NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 10-08-2010, 10:17 PM
Rob
R0bert Ge,ntieu

Default Local auctioneer with 1929 Babe Ruth auto ball - real or not?

Came across this local auctioneer who has a 1929 Babe Ruth autographed ball that apparently has passed PSA/DNA authentication. I'm no expert on autographs, especially Babe Ruth, but something looks slightly off about the "e" in Babe in this sig. PSA/DNA correct on this one?

Auction is next weekend -- I won't be bidding. Click on the upcoming auctions section/Babe Ruth info. page.

http://www.daileyauctions.com/
Old 10-09-2010, 08:02 AM
Scott

The autograph looks good to me, but I find his description interesting. Young John caught one of Ruth's home runs? that is NOT an official AL Ball obviously.
Old 10-09-2010, 09:39 PM
And.rew Whi.te

I currently live 10 miles from Burlington, Wisconsin which is where this ball came from. The description states that the owner and his father took the short drive to Comisky park to see the White Sox play. I can tell you that today, it would take me easily 2 hours to get to a Sox game on a Sunday morning with no traffic. I can only imagine in 1929, with no expressways how long it took them to get to the south side of Chicago from southern Wisconsin. There is no way in hell its just a "short trip" to the south side!!
Old 10-11-2010, 12:18 AM

Depends how you define short trip. It could have taken them 5 hours to get there. I grew up further away in Madison and remember it being roughly a 3 hour drive to Chicago on modern highway.

Last edited by drc; 10-11-2010 at 12:28 AM.
Old 10-11-2010, 10:03 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

Default Ruth ball

I do not like the way the Ruth looks. That is just me, I would ask for Mr Simon to give his 2 cents. The signature just looks too perfect and free of any defects. Very level signature. Especially if there is a PSA 1 sig of Gehrig which I cannot see. I will say that I believe this comes from a collector / dealer in that area who has had other Ruth's, that appeared good to me. Maybe not the same person, but there has been other Ruth's come out of this area.
Old 10-11-2010, 10:06 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

The auctioneer also calls this a "home run" ball. I suppose that ran out of official balls in the quaint midwest town where this game was played.
Old 10-12-2010, 06:55 AM
T!M R10rd@n

I'm certainly not an expert, but I don't think that I have ever seen a Mickey Mantle autograph where he has "dotted" the "i" with an "o" before like in the referenced auction.

http://www.daileyauctions.com/fullpic.php?picid=2861

The rest of it looks sloppy to me, but that "o" on the "i" just jumps out at me.

Last edited by timzcardz; 10-12-2010 at 06:56 AM.
Old 10-12-2010, 10:57 AM
FredYoung

I wouldn't touch that Mantle w/ a long pole!
Old 10-18-2010, 08:08 AM
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Ruth Ball - Sold!!!! $7250

Last edited by Shoeless Moe; 10-18-2010 at 08:12 AM.