks for the info. I am not sure that they are autographs or just labeled by someone for each team member. A number of letter formations look very much the same.

Still hoping for more opinions and just for the record, I do not own them yet.
Old 04-02-2014, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Scott,
Thanks for the info. I am not sure that they are autographs or just labeled by someone for each team member. A number of letter formations look very much the same.

Still hoping for more opinions and just for the record, I do not own them yet.
Jason,
I believe you are correct.
Upon very close inspection, it does appear that the "Dutch" Leonard name written on this photo is not in Leonard's hand.

That being said, it's a terrific collection of early photos of this Grizzly team. Very cool!
Old 04-02-2014, 11:42 AM
M@rk V3l@rd3

When looking at all of the individual photos together, it appears that all the writing is the same level of darkness and flow. This suggest to me they were all done by the same person.

Other interests/sets/collectibles.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/96571220@N08/albums

My for sale or trade photobucket album
https://flic.kr/s/aHsk7c1SRL
Old 04-02-2014, 11:52 AM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

As I said, it's guesstimate based on experience and judging the rarity and quality of the photos.

$300-600 for the team photos if in nice shape. Any cabinet-style display photos of minor league teams are scarce, and these show a Major Leaguer and belonged to him. 90 percent of cabinet-style team photos seem to be of high school, junior high, casual teams and similar, a majority unidentified. You just don't see many of identified and dated minor league teams.

$250 and up for the composite. It's in very rough shape but is one of a kind. If you removed the individual player photos, were able to identify the palyers and sold them singly (I said 'if,' not that you should), they could sell $20+ each. That's $300+ right there.

$300-$500. Need to find the right buyer but it's a one of a kind, giant photo of a Miller that belonged to the player. Unique Minneapolis Miller display item and there are Millers collectors out there. The Millers are one of the most collectable old time minor league teams out there, up there with Pacific Coast League teams.

As I said, each item is probably unique, and definitely unique if you include the fact they belonged to a T206 player. With the T206 White Sox player provenance, the value, rarity and desirability is only enhanced. Famous or otherwise significant provenance adds to the value of photos. A 1985 Yankees team photo that is known to have belonged to George Steinbrenner or hung on the wall at Yankee Stadium will sell for more than the same photo without special provenance.

One thing about them is they're obscure and esoteric. Someone familiar in the area will realize their rarity and significance, but it's not as if they are New York Yankees photos where everyone and his uncle will instantly see the significance. On the other hand, the two team photos have clear display value to anyone who sees them.

Last edited by drcy; 04-02-2014 at 12:46 PM.
Old 04-02-2014, 01:33 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

Thanks David. That is the level that I told them, but I am not an expert on items like that. I just wanted to make sure I was being fair with them. Jason
Old 04-02-2014, 06:08 PM
Mark

Jason - Could you post a close-up of Charlie French? No doubt that's him, but I could use it for future reference.

Thanks,
Mark

Last edited by bmarlowe1; 04-02-2014 at 06:08 PM.
Old 04-03-2014, 07:27 AM
Don Stokes

The player named Weaver is Art Weaver who played on the 1910 team and was cut from the 1911 team.Below shows Weaver in a newspaper showing 1911 team and Weaver is #7.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1911 denver.jpg (61.2 KB, 114 views)
Old 04-05-2014, 05:02 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

Thanks for the info Don. Looks right, but I didn't think Art went by "Buck" per my research. Looks like the same guy to me though.

Mark, sorry for the delay. It was a busy week at work. Unfortunately this is as close as I can get for Charlie French. Hope it helps. Jason

Last edited by Duluth Eskimo; 07-24-2015 at 09:34 PM.
Old 04-05-2014, 08:24 PM
Mark

Thanks Jason.
Old 04-06-2014, 09:15 AM
Don Stokes

Quote:
Thanks for the info Don. Looks right, but I didn't think Art went by "Buck" per my research. Looks like the same guy to me though.
Jason, Here's where they called him Buck with the 1903 St. Louis Cardinals Spring camp and with the 1904 Minneapolis Millers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg art weaver 1903.jpg (77.9 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg art weaver 1904.jpg (63.2 KB, 64 views)

Last edited by Dto7; 04-06-2014 at 09:15 AM.
Old 04-06-2014, 02:22 PM
Don Stokes

Also found this one from 1909
Attached Images
File Type: jpg art weaver 1909.jpg (60.0 KB, 55 views)
Old 04-06-2014, 10:26 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

You're right again. Thanks