NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-16-2006, 06:53 PM
Administrator

Default Opinions Please...Real or Fake T205 Tinker

Posted By: MEWheat

Need your help T205 experts.

Is the following T205 Tinker look real to you T205 experts:::>

The green lettering on the back looks too thick compared to the other Sovereigns I have.....other than that the card looks legit.

I've learned alot from you guys....thanks in advance.

Zach

Old 08-16-2006, 06:56 PM
Administrator

Posted By: peter ullman

i agree...the back doesn't look right...wrong color of green and way too perfect!

pete in mn

Old 08-16-2006, 06:59 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul

I agree. The back doesn't look right.

Old 08-16-2006, 07:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: fkw

Looks Fake........... Green ink looks like wrong shade, back print is too bold, the letters with holes ie. "g, o, d, b, p, a" are filled in. Look at the words "games batting fielding" above the stats. Need a clear scan.

Old 08-16-2006, 07:31 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JimB

I am not a T205 expert by any means, but if it is fake it is a damn good one. It even has the correct chipping at the corners.
JimB

Old 08-16-2006, 07:45 PM
Administrator

Posted By: steve f

Remarkably clean back, but it looks real. Very nice

Old 08-17-2006, 10:04 AM
Administrator

Posted By: runscott

I'll be rebellious and say it's real. The images are fuzzy which makes it tough to tell how thick the letters are on the back, but although heavy ink might be an anomaly, it's more logical than to conclude that someone went to the trouble to make a fake trimmed lower-grade t205 Tinker, right down to the REALLY difficult to forge borders.

In going back through my t205 images, I sure wish I had kept them!

Old 08-17-2006, 10:27 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave

I'm no expert on the T205's, but I do own almost 50 of these. All of mine are Piedmnot backs, so I really can't comment on this back.

But, the gold edges seem thin to me. This would suggest that this is trimmed. Maybe that would explain the sharp corners.

Old 08-17-2006, 10:33 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Judge Dred (Fred)

I think it looks real but altered (possibly trimmed).

Old 08-17-2006, 11:09 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Russ Bright

I know ShawnA or Wite3 would be the DIFINITIVE answer here, but I have a few T205's that are definately real and have the same "thick printing" on the back (Sweet Caporal for one, but mostly I've seen the thick printing on pitchers). The scan is a little fuzzy, but from my estimation (and without seeing the card in person) I would have to say that the card is authentic, and if not trimmed is BEAUTIFUL card! The darkness of the color doesn't even scare me that much Some of my backs are faded and some are as green as the day they were printed.

you looking to sell it?

Old 08-17-2006, 11:49 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Turner

Turner

Old 08-17-2006, 11:56 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Josh K.

Im no expert on these cards, but is it unusual that the name "joe tinker" on the reverse of the questioned card is so close to the frame/border whereas on all of the real t205s pictured there is a space between the frame and the player's name? I dont collect this set, so that may be a common printing characteristic, but it immediately jumped out at me.

Old 08-17-2006, 12:08 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Turner

Josh,

Nice point out on the name being right next to the border.

But, mine has it also on the reverse with a Piedmont back.

I guess it was just a printing thing.

It is kinda hard to see on mine because of the back being so faded, but you can see it right up next to the frame.

Old 08-17-2006, 02:13 PM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

we need a clearer image.

The space between the name and top line is OK and the color can be very green if the back was not exposed to much handling or weathering.

Old 08-17-2006, 02:19 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JT

There's no way to tell if this is real or not unless Mike Mango feels it.

Old 08-17-2006, 04:36 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Shawn Adkins

This card was interesting when I first saw it back in June. My honest opinion is that the top (and probably the bottom) borders have been trimmed. Left and right look fairly good but with a better scan, it would be a little easier to tell.

The chipping on the front goes a long way towards determining that this card is in fact real. The top/bottom borders are too thin which is why I believe the card has been trimmed on one, if not both counts. Again, with a clear scan or in person I could tell with 100% certainty.

The Sovereign brand comes in many shades of green (some even appear black or gray) and the extra thick letters have appeared on most of the other backs. Probably because it was one of the first cards printed after the ink had been refilled or was a doublestrike. All of Tinker's cards have his name almost touching framed border on the back and this is magnified with respect to the bolder print on this card.

And lastly, this card is in a PRO 8 holder which is a big red flag. If crossing to another company, I'd expect an AUTH holder at best, that is if they will even put it in a new holder. If I owned the card, I'd keep it just the way it is and enjoy it...the main thing is that it's REAL...and you got it for a decent price all things considered. It's a great looking card regardless!

Some examples of the different SOV back shades of green.

--Shawn

Old 08-17-2006, 04:56 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave

I don't have any Sovereigns, but the Piedmonts show large variation on the space between the name and the top border. The Cobb has large space both above and below the text, which suggests that it has been centered in the border. Judging from the other post of the Tinker back, I would think this is how that card was normally printed.

Old 08-17-2006, 08:09 PM
Administrator

Posted By: J Levine

Well, here is my opinion (thanks to Russ for calling me an expert). I agree with Shawn (the scans are great). The Soverign back comes with possibly the most variation in color of any T205s I have seen. When I first started tracking T205s I actually had three seperate categories of green (bright, normal, and khaki) but later determined it was probably just fading of the ink.

The card in my opinion is almost certainly trimmed top to bottom and possibly shaved side to side. It is a nice Tinker though and tougher brighter back.

Hope this helps.

Joshua

Old 08-17-2006, 09:07 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

Following are better scans:

Wow, impressive array of knowledge here. Thanks guys.

Old 08-17-2006, 09:35 PM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

at least from the scans

Old 08-18-2006, 09:58 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

Now it really looks genuine - sure, the ink was printed generously, but that happened sometimes. I think I can see it from the scan, but on a card with 'too much' ink like this one, you should be able to easily see 'blobs' of excess ink at the edges of some of the letters.

Old 08-18-2006, 10:27 AM
Administrator

Posted By: steve f

When in printing shop at a Boston Public School (1969), we had to use presses from the turn of the century. We printed business cards to help fund our after-school programs.

If we didn't manually slab on the ink pallette in time (and I often didn't), later sheets would show far lighter print and we would have to toss them. Conversely, the first sheet(s) would show the bolder text... Thanks, that was quite a flashback.