NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-29-2009, 07:47 PM

Default Bad Luck on Ebay...Need advise on best way to proceed

Well my luck finally ran out on eBay. I recently won a catcher trophy on eBay and it arrived in an "oversized" box today. When I opened the box I heard a rattle and as I unwrapped the loose bubble wrap I found the catcher's head completely sheared off. Here's a scan and a link to the sale of the "Near Mint" item.

Since the seller has less than stellar feedback I want to make sure I follow the proper procedure to make sure I get my money back. Insurance was not an option in the auction, and the item was shipped via the United States Post Office.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Patrick

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=390058755017
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001.jpg (67.3 KB, 438 views)
Old 06-29-2009, 08:09 PM
qu@n nguy3n

pat i'd contact the seller first, if seller refuses refund i'd go to paypal as item not as described.

quan
Old 06-29-2009, 08:14 PM

Default Contacted seller already

Hi Quan,

I sent an email to the seller already letting him know that the catcher trophy arrived with the catcher's head sheared off. I haven't heard back from him yet.

Thanks,

Patrick
Old 06-29-2009, 08:16 PM
Pup6913

Default return policy

You got 7 days!!!!! What are you waiting for. Send it back with tracking and insure it even though it is broke. If seller refuses refund file a dispute with paypal. I think if it was in a box and wrapped in bubble wrap then it was already damaged before. I have shipped hundreds of items and only one was damaged because the buyer returned a T206 in an envelope and made a EX card a G grade because of the new creases the PO and Envelope gave it. He still got his money back in full w/shipping even after I filled claim with paypal and had before and after pics of the card. Best of luck and hope all goes well.
Old 06-29-2009, 08:19 PM
Steve Murray

From the ebay picture of the piece from the back it appears that the head had previously been reattached. If so his description should have disclosed it and it certainly would not be considered near mint.
Old 06-29-2009, 08:25 PM

Default What am I waiting for?

Andrew,

What am I waiting for? I picked up the package before work, and when I opened it after work, the post office was closed. I'm not waiting for anything.

Patrick
Old 06-29-2009, 08:48 PM
David Goff

Patrick

I would also send it back to the seller asking for a refund. And if you don't get a response, then dispute it through paypal. More than likely, you'll get your money back from PayPal.

Makes you wonder why the seller didn't offer insurance. He has alot of feedback, so it's not like he doesn't know about insurance. He probably knew it was busted and tried to pass it off...sorry about your luck.

David
Old 06-29-2009, 08:50 PM

Default Opened a dispute with PayPal already

I also opened a dispute with PayPal already.

Patrick
Old 06-29-2009, 09:01 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default shipping and handling

The shipping and handling was $19.99 for a few pound, slightly oversized item. I would expect the piece to arrive in good shape AND/OR if it's like Steve said, and was broken already, then that should have been disclosed in the auction description. A refund is warranted either way.
Old 06-29-2009, 09:13 PM
Paul

Get tracking for the package when you send it back. PayPal will ask for the tracking number for the returned package. At least they did when I had a dispute, & returned an item.
Old 06-29-2009, 09:17 PM

Default Shipping label says insured.

Although insurance wasn't an option in the auction, I noticed it did say insured on the shipping label. That may be another angle the seller may be working, if the item was in fact damaged prior to shipping.

I plan on shipping the item back first thing in the morning.

I 'm sending it back in the same box with insurance.

Any other recommendations? Delivery confirmation etc? Should I be concerned about the seller receiving it within 7 days?

Thanks again for all your responses.

It's pretty disappointing when you are excited to get an item for your collection and you get this instead.

Patrick
Old 06-29-2009, 09:50 PM
Mike

Patrick,
I know Herbert and he is a stand up guy. He sells a lot of vintage material, and will be set up at the National. He has been ill recently and that may cause a delay in email response. I really feel that you have nothing to worry about.

Mike
Old 06-29-2009, 10:12 PM
qu@n nguy3n

pat when i bought a fake usb drive a month ago. i contacted the seller but also opened a claim with paypal. even though the seller sent me an address to return for a refund, paypal advised me not to until the seller make contact with them (through the claim)...then PAYPAL will send me the official address to send it back (so the seller don't try any funny business).

for items under $200 a sig is not necessary, i just had delivery confirmation. i got a refund the day the item was delivered. that was my experience.

quan...(are u still in maine?)
Old 06-30-2009, 06:57 PM
Craig Wright

Patrick,

I've never dealt with that seller, but in looking over his feedback I noticed this one, which is at least a positive sign:

I returned the item and received prompt refund. Honest ebayer.
baglover74 ( 35) Jun-25-09 15:53
Authentic PRADA Black & Silver Nylon Backpack Purse NM (#390054882443)
US $60.00

Hope it works out for you,
Craig
Old 06-30-2009, 10:54 PM

Default Filed Claim

I mailed back the trophy on Tuesday morning, and filed a claim a few minutes ago since the seller's response was that he packed it well, and I needed to deal with the Post Office, and that he wasn't going to do a refund.

Patrick
Old 07-01-2009, 07:18 AM
Matt Wieder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintagecatcher View Post
I mailed back the trophy on Tuesday morning, and filed a claim a few minutes ago since the seller's response was that he packed it well, and I needed to deal with the Post Office, and that he wasn't going to do a refund.

Patrick
So much for the character reference. You might want to explain to him that with the Post Office, the sender is the one who needs to make the insurance claim, not the receiver. regardless, I bet Paypal refunds you once you provide them with the tracking info that says it has been returned.

99% of people are great to deal with when everything is going smoothly; it's how they deal with things once something goes awry that differentiates them.
Old 07-01-2009, 02:15 PM
JB

Default ...................

You must return it using some form of tracking. Otherwise, seller can say "i never got it...blah, blah. blah") You probably already knew that...just my two.
Old 07-01-2009, 03:00 PM

Patrick--I, also know the seller well. He has been ill so that may have delayed any response but he did give you his phone number. He didn't offer insurance as an option because he paid it himself as he does on most sales. I have seen this trophy and I can assure you it had never been damaged prior to shipment. He has a 99.4% positive feedback on 4,418 posts so I think that shows that he can be trusted to take care of the problem if given a chance first rather than trying to solve the problem on an open forum.
Old 07-01-2009, 03:01 PM

Default Brokens catchers trophy

Im the seller of the trophy. Ive had the trophy for many years and just recently begrudgingly decided to part with it. my checkout instructions say, and I quote..." If there is a problem with the order DO NOT EMAIL ME, call me on my cell 901-482-4611 6-9p.m central time and on weekends"...Ive been recuperating from kidney stone surgery and have been off work for 9 days...I havent received a phone call per the ebay instructions. I did reply to your paypal dispute teeling you the package was insured...I paid for the insurance. I have NEVER screwed anyone on ebay...my feedback is excellent, however it would be PRISTINE if folks would call me instead of emailing me. I personally hate it when something like this happens for several reasons...one, dealing with the postal service isnt the most pleasant thing to do and two, I want the customer to be happy.....Again I repeat, you can call me at 901-482-4611 if need be...Ill even give my name out for everyone to see...Herbert Thomas...the ball is in your court
Old 07-01-2009, 03:03 PM
Chris G.

I know Herbert and although he NEVER reads his email, he does talk on the phone about 15 hours a day. He is one of the best people in the hobby to work with. Many of you are making very incorrect assumptions about a veteran collector who does this for fun - not for profit...

Try following the instructions at the bottom of the eBay Auction

Seller's payment instructions

If you have a problem with the order then PLEASE contact me on my cell 901-482-4611 between 6-9 p.m CST on weekdays or anytime on the weekend-thanks...local pickup is fine.

The trophy was a beauty and not something he tried to "pass off" on anyone. You guys are playing Bush League Ball here with a very stand up guy.
Old 07-01-2009, 03:18 PM
Matt Wieder

My comments above were based on Patrick's statement that "the seller's response was that he packed it well, and I needed to deal with the Post Office, and that he wasn't going to do a refund."
that seems at odds with what many of you are saying about the seller, so I'm not sure where the truth sits here. That the seller has come on and seems willing to make this right is good news.
Old 07-01-2009, 03:22 PM
C.urt Sch.midg.@ll

I'm sure the seller is a stand-up honest person with the best of intentions, but after reading his feedback, maybe starting to use email more would help eliminate some of these problems. Granted, his auction clearly states to call his cell phone, but email is the main mode of communication on eBay and to better serve his customer base, should maybe be checked and used more frequently. Just an opinion.
Old 07-01-2009, 03:24 PM
Matt Wieder

Maybe I'm missing part of the story - the issue here is not that he didn't respond to your email, but that his response was that he wasn't going to give a refund. If that's the case, I don't see why it matters if you called or emailed.
Old 07-01-2009, 03:34 PM
C.urt Sch.midg.@ll

"Maybe I'm missing part of the story - the issue here is not that he didn't respond to your email, but that his response was that he wasn't going to give a refund. If that's the case, I don't see why it matters if you called or emailed."

Actually, the lack of email communication is part of the story. If he would've responded via email in a prompt manner, a PP claim could've possibly been avoided and maybe this whole thread altogether.