NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-12-2009, 02:59 PM
John
J0hn McD@niel

Default Even the so called good guys...ugly hobby?

I thought I would bring to light to the members of this forum a chain of emails I was privy too as of recent that I found very disturbing.

I was forwarded these emails because the content had direct discussions about me. I don’t care to get into full detail as I think it has little bearing on the real issue that lay within the email string which was accidentally sent.

Basically Scott Elkins had issues with me being involved as a key member of the Chan investigation and felt I was taking undo credit. This is of course silly as I was the direct link to the FBI and it was my inspection of the cards which gave the needed evidence to visit Mr. Chan which of course lead to the snowballing of unfortunate events regarding him and the site T206museum.com.

I was very clear on the team effort in my post which can be seen here.

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=112134

I have no explanation as to why Mr. Elkins has issue with a positive thing done by a team of collectors for the good of the hobby but clearly he does.

It’s very clear that Mr. Elkins has issue with me and others which is very apparent by browsing his site above. I have no doubt he harbors anger with me as he has made all too clear. I have had my shots all chicken shots but he has had more than enough payback and I’m fine with it. I have little doubt a lot of this comes from the banning from Full Count in which I had nothing to do with the moderators made that move. It just happened Scott and I were in the mix at the time. While I find a lot of the stuff as vile venting and uncalled for vulgarity and false accusations he does have his rights to speak free as do we.

HOWEVER I ASK ALL OF A YOU A PERSONAL FAVOR I DON’T WANT THIS TO BE THREAD ABOUT SHOTS ABOUT ELKINS AND CHICKENS/UNDERPRINTS ETC. SO PLEASE CHECK THOSE AT THE DOOR PLEASE. I DON’T WANT THE REAL PURPOSE OF THIS POST TO BE LOST IN THE MIX OF CHEAP HUMOR WHICH I’M GULITY OF MYSELF FROM TIME TO TIME.

Recently on the other main baseball card forum (Full Count) Kevin Saucier insinuated that what we had done as a team Jim, Dan, Rob, FBI and I was not really needed as he assumed it was common knowledge to him and not worthy of discussing.

"Perhaps I am a little naive but I thought most collectors knew they were altered. I saw them on the t206museum was immediately suspicious and never really followed them. Considered it somewhat of a joke and a no-brainer. Feel the same about most of the stamped backed cards. Just "way" too easy to do!Now that I read the stories I am shocked to find that collectors were spending serious money these overprints. Hope they all get their money back."

Jim and Dan and myself disagreed Kevin did return and apologize that it was not meant in that way etc. Which we accept or at least I do as I will not speak for Dan and Jim.

Now that you have a bit of background we can move to the point of my post.

Kevin Saucier had recently emailed Scott Elkins asking him if he could ask Jim and Dan to lay off him.

----- Original Message -----
To: Scott Elkins
Sent: Sunday, May 10, 2009 3:44 PM
Subject: RE: He's at it again!

Perhaps you can send a quick email to Dan and Jim so they can get off the Wonka brow beat Kevin band wagon. I expect this kind of stuff from Jon but not from Dan.

I am just trying to fly below the radar and keep a very low profile. Besides they have no idea what I did or did not know about the investigation of this card.

Oh...btw, outstanding job! You and Jim are the guys who really did all the work.

__________________________________________________ ____________

This is crazy because I only responded after Jim and Dan responded and we all basically said the same thing. If he knew all along why not bring it up etc.

Here’s where this gets very scary to myself and many others I have run this by.

In the same email Scott forwarded from Kevin he left the full string of emails between Scott and Kevin dating as far back as April 2nd 2008. Upon reading the entire string I was shocked to read the following string and almost fell out of my chair with disgust and shock!

Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2008 16:42:15 -0700

Hi Kevin,
I hope all is well your way! I was wondering if you are still inspecting cards for people. I have a T206 with a United Cigars ad on the back that is printed UNDER the Sweet Caporal ad. Anyway, to make a long story short, some of the Net 54ers are trying to say it is printed OVER the ad and simply a back stamp overprint.
I was wondering if I could send this card to you if it does not sell and get your opinion on it - overprint or underprint? I will pay whatever fee is associated with the service.
Here is a link to the auction
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=160277961170
Thanks in advance!
Scott Elkins

To: Scott
Sent: Wednesday, September 03, 2008 5:13 PM
Subject: RE: T206
Hi Scott,

Yeah I looking at that thread yesterday. Those guys are beyond cruel. Got pissed reading that whole mess.

Sure I'll look at it. I don't charge anything, never have...and I've looked at thousands of cards. Collectors are funny, those that send cards regularly show gratitude in other ways because they know I won't take a cent....I'm just glad I can help!

Good timing, last year or so I have been studying T206 backs and the printing. Just send it over, I'll give you an honest opinion:

All the best,
Kevin
__________________________________________________ _____________________
To: onlychild@hotmail.com
Subject: Close Up
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2008 18:20:01 -0700
Kevin,
Here is a close up I just took at 800% with my scanner. I am going to try and post this pic in the auction (if it is not too large for eBay). One should definitely be able to tell more about the back with this pic (fingers crossed it works on eBay!).
Best Regards,
Scott
To: Scott
Sent: Wednesday, September 03, 2008 7:12 PM
Subject: RE: Close Up
Scott,

And here I thought you liked me because I'm a disabled AF vet.

I think it's safe to say that the word "clowns" should be replaced with "assholes". Before they judge others, some should take a good long look in the mirror.

Our secret - I have never sold an altered card but for those few "true asses" on 54, I have made sure that each already has or will have an altered card in their collection (some more than one)....it will be their guess as to which one. I'll tell them exactly that some day. Again...I didn't make a penny (it actually cost me) but well worth it .

Have to say with that close up scan, it's looking very favorable. I can see the SC over the cigar print. I'll save my final opinion for when I see it live but it looks like a no-brainer.

Some friendly advice...perhaps you should tone down your ebay listing with less personal statements. Wouldn't want to see it pulled or give them more fuel for the fire. Just a thought.

All the best,

Kevin

To: onlychild@hotmail.com
Subject: This has your name written all over it!
Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2008 10:55:06 -0700

Hee Hee
http://www.flickr.com/photos/calvind...7607705122913/
Regards,
Scott
To: joejackson1919@comcast.net
Sent: Thursday, October 09, 2008 10:48 AM
Subject: RE: This has your name written all over it!

Hi Scott,

I wish...but no. Although I can make many or some of the colors disappear and come close, I don't know of a way to keep the yellows, name, borders and the light shades. Yellow ink is about the 2nd to go. I've tried man many times to recreate this and can't come close to the detail.

Kevin

IN CASE YOU MISSED IT, THIS IS THE PART YOU NEED TO READ VERY CAREFULLY!

“Our secret - I have never sold an altered card but for those few "true asses" on 54, I have made sure that each already has or will have an altered card in their collection (some more than one)....it will be their guess as to which one. I'll tell them exactly that some day. Again...I didn't make a penny (it actually cost me) but well worth it .”
Kevin Saucier

It is no secret that myself and many others have questioned Kevin as to his motives and open interest in altered cards. Kevin has always taken the stance that this is for the good of the hobby and done to educate the collectors. For the most part we all have accepted that some including myself have asked why Kevin’s opinion should count over that of the established businesses such as SGC and PSA. Some have also asked why the overall secrecy and nebulous nature of his posts.

Here are my main issues which I would like to see Kevin address here right away? As this has a scary parallel to Chan showing off work, hyping activities etc. Although Chan did this from anonymity vs. Kevin in here and in our faces.

1. Why would Kevin if he is a good guy admit to planting if you will fraudulent or altered cards in select individual’s collections? Not only saying it’s been done but explains that there was cost involved and this was a directed attack at certain individuals.

2. When Scott laughed and asked if the current card which happens to be in the collection of a fellow board member was a creation of Kevin’s. Why did Kevin reply “I wish” above he wishes he was responsible for fraudulent activities and doctored cards to fellow collectors why?

I have provided many past links of discussion that have been about Kevin and his services/talents or that he has been a major part of.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/15365...206+or+others-

http://www.network54.com/Forum/15365...+Kevin+Saucier

http://www.network54.com/Forum/15365...ill+be+in+luck.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/15365...e+1933+Goudeys

Talks about cards he altered getting past graders...

http://www.network54.com/Forum/15365...-+Adding+Value

http://www.network54.com/Forum/15365...at+to+look+for

http://www.network54.com/Forum/15365...+caramel+cards

http://www.network54.com/Forum/15365...ier+Has+Spoken

Facts, openly admits to doctoring cards and placing them into the hobby and certain collections. Has been a self proclaimed expert has reviewed peoples valuable collections and items. Has continually offered services to major auction houses.

When the original recipient of the email brought up the quote the response from Kevin was that the comment was an innocent inside joke about Harris cards I own…I find this absurd I own 2 Harris cards and have openly discussed them here

http://www.network54.com/Forum/15365...A+8+for+review

This was an unsolicited admission not a joke IMO. Please collectors be aware that it’s not always the folks in the shadows that can be up to no good.

Now I have no proof Kevin has done this short of his admission above but that alone begs the question why would one ever say such a thing?

Unless Kevin has a real good explanation I’m very cautious of him and what he may have leaked out into the hobby as of today based on those comments. But I am willing to hear Kevin out and await his response as I ask all of us to do.

Cheers,

John

Last edited by Leon; 05-13-2009 at 12:42 PM. Reason: edited out link to cockfighting board
Old 05-12-2009, 03:57 PM
pete ullman

Eek gads...here we go!

This hobby...like the game it's modeled after...has always been great...and has always had an ugly side...and always will when large amounts of money...and ego are involved.

pu
Old 05-12-2009, 04:03 PM
Dan Bretta

An ugly situation turns much uglier. This is definitely a buyer beware hobby and if anything the last few weeks/months has taught us that it's far more important to do your own homework and not rely on the grading companies. I think it's time to assume a good number of cards in this hobby have been altered and are already residing in holders. The obvious fakes (to those with knowledge) ie the black OM overprints and the T206 Doyle PSA have to mean that many other not so obvious cards have also slipped past the graders. That's an ugly admission from Kevin and I sure hope it was said in bravado and there's not truth to it.

ugh.
Old 05-12-2009, 04:08 PM

And you guys are always knocking memorabilia and autographs for their shadyness. This is crazy stuff. I think the sad truth is that it permeates all area of the hobby and probably all hobbies where money is involved.

I was talking on the phone to a former major leaguer that collects the other day (not cards) and he had no idea there was even all this stuff going on because he had never been on the forum. It blew him away that there was so much corruption in the hobby.

Rhys
Old 05-12-2009, 05:40 PM
Bradley Holt

Wow... that's sure is a lot of information
Old 05-12-2009, 05:44 PM
Kevin S.

Nope never did it...that's the truth. Was just venting in anger one day and told a white-lie to Scott. Which, with your current (and past) attacks, is easy to see why. BTW...posting personal emails, regardless of the subject matter, is just uncalled for.

I wouldn't have the slightest idea on how to get a specific card through to someone. I have no idea where anyone lives, let alone know them personally.

Sorry to disappoint but to the best of my knowledge, none are in the hobby. All the doctored cards I made are either in my personal collection marked "altered" or with Mike Baker labeled as "altered." Was just mouthing off in a heated moment.
Old 05-12-2009, 05:52 PM
Chris / prewarprints.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by prewarsports View Post
And you guys are always knocking memorabilia and autographs for their shadyness. This is crazy stuff. I think the sad truth is that it permeates all area of the hobby and probably all hobbies where money is involved.
Great point and so true. It's everywhere. Sadly.
Old 05-12-2009, 06:02 PM
Jeff

"Great point and so true. It's everywhere. Sadly."

Anywhere money is (and great amounts of it), "it" is too. I fear a much higher % of graded cards are altered than any of us would like to believe. It is sort of like the "steroids" of card collecting.
Old 05-12-2009, 06:07 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRBAKER View Post
" I fear a much higher % of graded cards are altered than any of us would like to believe. It is sort of like the "steroids" of card collecting.
And yet we keep buying, don't we? Perhaps addiction enhances the capacity for self-deception (e.g., "I'm careful, it won't happen to ME")
Old 05-12-2009, 06:17 PM
Barry Sloate

I also believe that there are a greater number of altered cards in holders than most collectors wish to admit. I think this will come out over time. As others have posted, there is too much easy money to be made here.
Old 05-12-2009, 06:27 PM
Doug C.

The really scary thing is that as the scammers technology and skill get better the problem will only get worse.
Old 05-12-2009, 06:37 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Kevin, an admission of fraud in a private email is hardly a "white lie" especially when it reflects behavior that you've publicly claimed you believe to be so wrong.

Additionally, you might be the only person in the history of civilization who felt the need to "lie" to impress a bottom-feeder like Elkins.

While it's a little disturbing to read of your disappointment at not being able to alter one of my cards, at least we all got to see you and Elkins in flagrante delicto, laughing it up as you both took joy in the thought of secretly altering cards and releasing them into our hobby.
Old 05-12-2009, 06:41 PM
John
J0hn McD@niel

Thanks for the response.

“Which, with your current (and past) attacks, is easy to see why.”

I disagree Kevin read the links above never made personal attacks. I questioned your expertise and motives as to why we all should take your posts as gospel.

I also asked many times why your opinion rules over third party graders.

No I don’t think it’s as easy to see why. I would never lie about doing fraudulent acts because someone bummed me out occasionally on a forum. There’s a whole board above in which several of us get ragged on really heavy…don’t believe me type Leon’s name into Google.

Yet I don’t see anyone of us making any such outlandish claims, or little white lies as you say.

“BTW...posting personal emails, regardless of the subject matter, is just uncalled for.”

Disagree once again emails posting that you think Wonka’s a douche or I dont like Wonka. I agree no need to be on this board take it off line and get over it.

Emails in which a self proclaimed expert who has spent years on this board posting creations and bragging about getting cards past 3rd party graders, making outlandish admissions of fraudulent activity.

That 100% belongs on here…I don’t buy blowing off steam and white-lie you and Scott were discussing your disgust with the response about the underprint Scott owns from the folks here. And if this lie or joke was directed at me please point out where in this thread I upset you….funny I never had a single post in the thread….

http://www.network54.com/Forum/15365...ier+Has+Spoken

So I understand you were mad at me or net54 and made incriminating comments and lies to another person in an offline email because you were upset….right?

This ranks up there with I made these for “Showmanship” I never meant to sell them….

Also wishing you had put fake cards in a fellow board members collection is also due to being mad.

Blown away that I'm the only one shocked by this load. Funny we get pitchforks and torches and baracade Chan into a corner..yet Mastro and auction houses get away with bloddy murder and we contiune to turn a blind eye. We even have a laid back approach to comments like the above.

I guess we as a hobby get upset only after someone gets taken or burned..

Last edited by wonkaticket; 05-12-2009 at 06:50 PM.
Old 05-12-2009, 07:08 PM
Joann

Hmmm. Not sure what to make of this. I've been neither a particular doubter nor fan of Kevin and what he has talked about in the past. But this - don't look good.

Random thoughts, struggling for order:

The first thing that comes to mind is that Kevin has held himself out as a defender of the hobby against alterations. This isn't like Joe Schmoe said he was going to sneak altered cards into certain collections. It's not even Joe Schmoe that said he was a great card alterer. Kevin has particularly said that the reason for starting web sites and posting on various boards was to try to protect the hobby. How does that square with the comment about putting fakes in some collections? It's vaguely like (not exactly like, but similar) the t206museum offering COA's. Protecting the hobby against fraud.

Another comparison to t206museum (just since it is on everyone's mind right now - not saying the two cases are directly parallel). t206 put altered cards out on a public website, for all to see and debate and pick apart - a visible attempt to snare whatever generic fish swam by.

Kevin's claims of putting altered cards out there aren't broad and generic to the public. He specifically targets individuals that he feels have crossed him or pissed him off. Singling out specific persons seems shadier - or at least like a different motive.

Could he have done it? Shoot, most of his posts have centered around his ability to alter cards in undetectable ways and fool even the most advanced and professional collectors, graders and dealers. So by his own words, he could have done it - at least as to the alteration part.

I'm also having a hard time with the two explanations? First it was explained as a joke, then as a heated comment. From reading the email string, it seems like neither.

Heated comments tend to be threats, not statements of a past act. Whether as a joke or heated comment, it seems like it would be more along the lines of "Well I could this that or the other thing to these guys, and maybe someday I will!" It doesn't seem really common to me that, as a heated comment, someone would claim to have already done something.

It also doesn't seem to have been a heated discussion in general (assuming that all parts are there). I've seen Scott Elkins in heated discussions. He has a very passionate writing style that makes it impossible to miss when he is mad at something - using capital-letter phrases, and being very descriptive as to what has him pissed off.

I don't see that Scott is at all heated in this chain. More like some side comments about others, but in general the context seems far more focused on the actual underprint card he and Kevin were discussing.

And the one email that contains the comment doesn't seem to follow at all - the topic sort of comes out of the blue. Don't know what that means - just that it does not seem consistent with either a joke or a heated comment.

I don't know what it all means, just that it doesn't look good for someone that has claimed (and backed it up with demonstrations) to be able to make undetectable alterations but has also stated repeatedly that it is to protect the hobby.

The only thing that keeps me from thinking it actually happened is the practical problem of trying to steer one specific card into the collection of one specific person. That's the only loose thread left in my mind.

Not good. Not a good week for the hobby.

J
Old 05-12-2009, 07:19 PM
Joann

OK. Sorry for another long post, but I just finally put my finger on exactly what bothers me so much about this and about the t206museum thing.

For t206m, I am exactly - exactly! - the person that could have been harmed by something like that if I had been financially able to get in that game. I've collected since 1998 or 1999 or so. I consider myself fairly knowledgeable about cards, but am in that intermediate stage of expertise that would have led me right to those cards.

Like I know enough to know that the black overprint would be extremely rare, but am still too green to know the history of the red overprints, the fact that the blacks all started appearing in 2000 (when I was still so new this would not have been on my radar). I'm not the immersed expert that had fuller context.

And similarly with this Kevin thing. I'm unnerved because if someone like Kevin wanted to get an altered card into my collection, he probably could - and maybe an expensive one too. I've progressed enough to think I know what's good and bad, but up against really sophisticated alterations that fool graders - not a chance.

I am really uncomfortable reading that someone would make even a casual threat like that. Because right now, I feel like the biggest thing that protects me from advanced frauds like black overprints and expert alterations is my belief that people in this hobby just don't do that sort of thing.

I don't like realizing that they do, or might.

J
Old 05-12-2009, 07:32 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmk59 View Post
I am really uncomfortable reading that someone would make even a casual threat like that.
Sadly, it wasn't a threat; it was an admission of something already done. And first it's an "inside joke" (btw, how can an inside joke be told from one person to another in the privacy of an email exchange?) and now it's angry venting -- two totally different things.
Old 05-12-2009, 08:40 PM

This thread is another disturbing topic....I don't know Kevin but after reading all this it's hard to rationalize his explanation. Think it's time to go watch the NBA playoffs.
Old 05-12-2009, 08:57 PM
Peter Spaeth

Default Kevin

I agree Kevin did not express himself very well but it seems highly unlikely he could, especially without selling them, place specific cards in specific people's collections. I give him the benefit of the doubt here. Real card doctors attempt to fly under the radar, Kevin has always been very upfront about his experiments etc.
Old 05-12-2009, 09:46 PM
Josh K.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
I agree Kevin did not express himself very well but it seems highly unlikely he could, especially without selling them, place specific cards in specific people's collections. I give him the benefit of the doubt here. Real card doctors attempt to fly under the radar, Kevin has always been very upfront about his experiments etc.
My assumption, after reading the email, was that Kevin may not have provided an honest response when asked to review cards for certain collectors (which he states he has done hundreds of times). In other words, upon reviewing an altered card, he simply failed to disclose his opinion that the card was indeed altered - thereby insuring that the particular card took its place in the "targets" collection.

Of course, there are a lot of assumptions in there.

Last edited by JK; 05-12-2009 at 09:46 PM.
Old 05-12-2009, 10:03 PM
Dan Bretta

I agree with Peter. I assumed bravado (or lying). Kevin I think if he wanted to could do a lot of damage to this hobby, but it's always been my view that he was trying to help the hobby.....things seemed to turn ugly towards him on Net54 when he gave Scott Elkins an opinion on the underprint/overprint Union Leader stamp that most here disagreed with. No excuse for saying that kind of stuff even if it was in confidence, but still it's a bit far-fetched to believe he placed altered cards into many of the Net54 posters collections.
Old 05-12-2009, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK View Post
My assumption, after reading the email, was that Kevin may not have provided an honest response when asked to review cards for certain collectors (which he states he has done hundreds of times). In other words, upon reviewing an altered card, he simply failed to disclose his opinion that the card was indeed altered - thereby insuring that the particular card took its place in the "targets" collection.

Of course, there are a lot of assumptions in there.
Why would Kevin do this to Jim Crandel?
Old 05-12-2009, 10:13 PM
Josh K.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeU View Post
Why would Kevin do this to Jim Crandel?
Good point
Old 05-12-2009, 10:38 PM
Scott Mt. Joy

Default Kevin

To me this is not even in the same league as the Chan stuff. I have never even seen kevin post cards for sale and certainly not thousand dollar cards. Kevin has been open about what he is doing and I found many of his post and test my insightful. In any case it seemed to me more like bragging, granted never a good thing to do.

I do think that JK made a good point that maybe he reviewed cards and didnt give the true feedback. This could happen for many reasons, some good and some not so much. I for one would hate to tell someone that their most prized card is altered, bleh. I hate telling friends that their 80's cards are worthless when they think they have a jackpot. Also I know he is close to Jim C and how much he prizes his collection and would not want to be the one to tell him one of his best cards might be altered and with 20,000 graded PSA 8's im sure more than a couple are altered.

That said even if kevin feels a card is altered do we really know? I have two cards that PSA and SGC disagree on, one thinks its trimmed and the other said its fine so how do we really know.
Old 05-13-2009, 12:35 AM
John
J0hn McD@niel

"I do think that JK made a good point that maybe he reviewed cards and didnt give the true feedback. This could happen for many reasons, some good and some not so much. I for one would hate to tell someone that their most prized card is altered, bleh."

Scott understood but do you think I enjoyed telling the owners of the Hart card who I consider close friends their five figure card and pride of their T206 back collection was a fake?

The point is even that argument holds little water for me if you're out to make the hobby a better place you can't just do that for your pals or hold back info to protect your feelings or someone else’s IMO.

Besides I think the comments Kevin made were very telling to me regardless of how you dice it.

I never did considered Kevin quite the white knight a lot of folks did but I wasn't turned off to him either. I just always chalked Kevin up to be somewhat of a self promoting business man with an idea for a 4th party review service for big dollar cards. Not unlike the card pricing site business startups awhile back using the board as a platform etc.

Now after reading this I'm pretty clear and have come to the conclusion I would never send Kevin any $$$ cards and his creditability with me is way below that of any of the 3rd party grading companies.

Do I think Kevin is a master forger nope I think Kevin is his own biggest fan in that area.

I do feel that honest folks don’t say stuff like that or even allude to it joke or not that's what really bothers me.

I also thought the folks on here should know. I would feel pretty bad if Kevin did turn out bad later on and folks who were sending him cards got burned in someway.

With that said I do respect all of your opinions that's what is great about discussions like this.

Cheers,

John

Last edited by wonkaticket; 05-13-2009 at 12:36 AM.
Old 05-13-2009, 05:26 AM
Peter Spaeth

Default Kevin and Jim C.

My recollection is that the last time Jim C. spoke on the subject he said Kevin had NOT actually reviewed any cards for him.
Old 05-13-2009, 05:36 AM
Joann

I agree that it's hard to imagine he's done this, as I stated in my first post, because of the logistical difficulty of getting one particular card into the hands of one particular person.

But what bothers me a lot - a ton - is wondering if that has been the only reason it hasn't happened. Because it sure looks to me like the rest of it is there - the desire to do it, maybe the intent to do it, the skill to do it, possibly even the plotting or trying to figure out how to do it.

And Dan, bravado is definitely a reasonable first read. But it bothers me that it was so unsolicited and that it was a claim of something already done.

My read is that this is something he has at least considered at a level beyond idle musings. And given that he is able to make some really sophisticated alterations, that is a scary thought.

J
Old 05-13-2009, 06:49 AM
Barry Sloate

Joann- Kevin has been a good guy and despite his odd post I will give him the benefit of the doubt. But there are many people with paper restoration skills, and a percentage of them are doing bad things. And many of the cards they have expertly repaired have been submitted to grading services. I have absolutely no idea how many get caught, but I can say with certainty a percentage of them get slabbed. And these cards have circulated around the hobby. Many of them will continue to transact and never be detected, others will be intercepted. It's very unfortunate, but it's out there.
Old 05-13-2009, 06:56 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default all I will say

All I will say on this subject is that

Birds of a feather flock together.

(pun intended...sorry Jon (sic) I couldn't resist)...

Last edited by Leon; 05-13-2009 at 07:36 AM. Reason: edited out a derogatory comment and typo
Old 05-13-2009, 07:16 AM
Barry Sloate

I wish I understood Leon's cryptic message.
Old 05-13-2009, 07:25 AM
Jeff

birds/flock/chickens/feathers?
Old 05-13-2009, 07:27 AM
Dan Bretta

Barry, he's not talking about you....he's talking about Kevin and Elkins. While I think Elkins is pond scum I also don't believe he is out to screw the hobby over.
Old 05-13-2009, 07:31 AM
Peter Spaeth

Kevin is the least of the hobby's worries, for the reasons stated by Barry, among others.
Old 05-13-2009, 08:01 AM
Barry Sloate

Thanks Dan.
Old 05-13-2009, 08:06 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

I would say that the least of the hobby's worries are individuals that want to spend money on slabbed cards to build Registry sets thereby driving up prices on certain cards.

A guy who has created fake cards in the past and talks about putting them out into our community while speaking privately to a degenerate like Elkins? Probably not a major worry but certainly someone I wouldn't let near my collection. Or the poultry section of the supermarket.
Old 05-13-2009, 08:13 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default Peter S

I respectfully disagree with your last statement. Not even close. I can think of a thousand things that are less worrisome. I don't know if Kevin was talking tongue in cheek in his email but it doesn't appear that way. This puts a nail in that coffin as far as any respect there was on my part....it's completely gone and probably always will be. How could anyone ever trust that person to look at a card and give an unbiased opinion given the statements made? And no, just like our dear Mr.Chan....I ain't buying the "it was just a joke".
Old 05-13-2009, 09:11 AM
Jim VB

Was anyone but me "offended" by the pics of "Joann as Wonder Woman"? (But at the same time, I kind of liked the Lichtman pic!)
Old 05-13-2009, 09:11 AM
Peter Spaeth

Default Leon

In my opinion, we should be worried about the numerous people who are altering cards for commercial purposes and the numerous people who are knowingly selling them (and thereby facilitating the card doctors) -- not Kevin, as to whom there is no suggestion that he has done that.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 05-13-2009 at 09:30 AM. Reason: parenthetical added
Old 05-13-2009, 09:47 AM
Joann

I still think there is something worse about targeting individuals as a revenge kind of thing. I understand that card doctors that put bad cards out there for commercial purposes on a generic basis are an issue. But the idea that someone would do it in a targeted way really sets me all wrong on this.

I can't articulate why it is that targeting people for bad cards seems worse, but it does.

And as to the pictures, I think it's hilarious. He's trying to imitate Wonka's great use of photos and photoshopping, but it's a pretty superficial imitation.

J
Old 05-13-2009, 09:52 AM
marty quinn

"a joke my a$$" great job jon, and for making it public, now the whole collecting world knows of kevin, "alert" the grading co.'s, that is a joke, unreal is a good word......leon please take down his link for his website....btw if it were a joke why not say so next sentence or email??????? answer we that riddler....i always felt someone that alters cards for the hell of it were a little shady.....now we know why.......imagine what we dont know?????? very very scary....again great job jon.....like always...
Old 05-13-2009, 09:59 AM

Often, the easiest way to hide is right out in the open.
Old 05-13-2009, 10:05 AM
Barry Sloate

Even I'm pictured on that other thread...hey, I've been called worse.
Old 05-13-2009, 10:09 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

As a wise friend of mine said, I'm sure the grading companies are kicking themselves now about not taking Kevin up on his offer to work with them.
Old 05-13-2009, 10:10 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
Even I'm pictured on that other thread...hey, I've been called worse.
Barry, it's like being in the killer's shrine in Silence of the Lambs.
Old 05-13-2009, 10:20 AM
Barry Sloate

It's something like that...I think I'm guilty by association...you know, part of that mythical Net54 clique. That's okay, I'm in a good mood today, I can take it (and I've been called Sloth before, in the schoolyard).
Old 05-13-2009, 10:21 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default Peter

I guess we will agree to disagree on this one. I have precedence for the way I feel. I think, as Joann so eloquently stated, there is something different and much, much worse about doing something and targeting a group or person as opposed to a situation done
indiscriminately.

A while back I was asked how I could be friendly with Mastro Auctions IF (and that is still an "if" so far) they shill bid on a lot I won. My answer was the same as it is now. If they did it and targeted me then I would not be friendly with them anymore. If they did it across the board then it's not so personal. It's still bad, and should be punished (again, if they did it) but not like it was done to me personally. All members of Net54 should have a big problem with what Kevin said, imo. Or you can just stick your head in the sand like an ostrich (another bird pun)....and make believe it never happened.
Old 05-13-2009, 10:31 AM
Dan Bretta

Doug Allen came right on this forum and said that Mastro auctions "prepares" cards for grading which included removing creases.
Old 05-13-2009, 10:43 AM
Peter Spaeth

Default speaking of auction houses

Wouldn't it be interesting if they disclosed who their consignors were.
Old 05-13-2009, 10:47 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default Dan....prepping of cards

He also came back on the board and said they quit doing that. I think to true collectors there are mixed feelings on removing a crease or wrinkle. I am sort of undecided on it myself but I might also be the large minority and most might have an issue with it....At any rate, if I am not mistaking, they said it wasn't worth the benefit for the grief (or perception) and they quit doing it. I am pretty sure they aren't the only auction house that was doing it.....For the record Scott B and I made it a rule not to touch a card, from day 1. best regards
Old 05-13-2009, 10:48 AM
John
J0hn McD@niel

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidekellyslide View Post
Doug Allen came right on this forum and said that Mastro auctions "prepares" cards for grading which included removing creases.
Very true Dan, and Doug has also been called out before for shady stuff.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/15365...+Beloved+Hobby
Old 05-13-2009, 10:52 AM
John
J0hn McD@niel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
For the record Scott B and I made it a rule not to touch a card, from day 1. best regards
That must make shipping cards very difficult Leon?