NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-08-2018, 11:19 PM
Tim Hadley
Tim Ha.dley

Default Chicago Sporsts "Spectacular" - My Pick Ups and Hot Takes

Haven't been to a bigger show in years. Used to go to the national's every year, other big shows in Chicago and the Midwest but nothing in maybe 20 years. So, since I have to drop my daughter off at O'Hare for a flight to Europe, I figure go couple hours early, drop off three subs to PSA to save the shipping and scour the floor for some Jell-O cards. Well, I wait in line at the PSA table for nearly an hour and a half....all to just hand them some cards that I have already filled out the online forms. After the first 20 minutes I just go up and ask a guy if I need to wait in line since I have everything filled out and just need to give them to someone. "Yep". As the minutes go by and my daughter is looking at the time I get more and more furious. Finally when there were still 2 people in line in front of us....and there was only about 10 when we got in line to begin with, I lost it and I think loudly said "eff" this, I'll just spend the money to send them in, they'll get there quicker." I get that everyone has to wait their turn and if I'm there to have something authenticated at the show, yeah, I'll wait But, why make the customers that are only going to take 5 minutes of your time wait so long?? So this gives me maybe 15 minutes before we have to get over to the airport to get her checked in so I'm mad dashing from table to table asking for 62 Jell-O. I didn't run into many but got a Bill Virdon that was decent and a Don Zimmer that is crap but it fills a hole for now. I did happen across a 62 Topps Uecker rookie. I pick them up whenever I can. So those 3 cards I spend $52. Would have loved to have spent a lot more.
But, if anyone else goes, please let me know if you felt the show to be very disorganized. Again, I haven't been to a bigger show in years and this just seemed cluttered all over the place. I will say, there was a decent amount of nice vintage stuff. Unfortunately I didn't get to enjoy it. Anyhow, after a 3 hour drive back home, I feel better and I will tuck my tail between my legs and get my cards ready to submit to the grading Gods. FYI, walked past Beckett's booth a couple times...not a soul there. Ok, thanks for reading thru that garbage, if you did. Now I will try to post a scan of the cards I got.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg img438 (2).jpg (82.0 KB, 242 views)
Old 06-09-2018, 06:06 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Thanks for the review. At least you picked up some cards for yourself. You would think the PSA folks would figure out how to make it where you don't have to wait an hour in line to turn in paperwork. Whenever I can, and I am in that kind of situation, I tell the company that is screwed up I am going to help them by making them less busy, goodbye.
Old 06-09-2018, 06:37 AM

It is smaller than the March show. Many of their better vintage dealers weren't there. I was able to sell some cards, but didn't buy anything. In March I spent all the cash I brought and had to use my credit card for some others. It was mainly an autograph show with people coming for Cubs autographs. I would suggest trying the show in November when there are more vintage dealers.
Old 06-09-2018, 07:02 AM
Tim Hadley
Tim Ha.dley

Quote:
Originally Posted by rats60 View Post
It is smaller than the March show. Many of their better vintage dealers weren't there. I was able to sell some cards, but didn't buy anything. In March I spent all the cash I brought and had to use my credit card for some others. It was mainly an autograph show with people coming for Cubs autographs. I would suggest trying the show in November when there are more vintage dealers.
I would it that one but it is the first weekend of deer season(shotgun) here in Illinois and I've already committed to that. I need to find a better show. What would be nice, and this is no hit on modern collectors, but a show that is vintage only. A show where you don't have to skip by 5 tables with modern game used/autographed cards to find some old guy stuff.
Old 06-09-2018, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Promethius88 View Post
I would it that one but it is the first weekend of deer season(shotgun) here in Illinois and I've already committed to that. I need to find a better show. What would be nice, and this is no hit on modern collectors, but a show that is vintage only. A show where you don't have to skip by 5 tables with modern game used/autographed cards to find some old guy stuff.
Then how about the March show? Otherwise it will be the National in late July or early August.
Old 06-09-2018, 08:11 AM
keith janosky

My brother and I went to that show a couple years ago and was disappointed. Was figuring it was going to be like there Nov and March shows but it wasn't. There was hardly any dealers and what they had was more modern stuff and I was looking for older items, autographs and game used stuff which there was absolutley nothing on that. It definitely is an autograph show and if your looking to get autographs it would be fine if you can afford the cost of those anymore, but if your looking for a show with alot of dealers probably not the show to be at at least it was a couple years ago.