NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-07-2007, 11:17 AM
Administrator

Default Remove Scratches from SGC and PSA cases?

Posted By: Richard

Does anyone know of some method or polish that can remove those nasty scratches from the SGC and PSA cases? This seems to be a problem because when the cases are scratched that can really impair the beauty of the card in the case.
Any thoughts, opinions would be welcome.
Thanks

Old 03-07-2007, 11:26 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve M.

is to pay the $5.00 or so for re-holdering. I've had no success removing scratches from these plastic tombs. In fact any attempt might make the holder look worse.

Old 03-07-2007, 11:29 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Sean

I echo Steves idea, or NEVER touch your cards slabbed or not.

Sean BH

Old 03-07-2007, 11:42 AM
Administrator

Posted By: George Dreher

I bought a PSA graded T206 once that had a price sticker affixed over the hologram. When I peeled it, it left a terrible residue. The best thing to use for that is a dry cloth and drop some alcohol on the sticky residue, but when I rubbed it off, it took the hologram off with it. Had to get a new holder for that one.

Old 03-07-2007, 11:44 AM
Administrator

Posted By: T206Collector

....just use a piece of scotch tape, and then apply, peel, apply, peel, until it comes off....

Old 03-07-2007, 11:46 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

My friend purchased a product from an auto store for polishing plastic that did a good job. The original scratch was still visible but much fainter.

Old 03-07-2007, 11:48 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe Jones

The Meguiars Plastic Polish from an auto store works nicely. It is a two step process. If the scratch is not deep and just a surface scratch, then with a little elbow grease it should polish out. Then you dont have to send the card away to a grading company and pay $5 plus the shipping.

Old 03-07-2007, 12:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: MVSNYC

$5 for reholdering is the best bet.

also try to keep your slabs in the thin clear sleeves for protection.

my "sticker goo" story is that i used nail polish remover on the slab and it totally screwed-up the plastic (i should have won the Darwin Award for that one...)

Old 03-07-2007, 12:34 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brett

You can't remove a scratch... just cover it up like a scratch on a car

Old 03-07-2007, 12:56 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve f

Thanks for all the ideas.

Never tried it myself... That spray stuff they used to sell at Blockbuster to fix DVD scratches. I'd imagine you would need to spray the entire surface and not just the scratched spot.

Old 03-07-2007, 01:08 PM
Administrator

Posted By: joseph

Call up a automotive supply company, auto zone or another and ask for plastic scratch remover. I used this on my cars lights and watch crystals and it works great. It does take a little time and effort but it warks for under 10 bucks and will last for a long long time.

Old 03-07-2007, 01:20 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Tom Boblitt

should work for the goo too. Don't use goo gone......it will alter the substance of the case....

Old 03-07-2007, 02:17 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JK

I use Novus products to remove scratches and glue residue (from price stickers) from slabs. Actually works pretty well. These products can be found on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/NOVUS-PLASTIC-CLEANER-SCRATCH-REMOVER-SYSTEM_W0QQitemZ140091449922QQihZ004QQcategoryZ137 27QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Old 03-07-2007, 02:42 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Lichtman

WD-40 for the sticker goo works well. Novus plastic polisher, which you can get on ebay, does a decent job on the plastic.

Old 03-07-2007, 02:50 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve M.

you've got some pretty nice cards! Don't mess around with them. Pop the $5 for a re-holder. The cards are worth it.

For those of you wanting to remove scraches to your PSA 2/SGC 30 graded T206 commons, have at it.

Old 03-07-2007, 08:39 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JK

"For those of you wanting to remove scraches to your PSA 2/SGC 30 graded T206 commons, have at it"

Steve,

Im not sure what is going on with the attitude - first, it is not always necessary to spend the money to ship cards back to sgc for a reholder. The Novus products actually work very well and do not, I repeat, do not make the slab any worse. Frankly, if you are suggesting that richard send in any nice, high grade cards for reholder, why not suggest that he first try a plastic polisher/scratch remover to see if it works? If it doesnt, sgc will still be there to take his reslab submission. If it does work, he's saved shipping x2, insurance x2 and reslabbing costs and eliminated any possibility of cards being lost during shipment (which has happened to me unfortunately - e98 cy young lost by ups enroute to sgc).