NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-03-2005, 10:40 AM
Administrator

Default more women?

Posted By: jay behrens

I've noticed we have a Shelly and an Amy posting. Does this mean Julie is no longer the only the female board member?

Any way, hello to the new ladies, and don't worry, we are as geeky as advertized but we do have some social graces.

Jay

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming --- WOW, What a ride!

Old 02-03-2005, 10:48 AM
Administrator

Default more women?

Posted By: rob

Shelly could be short for Sheldon...but Amy is pretty much a lock name for a woman.

Old 02-03-2005, 10:52 AM
Administrator

Default more women?

Posted By: john/z28jd

Yeah i wouldnt assume that Shelly is a girl,i know 2 older gentlemen who go by that name,tho i never asked what it was short for if anything.Theres a good chance its Sheldon at least for their names

Amy cant be confused with anything else,unless its a guy posting under the name husband-of-amy

Old 02-03-2005, 11:16 AM
Administrator

Default more women?

Posted By: Josh K.

If this Board is going to get a sudden influx of women, Im going to note for the record that Im not geeky. Unless, that is, collecting bb cards is an automatic qualifier. If so, dont tell my wife.

Old 02-03-2005, 11:49 PM
Administrator

Default more women?

Posted By: Bob Marquette

Josh- vintage card collecting no longer is the turn-off to women that it once was and most collectors aren't perceived as geeky anymore. I think when the prices of cards like the T206 Wagner began surfacing to the Melissas and Tiffanys and Brittanys of the world, a new attitude surfaced. I guess a lot of them think we all have Honuses hidden away in our safes or in our portfolios. (I think comic book collectors, even golden age book collectors, still suffer from the "they are geeky" attitude from women though).
It's funny that when someone asks me if I collect baseball cards, I say I do but quickly add "only the cards from 1909-1919" (which is true by the way) to distinguish myself from the guys who have tons of 1994 Donruss cards in their garages waiting for their kids to turn 18 so they can sell them and pay for their college education (poor deluded souls). I think there is a real difference in attitude perception between "pre-war vintage card collectors" and the rest of the hobby.
Does that make me an elitist snob?

Old 02-04-2005, 05:46 AM
Administrator

Default more women?

Posted By: Bryan Long

I used to be one of those guys that collected those donruss cards and my wife used to make fun of me all the time saying that I was stuck at age 12. Once I started collecting pre-war she changed her mind saying at least these cards have history behind them. Now my collection is no different than buying an old basket - to her. She actually evens likes to learn about the history of baseball and the players on those old pieces of cardboard. She doesn't understand why I pay the money that I do but she quickly changes her mind when I sell one of them

Old 02-04-2005, 07:33 AM
Administrator

Default more women?

Posted By: Josh K.

I hope my post conveyed that I was only kidding - Im not really too worried about what others think of collecting bb cards - I enjoy it, so Im good. The funny thing is, while my wife doesnt find it odd that I collect cards, I dont think she really knows how much these little things cost. If she finds out, my collection may start shrinking:)

In addition to my growing vintage collection, I have many of those worthless cards from the 80's. I started collecting cards as a kid in the 70's and early 80's until I went to high school. The oldest cards I ever collected dated to the 50's (unfortunately, despite growing up only 30 minutes from the House of Cards, I had no clue as a kid that I could buy cards from the early 1900's). When I finally got back into the hobby (about 2 years ago) it didnt take long to discover the prewar issues - though I still consider myself somewhat of a novice vintage collector. Its been fun and its a great way to connect with the game's history. Sorry to ramble.

Old 02-04-2005, 10:27 AM
Administrator

Default more women?

Posted By: Josh A.

Josh K.,
That is the same reason I got back into collecting. I used to buy all the newer issues, when I was in high school in the mid 90's. I too got back into collecting about a year ago, and find pre-war cards, especially Goudeys, so much more fun to collect.
And yes, if my girlfriend ever found out how much I spend on cards, she'd flip!

Old 02-05-2005, 04:14 PM
Administrator

Default more women?

Posted By: Julie

selling my smoke damaged and once very gently taped near rookie Ruth, and there were a lot of women in line, and all of them were interested in the card. They all knew about the big fat guy on spindly legs who hit all the home runs, but they were fascinated by Ruth the pitcher. Also, when I told them what a M101-4 (not 5) would bring in mint condition.

I answered Amy's question about whether Verkman's stuff ever sold below your limit bid, but I didn;t say, hello, GIRL. I might have e-mailed her if she'd signed in with an e-mail address, but she didn't.