NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-05-2006, 06:21 PM
Administrator

Default Interesting 1911 Zeenut Overprints....

Posted By: Brian McQueen

I went through my Zeenut collection earlier today and found a few cards that appear to have overprint backs on them that I thought I'd share. I know the two on the bottom have the Collins/McCarthy back stamp which adds to their uniqueness, but I was curious if the top two cards have overprints from their sponsers as well, or are these simply stamps from a random collector that would decrease the card's conditon rather than add to it's significance?

Another question, how many overprints have been found for this issue?

Interested in hearing any thoughts you guys may have. Thanks in advance,

Brian
redmaccie@hotmail.com

Old 08-06-2006, 07:07 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Gilbert Maines

I sure don't know about this Brian. But the pointing finger stamp was everywhere through the 40s. Then its use died out. The other one though is very interesting. It actually looks like something affixed to the card. Is it a stamped image? Can you make it bigger?

Old 08-06-2006, 08:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Adam J. Baxter

When you consider the fact that Zeenuts were distributed by the Collins-McCarthy
company, it makes the "JJ Collins" stamp kind of stand out from the rest of the crowd. Perhaps JJ Collins was a relative or descendant of the Collins clan?

Old 08-06-2006, 09:13 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark Macrae

Adam..... The facsimile signature "J J Collins" which is commonly found on the backs of 1911 Zeenuts represents Joseph J. Collins who was a partner in the candy company. During the Teens, he represented himself as secretary & treasurer of Collins-McCarthy Candy. The facsimile bears a remarkable resemblance to Collins' actual signature (At least the examples that I own). The other stamps are examples of "personalization" which have been done to paper artifacts over the last century, some contemporary to their release, others in more modern times for a variety of reasons.

Old 08-06-2006, 09:19 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian McQueen

I found another Collins-McCarthy overprint. This one is from Leon's site and is obviously a lot more detailed than the two I have. On mine, you can see traces of the captions above and below the signature but they don't show up in the scans. SGC even notates the overprint on their slab. I'll try to get larger scans of the other two posted later on. Not the first time I've seen that giant hand used on a card either....

Old 08-06-2006, 09:28 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Adam J. Baxter

Mark, If I'm reading your post correctly, then that would make the Joseph J. Collins stamp a legit overprint/variation and not just a collector personalization? Has anyone encountered his stamp on any other Collins-McCarthy issues besides Zeenuts?

Old 08-06-2006, 09:43 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rhett Yeakley

Adam, the Collins stamp can very well be viewed as a "legitimate" stamp. It may very well have been another way of "cancelling" cards that had been redeemed (as 1911's had no coupon.) Here is another axample.
-Rhett

Old 08-17-2006, 03:34 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve M.

Just back from SGC or I would have posted it earlier.Stamped on the reverse of a 1911 Wares. Anyone have anything like this or info on the S. WHITEMAN Fine Candies company of San Francisco?